HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 8:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
that maybe so but theres all sorts of programs that are being thrown at the poor people that can help if people just look...
Can you provide some examples?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 1:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Allowing the poor to keep more of their income would help them more than anything else. "Programs" are nothing but ways to build bureaucracy - very little of the money allocated actually gets to the poor.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 1:57 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Allowing the poor to keep more of their income would help them more than anything else.
Low income people pay less than 10% income tax, and most of the things they buy (or at least, need) are not taxed. In Ontario, low income people receive a tax rebate that exceeds what they pay in sales taxes and get most of their income taxes back in the spring. I only paid $22 in tax on my last paycheque for the equivalent of 50 hours of minimum wage. The Manitoba equivalent wouldn't be more than $25 in taxes. It's not much of a saving but it would help.

I know a lot of people who found jobs with the assistance of government funded programmes.

There are two main reasons government funded programmes "don't work" (even though they do)

1: They are not advertised well enough, and are voluntary, so many people do not hear about them. Some require referrals from social workers who themselves might be unaware of them, so many people don't know what it out there to help them

2: Programs get cut, re-named or re-organized too frequently, resulting in confusing, people dropping out, staff being laid off, or people in the course losing their eligibility because of criteria changes and being put into other, less effective programmes (if programmes for them exist anymore). Ask anyone who has gone through a government funded employment programme, the biggest topic other than job skills is "It's a good thing you're in the course now because next week we're shutting down". The guy who helped me find my job was also looking for a job because the government cut funding to the programme that was employing him! It's a farce.

You get a sense that the government doesn't really want people to succeed, and that sentiments like "we should just let poor people do everything themselves" is just a way for the government to say "it's not our fault" and wash their hands of the whole situation.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 5:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Can you provide some examples?
ever herd of build?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:26 PM

Four more years of NDP. Oh well...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...234034381.html

Where do the PCs pick these guys? If Brian said instead that his first priority was to bring a English premier league football team to Manitoba, I would have voted for him...

McFayden is starting to look real good now...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Four more years of NDP. Oh well...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...234034381.html

Where do the PCs pick these guys? If Brian said instead that his first priority was to bring a English premier league football team to Manitoba, I would have voted for him...

McFayden is starting to look real good now...
Will he get the same free pass that PET Lite received after his admiration of Communist China? I doubt it.
This too shall pass. Selinger is a dead man walking.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 4:35 PM

NDP support dwindling: poll
Governing party 'near historic lows'

The NDP is approaching territory it hasn't seen since the late 1980s when a $334-million deficit, fallout from the French-language dispute and rising vehicle insurance costs saw voters punt the party from office. In the 1988 election, the NDP's popular support dropped to 24 per cent from 41 per cent in 1986.

"This is near historic lows," MacKay said of the NDP's current numbers. "Not since the 1980s have things been this bad. The 22-point spread between the Tories and NDP is just huge."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...237459001.html

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 7:51 AM

Orange or Blue this province is screwed.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 3:43 PM

Well, I'm not very political in nature normally, but sometimes change is needed for the sake of change and the status quo/current situation is just not acceptable any more.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 7:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

. the curentt government is also switching to the mind that they will get voted out next election

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Orange or Blue this province is screwed.
Do you know what you get when you mix Orange and Blue together? a very shitty brown color similar to Bull Shit Brown.

Why not chose one of the other pretty colors.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 6:34 PM
I am a typical

Yes, mix some red in with the shitty brown. That's never alarming!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:56 PM

Selinger among least-popular premiers: poll
Angus Reid

This headline shocked me this morning, could it be an error?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:34 PM

Captions under photo appreciated..Have a great weekend.

example: "Oh Sh....., How Am I going to spin this Cluster F......."

Source

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 5:55 PM

I am very pleased to see the Liberals at 23%, up from 8% in the 2011 election.

http://www.probe-research.com/docume...0Standings.pdf

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 6:07 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatiite View Post
I am very pleased to see the Liberals at 23%, up from 8% in the 2011 election.

http://www.probe-research.com/docume...0Standings.pdf
Good that they're picking up the pace, but they have until next year to gain the advantage over the 2 parties. Perhaps it's time to make them relevant again, enough to at the very least, have a minority government. I seriously don't trust the PCs at all, and the NDP has stabbed Manitobans in the back more so than before.

If the Liberal Party of Manitoba wants to jump into the action, now would be a very good time to do that.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 6:12 PM

A good start for the Liberals would be to run reasonable candidates in most ridings in the next election and get their leader elected.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 8:02 PM

At least there is some agreement, no matter which way you may lean politically that change is a necessary factor in changing the direction the Province of Manitoba is moving in.
Acceptance is always a good first step.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
At least there is some agreement, no matter which way you may lean politically that change is a necessary factor in changing the direction the Province of Manitoba is moving in.
Acceptance is always a good first step.
Change IS necessary.

Disclaimer: I do not consider myself a partisan individual. My voting record provincially has been Green, Liberal, and Declined Ballot, and federally, Green and NDP. Ironically, I would have voted Reform had I been of age when they were in existence. I am a pro-development, pro-science, pro-nationalist, pro-social welfare, pro-regulations kinda guy, with one caveat: you have to invest in the process for it to matter.

I am convinced that neither the NDP or PC will 'get the job done', so to speak. Are the Liberals any better? I honestly don't know. But I am willing to give them a chance, and I hope in the next election many Manitobans do.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatiite View Post
Change IS necessary.

Disclaimer: I do not consider myself a partisan individual. My voting record provincially has been Green, Liberal, and Declined Ballot, and federally, Green and NDP. Ironically, I would have voted Reform had I been of age when they were in existence. I am a pro-development, pro-science, pro-nationalist, pro-social welfare, pro-regulations kinda guy, with one caveat: you have to invest in the process for it to matter.

I am convinced that neither the NDP or PC will 'get the job done', so to speak. Are the Liberals any better? I honestly don't know. But I am willing to give them a chance, and I hope in the next election many Manitobans do.
Even though I used red to high light above, Blue,Red,Green...would have made no difference. I think your sentence is something that not many could disagree with, just like this forum, or any political forum, sometimes you have to shuffle the deck, get a few new cards in the mix to here a different point of view, not the same old that we here in Manitoba and for that matter Winnipeg are so accustomed to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan