HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 3:11 PM
Closed account

Midland City,Oklahoma-Sketchup

As of 2/18/1, I have three sections done: Residential, Commerical District, and the lowrise district consisting of old, and modern lowrise buildings.

Section 3 Completed:

Last edited by Flamesrule; Feb 19, 2011 at 12:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 7:33 PM
Closed account

Ugh this subforum is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Here is a update

I finished the 2nd block.Completed in 1987, the 2nd tallest building is the Richmond International Inc.It the is the Regional Headquarters of the Midwest.The other building with the skyviewy thing on the top is the WorldFax Building. As of now I am only doing commercial. Probably in my next update will be more residential.

I hope you like it so far!

Last edited by Flamesrule; Aug 23, 2010 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 10:32 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

yeah we are completely dead here!

anyways, im glad you started a new city. you'll def improve a lot switching projects.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 3:19 AM

I'm definitely looking forward to what you'll make. I loved Tennington and wished you would have continued expanding it, but I'm sure this project will turn out excellent too.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 8:51 AM

Cool. Indeed, we are kinda dead. I guess there aren't that many Sketchup nerds out there. If there are, they haven't found their way here yet. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the progress!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 10:52 AM
nuttin

I like it so far ! At first glance i couldn't pick wether the facades were texture or hand drawn which definitley means they're of good quality.

A good start like this is a very motivating step towards developing a rip snorter of a city !

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 12:03 PM

Good start! Using Google / Bing maps for your textures will definately help to get a lot of unique and realistic looking buildings texture-wise. Your Tennington city evolved into a quite impressive Skechtup city so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Btw. thanks for your efforts in trying to keep this forum alive.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 2:26 PM
Closed account

Thanks Guys for your great comments! They are keeping my inspriation up!

No more teaser shots!

Anyway here is a update. I am showing you two new buildings today. The first one is the Complaste Residence Place. The company was founded in 2004,and this building started construction started in 2007 and ended in 2009. It is 4 stories high, but it has a skyview and a overlook on the top of the building. Here is a morning shot:

This international box style building is the NetLife Computer Branding Company. It was completed in 1970 and was the tallest building in Midland for 25 years. At 332 feet the NetLife(NT for short) is widely known in Oklahoma becuase the company was originated there. This pic was shot in the evening, while looking at the NetLife Branding.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 4:46 PM
Closed account

Here is a update:

The new block is the 5th block in the city. The semi art deco building is the Mistlon Residence building and is the 5th tallest building in Midland City. It was built in 1943 and started construction in 1941. The other building is the smallest in Midland City and was built in 1981. The space before that was a parking garage for the art deco building. The garage was moved becuase of lacking residence and so it was removed in 1967. It went untouchable for about 15 years. Here is a shot:

Here is a skyline shot of Midland City. It is now looking more like a city.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 12:59 AM
Closed account

It's getting dead again around here!(school probably)

Here is a update:

Lookin at the Windstar Group Enterprises. The building was constructed in 1974 and it is a internaional box style building. The company was founded in 1924 and has grown fairly large since 1970. The buildign has a abouve and a undergorund parking area. Behind the building is a another smaller buildig which is the Wislin Residence Area Building. But I will show you that later. I have really liked to do render but I hate the long hours. This one only took 6 minutes though!

Morning Shot:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 12:46 PM
Closed account

Looking at the Clavour SetLife Inc. the building was created in 1999 and is 100 feet tall. IT has coloums rising up at about 90 feet or so.Please ignore those white dots.

Overview of part of the city.

11 Hours of rendering!

Looking at the new and renovated Midland Library. It was finished in 2001 and has about 8,000-11,000 books in it.

Looking at the New Quest Life Building. Completed in 1999.The car I got is from the Wharehouse.

Looking down Potter street.

Skyline so far:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 9:41 AM

Other than the street pavement/lines texture not being right, it looks like your city is off to a great start.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 1:02 PM

This is progressing really nice! The building designs look unique, interesting and realistic. The skyline has nice randomness to it. I like it. Couple of things bother me, though. One is the road lines, as JHoward mentioned. It's better to have no road markings at all than road markings, that are wrong. The other thing is the unevenly spaced columns on the Clavour SetLife Building. But altogether great job!

Btw. your render times sound really long. Those scenes aren't that complex. I can't guess the reason, though, since I don't know Indigo, but you should look into it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 5:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
Other than the street pavement/lines texture not being right, it looks like your city is off to a great start.
yeah I don't know what happened. THey fine in sketchup but twhen rendered it akes the lines and mixes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
This is progressing really nice! The building designs look unique, interesting and realistic. The skyline has nice randomness to it. I like it. Couple of things bother me, though. One is the road lines, as JHoward mentioned. It's better to have no road markings at all than road markings, that are wrong. The other thing is the unevenly spaced columns on the Clavour SetLife Building. But altogether great job!

Btw. your render times sound really long. Those scenes aren't that complex. I can't guess the reason, though, since I don't know Indigo, but you should look into it.

Thanks!The only reason they are long because it is a unbiased renderer unlike Kerkythea.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 11:37 AM
Closed account

Ok here is a update!

Looking at Winstar Street and looking at Comstat Brothers Insurance Building.(building on the very right side) It was built origianlly a library but because of the new constructed library they renovated it to a commercial building.

Looking more at Lampton Steet with some nice small shops:

Looking at the Rightside Park. It has a nice pond and some trees for kids to play around. The tall building in front of the park is AllCorp Building. It is a smaller company inside of the city. The building was built in 2001.

Only one more block until the Buisness Distrcit is finished. After that I am on to the government distrcit.(city hall, court ect)

Last edited by Flamesrule; Oct 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 8:13 AM

I absolutely love the lowrise building in the center of the first render in your last update (to the left of the Comstat Bros)! It's just the kind of architecture I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Thanks!The only reason they are long because it is a unbiased renderer unlike Kerkythea.
Well, Kerkythea too has unbiased methods, for example Progressive Path Tracing (which I always use for daylight outdoor scenes) and Metropolis Light Transport (which I use for interior scenes). PTP is a very fast method for extrerior scenes with only one or two light sources (sun and/or sky).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 11:16 AM
Closed account

Update!:

The camera shot was on the highway looking at the core of the city. All of these shots were taken in the early morning.:

Looking at the Watson Palce:

Overview of the city. The buisness District is now complete(except for one block) The next distirct will probabaly be a small residential district or the govenrment district.

Onto Section Two!

Last edited by Flamesrule; Oct 11, 2010 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 6:13 AM

looks good, I like the city layout. As i said to Insertname before you should improve youre texturing a bit by extruding some buildings so the windows dont end directly at the roof.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 12:02 PM
Closed account

..... next page....

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 12:02 PM
Closed account

next page please!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup