HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:40 PM

We drive Regina to Morden a couple times a year to visit my wife's family. If you're looking for short breaks, there is a swinging bridge over a small lake in Wolseley. Our two girls liked walking across it.

We drove the #2 / 13 from Morden to Regina last year and detoured a bit to Kenosee for a quick outdoor waterslide. The area is really nice in there.

For Moose Jaw, there is the Spa if you want a soak. There's a small restaurant called Deja Vu near the spa that has great wings and chicken strips. I think they were featured on one of the Food Network shows.

Maple Creek / Cypress Hills is a nice stop. Depends how far south you're willing to trek off the highway. There is a winery in there somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:08 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

We also really enjoyed the Medalta museum in Medicine Hat, good to see if you like that sort of thing. The Hat is a pretty town, one of the cheapest places to live in Canada too.

medalta.org/museum

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:55 PM

My girlfriend and I are doing the opposite way from Vancouver to Winnipeg . She has never seen Canada asides from BC (she's Australian) we r stopping in Calgary and then Moose Jaw as some people have mentioned this is a cool town and we r doing the tunnels tour. I have been but loved it the old Chicago one is great and will tie in with our trip as after a couple days in the Peg we r heading to Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:05 AM

It's incredible the significant gap between the cities in the west and the east. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg. Most of these are less than one day's drive from another. Same with Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Halifax. Mostly less than one day's drive. However between the east and the west a huge gap exists, with Toronto to Winnipeg about 20 hours' drive. Incredible.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:43 AM

My advice is come into Winnipeg from the east on highway 1. As you are getting close to Winnipeg there will be a truck stop with a signaled intersection called Deacon's Corner. My suggestion is stop here and fill up with gas then you should be good for your time in Winnipeg. Shortly after Deacon's Corner is the Red River Floodway. To a lot of people it is a giant ditch and not too noteworthy. Something to keep in mind though is Winnipeg is on a floodplain of a major river. The Floodway is used to divert water around the city in the spring flood season. When you are planning to come through town we might be at a flood state so the water could be high, if not know that at its peak water could be up to the bottom on the bridge!

Near the first set of lights (if I recall correctly) after the interchange is the Royal Canadian Mint on the left side. It is the main production facility for all Canadian coins and lots of international coins too. They have public tours but unless you are interested in money or production the tour might be on the boring side considering you have limited time.

Continue east on Highway 1, also called Fermor Ave in Winnipeg limits until you get to St Marys Rd at which point you will turn right. There is not a lot of note on this route but it sets you up to cross the bridge that shows up in a lot of tv shots of Winnipeg.

After crossing the bridge turn right at the third light, there should my an Earl's restaurant on this corner. After you have turned the Canadian Museum for Human Rights will be almost immediately in front of you. When you come through town it will still not be open to the public but it has a very unique design. If you turn right at the light on the door step of the museum you will be in an area known as The Forks. It has a number of unique local stores if that interests you. There is also a world class skateboard park there. If you aren't interested in either of those things I would suggest skipping The Forks.

If you went into The Forks come back out on the same street you came in on, this will be the same as if you turned left at the museum instead of going into The Forks. Drive straight until you come to the round-about and exit to the right onto Bannaytne Ave. This is an area known as The Exchange and is made up of mostly turn of the century warehouses. Turn right when you get to King St, just past Main St. Look for a parking spot almost immediately when you are on King as you will be stopping for lunch hopefully. For lunch go to the Culinary Exchange at the corner of Main St and William Ave. It is at the corner of the park you see when you turn onto King.

The Culinary Exchange is a quick service restaurant run by the local culinary school (Red River College) meaning quality is high and prices fairly low. Enter in the second door when you walk around the corner from King onto Main St. There is no reservation on tables but it is in a neat re-proposed space in an old bank building.

After lunch I would suggest taking a look inside the main Red River Campus that is three short blocks up King. It is really neat how their basically shaved the old fronts of the historic buildings and bolted them on the brand new building. There are other neat things about the building design but that is my own highly personal bias coming out. If you are interested in more details I can provide them. Alternatively, you could spend some time walking the streets in the area looking at the old buildings. There are lots of unique boutiques on the same side of Main St as King and the same side of and the same side of William as the Culinary Exchange. If you cross over William you will be in Winnipeg's old China Town area.

When you are leaving the Exchange area take Princess. The streets in the area are Main St, King St, Princess St. King and Princess are one-way streets. Driving on Princess and will take a slight bend and change names to Donald. At that point you will be two blocks away from MTS Centre where the Winnipeg Jets play. There is not much to see but I know some people like to see where sports venues are located. Like most such venues there is a team store if you are interested.

Continue on Donald until you get to Broadway at which point you will turn right. In a couple of blocks on the left side is the Manitoba Legislature. The building is known for its hermetic code and is open to the public. If you are interested in that type of thing you could look more into the book about the building and check if there are tours of the building. If not, continue on Broadway turning left at Osborne St. This will take you through The Village neighbourhood which features some quirky local shops and restaurants. It is also Winnipeg's most "urban" neighbourhood. The main area of interest if you don't live there is on Osborne itself. The Village is between the Osborne St Bridge and the Burger King.

Leaving The Village leads to things getting a little tricky as there is an at-grade intersection with five major streets meeting. You are going to want to try to go "straight" when you enter the intersection known as Confusion Corner. Ideally you will exit onto Pembina however Osborne could work too. If you find yourself on Donald or Cordoyn get turned around and head back into Confusion Corner. If you end up on Osborne keep going until you find Jubilee and turn right, then follow the signs for Pembina south.

Pembina will take you out of town to Modern where you have said you will be spending the night. As you travel south on Pembina you will pass a Safeway across from a Holiday Inn. The cross street is McGillivary. This area is known by some people as the "new" China Town with lots of the best Asian restaurant in the city. If you are interested in that type of food it might be a good choice for diner.

If you would like you could take the exit from Pembina onto University Crescent. This will take you past Investors Group field which is the new pro football stadium. They also have a team store for the Blue Bombers. The stadium is at the corner of University Cresent and Chancellor Dr. Chancellor would get you back to Pembina.

As you are leaving town you will go under an overpass, this means you are almost out of the city proper. The area you are now in is St Agathe. On your left side as the speed limits start to increase you will see a large dam like structure on the river to the left. This is actually the control inlet for the Red River Floodway you saw on your way into town.

The next day when you drive back to Winnipeg if you have nothing more to check out you can take the Perimeter heading west. This is basically a "freeway" around the outside of Winnipeg. Look for the exit for the TransCanada. Easiest way to tell you are close is the city will get close to the highway again and it is the first exit after you cross a river. You will want to head west from that point.

PS - You mentioned coming through Manitoba in April, it is possible you will be here in flood season which could mean getting into Morden will be difficult or impossible as they have a dike system surrounding the town to protect it from flooding. The down side is that it also closes the main routes into town. You may want to reconsider your plan and stay overnight in Winnipeg instead.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:43 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

^^^ No worries, there will be no flood this year. Also, there is no dike surrounding Morden and there is never flooding in that area. Cory is thinking of Morris.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
^^^ No worries, there will be no flood this year. Also, there is no dike surrounding Morden and there is never flooding in that area. Cory is thinking of Morris.
Cory should also get his 'saints' right, St.Norbert is just past the Perimeter, St. Agathe is 9 miles South at the roundy car track (Red River Speedway).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:31 PM

There may be flooding when you come, its just not expected to be major flooding. Also beware because it isn't that unusual to have a late season snow storm in april for the prairies!

Some other potential food places to check out in Winnipeg depending on your tastes:
- Boon Burger which is Canada's first all vegan burger joint. Super delicious, even non-vegans love it! Also have G-Free options if that is a thing. There is a location on Sherbrook and also in the exchange on Bannatyne
- Kawaii Crepe in Osborne Village which does sweet and savoury crepes. Super amazing!
- Stellas which is a local chain with an infamously good all day breakfast menu (I personally recommend the mexican breakfast! But their whole breakfast menu is amazing! they also have a bakery selection and a bakery at their sherbrooke location)
- Tall Grass prairie, which has a location at the forks has amazing baking and some yummy food options
- If you like sticky buns, and are passing through during business hours, go to Jonnies Sticky Buns on Portage avenue (HWY 1 through the city), it is just past arlington street on the north side (you will pass arlington, a food fare grocery chain, then shoppers and an LC and it is a small hole in the wall in the following block). Seriously, BEST sticky buns in town and he sells 10 different varieties on any given day!

In terms of other locations on the prairies to see... Travelling west out from Morden staying south of the trans canada is beautiful, and much more scenic than the TCH and you get to see beautiful aspects of the manitoba escarpment. There is a dinosaur museum in Modern which actually is really quite impressive. Good choice on swift current for a next stop. It is a comfortable distance for driving and also they have a good selection of basic needs and cheep stop overs. Moose Jaw as some people have mentioned is a quant. I would NOT recommend the Qu'Appelle valley detour unless it is a bright sunny day. I went through as a teen ager with my Grams after complaining that SK had no scenery and I was bored, but it was a cloudy miserable day and the towns were so depressing that it just made it worse!

Have fun on your trip!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 11:29 PM

Curious, would you guys recommend taking off the winter tires for the drive that time of year. I usually take them off around end of March, but I'm not sure about the road/climate conditions in that part of the country.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 11:52 PM

Winter tires are for amateurs.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
Curious, would you guys recommend taking off the winter tires for the drive that time of year. I usually take them off around end of March, but I'm not sure about the road/climate conditions in that part of the country.
By mid-April normal daytime highs are above 10C so take them off unless you want to wear them out prematurely. That said, snow is a possibility into early May.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 2:04 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Yeah, it's quite flat within the Red River Valley up until after Morden, where the terrain starts to change. Going towards Brandon on the TCH, the landscape will continue to change, but with prairie grasslands and some wooded areas. Keep driving past Brandon and heading towards the Saskatchewan border, and the terrain continues to change with elevation changes.

But yeah, the Red River Valley, it's a sea of flatness, vastness, and open skies with a flat horizon in every direction.

Although as a Winnipegger, there are times when I wish we had hilly terrains.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Take em off. Roads are dry already.

I know it's tempting to take alternate routes instead of the TCH west of Winnipeg but with the freeze-thaw and the Sask govt's decree to let heavy trucks use highways this spring because of a rail backlog, secondary highways will be an adventure. (as in they'll be really bad)

If you really like Corner Gas, it's 1/2 hour south of Regina so a bit out of your way. But the town is very small and it is a quick drive around the village to see all the houses/buildings used in the tv show.

You may wish to spend a couple hours in Regina's Wascana Park (Legislature, massive urban park) or you may wish to spend that time in Moose Jaw touring the tunnels. Those are underground museum's based on Al Capone's visits to Moose Jaw and the treatment of Chinese railroad workers. They're decent.

The trip from Moose Jaw to Swift Current and then on to Medicine Hat is surprisingly hilly.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 2:14 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
I take mine off at the end of April, but this was based on the fact that it was a cold spring last year, and this year may be the same thing again.

I'd say keep it on, unless temperatures stay consistently above +7 degrees Celsius when you are going about through your travels in a few weeks time. Winter tires perform well when it's under 7 degrees Celsius, which is its threshold for performance before they start wearing out at a higher rate, due to their softer compound compared to regular all-seasons.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

Pembina will take you out of town to Modern where you have said you will be spending the night. As you travel south on Pembina you will pass a Safeway across from a Holiday Inn. The cross street is McGillivary. This area is known by some people as the "new" China Town with lots of the best Asian restaurant in the city. If you are interested in that type of food it might be a good choice for diner.

If you would like you could take the exit from Pembina onto University Crescent. This will take you past Investors Group field which is the new pro football stadium. They also have a team store for the Blue Bombers. The stadium is at the corner of University Cresent and Chancellor Dr. Chancellor would get you back to Pembina.

As you are leaving town you will go under an overpass, this means you are almost out of the city proper. The area you are now in is St Agathe. On your left side as the speed limits start to increase you will see a large dam like structure on the river to the left. This is actually the control inlet for the Red River Floodway you saw on your way into town.

The next day when you drive back to Winnipeg if you have nothing more to check out you can take the Perimeter heading west. This is basically a "freeway" around the outside of Winnipeg. Look for the exit for the TransCanada. Easiest way to tell you are close is the city will get close to the highway again and it is the first exit after you cross a river. You will want to head west from that point.

PS - You mentioned coming through Manitoba in April, it is possible you will be here in flood season which could mean getting into Morden will be difficult or impossible as they have a dike system surrounding the town to protect it from flooding. The down side is that it also closes the main routes into town. You may want to reconsider your plan and stay overnight in Winnipeg instead.
It's Morden, not Modern.

The "new" China town as you describe it is not at the Pembina/McGilivary intersection, but rather further south in the Waverley Heights/Fort Richmond area.

The Stadium is at the corner of University Crescent and Chancellor Matheson. Chancellor is on the other side of Pembina.

The area south of the Perimeter is St. Norbert, not St. Agathe. St Agathe is a town 30 km south of the city. The Floodway control structure is barely visible from Hwy 75, and you wouldn't really be able to make out the control gates.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Y
Although as a Winnipegger, there are times when I wish we had hilly terrains.
I guess you haven't driven down Higgins west of Main, the size of the potholes make the terrain very hilly. Just an observation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan