HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 8:21 PM

Piedmont Park

That was one of the best Dogwood Fests we've been to, great crowd but not toooo crowded -- guess there were enough other things going on last weekend.

So they're in the middle of quite a bit of work out there: where the off-leash dog park was on the north side of the bridge is getting prepped for BeltLine and restoration of Clear Creek. Guess that means the sewer work is done. And, huge news, the lower entrance to the new parking deck is now open! From the Park Drive bridge I could see cars coming in from Monroe across a nicely built stone bridge. It looks great and the grade separations were all put in.

Piedmont Driving Club construction is complete and people were out on the new patio (about 30 feet up from the park)

Everything looked great

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 8:41 PM

^I stopped by Dogwood on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. Agreed, it was a great event. I love how amazing Piedmont Park is, especially compared to what it was 20 years ago.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 9:55 PM

It was great weather for the Dogwood Festival this year. My family lives about a mile away and we had a nice walk to the park with our son napping in his stroller. My favorite part of the festival is just people watching. Very cool to see such a nice cross section of Atlantans coming together to have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I love how amazing Piedmont Park is, especially compared to what it was 20 years ago.
Yes, I remember going to my first Dogwood Fest in the late 80s when you could drive a car through part of the Park near 12th and Piedmont. So weird. The whole park is much better landscaped and maintained now than it was back then.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 3:15 PM

I half expect the Piedmont Driving Club members to pour hot oil down on us commoners from that rampart.

Hasn't the lower entrance to the parking deck been open for months?

The Deck is great. Amazing that some naysayers still won't admit that.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 4:30 PM

Well, does anybody know if they are actually using that Redfields to Greenfields thing I mentioned the other day, it sure seems like a good idea.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 6:05 PM

That Redfields plan seemed very high concept. I know it's a Professor at Tech who seemed to be the main guy behind it. Not sure what their short-term plans are.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 2:31 PM

Canopy Walk Grand Opening

The Grand Opening of the Canopy Walk, Edible Garden and
Cascades Garden marks the completion of an expansion project which nearly doubles the size of the Garden.

Saturday, May 1
10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

A fun and zany parade, outdoor cooking demonstrations, live music, a performer on stilts and family activities are in store as the Garden unveils the second phase of an expansion that doubles its size.

Be among the first in Atlanta to stroll the treetops on the soaring Canopy Walk, explore fresh flavors in the Edible Garden or relax with the tranquil waterfalls in the Cascades Garden.

Grand Opening

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 7:28 PM

Cool! I can't wait to do the Canopy Walk

Sort of park-y news: looks like we got $400,000 from the feds for cleanup of the BeltLine and areas adjacent. That's awesome

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 2:26 AM

Piedmont Park Expansion.

Bocce Courts!

And I think this is near where an outdoor fireplace will be

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 8:51 PM

^ Great pics. Piedmont Park is awesome. Does anyone have any updates on the proposed renovation of Charlie Loudermilk Park in Buckhead? The renderings look great. There's no time line for construction, but I hope they are able to start in a year or so.

http://www.loudermilkpark.com/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 4:01 AM

New restaurant for Centennial Park

Centennial Olympic Park will be getting a new restaurant by July.
A new restaurant, serving hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, milkshakes and ice cream, will replace the former FountainSide Cafe by this summer, said Mark Banta, general manager of the 21-acre Centennial Olympic Park.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...6/daily32.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 1:58 PM

Finally !!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelra View Post
Finally !!
Yeah, the old place was the pits. This is one of my absolute favorite urban parks in the country. Just behind Bryant

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 2:55 PM

^ No skating. No scootering. No biking.

Just admire those bricks.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 6:34 PM

Well, some people would like to just walk around in a park without getting run down by a motor scooter or a dang skateboard.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 3:20 PM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
^ No skating. No scootering. No biking.

Just admire those bricks.
I haven't checked on the other parks, but I did see where Piedmont Park is building a new skate park in the expansion. The new Old Fourth Ward Park has broken ground on a skate park, and the planned Boulevard Crossing Park also has a skate park. But yes, none of those shenanigans downtown.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 2:32 PM

Any word on when the Piedmont Park skatepark is being built or who's designing it?

I don't know where to keep track of the Piedmont Park expansion.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
The put out a new batch of progress shots

Photo Gallery

I'm having a really hard time visualizing what the finished product is going to look like. Anybody know of a similar retention pond that exists anywhere? It almost looks like it's being designed so high water times would actually put a good bit of the hardscaping under water (including that curving walkway) but I'm probably confused
No, you're exactly right. One of the design presentations for the park showed that water feature is designed to contain a 100 year flood. As you say, much of the hardscaping and landscaping around the "pond" would be under water in such an event.

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 11:14 PM
I've been around

The coming Westside Park, at 351 acres, will be almost one-half the size of NYC's Central Park and will be twice the size of Piedmont Park. It will be one of the most recognized parks in the world!
The Bellwood Quarry will be turned into a very very deep 50 acre reservoir in the Park. The park will be located between Johnson Rd and Donald Lee Holowell Highway (formerly Bankhead Highway)

The only thing I don't like in the drawing below is that there are no pools or swimming area, and you can't put community gardens under power lines because of the E/M field.

Today:

Last edited by netdragon; May 2, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
Any word on when the Piedmont Park skatepark is being built or who's designing it?

I don't know where to keep track of the Piedmont Park expansion.
It's under consideration with a number of options, but no final decision has yet been made.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta