HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:10 PM

I'm more looking forward to the offseason....specifically what happens with the goalies.

Would be nice if we could get even a league average goal tender in net.

But doubtful it will happen.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:57 PM

What do you think about Halak? I would love to see him in Jets colours come October. There's a bit of a limited supply out there. Unless you want an older, used up, goalie. Then there's lots of choice!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I'm more looking forward to the offseason....specifically what happens with the goalies.

Would be nice if we could get even a league average goal tender in net.

But doubtful it will happen.
I think there is a very good chance they buyout Pavs. Starting Hutchison the last couple games of the season increases those odds imo - wanted to see if they have a viable backup there at least.

Quite a few opportunities for a modest (Reimer) or substantial (Halak) upgrade this off-season. No excuse for the Jets not to upgrade when supply is greater than demand across the league.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 4:57 PM

Maurice returning to coach NHL's Jets

Guess his family said yes.

Paul Maurice, who stated remaining in Winnipeg would be a family decision, is staying behind the bench of the Jets.

Maurice and the NHL club have agreed to a four-year contract.

Source

Good news, imo

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What do you think about Halak? I would love to see him in Jets colours come October. There's a bit of a limited supply out there. Unless you want an older, used up, goalie. Then there's lots of choice!
I'd love to see halak in a jets jersey too. pretty much all of those older used up goalies would be a big upgrade to Pavlec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I think there is a very good chance they buyout Pavs. Starting Hutchison the last couple games of the season increases those odds imo - wanted to see if they have a viable backup there at least.

Quite a few opportunities for a modest (Reimer) or substantial (Halak) upgrade this off-season. No excuse for the Jets not to upgrade when supply is greater than demand across the league.
I do agree he should be bought out and if we want to have a shot at the playoffs next season we need even an average goal tender. I'm sure jets management has the stats sheets available, I'm sure they see his numbers. Not sure they'll do anything though. I feel they will just stand pat. I'm hopeful but doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Maurice returning to coach NHL's Jets

Guess his family said yes.

Paul Maurice, who stated remaining in Winnipeg would be a family decision, is staying behind the bench of the Jets.

Maurice and the NHL club have agreed to a four-year contract.

Source

Good news, imo
Fantastic news. Maurice is what the Jets need in a coach.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:41 PM

Unfortunately, Chevy made this comment:

"Yes, Ondrej Pavelec is the No. 1 goalie going into next season," Cheveldayoff said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...255488131.html

Edit: Hopefully it's one of those "Oh look, we have confidence in our goalie. He's so great. Now that we've upsold him, how much would you give us in return?!"

Last edited by bomberjet; Apr 16, 2014 at 5:43 PM. Reason: Added stuff.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:

"Yes, Ondrej Pavelec is the No. 1 goalie going into next season," Cheveldayoff said.

Doesn't sound like he's entertaining a buyout but it might be too early in the post season yet

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Edit: Hopefully it's one of those "Oh look, we have confidence in our goalie. He's so great. Now that we've upsold him, how much would you give us in return?!"
Really, what is he supposed to say? I want them to buy out Pav's too but he is right.....as of right now Pavelec is our starting goalie. If he said anything else or paused, it would have been open season by the media. lots can change over the summer.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 7:53 PM

I don't know. Say we're reviewing all options for the team. Or we're not discussing this right now, or something. So now if he buys out or trades he's just another filthy liar. I'm hoping for lot's of change this summer. Trade Pavelec and Buff. Get a top line winger and bolster the bottom 2 lines. Keep Kane. Lines as follows:

Kane-Scheifele-New RW
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
New LW-Jokinen-Frolik
New LW-Slater-New RW

Trouba-Enstrom
Bogosian-Stuart
Clitsome-Somebody else

New Goalie-Huckleby?/Hutchinson

Maybe Kane/Scheifele line isn't quite there, so LLW stays as first line for now. I think Yolks should be around for another year. Slater is good when healthy. We're stuck with Enstrom for a while I think too.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:01 PM

Hard to say either way with Pavelec. At this point he's #1 no matter how much we may dislike the decision. Could this change drastically at the beginning of the new season/training camp, of course. Will he remain #1, can't speculate as of yet, until someone steps up and takes that job. Could be later could be sooner. Too early to tell either way.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:03 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I don't know. Say we're reviewing all options for the team. Or we're not discussing this right now, or something. So now if he buys out or trades he's just another filthy liar.
I think if he says something like that, it just shows their displeasure with the goal-tending situation and doesn't keep their options open.

They are all liars to the media, because the media would make an even bigger story out of "No Comment".
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:27 PM

Quote:

New Goalie-Huckleby?/Hutchinson

We're stuck with Enstrom for a while I think too.
Monty is still in play here, can't rule him out as of yet. yes UFA

I don't find much of a problem with Enstrom at this point, other than CAP hit and the obvious, too little ,especially in the western conference. We better have a really good replacement for him if we ever let him go. Makes most D look pretty good when paired with him.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think if he says something like that, it just shows their displeasure with the goal-tending situation and doesn't keep their options open.

They are all liars to the media, because the media would make an even bigger story out of "No Comment".
True. I just like to hope that they're so loyal to their fan base they will not lead us wrong!

Quote:
Monty is still in play here, can't rule him out as of yet. yes UFA

I don't find much of a problem with Enstrom at this point, other than CAP hit and the obvious, too little ,especially in the western conference. We better have a really good replacement for him if we ever let him go. Makes most D look pretty good when paired with him.
You're right about Monty. I guess my personal opinion is he won't work out. But haven't really seen him get the full on starting position.

And Enstrom is just too small, like you said. He's smart, but just get's knocked around in the corners. And for the 5M+ per, seems a bit high to me. I can live with him on the team though. He was in my pool this winter and was disappointing compared to his totals form last year. Maybe that's where my bias comes from!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:17 PM

Jets co-owner Chipman says adding seats in planning stage

Chipman-
"We've looked at a plan to build some loge seating which would basically hang off the 300 level so we're going through the engineering and studying that, currently," Chipman said Wednesday. "But we're only talking about 250, maybe 300 seats, not thousands.
- freep

Ice Caps possibly to play at MTS if the Thunder Bay arena is not ready?

Nice little add I wasn't aware of, Minor but part of the $30M 5 year upgrade plan at MTS.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Jets co-owner Chipman says adding seats in planning stage

Chipman-
"We've looked at a plan to build some loge seating which would basically hang off the 300 level so we're going through the engineering and studying that, currently," Chipman said Wednesday. "But we're only talking about 250, maybe 300 seats, not thousands.
- freep

Ice Caps possibly to play at MTS if the Thunder Bay arena is not ready?

Nice little add I wasn't aware of, Minor but part of the $30M 5 year upgrade plan at MTS.
I can't quite visualize how that might look... before the Jets came back, some fans at Jetsowner.com had illustrated where more skyboxes might fit at the very top of the 300 level (not all the way around, but mainly just in the ends where there is enough room for them). I wonder if that is now happening?

I always thought it would be interesting to see another one, maybe even two rows added to the very front of the 300 level... it would add several hundred absolutely prime seats and I can't imagine it would obstruct the views of the existing skyboxes at all...

In any event, the expansion of the MTS Centre's seating capacity might finally scratch my itch about the new rink having fewer seats than the old one. (Incidentally, can you believe that the MTS Centre is going to be 10 years old this fall?!)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:07 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:

Chevy can't really say anything else but that. Since he hasn't dealt for a new number one goaltender yet.

If he was to show any doubt of Pavelec to the media it would immediately drop the value he would get for him in a trade. It would be like trying to sell a used car and telling ever prospective buyer how you are getting rid of the car because it is "a piece of crap".

My hunch is that Chevy will be looking to trade Pavs and Kane in the off season. Until then he will tell the media he has complete confidence in both of them.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:13 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Trouba-Enstrom
Bogosian-Stuart
Clitsome-Somebody else
Any combination of the following would make up a decent 3rd defensive pairing.

- Clitsome
- Redmond
- Postma
- Melchiori

I would also rather continue to see Stuart paired with Trouba.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can't quite visualize how that might look... before the Jets came back, some fans at Jetsowner.com had illustrated where more skyboxes might fit at the very top of the 300 level (not all the way around, but mainly just in the ends where there is enough room for them). I wonder if that is now happening?

I always thought it would be interesting to see another one, maybe even two rows added to the very front of the 300 level... it would add several hundred absolutely prime seats and I can't imagine it would obstruct the views of the existing skyboxes at all...

In any event, the expansion of the MTS Centre's seating capacity might finally scratch my itch about the new rink having fewer seats than the old one. (Incidentally, can you believe that the MTS Centre is going to be 10 years old this fall?!)
I can't picture it as of yet myself Esq., even though it is in it's preliminary stage. Would be nice though, prime seating no doubt.

Yes, me too there is something about 15,004 that doesn't quite sit right with me. I realize 300 seats is a small amount, but 15,300 has a better ring to it, I realize that sounds vain, but that's my feeling.

Damn, a Decade already? Has it been that long since we said farewell to Eaton's? I used to go their quite frequently.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:40 PM

Where would these seats be added without obstructing the view of people in the upper deck? The ice is alread obstructed for a lot of seats up there cause of the overhang

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:49 PM

^My thoughts exactly cheswick. Seems the loge seating would be over top the outdoor seats of the suites below. So it would then make sense that views from the 300 level could be obstructed by the people using the loge seating. I would assume they wouldn't build the new seating so the actual structure would block views from the upper deck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan