HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I used to think the CRJ's were great, but they really are crappy. They can't fly in very cold weather or blowing snow. Hey, this is Canada. They are made in Canada! The other day I watched a WestJet 737 depart right besides the DL and UA CRJ's that were grounded. The pilot explained to me the low limits of the CRJ's. I have been stranded by CRJ's numerous times just this past year.
The CRJs are business jets that were outfitted with airline passenger seats. When Air Canada first bought them and operated them as mainline aircraft it was before open skies between Canada and the US and there was loophole in the treaty that permitted them to operate the aircraft on routes that were not pre-determined in the treaty.

I think Jazz has an easier time with them in Cold weather that the US airlines. Not certain why, perhaps different regulations or they have procedures in place for operating in colder environments.

They came, and now will go away. What would be cool is if Air Canada started to fly the C-series. That is an aircraft that is much more suited to the Saskatoon to Toronto market.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The CRJs are business jets that were outfitted with airline passenger seats. When Air Canada first bought them and operated them as mainline aircraft it was before open skies between Canada and the US and there was loophole in the treaty that permitted them to operate the aircraft on routes that were not pre-determined in the treaty.

I think Jazz has an easier time with them in Cold weather that the US airlines. Not certain why, perhaps different regulations or they have procedures in place for operating in colder environments.

They came, and now will go away. What would be cool is if Air Canada started to fly the C-series. That is an aircraft that is much more suited to the Saskatoon to Toronto market.
Yes more kin to the Embraer the C-Series is. Smart call by Bombardier.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I used to think the CRJ's were great, but they really are crappy. They can't fly in very cold weather or blowing snow. Hey, this is Canada. They are made in Canada! The other day I watched a WestJet 737 depart right besides the DL and UA CRJ's that were grounded. The pilot explained to me the low limits of the CRJ's. I have been stranded by CRJ's numerous times just this past year.
The Embraer 170/190s suffer the same as well. I've heard numerous stories of cold wx trouble with them. (After all, they're built in Brazil's jungle for pete's sake.)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Yes more kin to the Embraer the C-Series is. Smart call by Bombardier.
Almost closer to the old DC-9 that Air Canada and Northwest use to fly.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:44 PM
ConstructionPete

Domestic airfare hike highest in Saskatoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention that, on yesterday's NewsTalk with John Gormley, there was a discussion that it costs an average $182 to depart YQR; and $190 to depart out of YXE.

I didn't catch the whole program; however, they were saying something about 'demand vs. supply' as to the reason. Did any of you guys catch that discussion?
Here it is....

Domestic airfare hike highest in Saskatoon
Febuary 20, 2014
Phil Tank
The LeaderPost

A rise in airfares to locations in Canada from Saskatoon reflects the substantial increase in passenger volume, says the city airport's president and CEO.

But Saskatoon Airport Authority president Stephen Maybury cautioned Wednesday not to read too much in a Statistic Canada study suggesting that Saskatoon domestic airline passengers got hit with the largest average fare increase in 2012 over the year before.

Average fares from Saskatoon to destinations within Canada rose 6.2 per cent to $190.10 from $178.80, which represented the largest hike among the 10 cities included in the Statistics Canada study.

"It tells a story, but it doesn't necessarily tell the whole story," said Maybury. "There are so many variables in the booking of airfares.

"There's just so many moving parts to this."

A record 1.389 million passengers either arrived or departed through Saskatoon's John G. Diefenbaker Airport in 2013, which represented a 4.7 per cent increase (or 63,000 more passengers) over the 1.326 million passengers in 2012, said Maybury.

"That's the really exciting part," he said.

In December, which is a peak month for air travel, passenger volume at the airport rose 8.8 per cent over December 2012, he said.

Read more....

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 10:13 PM
ConstructionPete

Canada Jetlines

Has anyone heard any further news about Canada Jetlines? Since it announced its proposed ULCC plan for western Canada late last year, I haven't heard anything new? Was this a pipe dream or is there some behind the scenes working going-on?

Found an article from March 13. Nothing really new...

Last edited by kalin_10; Apr 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM. Reason: New Link

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I wonder when Air Canada will start flying the A320/319 to Saskatoon again? OR when they get their new B737 Max that would be great!
AC flew this aircraft last summer to YXE..Last flight of the day (AC1129) from YYZ was on the 320 as I was on it several times.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 8:49 PM
ConstructionPete

Exclamation YXE May Lose United Flight

I was speaking with an employee who is contracted out by United Airlines this weekend. There is a possiblity that United will be pulling 1 or more of their morning flights from YXE. The reason given is that due to the expansion, not enough gates are available for all departing flights in the morning and thus United keeps taking delays in the morning. United Aircraft are also forced to park during the evening at an Apron near cargo services and thus is causing delays because of the time it takes to pull the aircraft over to the gates. Obviously the cost of these delays are piling up to the point where it's not viable for United to service YXE during the expansion.

Does anyone else have information to add?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
I was speaking with an employee who is contracted out by United Airlines this weekend. There is a possiblity that United will be pulling 1 or more of their morning flights from YXE. The reason given is that due to the expansion, not enough gates are available for all departing flights in the morning and thus United keeps taking delays in the morning. United Aircraft are also forced to park during the evening at an Apron near cargo services and thus is causing delays because of the time it takes to pull the aircraft over to the gates. Obviously the cost of these delays are piling up to the point where it's not viable for United to service YXE during the expansion.

I have not been on the United flight to Denver for over 6 months, things may have changed. I use to fly down fairly regularly and if you had good conditions going down the major problem was arriving early. You pull up to the gate, the airline would be prohibited from opening the door to the aircraft until the customs people were in place. Customs did not open until 8:00. You were usually stuck there for 15-20 minutes not being allowed to deplane. On the good side, they were able to off-load the backs and when you did arrive at customs your bags were already there. The only other flight that arrived that time in customs was the flight from Regina.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:

United (Express) has more problems than that, last time I've flown the morning flight to Denver, it was delayed over an hour, missed my connection because they had to call a mechanic to release the parking park. Same flight several months before was cancelled because pilot couldn't pressurize cabin, took over an hour on phone to rebook. I had given up flying this morning flight to Denver, last time flying to US I took another airline through Calgary.. as I was boarding my plane that morning, I couldn't help but hear over public address system that the Denver morning flight was cancelled that particular morning too, so glad I didn't book with them that morning.
And its not just me, other people I know have been delayed by booking morning flights to Denver with United..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:47 PM

Well, I will be taking an afternoon flight on United Express down to Denver this Friday. Hopefully by travelling at a different time of day, I don't experience any of the same issues as the morning flights (especially since I have a connection to make). That said, I do have a morning United Express flight to Chicago later this month, so... yeah.

I don't know about mechanical issues, but I believe United does have a tendency to delay or cancel flights in weather conditions even remotely approaching 'marginal'.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Well, I will be taking an afternoon flight on United Express down to Denver this Friday. Hopefully by travelling at a different time of day, I don't experience any of the same issues as the morning flights (especially since I have a connection to make). That said, I do have a morning United Express flight to Chicago later this month, so... yeah.

I don't know about mechanical issues, but I believe United does have a tendency to delay or cancel flights in weather conditions even remotely approaching 'marginal'.
I have had at least 4 United flights cancelled in the last year. Some mechanical, but most weather. The pilots say the CRJ-200 has a very low weather rating compared to an A320 or even a newer CRJ.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:42 PM

YXE Phase II

After the hoopla of the opening of Phase I in Nov., it's like all interest in the latest construction has vanished. The airport removed the webcam and not one pic of P II has surfaced. Are they working on the site? Is there no one with a camera around to take and post some pics? I would do it but I live in BC and haven't been home in close to 2 years. I just don't get the total lack of interest in this project now. How do other readers feel? Am I out to lunch on this?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 7:30 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba17 View Post
After the hoopla of the opening of Phase I in Nov., it's like all interest in the latest construction has vanished. The airport removed the webcam and not one pic of P II has surfaced. Are they working on the site? Is there no one with a camera around to take and post some pics? I would do it but I live in BC and haven't been home in close to 2 years. I just don't get the total lack of interest in this project now. How do other readers feel? Am I out to lunch on this?
I don't have access to the secure side of the ATB or the aprons anymore so I'm unable to get those photos. I have requested some photos from others that I know there. At this point, phase II is just a dirt hole in the ground fenced in with all the building materials. Inside the ATB, it's all blocked off so to get photos of the renovations inside would require someone working with the construction crews. It was quite awhile with PHASE I before any of the physical structure went up because of the underground services and the basement 'tunels' being constructed. I'm thinking this would be the same case with Phase II

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
I don't have access to the secure side of the ATB or the aprons anymore so I'm unable to get those photos. I have requested some photos from others that I know there. At this point, phase II is just a dirt hole in the ground fenced in with all the building materials. Inside the ATB, it's all blocked off so to get photos of the renovations inside would require someone working with the construction crews. It was quite awhile with PHASE I before any of the physical structure went up because of the underground services and the basement 'tunels' being constructed. I'm thinking this would be the same case with Phase II
Thanks for your response. At least we were able to watch the hole in the ground on webcam in P I. Any idea if P II is behind schedule or not? Nobody able to get airside shots?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 7:31 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba17 View Post
Thanks for your response. At least we were able to watch the hole in the ground on webcam in P I. Any idea if P II is behind schedule or not? Nobody able to get airside shots?
I've actually spoken to someone from SAA who is going to get me some photo's of Phase II. Not sure when they will get them to me, but when they do, I will be sure to post them.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I've actually spoken to someone from SAA who is going to get me some photo's of Phase II. Not sure when they will get them to me, but when they do, I will be sure to post them.
Thank you for that.

Do you have any idea why they didn't just reposition the webcam to show the new construction?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:59 AM
ConstructionPete

Phase II Construction Update

Courtesy of The Saskatoon Airport Authority

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:20 AM

Thank you!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:17 AM

Regina's terminal building saw 1,227,224 pax pass through in 2013 - an increase of 3.5% (41,509 pax) over 2012.

CTV News

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan