HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

More Roxbury noir

LAT July 19, 1897

A 20 acre ranch in Burbank worth $1000! Wow. Can you imagine what that land is worth now.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I'm amazed that you recognize your father's car in the Parker Center lot. That's so cool ! ! !

but I'm a little confused HG... You said the car is 9th from the left but you didn't say which row. (unless I misread it)

I don't know cars well enough to pick out a 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Sedan.

I had the same problem you did, E.R. I went from row to row looking for the car.

This is a 1946 Chevrolet Fleetside Sedan

IMCDb.org

I finally took a guess on this one in the front row

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 11:04 AM

Hopping Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
As long as we're on the subject of noirish drinks, I vote for whatever someone's buying, and plenty of it.
Yes. That is the true essence of the matter. No need to put a finer point on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
That being said, my favorite watering hole, on Third just this side of Flower, serves Hamms and Lucky Lager.
Now you're in my wheelhouse. Hamm's and especially Lucky were big hereabouts when I first started learning what beer tasted like. I was too late to the rodeo to experience the distinctive joys of Oly and Brew 102, alas.

Lucky was the main indulgence of my circle in those early days. The rebus in the cap was the crucial element. Once I couldn't solve it, I knew it was time to stop drinking.

I recall with special affection the occasional availability of Lucky Bock. The popular story was that it was produced whenever the brewery cleaned out its equipment. Based upon its unforgettably assertive character, that was a manifestly plausible story. My circle held the experience of drinking it a cleansing experience in itself.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:50 PM

Nineth Car Parker Center Parking Lot

First I did correct the location and stated it was bottom row but I see it did not make that correction. Second I knew where he parked as he always parked in the same spot or near to it, when I seen the picture of Parker my eyes went right to the spot he parked in. Third, everyone else was driving newer cars at that time but he kept the 46 till I was old enough to drive.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Since you posted about this area recently... [...] I recently saw this photo that I don't recall posted on NLA before that was taken there when it was the Dudley Do Right Emporium.

VLA-FLickr

It must've been taken around the time of that infamous Burt Reynolds centerfold issue in Cosmopolitan which was April of 1972.

Bullwinkle -

I saw this photo also taken at the same corner at Sunset and Hayvenhurst Dr. about 8 years after the above photo.

Ken Anderson/Le Cinema Dreams

The billboard is advertising an Allan Carr disaster, "Can't Stop the Music", which had been originally titled "Discoland-Where the Music Never Ends"...but disco waned drastically before the movie came out, and across the street a slightly better remembered film, Little Darlings.

I don't recall the Chateau Marmont having that noticeable sign on it, though it obviously did. I mean, the Marmont was never scrambling for walk or drive-in business!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I saw this photo also taken at the same corner at Sunset and Hayvenhurst Dr. about 8 years after the above photo.

The billboard is advertising an Allan Carr disaster, "Can't Stop the Music", which had been originally titled "Discoland-Where the Music Never Ends"...but disco waned drastically before the movie came out, and across the street a slightly better remembered film, Little Darlings.

I don't recall the Chateau Marmont having that noticeable sign on it, though it obviously did. I mean, the Marmont was never scrambling for walk or drive-in business!
The sign again:

vickielester
Tina.com

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:06 AM

Quote:

Oh boy! Your post just brought back a flood of memories.

I was working for Pinnacle Books (in Century City) back then. They were a paperback publisher, who moved out here from New York to sign movie tie-in deals. Unfortunately they landed a two book contract which consisted of Raggedy Man (a Sissy Spacek movie) and Can't Stop The Music. Raggedy Man was decent, and earned some royalties, but Can't Stop the Music was a bomb.

Can't Stop The Music had some names in the cast. There were The Village People, Steve Gutenberg, Bruce Jenner (in the pre-Caitlyn days) and Valerie Perrine (who I liked because she was always running around with no clothes on).

Anyway, with Alan Carr as the producer, everyone thought it was going to be another hit like Grease. Unfortunately, the disco craze landed with a thud at Comiskey Park in Chicago the year before on Disco Demolition Night.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

I managed to recoup some of the beating we took on Can't Stop The Music
by using the royalties on Raggedy Man against the advance on Can't Stop The Music. Their lawyers had a fit, but it was all one contract and there was nothing they could do. It was still a loser for Pinnacle Books though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:05 AM

Jazz club, 1962

Small's Paradise West, 3617 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles CA

Heather David on flickr 1962

The club was located just outside the northwest corner of Leimert Park.

Has anyone heard of this place before? It was, supposedly, an offshoot of a famous nightclub in Harlem [NYC].

Today, the building houses a billiard parlor.

GSV

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 3, 2019 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 9:24 AM

I don't believe we have seen this business on nla.

Glo-Dial Clock Co., 922 W. 23rd St., Los Angeles

Heather David on flickr

The building is still standing and it's in decent shape! (this building seems familiar...perhaps we've seen it before)

GSV

As you can see, most of the small details are still in place. I am especially pleased the black and white tile work close to the sidewalk is intact. (sometimes that's the first to go)

DETAIL

...of course the clock is missing.

update :

The Glo-Dial building is directly behind 2301 Scarff Street. That might be the reason the Glo-Dial building seems familiar to me.

We have definitely seen 2301 Scarff Street on nla but I haven't been able to find the old post(s).

I will bet money GW knows all about this house.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 3, 2019 at 9:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 12:39 PM

Great find, ER. Glo-Dial made clocks for Gruen, whose neon clocks we've been seeing around town on NLA for years. Not sure if these particular Gruens were made by Glo-Dial, but here's a post from 2011:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

LAPL
Seems that Gruen figured nightclubs were a good place to advertise... perhaps an admirer
gave Beth Short a Gruen after a little dancing here...

LAPL
or after a little music here.... Not that the Bowl was a nightclub exactly....

As for 2301 Scarff Street, I have in some notes that railroad passenger agent Frederick W. Thompson built it in 1894 and that the Randolph Huntington Miners occupied it from 1896 to 1904, when they built 649 West Adams...perhaps better known as Fatty Arbuckle's house. The Miners sold 2301 to the widow of banker Frank A. Gibson in 1903. Mary Gibson became a commissioner of the State Commission of Immigration and Housing and was active on behalf of numerous causes.... Circa 1923 she turned 2301 Scarff into a duplex, she now at 2305 Scarff with 2301 rented to various boarders. After a nervous breakdown and a stroke, she died in the house in 1930. (Her son was at the time US ambassador to Belgium.) The house was later cut up into more rooms for rent....

PS-- Here is a post of yours from 2013 re 2301 Scarff...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12586

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jun 3, 2019 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:04 PM
History Detective

This is the clock at the Hollywood Bowl now.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Oh boy! Your post just brought back a flood of memories.

I was working for Pinnacle Books (in Century City) back then. They were a paperback publisher, who moved out here from New York to sign movie tie-in deals. Unfortunately they landed a two book contract which consisted of Raggedy Man (a Sissy Spacek movie) and Can't Stop The Music. Raggedy Man was decent, and earned some royalties, but Can't Stop the Music was a bomb.

[...]
Guess what? I'm pretty sure that I bought the Raggedy Man novelization! I don't know what I'd think now, but I liked the film when it was released. Sissy Spacek and Eric Roberts were in it. It was directed and produced by those who also did Norma Rae and Hud. Henry Thomas (pre-E.T.) is in the film, too.

Do they still make movie tie-in books? I'm assuming you meant those novelizations they used to write from the screenplays? I used to buy some of those when I liked a film and wanted to experience it again in some way. This was mostly before home video that I bought them, when you couldn't see a movie anytime you wanted to. I never read one of those "before" I'd seen the film, though. Did people do that?

It kinda makes sense that "Can't Stop the Music" wouldn't have made a good novelization, there wasn't much of a story there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Anyway, with Alan Carr as the producer, everyone thought it was going to be another hit like Grease. Unfortunately, the disco craze landed with a thud at Comiskey Park in Chicago the year before on Disco Demolition Night.

Yes, "Can't Stop the Music', came out when disco was on the wane. In fact, I kept a Hollywood Reporter, for reasons other than what I'm about to tell you, that has a two-page ad in it for this "upcoming" same film, which apparently had a different title: "Discoland, Where the Music Never Ends." Also, remember in the movie Airplane which came out in mid-1980, there's a scene where you see the Chicago skyline and a radio tower (KLMN for my purposes here) and you hear a radio announcer say, "You're listening to radio station KLMN where Disco lives forever," at which point the "Airplane" flies into and knocks over the radio tower." LOL!
______

After I posted that billboard photo, I saw this item about the Sunset billboard: "This billboard, promoting the Village People disco-musical "Can't Stop the Music" graced Sunset Blvd. The billboard itself actually had a traffic-stopping, star-studded, red-carpet, unveiling ceremony on "Can't Stop The Music Day" (Thank you, mayor Tom Bradley). The red carpet extended from the billboard all the way to the door of the famous Schwab's drugstore. Long after the movie - a monumental flop - had disappeared from theaters, this billboard was still up. For more info on the making of this memorably bad film, check out the book "Party Animals: A Hollywood Tale of Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll Starring the Fabulous Allan Carr" by Robert Hofler.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jun 3, 2019 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIFFPAUL View Post
This is the clock at the Hollywood Bowl now.
Who's that good lookin' noirish lookin' fellow?

*lightbulb*...I remember now --you work a stone's throw from the bowl entrance in one of those little historic cottages, right?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 3, 2019 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I recently saw this photo that I don't recall posted on NLA before that was taken there when it was the Dudley Do Right Emporium.

VLA-FLickr

It must've been taken around the time of that infamous Burt Reynolds centerfold issue in Cosmopolitan which was April of 1972.

Bullwinkle -
A buddy and I made a pilgrimage to the Dudley Do-Right Emporium in 1978 or so, not long after I'd first gotten my driver's license. The Emporium was closed when we arrived but there was a sign on the door indicating that if anyone wanted to visit the shop, we should come knock on the front door at the next building. So I did.

The man who answered the door was gracious and said someone would be there shortly to let us into the Emporium. It wasn't until many years later that I realized the amiable man was Jay Ward himself. I'd never seen a photo of him at that point. To this day I regret the lost opportunity to tell him how much I loved his cartoons.

I ended up buying two or three little souvenirs, whatever I could afford, which wasn't much. One was a cassette of incidental music from various Jay Ward shows. I've still got it somewhere.

On the opposite side of the Emporium as seen in this photo, they had painted a very funny series of images detailing the process of making an animated TV show. One showed movie film being processed at a lab, with several dollar signs above it. I guess that was a huge expense for them.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Jazz club, 1962

Small's Paradise West, 3617 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles CA

Heather David on flickr 1962

The club was located just outside the northwest corner of Leimert Park.

Has anyone heard of this place before? It was, supposedly, an offshoot of a famous nightclub in Harlem [NYC].

Today, the building houses a billiard parlor.

GSV

Small's Paradise West appears to have come and gone inside little more than a year.

The building was a vacant nightclub by March of 1964.

ladbsdoc.lacity.org

And becomes what it is these days, a billiards parlor, in October of 1964.

ladbsdoc.lacity.org

Buddy Rich did a week's residency at Paradise West in October of 1963.

jazztourdatabase.com

The sign in the original picture is announcing Sally Blair. With the more usual spelling Sallie, she had a fleeting flirtation with stardom in the late 1950's/early 60's.

discogs.com

bwagg.blogspot.com - Sallie Blair : Barefoot Bombshell

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 2:00 AM

Excellent information, Noir Noir. Thanks so much!

Tonight's mystery location. Thriftymart, Los Angeles [c.1959]

Original 35mm Kodachrome slide.

Ebay (sold) u can still see it if you click the link & then scroll down.

I think (and I could wrong) the photographer jumped out of that car, ran across the street, & took the photograph.

Besides Thriftymart, the clues include Coleman CL ...and something I hadn't noticed (until I enlarged the photo). ...A watertower! see below

DETAIL

note the cool sign about the pharmacy entrance.

So do you sleuths think we can figure out this location? ...*looks for whip*

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 4, 2019 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 3:35 AM

One thing that's lost in photographs is the movements in signs. ('traveling' neon...rotation..revolting..ha ha...meant revolving...well..you get the picture.

Here's one example that I am sure almost no one remembers.

Heather David at flickr

soooo..these letters rotated!

I. HAD. NO. IDEA.

Does anyone remember this?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 4:12 AM

I believe it is the same family run restaurant. It moved from its downtown location to its present sometime in the early 60s. As I remember it, some of the staff from the downtown location continued to work at new location for decades.

[QUOTE=CaliNative;8587364]
Quote:
[I]

A nice glimpse at TAIX French restaurant.

^^^^^

No relation to the better known Taix French Rest. in Echo Park area I presume, or was this a satellite location or maybe the original?

Was ABC beer brewed by the burgermeisters who made Brew 102?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 4:52 AM

In re: Thriftimart...

This thread on Thriftimart locations https://www.groceteria.com/board/vie...php?f=27&t=991 from Groceteria.com might help.

I'm quite familiar with the Thriftimart which was on Los Alamitos Blvd. at Farquhar (it's now a Vons). I can at least say that the pic in question is not that Thriftimart.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Guess what? I'm pretty sure that I bought the Raggedy Man novelization! I don't know what I'd think now, but I liked the film when it was released. Sissy Spacek and Eric Roberts were in it. It was directed and produced by those who also did Norma Rae and Hud. Henry Thomas (pre-E.T.) is in the film, too.

Do they still make movie tie-in books? I'm assuming you meant those novelizations they used to write from the screenplays? I used to buy some of those when I liked a film and wanted to experience it again in some way. This was mostly before home video that I bought them, when you couldn't see a movie anytime you wanted to. I never read one of those "before" I'd seen the film, though. Did people do that?

It kinda makes sense that "Can't Stop the Music" wouldn't have made a good novelization, there wasn't much of a story there!

Yes, I guess Grease was his one big hit. After "Music" he did Grease 2, then the infamous "Snow White Oscars" and then it seems he was finished!

Yes, "Can't Stop the Music', came out when disco was on the wane. In fact, I kept a Hollywood Reporter, for reasons other than what I'm about to tell you, that has a two-page ad in it for this "upcoming" same film, which apparently had a different title: "Discoland, Where the Music Never Ends." Also, remember in the movie Airplane which came out in mid-1980, there's a scene where you see the Chicago skyline and a radio tower (KLMN for my purposes here) and you hear a radio announcer say, "You're listening to radio station KLMN where Disco lives forever," at which point the "Airplane" flies into and knocks over the radio tower." LOL!
______

After I posted that billboard photo, I saw this item about the Sunset billboard: "This billboard, promoting the Village People disco-musical "Can't Stop the Music" graced Sunset Blvd. The billboard itself actually had a traffic-stopping, star-studded, red-carpet, unveiling ceremony on "Can't Stop The Music Day" (Thank you, mayor Tom Bradley). The red carpet extended from the billboard all the way to the door of the famous Schwab's drugstore. Long after the movie - a monumental flop - had disappeared from theaters, this billboard was still up. For more info on the making of this memorably bad film, check out the book "Party Animals: A Hollywood Tale of Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll Starring the Fabulous Allan Carr" by Robert Hofler.

OK, Call me shocked!

I have an old box of Pinnacle paperbacks in a closet downstairs, The books have been in the box for about 39 years,
and I don't think I have looked inside for about 25 years. Had no idea what was in there. So, I ripped off the tape and
started pulling out the books. And all of a sudden, there it was.

Front cover:

My Photo

Back cover:

My Photo

I had never looked inside the book. It's a picture book with still shots from the movie
and cartoon bubbles above people's heads with spoken lines from the movie. Talk about corny.
There is also a 16 page color section in the middle, mostly showing the Village People in full battle gear.
Jenner and Perrine (who appears to keep "most" of her clothes on in the movie) seem to be the love interest.

Now, I want to to see the movie!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos