HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The same seller also has this slide for sale.

"Original RED BORDER Kodachrome 35mm Slide LOS ANGELES Freeway Downtown OLD! 1958."

EBAY

Would anyone like to pinpoint the location of the slide?

I just noticed the Pioneer Memorial (with the waterfall turned on) so this should be pretty easy.

You can check out the waterfall HERE.

_
Broadway and Arcadia. They're refurbishing the waterfall, don't konw if they're going to turn it back on.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Broadway and Arcadia. They're refurbishing the waterfall, don't konw if they're going to turn it back on.
It's already turned on! Woo hoo! I drove by it some weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. The strength of the waterfall isn't as strong as it was, though from what I've read, they can control the flow: http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/a...5bd2ab638.html

Los Angeles Downtown News

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:59 PM

I just wish the YMCA had saved the rooftop sign.

detail

I checked Google_Earth to see if any of the [sign] brackets were left on the roof.

Google_Earth

I don't see any remnants of the sign....but I was a bit surprised by how 'hollow' the building is.

note the tiny skylight in the lower right corner of the building. I think this is a stairwell. [see below]

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 1:17 AM

LAPD SAFE Burglaries
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality
MAY 12, 1920

Los Angeles Herald
It appears most busted safes are left in situ.....especially after they began encasing them in cement.

LAPD..........................................................................................................................................LAPD

note the date of the crime is written on each photograph.

LAPD

LAPD

Link #1 EBAY

Link #2 EBAY

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:48 AM

This LAPD form [1951] is interesting as well.

It lists the items a safe burglar left behind (he was no doubt interrupted) in an attemped robbery in 1951.

EBAY

EBAY

That's quite a list!

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 5, 2019 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:20 PM

American Beauty = Barbecue.

I was hesitant to post this photograph because I wasn't totally convinced it was Venice CA.

EBAY

"1916 VENICE BEACH CA BOARDWALK AMERICAN BEAUTY BARBECUE" asking........................................ $299.99

While trying to find additional proof [that this Venice], I happened upon this article about a planned "meat focused" restaurant in Venice.

EATER: L.A.

And guess what the name of the new restaurant is going to be.

Yep, AMERICAN BEAUTY.

My question is: What does 'American Beauty' have to do with barbecue? am I missing something?

________________________________________________________________________________

While I'm here, let's take a closer look at the astonishly well dressed people in the 1916 photograph.

detail

note: One of the lovely ladies has cleverly strapped her cell phone to the back of her hand.
also note...they're wearing matching mink stoles! (the kind with the head, feet and tail attached)

And take a gander at this fine looking lad.

detaail

Arrow collar...and possibly smoking a pipe?

jus' kiddin' about the cell phone.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 6, 2019 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:03 PM

Interesting, e_r! The bouquets on the sign, I think, provide the clue as to what the namer was thinking about: The name refers to the 'American Beauty' rose, introduced as such in 1886:

Deutsches Rosenbuch, 1889, p. 183.

The name came to be a generic term used by florists to indicate long-stemmed red roses of perfect form; but the original was as above.

(There's a longstanding controversy about whether or not the 1886 rose was actually a re-introduction of an 1875 French rose 'Mme. Ferdinand Jamin'. I'm firmly of the opinion that it was not a reintroduction, as differences between the two roses were noted at the time.)

And the new restaurant is on . . . Rose Avenue.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
This LAPD form [1951] is interesting as well.

It lists the items a safe burglar left behind (he was no doubt interrupted) in an attemped robbery in 1951.

EBAY

EBAY

That's quite a list!

_
Interesting inventory. From the picture in the other post, it looks like they knew a vulnerability in these safes that involved chiseling off some of the concrete on top to get access to the metal, then drilling holes and manipulating the lock mechanism. I guess they took their sledgehammer home with them.

My NCOIC taught me the vulnerability in the WWII-era field safes that were still used on our base. We had one whose combination had been lost. You lay it door side up in a jeep or pickup truck and drive around on rough roads. The vibrations ease tumblers into the unlocked position. Like all vulnerabilities, something the designers hadn't thought of -- vibrations from front to back (in the normal position of a safe on the floor) instead up and down.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Interesting, e_r! The bouquets on the sign, I think, provide the clue as to what the namer was thinking about: The name refers to the 'American Beauty' rose, introduced as such in 1886:

I checked USC to see if they had any pictures of the American Beauty Barbecue, but found this instead:

"American Beauty washing machine, Southern California, 1935".

A close-up of the logo shows that this company also went with the rose motif.

USC Digital Library

As you can see, the American Beauty was made by the Getz Power Washer Co of Morton, Illinois, but this was a publicity shoot for the Globe Department Store. I can only see a passing mention to the store in post #9616, so here's another advert from the 1936 CD.

LAPL

Globe Department Stores Inc was still at 5100 S Broadway in 1956. By the early '60s, they'd either moved or downsized to 5136 S Broadway, and then spent 1963-69 at 5201 S Vermont Avenue. Does anyone have any photos (I haven't had a chance to look yet) - there's only a drawing in the link above.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 1:45 AM

Interesting Hoss.

Quote:

And the new 'American Beauty' restaurant is on . . . Rose Avenue.
Thanks for connecting the two odinthor. I didn't notice that. .....................................at first

Here's a photograph of "Rose Avenue crossing looking east, Los Angeles, 1929"

USC Digital Archive

I wasn't sure if this was the correct Rose Avenue (there's a Rose Avenue in San Marino as well) but if you look closely, one of the signs on the right side of the street says Venice Feed & Fuel. [see BELOW]

detail

*blinks* Does that child have a road cone on her head? *rubs eyes*

Note the wig wag and railroad crossing. Any idea where on Rose Avenue this pic was taken?

Here's the r.r. crossing sign, left side of pic.

detail

That smaller sign to its right might be a street sign. (it's much too small to tell for sure)

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 6, 2019 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

My NCOIC taught me the vulnerability in the WWII-era field safes that were still used on our base. We had one whose combination had been lost. You lay it door side up in a jeep or pickup truck and drive around on rough roads. The vibrations ease tumblers into the unlocked position. Like all vulnerabilities, something the designers hadn't thought of -- vibrations from front to back (in the normal position of a safe on the floor) instead up and down.
Thanks for the tips Earl.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 7, 2019 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 3:51 AM

Quote:

_
Yes, the child is from France.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:59 AM

Internet Archive find

Hope I'm not retreading over traveled ground, but I came across this 1905 booklet on the Internet Archive with photos I don't recall seeing on NLA. Lots of typical but interesting views of generally familiar places.

Courthouse

IA

A while back I was asking if there were panoramas from the observation deck at Angel's Flight and was obliged to have a few posted in response, but I don't think we saw this one.

part one

part 2

IA

All the pics are quite zoomable on the site.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Interesting Hoss.

Thanks for connecting the two odinthor. I didn't notice that. .....................................at first

Here's a photograph of "Rose Avenue crossing looking east, Los Angeles, 1929"

USC Digital Archive

I wasn't sure if this was the correct Rose Avenue (there's a Rose Avenue in San Marino as well) but if you look closely, one of the signs on the right side of the street says Venice Feed & Fuel. [see BELOW]

detail

Note the wig wag and railroad crossing. Any idea where on Rose Avenue this pic was taken?

Here's the r.r. crossing sign, left side of pic.

detail

That smaller sign to its right might be a street sign. (it's much too small to tell for sure)

_

Any idea where on Rose Avenue this pic was taken?

But, of course, e-r.

Venice Feed and Fuel is listed in the 1925 Santa Monica CD at 200 Rose Ave. Sadly, it's no longer there; but the two-story wooden structure across the street is now The Firehouse restaurant at 213 Rose Ave.

Less convincingly, the two-story duplex with the pagoda-like roof treatment at the far left edge of the frame apparently also remains albeit in somewhat remodeled form at 105 Rose Ave. That would seem to place our photographer just east of Pacific Ave.

Incidentally, the railroad crossing Rose Ave. was PE's Santa Monica Air Line.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodin View Post
I think I solved this mystery from years ago. My friend lives in one of these apts located at 10822 Ventura Blvd. The bungalows sure look like a match.

The above split screen is from 1964(historic aerial) and today. This is to show that the rear building had not existed didn't exist in 1964(as it does not in the Tower Auto Court photograph).

One more thing:
coincidentally, my friend who lives at one of the apartments in the photo sent me this photo TODAY. Apparently, when the "tower auto" was converted to apartments, they never got permits and aren't allowed to have kitchens in the apartments. The apartments are due for inspection and to remedy this, the apartment owners are going to remove all the kitchens, pass inspection, install new kitchens, and give all the tenants 50% off this next month.
AMAZING.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:

The name came to be a generic term used by florists to indicate long-stemmed red roses of perfect form; but the original was as above.
Odinthor, is the rose pictured in the drawing indeed the original American Beauty? Because the rose by that name that I know is a hybrid tea, and the rose pictured is decidedly not that.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Odinthor, is the rose pictured in the drawing indeed the original American Beauty? Because the rose by that name that I know is a hybrid tea, and the rose pictured is decidedly not that.
Yes, thanks, that image would be the original, which was not a Hybrid Tea but rather of an older class, Hybrid Perpetual (Hybrid Teas more or less originated from crossing a Hybrid Perpetual with a Tea rose). The Hybrid Perpetual 'American Beauty' became a standard rose offered, as cut roses, by florists. As ideals in roses changed, and as improvements in rose-growing happened, other varieties of long-stemmed red roses took their place at florists' shops, of the original 'American Beauty' . . . and the class Hybrid Teas became dominant . . . but the name had become stuck in the public consciousness such that it became the generic term among those buying red roses: You'd go into a florist shop and ask for a dozen American Beauties . . . and get the long-stemmed perfectly-shaped fragrant red rose of whatever variety was currently the florist industry's favored long-stemmed perfectly-shaped fragrant red rose.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Anyone (esp Hoss) have any idea of the whereabouts of this house? The image is from a short called "Hollywood Snapshots"-- supposedly the home of silent comedian Sid Smith. Smith is in some sources noted a living "above Los Feliz" but those references are from after the film was made in early 1922. Smith was pretty big but died in 1928 after drinking bad hooch.

GW, I think your house is 503 S. St. Andrews Place. Comparing the photo above with the one below, the house has been
painted and the palm trees near the sidewalk have grown, but the shape and details of the house look the same:

UCLA/Islandora/SeeingSunset

503 S. St. Andrews even has that little roundish room on its NE corner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

1921 Sanborn Map with north on the left . . . the empty lot to the right of 521 will be filled by 525-527 S. St. Andrews
(building permit dated 10/6/21; demo permit dated 3/1/86). On the corner, 503 was built in 1913 and stood until 1960
or 1961 (its replacement is now designated 4254 W. 5th). The BP for 509 is dated September 24, 1912:

ProQuest via LAPL

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Feb 6, 2019 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Yes, the child is from France.

That's a good one, Bill!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 10:11 PM

So I take it the original American Beauty Barbeque was located on 'Rose' Avenue pier.

USC

ONCE MORE

EBAY

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 6, 2019 at 10:31 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos