HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 10:00 PM

Uptown at Falls Park

New renderings have been released for the next project in the Uptown at Falls Park development.

The DeKalb building at 522 N. Main Ave. will be demolished and replaced with a four-story building for loft apartments.

Lloyd Cos. is developing the lofts and hopes construction gets under way this fall.

The main level will have 8,000 square feet of office or retail space, and developers have secured an office tenant for half of it. The upper floors will house 36 lofts, including 24 two-bedroom units with decks that range between 1,200 and 1,400 square feet.

The project also will include 50 underground parking spaces.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:18 AM

58.08% vote in favor of the new events center!
http://keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=123322
(I got the 58.08% number from the city website, but I didn't know if the page there was permanent so I linked a story from a local tv station)
I'm glad that this passed. I would have liked to see this build downtown, but I'm just glad to see it finally built.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 2:24 AM
Boomer

So, we are verge of losing $35 million in federal funding to relocate the downtown railroad tracks to make way for commercial development? Frankly, I cannot believe this is not a front page story titled "Epic Failure." Frustrating. Anyone know when this funding was approved? I know moving railroad tracks is no small endeavor, but $35M might be some incentive to throw some significant resources at it. Damn, $35 million.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 7:39 PM

They've officially opened the first phase of the riverwalk in downtown.
The ribbon cutting

An overview of the area. Cherapa Place is the building to the right.

There are a lot of good things going on. The Lumber Exchange (CNA) building just opened up. The next door Hilton Garden Inn is planned to start soon. A couple apartment buildings are planned in the uptown area of North Main.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 2:48 AM
Boomer

I like the direction the "river walk" is going. I thought I heard the intent was to bring it all the way to Fawick park. That would be very impressive.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:07 AM

That's the plan. The next phase is the section South of there where the Lumber Exchange (CNA) building and future hotel is. There's diagrams of the whole plan in the lobby of Cherapa Place.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 10:01 PM

Sanford Hotel

Looks like sanford is going to build a hotel next to their new "Pentagon" sports complex. I'm thinking that this will be a very nice retail area in the next few years...
http://siouxfallsbusinessjournal.arg...-near-Pentagon

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 7:05 PM

Downtown project update

Here are renderings for three projects that are planned for downtown. All article and rendering credits go to Sioux Falls Business Journal.

New riverfront Garden Inn:

New images of the future Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Sioux Falls along the Big Sioux River show the five-story hotel will tie in closely to the developing riverfront. A groundbreaking on the five-story hotel and conference center is planned for 11:30 a.m. Sept. 12.

Loft apartments near City Hall:

A new five-story building of loft apartments is planned for downtown across Dakota Avenue from City Hall. Legacy Development and Consulting, which also worked on lofts at the Security Building and as part of the Uptown project, has property under contract at 115 and 117 N. Dakota Ave.

Townhouse Square on Phillips Ave:

Developer Don Dunham wants to move forward with plans for downtown condominiums, and initial meetings with future homeowners showed so much interest, the building might be bigger than originally thought.
Dunham is calling the project Townhouse Square. It would be on a city-owned parking lot on Phillips Avenue between 12th and 13th streets.
“The top four floors are already pre-sold,” Dunham said. “And we’ve talked about going up one more floor. This (revised) plan also has underground parking, so we won’t need ramp parking.”

Also I read about another residential building planned for the area around the downtown Sunshine Foods, but I could not find any renderings for that.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 3:02 PM

Permits

Credit: Sioux Falls Business Journal

Sioux Falls trails only Omaha in building activity so far this year, according to a comparison done by the city with several regional communities.

Through August, Sioux Falls permitted $300.5 million in construction projects. That’s behind Omaha’s $395.6 million, but ahead of Des Moines at $184 million and Fargo at $188 million.

Sioux Falls also has permitted 867 total housing units, also second only to Omaha with 1,330 housing units. Des Moines has permitted 265 units, and Fargo has done 663 units.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 9:51 PM

Dick's Sporting Goods

Credit:Sioux Falls Business Journal

Dick's Sporting Goods has filed for an initial $4 million building permit to put a store at The Empire Mall.

Dick's is a full-line sporting goods retailer offering brand name sporting goods equipment, apparel and footwear.

"Unfortunately, we don't have any information to share at this time," said Jennifer Morrison, the mall's director of marketing and business development. That's what mall executives typically say until a lease is signed.

As of Oct. 27, 2012, the company operated 511 Dick's Sporting Goods stores in 44 states.

It was founded in 1948 in Binghamton, N.Y., and now is a publicly traded company.

Check back at sfbj.com for updates on when the store will open and where it will be in the mall.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 7:33 PM

I had the day off so I decided to do some wandering around downtown and took some pictures of the newest developments

Uptown developments:
City Center apartments in the background along Main ave. and work starting on the Phillips Ave. Lofts in the foreground (apparently replacing the previously planned Arches buildings)

Uptown Exchange Lofts along Main ave.

Elsewhere in downtown:
Loft apartments going up on Dakota ave. across from city hall.

Reference image from Brian77's post

Work on the Hilton Garden Inn

Reference image from Brian77's post

Refurbishing of the Raven Industries headquarters

And they replaced the railroad bridge over Phillips ave. going to Falls Park.

No updates on the Townhouse Square project on Phillips ave.
Other news:
The Denny Sanford Premier Center is coming along good. They're currently installing roof beams.
Five Guys Burgers is set to open in August at 10th and Minnesota.
Noodles and Company opened up in the old Cici's location at 57th and Louise ave. Panda Express is opening in a strip mall being built in the old Sinclare station by the Empire Mall.
Work has started at the Costco location.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 10:09 PM

Sanford Sports Complex

Sanford Health has invested in a sports complex in Sioux Falls. It is really starting to take shape. Below you will see the Field House, Pentagon, 9 outdoor football fields each with its own digital scoreboard, a new restaurant (Beef "O' Brady's) and a new hotel. The future holds a three rink ice center, indoor tennis complex, along with more retail and restaurants.

Sanford Field house
4 indoor practice fields, gym, and offices

Sanford Pentagon
A total of 9 courts (when bleachers are folded in) including 1 large Heritage court. (Opens with a preseason NBA game and a nice NCAA game)

image from VisitSiouxFalls.com

New Hotel and Beef O Brady's (in front of the hotel)

Football Fields

Tennis Facility

Scheels Ice Center

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:50 PM
Boomer

Fate of SF Arena

Anyone heard anything about the plan for the old metal barn we call the Arena? I can't believe the city is willing to invest in the building, so why not level it and create more floor space for the convention center? The maintenance and upkeep costs must be obscene for a building that old.

Long time, no post. Hope you are all doing well.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 3:19 AM

I toured the Sanford Pentagon during one of the open houses. Nice facility.
Some shots of the Heritage Court

As far as I know, they're gonna leave the old arena and use it for smaller events or as floor space for conventions.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 5:10 PM

New city of Sioux Falls population est.

Source: City of Sioux Falls

3,500 People Moved to Sioux Falls in 2013: Population Estimate Now 162,300

The City of Sioux Falls has completed its year-end evaluation of growth and is estimating the December 31, 2013, population for Sioux Falls to be 162,300. This is a 3,500-person increase from last year and a 2.2 percent annual increase.

The population of Sioux Falls has grown by almost 28,000 people during the last ten years and has shown a 1.64 percent average annual increase during that same period.

“Sioux Falls continues to see this steady, efficient growth because of many factors including diverse employment opportunities, fiscally sound government, strong local economy, a safe and secure place to raise children, and support for quality of life advances,” says Jeffrey Schmitt, Chief Planning and Zoning Official.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 3:48 AM

Here's some pictures from the Denny Sanford Premier Center. It's coming along pretty good.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 9:23 PM

If anyone is still checking this page, here are a couple interesting links from Keloland and the Argus Leader.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...lock/28594901/

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...lls/?id=181762

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 12:30 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpower27 View Post
If anyone is still checking this page, here are a couple interesting links from Keloland and the Argus Leader.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...lock/28594901/

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...lls/?id=181762
Thanks for the updates. I use to follow this thread (off & on), and thought it had died. It looks like Sioux Falls is still getting things done.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 5:38 AM
BANNED

Sioux Falls, where you at bros? I thought you had development coming out the ying yang? What's going on in Siouxtown?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Sioux Falls, where you at bros? I thought you had development coming out the ying yang? What's going on in Siouxtown?
Honestly, the last time I was here I couldn't even find this thread

There's a few developments in the works. Washington Square, which will be in the open parking lot East of the Washington Pavilion is set to begin building in May http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...main/24337477/

There's a mixed use, city/private development being planned along the river East of the building that has Skelly's pub called "The Banks" http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...ject/71260078/ I'm not sure if that's the most up to date renderings of it, though. http://www.siouxfalls.org/parkingramp This one is more up to date. There's a few other developments in the works.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest