HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 12:24 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._to_start.html

Mega Millions a mega prize for 18 Ground Zero workers: 'It's a great way to start New Year'

A group of 18 Ground Zero construction workers won $250,000 on Mega Millions Christmas Eve.

BY Lukas I. Alpert and Bill Hutchinson
January 7th 2011

Quote:
Hardworking Ground Zero hardhats struck gold on Christmas Eve, hitting a $250,000 lottery jackpot.

The 18 workers on the transit hub at the World Trade Center site were winners of the Mega Millions drawing that night by picking five of six numbers

.."I can't even think about that," said carpenter John Kennedy, 47, of Richmond Hill, Queens, who purchased the $90 block of tickets at a newsstand in the shadow of the fast-rising Freedom Tower.

..."Winning the lottery on Christmas Eve is certainly good karma for the 1 World Trade Tower," said senior partner Brian O'Dwyer. "It's one of the most fun cases we've had."

After taxes, the group got a check of $165,075, which works out to $9,170 each.

"It's not a life-changing thing, but every little bit helps," said laborer Mike Perrone, 48, of East Islip, L.I. "I think my wife's got it spent already."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 12:27 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Actually, it's the 72nd floor 880' where all 8 sides are 89 feet wide.
I put 72 and then changed it to 78. Stoopid brain.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 2:53 AM

Wow, the Deutsche Bank Building no longer exists...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 3:13 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGreg View Post
Old steam heating pipes leaking all over the city. That why you see it coming from the manhole covers etc.
Actually, that looks like it was taken the day after the snowstorm, when high winds blew snow into drifts across the city.

Here's a photo of Brooklyn from the NY Times of the same phenomenon:

nytimes.com

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
The one picture of the Empire State Building looks like the city is on fire. Is there lots of smoke? Pardon my ignorance.
It's probably fog. There actually is a lot of moisture on some days in Manhattan.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 6:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
It's probably fog. There actually is a lot of moisture on some days in Manhattan.
No, it's definitely not fog. The only fog that looks even remotely like that is steam fog which only develops directly over water. It's drifting snow.

Last edited by Don098; Jan 8, 2011 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:18 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Been a while since I showed off the top. The sun caught the frames in such a way that you can really see the arrangement of panes.

Finally did the corners of the base. And redid the base. And the tower curtain wall. And the columns. And the floors (the model finally has a 2nd floor, it's been missing since the beginning). This thing is about 90% new. Should be the last time I redo it.

Last edited by STR; Jan 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 1:18 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Okay, two questions for STR: Do we actually know what the curtain wall is going to look like in detail, or are we guessing? And two, those vertical stripes on the upper floor cladding - are they indicative of a functional element, or just an external design feature to diversify the exterior?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 5:05 PM
Honored Member

He is not guessing and the stripes on the upper floors are air intakes.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 6:40 PM

I wonder how high it will be by the anniversary?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 7:13 PM
Honored Member

It well be just 3 months away from the target date for topping out so I would say around 1,000 feet.

(I'm assuming you mean the tenth aniversery.)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 7:43 PM

Just curious once it is topped off at the roof level, will it have the Trump effect? Where it takes months and months for the spire to come up?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:14 PM
don't *meddle*...

good to see there is / was still progress during the snow storms. the pic with the statue of liberty is just epic.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:32 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Just curious once it is topped off at the roof level, will it have the Trump effect? Where it takes months and months for the spire to come up?
Yes. It's what happens with every building this size. The original 1WTC didn't have its antenna installed until ~1974, two years after top out.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:35 PM
Frigidus Maximus

The tower is turning out so wonderful... and I think the whole complex will be the same... that once done, no one will even imagine having built it any other way. I seriously doubt anyone will seriously keep bemoaning that the height was "only" 1776 feet. It will be a masterpiece of 21st century urban planning.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:37 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Yes. It's what happens with every building this size. The original 1WTC didn't have its antenna installed until ~1974, two years after top out.
I'm not so sure - the antenna for 1WTC was an afterthought; this spire is integral to the design. There will be tremendous pressure to get the thing done and no real reason to delay things. The cranes, etc., will be onsite... why putz around with it?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 9:15 PM

The 360' Antenna including mast was built in 78 or 79 years after the twins opened .

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 9:19 PM

Just Checking

Got a chance to stop down at the site this afternoon. Its was a nice experience. Didn't know that work was going on over the weekend. I figured out why the crane is mounted on the side of the building and I got a better idea how the elevators operate.
That is some brutal weather down there. Don't know how those guys stay warm way up there in the sky.
Over heard some people not know which building was which. One couple didn't know that the building they were looking at was 7 WTC. I just couldn't put my 2 cents in.
More than anything else, it's difficult to grasp the magnitude that 1 WTC will be twice the size of 7. But then again I remember the Twin Towers. I remember look up and feeling as though they were a mile in the air.
It was good experience.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 9:53 PM
Skyscraper Fan

It's amazing how fast One World Trade Center has gone up. When I was there in 2006, there was nothing there.

Also, STR those models are extroadinary and it gives me a better vision of what the WTC complex will look like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive