HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 10:15 PM

Mc D's - 1058 W Washington

June 29

July 3

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
What is happening with the El Cubano Meats building at 914 W Fulton Market? There is a permit from 6/9 to demolish it. It was sold to L3 Capital (permit says Lasalle though) last fall.
Time Out is opening a food hall. If it's anything like the one in Lisbon, will be really cool. That said I'm a bit surprised with the number of these going up - for this area to support it, they'll need to really make this a destination (the one in Lisbon has TVs, etc. for watching sporting events that draws a crowd).

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 1:38 PM
BANNED

1260 W Adams

There's a new CPS Skinner West Annex which should begin construction in Sept or October. 4 stories, 36,000 sq feet. Another West Loop surface lot gone.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:50 PM

are they really demo-ing the Cubano building? it looks like theyre renovating it

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark wellington View Post
Time Out is opening a food hall. If it's anything like the one in Lisbon, will be really cool. That said I'm a bit surprised with the number of these going up - for this area to support it, they'll need to really make this a destination (the one in Lisbon has TVs, etc. for watching sporting events that draws a crowd).
maybe, but at the same time theres soon to be a lot of office workers in this pocket of the city and honestly for all the food options on randolph and fulton, not many are suited to a quick cheap grab and go lunch. i can see it working. most people in this pocket of the city arent going to go all the way over to French Market.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
are they really demo-ing the Cubano building? it looks like theyre renovating it
There's a demo permit for it and it did not specify partial demolition or interior demolition. It does, however, call out that some of the existing facade features will be salvaged and incorporated onto a new building.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:02 PM

btw, does anyone know whats happening with the building on the south side of the intersection of peoria and kinzie? noticed a big mural appear on it over the past week. are there any plans for it beyond that at the current time?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8890...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 9:13 PM

Thompson Center

The new budget deal in Springfield apparently includes $300 million from sale of the Thompson Center. I think that's at the upper end of what Rauner thinks the state can get if the FAR is increased to allow 3-4 million sq ft. The fact that the budget relies on such a sale tells me we might see it actually happen now.

Last edited by Khantilever; Jul 6, 2017 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 1:08 AM

100 W Chicago - FLATS

What's happening here? It seemed like Cedar St was on track for a Spring move-in and they have been radio silent since... Any help?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:11 AM
The City

^ Construction delays? Who knows, construction being on time is generally the exception rather than the rule these days, unless you are talking about a cookie cutter job being done by an experienced contractor.

I'm dealing with this right now with a project in doing--contractor is trying to wrap up another job, meanwhile labor shortages are so severe now (thanks, Donald!) that he can't hire another crew.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Construction delays? Who knows, construction being on time is generally the exception rather than the rule these days, unless you are talking about a cookie cutter job being done by an experienced contractor.

I'm dealing with this right now with a project in doing--contractor is trying to wrap up another job, meanwhile labor shortages are so severe now (thanks, Donald!) that he can't hire another crew.
Good luck. Labor shortages are just going to get worse

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:14 PM

Cedar St. has a reputation when it comes to construction delays / shoddy work

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:18 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
Cedar St. has a reputation when it comes to construction delays / shoddy work
It's easy to blame the developer but the truth is, it's very tough to be a small developer.

When you are working with small Joe Schmoe contractors you often get inaccurate budget forecasts, high turnovers, delays, people who quit, disputes, etc.

It's not until you are big enough to be doing projects with the likes of a Walsh or Pepper Construction that things tend to be more uniform, consistent, and reliable as these companies regularly do massive projects and have the resources and experience to execute a job on budget and on time, and will typically guarantee their work.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Good luck. Labor shortages are just going to get worse
no such thing as a labor shortage as the one solution is to raise wages (but I'm sure its way easier to just blame the president lol)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:55 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
no such thing as a labor shortage as the one solution is to raise wages (but I'm sure its way easier to just blame the president lol)
It's fine as long as you are okay with higher rents and home prices.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:57 PM

Quote:
It's fine as long as you are okay with higher rents and home prices.
its called inflation.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:03 PM
The City

Quote:
its called inflation.
I know, I'm just saying that when the whiners get out there with their "the rents are too high and driving out the lower income people!" tearjerkers, they are appealing to a certain unsophisticated group of people who don't understand math and economics (which is why they remain lower income, I guess) but are trying to score political points.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
I know, I'm just saying that when the whiners get out there with their "the rents are too high and driving out the lower income people!" tearjerkers, they are appealing to a certain unsophisticated group of people who don't understand math and economics (which is why they remain lower income, I guess) but are trying to score political points.
Well if rents are increasing at the rate of inflation and wages are not, and you're bitching about a labor shortage, then

I'm confused what your point is talking about politicians when this is a totally unrelated economic issue

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:56 PM
The City

Quote:
Well if rents are increasing at the rate of inflation and wages are not, and you're bitching about a labor shortage, then

I'm confused what your point is talking about politicians when this is a totally unrelated economic issue
Who ever said wages aren't going up? Trust me, they are.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
its called inflation.
Higher home prices as a result of higher construction costs isn't inflation.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:

There's a lot of rotting produce in California and Georgia that would beg to differ.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-f...s-immigration/

"In the last five years, he has advertised in local newspapers and accepted more than a dozen unemployed applicants from the state’s job agency. Even when the average rate on his fields was $20 an hour, the U.S.-born workers lost interest, fast.

“We’ve never had one come back after lunch,” he says."

The going rate for migrant labor is about $11 to $12 an hour. Going higher above $20 makes mechanical alternatives to manual labor more cost effective.

In any event the unemployment rate has hit 4.3% which is below the full employment mark of 4.7%. The job market has become so tight it's actually becoming difficult for employers to generate new jobs since they are having trouble filling positions. Migrant labor fills a need since there are, in fact, jobs that the native born are unwilling to perform at any reasonable price.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development