HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 1:20 AM
Love Atlanta Boom

Atlanta's Peachtree Lofts and Cornerstone village

any reviews on these two converted renovation condos/ lofts?

Are they safe to live in?

anyone been inside them or know of anyone that lives there? do they like it?

how would you rate it?

will these increase in value as the newer condos are going to be built right next to them?
I saying... increase in 5-8 years from now.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 2:22 AM
100% Right 50% Of Time

I used to live in the Cornerstone lofts - when they were apartments. Wasn't thrilled about them, but I can only imagine they are better now than they were 6 years when they opened. Especially the neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 5:01 AM

I have friends in Cornerstone. The places aren't all that great but as they are both architects, they did some pretty neat stuff to it. Nevertheless, they've decided to move out. They just think the neighborhood is still too transitional (lots of street action) and are ready to move into something a little more upscale.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 7:16 AM
Wahoo Wah

Ha, I've actually lived in both. I lived in the top-floor southeast apartment in Peachtree Lofts for two years, and I lived in one of the new-construction "loft-o-miniums" of Cornerstone Village for 6 months.

I really liked Peactree Lofts and was sorry to leave. You get a lot of space for your money there, the 24-hour doorman is awesome to have (it used to be Clarence, and he was great), there's a dog walk, and it's an authentic older structure. That being said, your mileage will vary here depending on your unit. When it first went condo, the units were not improved: by default they have painted black concrete floors, linoleum countertops, and cheap appliances. They also don't have delineated rooms at all -- they're true lofts. Some of the units, however, have been improved to dramatic effect. For instance, the unit immediately beneath my rental was completely reconfigured with a closed bedroom, hardwoods everywhere, and a gorgeous kitchen. I'm not sure what it's like now, but I was renting in 2001-2003 for just over $1/ft there, even as the brand-new Metropolis was going for almost twice that.

My Cornerstone Village "loft," on the other hand, was kind of cheesy. It was new construction facing the courtyard pool. It was a decent deal as well, compared to other places in Midtown, but it felt sort of like a suburban unit fitted into the complex. There was nice berber carpet, there were traditional rooms with walls, and the units (like Peachtree Lofts) were decently sized. The ceiling had exposed ductwork and concrete beams, but it seemed kind of artificial. The walls were also pretty thin. I had also heard some stories of leaking in my building, and the parking deck was a mess: it was very literally falling apart during my time there, with blocks of concrete buckling and shifting as you drove over them. They started doing fixes to it as I was leaving. BUT, the biggest problem that came up re: the parking deck was that the homeowners' association was woefully underfunded, so they used up all their funds and more (through assessments, I believe I heard) to repair the deck.

I feel like Peachtree Lofts will be recognized as a true gem in the coming years, and that units there will hold their value (and then some), especially those that are renovated. Unlike many of the other units going up today in Midtown, the condos there are sizable, and the building amenities are great. The loft-o-miniums at Cornerstone (the new construction), on the other hand, I feel is almost destined to become affordable housing. I don't see how it will remain desirable compared to the other options around now. I can't speak for the other buildings, though; In fact I hear the units in the "traditional" building at Cornerstone (with crown moulding, hardwoods, etc.) are pretty nice. But I have no firsthand knowledge of them.

Parking is very tight in both of these complexes, with assigned spaces and no guest parking. They both have comparable workout rooms, though the pool's a little nicer at Cornerstone.

One thing I would have lost in my place in Peachtree Lofts, though, if I'd stayed, was my view. Oh, it was incredible, especially since I had a corner unit. Our downtown view was amazing and spanned the entire 25 feet of my southern wall. Now, it would be blocked by Spire. The Stone Mountain view I had is likely destined to be blocked in the future as well by buildings across Peachtree.

Last edited by joey; Dec 23, 2006 at 7:55 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 3:16 AM
Love Atlanta Boom

thanks for your reply joey

Hey Joey,

thanks for your reply. it's great that you lived in both of the condos so I can get both perspectives from you.

And I LOVE the pictures!

Do you have any reasons on why peachtree lofts will retain its value or even appreciate in value over the years?

And how come the cornerstone village won't retain its value?

Also, I know you lived in the "newer" part of cornerstone village, but have you ever heard of any stories of the "older" brick condos of cornerstone? Are they renovated at all in the insides?

How does the cornerstone village's lobby look like?

And is the workout room clean or messy?

And, are the residents mainly ga tech and ga state students OR business men/ women?

Sorry about all these questions, I'm looking around town for some condos to buy by middle of next year.

Do you think buying a condo NOW is better, or summer of 2007?

Thank you again Joey!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 3:37 AM
100% Right 50% Of Time

^ I lived in the older Cornerstone building - a renovated 50's era office building. The units, at least the corner unit we lived in are spacious with all the typical loft elements. But it widely varies by what the occupant did to their unit, one big problem was the amount of dust that was due to the bricks. Also - the windows did a poor job of curbing noise & light. The lobby... you can take a look at it from the street, it is very spartan. But most of the recreational facilities are in the oldest structure of the complex, the old hotel, which though containing smaller units, have much more character. That is where there is the film room - a mini-movie theater which was quite nice.

From what I heard from people that lived in Peachtree Lofts, they are quite nice & very established. I believe they were the first loft structure in Midtown or at least on Peachtree St. Plus you have the Vortex, Cornerstone just had a pretentious wine bar & now a furniture store.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 3:46 AM
Love Atlanta Boom

Teshadoh,

if you were to buy a condo in the midtown mile... which one would you buy, considering that you DON"T have a big budget.

So... say between Cornerstone village and peachtree lofts, which one is a better investment and a better buy?

Overall, which one do you prefer?

Are a lot of the brick condos in cornerstone village (the older ones)... are they renovated or not?
And how BAD was the parking deck for real? I have heard of bad stories about them, and they may be remodeling them in the future.

Did you enjoy living at cornerstone village?

And what were all the CONS/ bad stuff about living there.

Do you think these condos will appreciate in value in the future?
Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 5:19 AM

When I was looking at places to buy I also looked at the Cornerstone Lofts. I was scared away by the parking deck problems. Remember, Cornerstone is a relatively new development and if they are having issues with the physical structure after 3-4 years of existence, just imagine what things could be like 10-15 years down the line. Go ahead and buy a condo but try and veer away from ones with HOAs that are underfunded or are getting hit with lots of assessments.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 4:05 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

The parking deck was quickly built - not to mention there are of course security problems (my wife's car was robbed). I would go with Peachtree Lofts out of the two.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 2:19 AM
Love Atlanta Boom

theft/ security

Oh wow, your wife's car was broken into?

How was the crime rate/ theft in these two condos?

And what about just the crime rate in the midtown area? is it dangerous?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 3:25 AM
100% Right 50% Of Time

^ This was 6 years ago when directly behind the condo complex were crack dealers / users & directly in front on Peachtree at night were prostitutes. As safe as it was in 2000 compared to 1990, I think it is a world's difference now than it was then.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2006, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyouhere View Post
Oh wow, your wife's car was broken into?

How was the crime rate/ theft in these two condos?

And what about just the crime rate in the midtown area? is it dangerous?
Crime exists in Midtown just like any other part of Atlanta. Don't keep anything in your car of value. Be vigilant when walking. If you have a security alarm for your home get it monitored and upgrade your locks. Making it hard for a thief to get to your possessions can be the difference between getting robbed and having them give up after trying for a while. I have personally had a car broken into in midtown (1660 Peachtree Apts) and an attempted unsuccessful apartment break in (Monroe Place).

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 6:22 PM

I currently live at Monroe Place and my car was stolen from here late last year. I'm actually moving in to 900 Peachtree (the smaller 4 story building on the same block as Peachtree Lofts) near the end of January. I know the units are pretty much the same as they are in the Peachtree Lofts and I really like mine, it's large and open and pretty cheap too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta