HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 12:25 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Image:

Source

Can't believe it's getting close to this time of year already..March/April...We'll see soon enough..
We're just a month and a few days away from spring. This winter has been brutally cold, but with a crap load of snow.

Hopefully there won't be another snow storm within the next two months. *knocks on wood*

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

There is only a lot of snow locally, down south the snow cover is below average. The ground also has low moisture content. No worries about a flood unless thing change drastically between now and spring.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 3:01 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

I would love to see some concern of a flood as it would mean the snow is actually starting to melt at a decent rate.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
There is only a lot of snow locally, down south the snow cover is below average. The ground also has low moisture content. No worries about a flood unless thing change drastically between now and spring.
You forget floods are not always from southern waters. Takes one ice dam and we are $;()Ed Also we have a lot of snow out west which comes right through the city.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:49 PM

Wasn't the govt worried about the Shellmouth drainage area having lots of moisture last fall? And that would come back down the Assiboine River to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 5:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Wasn't the govt worried about the Shellmouth drainage area having lots of moisture last fall? And that would come back down the Assiboine River to Winnipeg.
No. Don't take anything the "government" says WRT to flooding as "flood reporting" (from ministers or the premier) has been highly politicized. Better to get unfiltered info from Water Resources.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...245490341.html

Regions of western Manitoba that drain into the Assiniboine River are also light on snow, according to anecdotal reports compiled by the Snowmobilers of Manitoba.
"We just recently opened trails near Virden and Russell. They just didn't have the snow," said Alan Butler, Snoman's president. "We don't have the snow we had last year, for example."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:06 PM

Red River crest for Winnipeg expected to be below 2013 level
By: Bartley Kives

The Red River in Winnipeg is expected to crest just high enough this spring to require the city to be ready to fight a flood -- but that's about it.

Based on provincial forecasts, the Red is expected to crest somewhere between 11.9 and 15.4 feet above normal winter ice levels at James Avenue, the city announced in a statement. That range is at the bottom end of what is considered a flood -- and does not require any city properties to be protected by sandbag dikes.

In 2013, the Red River crested in Winnipeg on May 1 at 18.8 feet James.

The city has sandbags stacked in warehouses in the event conditions change dramatically. But the province is predicting only minor to moderate flooding on the main stem of the Red River this spring.

Nice to here projections from earlier are accurate. Good news.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:50 PM

^ some sand bagging to be required, 3 properties I believe at this point, Kingston Row. No surprise.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:58 PM

Has there ever been any serious discussion about buying out chronic flooding properties in Winnipeg?

Probably save the city money over the long term if they were taken down and the lot turned into riverbank park.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:57 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Expropriation of private homes to turn into parkland is probably pretty difficult.

There is an article in the Press today about the river ice being very thick. It isn't. There is broken ice everywhere and it looks to be thinner than normal.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Has there ever been any serious discussion about buying out chronic flooding properties in Winnipeg?

Probably save the city money over the long term if they were taken down and the lot turned into riverbank park.

Not to my recollection, but over the long term in flood mitigation costs it seems like a sensible solution for a city built on a flood plain.

But then I'll also side with property owners along our River System. They have invested much in thier properties, both time wise, financially and of course it is their home. Expropriation of properties would die quickly if it did come before the city.

In the end, I do believe that "future" developments in flood prone areas should be addressed, before a plan to build is even contemplated.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:27 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
There is an article in the Press today about the river ice being very thick. It isn't. There is broken ice everywhere and it looks to be thinner than normal.
I find that hard to believe since everyone I talk to says that the ice on every lake and river in the province is the thickest they've ever seen.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:30 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

River ice gets eroded from below by river flow. Go down to the river and look where it is broken, it's quite thin.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:34 PM

I was thinking more of when and if riverbank land comes for sale that the city make a little higher than market offer to buy it.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more of when and if riverbank land comes for sale that the city make a little higher than market offer to buy it.
Again a sensible solution, but I guess realistically if a home along the Red for example, burnt down and it was a high risk to re offend when it came to flooding, but it's value as prime real estate within a highly desirable neighborhood in the 400+K range, it would never happen.

Imagine the mansion on Wellington Cres that recently was gutted by fire and it was prone to high water levels and flooding. Would anything other than another high priced dwelling take it's place? Unlikely. A park, less likely. I agree with doing something with the homes that are constantly prone to flooding and require them to have proper protection. The best that could be done for these types of homes is a requirement to have the owner ensure that his home is built with the proper flood prevention already in place. This could be one solution.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:28 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
River ice gets eroded from below by river flow. Go down to the river and look where it is broken, it's quite thin.
I live next to a much faster flowing river...the ice, except in shallow areas, is very very thick for this time of year.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 1:17 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I live next to the Red, and I am at the river's edge every day. It's thin.

You have to remember, it is very important to this government to trumpet a flood risk whenever they can. "Flooding" is one of their easiest excuses to justify the years of irresponsible spending because, as you can imagine, it scares people. It's such an easy way out, how could they resist?

EVERYTHING this government says is a lie or a blatant exaggeration. It has been their modi operandi for 15 years. You certainly should have realized that that by now.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 1:50 AM
Heart of the Continent

And I live along a faster river that opens earlier than the red....it's just starting to open now in the areas that usually don't freeze....they were frozen this year. The ice is far thicker than normal, it isn't a lie.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 5:38 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Red River looking south from Larters CC. Photo taken yesterday.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Red River looking south from Larters CC. Photo taken yesterday.

The Red River was open south of the Bishop Grandin bridge about a week and a half ago when I was out by the U of M.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan