HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
He supposedly did. But Daren Jorgenson pointed out on FB recently that the building isn't heated, so whatever fire suppression system exists clearly doesn't work.
Quite right Biguc, the system has been installed but is the building being heated?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:20 PM
the first stamp is free

I think you just need to heat area where the the sprinkler tree main distribution is located. They use dry systems for this application. Water on demand.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
It came from Bill Thiessen-commercial agent with RE/MAX Performance Realty
Former business development officer with CentreVenture Development Corp.
(It will be higher, today as he made the comment in 2008)

Sad to see him go. He was a very nice fella.

In any case, yeah, that number would be *significantly* higher almost 6 years later. Probably part of the reason they gave up on it. The budget wasn't growing alongside the costs...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 6:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
He supposedly did. But Daren Jorgenson pointed out on FB recently that the building isn't heated, so whatever fire suppression system exists clearly doesn't work.
you presurize the lines with air and when the seal is broke a valve opens and sends water to where the seal broke.

first time i ran into such a system i nearly had a heart attack....

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 10:20 AM

Friend lives in the Edge on Princess, Has a beautiful suite on the top floor. Was their several months ago. The interior of the building is immaculate and well cared for. No problems with the exterior? Talked to the on site caretaker on numerous occasions. No real issues.

Strange comment on comparing it's appearance to a Manitoba Housing Project?

Last edited by Cyro; Mar 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Friend lives in the Edge on Princess, Has a beautiful suite on the top floor. Was their several months ago. The interior of the building is immaculate and well cared for. No problems with the exterior? Talked to the on site caretaker on numerous occasions. No real issues.

Strange comment on comparing it's appearance to a Manitoba Housing Project?
I think the comment was related to the fact that it's situated almost directly beside the Siloam Mission with all of its attendant issues...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:58 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I think the comment was related to the fact that it's situated almost directly beside the Siloam Mission with all of its attendant issues...
witch is still 3 blocks away and theres new residental a block away and a conversion to residental a block away happening.........

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I'll go out on a limb and agree with that, if the poster feels their are social issues involved with this particular area, he shouldn't be ashamed to say so. I didn't bring up the topic my self so I believed he would himself and clarify why it appears like a Manitoba Housing Complex.

I've been in most of Winnipeg's least desirable neighborhoods for "Legal Reasons" and have been into almost every MB. Housing complex in the City. I Spent "years" going into every nook and cranny of the Exchange as well, before it changed into a lively vibrant neighborhood.

It used to be a dead zone, it's changed for the better and continues to do so.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

remeber the elvator operater in the bates building? or were u wondering the exchange in the early 90's?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 6:42 PM

Across from the now closing Ragpickers? No, don't remember the "Elevator Guy", sorry.
We're talking "Red Light District" and Winnipeg's Garment district time line. Most of the area was home to Clothing Manufactures,Storage space or just empty. Dead.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 9:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

ragpickers is still around now on gomez next to the graphiti gallery.

yes across from there and he was the last certified elvator operator in north amarica or somthing silly died of a heart attack in the thing in 92 or 93 baby sitter had a studio on the floor where the lawyer had a massive ho scale train set set up

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:49 AM

Talking Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
ragpickers is still around now on gomez next to the graphiti gallery.

yes across from there and he was the last certified elvator operator in north amarica or somthing silly died of a heart attack in the thing in 92 or 93 baby sitter had a studio on the floor where the lawyer had a massive ho scale train set set up
I remember him! He was the caretaker for the building and used the area on the second floor where the old Bate offices were. Mr Bates widow lived in one of the Wellington Crescent Mansions and the son, a doctor I think lived in California. He came up to visit her until she passed and then sold the house, the Bate Bldg and the 5 storey 376 Donald Street Building in 1985!

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 3:42 PM

Article (below), referencing the Exchange District and how Historical Neighborhoods hold the potential to be vibrant and significant additions to Winnipeg's urban fabric.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...258858291.html

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 5:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the subway on william closed its doors this past week and is reopening at 123 princess on the 15th. the vacants on princess are starting to disapear.

200 princess has been undergoing interior renovations they installed new hardwood floors in there last week anyone know whats going there?

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 6:18 AM
▓▒░

Last edited by RLS_rls; May 13, 2014 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 8:41 AM

The first paragraph throws down some shade like it's needed in the Summertime.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
the subway on william closed its doors this past week and is reopening at 123 princess on the 15th. the vacants on princess are starting to disapear.

200 princess has been undergoing interior renovations they installed new hardwood floors in there last week anyone know whats going there?
Its interesting that Subway is moving south on Princess. When they moved into William ave there was a newspaper article saying the target customers were the students at Red River's downtown campus.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Its interesting that Subway is moving south on Princess. When they moved into William ave there was a newspaper article saying the target customers were the students at Red River's downtown campus.
It's still pretty much the same walking distance to the new shop, so I'm sure the target market will continue to be well served.

FWIW that building has been beset with problems, and there has been a fair bit of turnover in the commercial space. Hopefully whatever was wrong there has been straightened out so that this Subway can be there for a while.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 4:00 PM

Quote:
remeber the elvator operater in the bates building? or were u wondering the exchange in the early 90's?
When Ed Asner was filming a movie nearby, he gave him a signed photo saying "When I die and go to hell, I want you to take me."

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
The first paragraph throws down some shade like it's needed in the Summertime.
I believe this is the paragraph in question.

Quote:
Winnipeg is a city with few natural advantages. It's flat, isolated and cold. It doesn't have Vancouver's snowcapped peaks, Victoria's elegant harbourfront or Toronto's economic engine.
I believe the authors intent was to start with a few cities natural and geographical attributes so as to later emphasize Winnipeg's positive features and how best to utilize them now and in the future.

Take advantage of what we have, even though other cities may have an advantage due to their location. Grab your attention, the Winnipeg way. Although the author could obviously give his actual line of thinking much more accurately than my interpretation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan