HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Marriott Marquis McCormick Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 12:54 AM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...335B4707812H8Y

McPier sues to move landmarked Prairie Avenue mansion
By: Alby Gallun March 17, 2014

Quote:
The city convention authority has gone to court to seize the site of a landmarked Prairie Avenue mansion where it wants to build a new basketball arena for DePaul University.
The Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority, or McPier, wants to move the Harriet F. Rees House, a 126-year-old limestone edifice, from 2110 S. Prairie Ave. to a vacant parcel one block north, according to a lawsuit the authority filed March 14. McPier filed the condemnation suit because it has been unable to reach an agreement to acquire the two properties, the complaint says.
McPier has been in the process of assembling land for the new 10,000-seat arena just north of McCormick Place, orchestrating a deal last year to move a Lakeside Bank branch there to another property in the South Loop. McPier also filed a condemnation suit to seize a property at 230 W. Cermak Rd. owned by CenterPoint Properties Trust. And the city is locked in litigation with James McHugh Construction Co. over another property west of the convention hall where McPier wants to build a hotel.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:01 PM

Unfortunately this tower isn't going to be as tall as we hoped. It'll still have 1,200 rooms, but it's going to be more in the 50-55 story range due to budgetary issues.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:40 PM

Budget issues, even with tons of TIF money? Wonderful. Now we wait and see what this thing looks like.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 12:51 AM

General Updates in the South Loop

Some interesting developments are coming from McPier and their schemes...
http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...he-south-loop/
Quote:
The Landmark Commission approved moving the Rees House 400 feet north, and across the street, to 2017 South Prairie Avenue. That puts it next door to the Reid House, a three-story home built in 1894 that is also the only survivor of its era on the block. Putting the two together is a great move because visually the pair are greater than the sum of their parts.
Quote:
he other elephant on the block is the American Book Company building at 320 East Cermak Road. There were fears among those in the preservation community that this building would be torn down to make way for the massive 1,200-room Marriott Marquis. But instead, McPier is going to incorporate the historic building into the shiny new hotel tower.
The five-story A.B.C. building will become four stories of hotel ballrooms, meeting spaces, and back-of-house offices over first floor retail. The old and new buildings will be connected via four-stories of glass and metal walkways on its west side. The connection’s design must still be approved by a committee.
Did I miss something or is connecting to the ABC Building a new development for the Marriott Marquis?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaterman11 View Post
Some interesting developments are coming from McPier and their schemes...
http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...he-south-loop/

Did I miss something or is connecting to the ABC Building a new development for the Marriott Marquis?
I thought this was new as well. I was under the impression that the ABC building was to be converted into a data center. But looking back in the thread, Mr Downtown mentioned this before, over a month ago. The 5-story ABC building facing Cermak will be incorporated into the hotel. The data center will be 11 stories tall, probably entirely new construction, and will occupy the northeast portion of the block, I guess where the rest of the ABC complex stands today.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
I thought this was new as well. I was under the impression that the ABC building was to be converted into a data center. But looking back in the thread, Mr Downtown mentioned this before, over a month ago. The 5-story ABC building facing Cermak will be incorporated into the hotel. The data center will be 11 stories tall, probably entirely new construction, and will occupy the northeast portion of the block, I guess where the rest of the ABC complex stands today.
The data center is to built just to the north of the ABC Building.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 5:29 PM

Something not to be missed (or so I've been led to believe):

http://pdnachicago.com/page10.php

Quote:
What's in Store for the South Loop in 2014? New Developments, New Parks, New Schools? RSVP NOW

Come to this meeting and be fascinated by the detailed presentation on the moving of the Landmark Harriet Rees House and the addition of a new park/open space in the Prairie District. Presentations to include:

Passover Acknowledgement
MPEA 1200 Room Headquarters Hotel
DePaul Arena/Event Center

Traffic, Parking and Security Initiatives
Landmark Rees House Move Detail
Data Center Design and Operation

New Park/Open Space Addition
New Retail/Commercial Space
New South Loop Developments
Education and School Initiatives
You can RSVP via that page. The meeting is on Monday at 7pm. I am planning to attend but am not 100% sure I can make it.

I haven't heard anything, but I am reasonably sure that the park/open space addition they are referring to is the new music and dog park being built on the east side of Wabash between 16th and 18th.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:13 PM

Meeting tonight: 7 p.m. at Second Presbyterian Church, 1936 S. Michigan Ave.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...-official-says

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:49 PM

I was able to attend the meeting last night and here are a few notes:
  • The Rees House will be moved to 2017 S Prairie in late July or early August. They will not be removing furniture or fixtures - just picking up the whole thing and moving it down the street. The old foundation will not be coming along for the ride, but the coach house and front porch are. A few trees will need to be cut down to facilitate the move.
  • Demolition for the data center is planned to start this summer.
  • There is a planned curb cut on Calumet just north of the ABC building. This will be shared with the hotel, data center, and ABC building. That block of Calumet is currently a one-way street (heading north) and will become 2-way.
  • The Lakeside Bank building at 14th and Michigan is scheduled for construction starting this summer.
  • The first floor of the ABC building along Cermak will be restaurant space - open to the public.
  • The entire first floor of the hotel (except for check-in/check-out desk space) will be retail and restaurant - open to the public.
  • The data center developer is contributing $5 million for a pocket park in the vicinity. The site is currently in negotiations so they are not saying where it will be.
  • Finally, a few pages ago in this thread (I think it was this thread), I mentioned community demands for school facilities and said that none were needed and it was a crazy demand. Well, the gentleman leading the push gave a small presentation at the meeting. It turns out that the demand is to merge South Loop Elementary and NTA Elementary into a single neighborhood district (dual campus), but make it K-12 instead of K-8. To do this, they envision an expansion
    of NTA for the 9-12 classrooms. There is plenty of city-owned land at NTA for such an expansion. After hearing him out and seeing the slides he brought, I should say that I was wrong and that I do support the plan and that the near south TIF should either pay for it or have the base assessment revisited so that property taxes can pay for it. The $55 million in TIF money going to this hotel represents less than 1 year of near south TIF proceeds, and the school proposal isn't even asking for that much.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 9:22 PM

Some photos from last night's meeting from Curbed: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...pment-plan.php

Looks identical to the previous renders except for that tower to the east of the hotel (data center I guess). I guess it might be time to change this thread's imagery because the glass bouquet design they first teased us with is not happening.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
I was able to attend the meeting last night and here are a few notes:
  • The Rees House will be moved to 2017 S Prairie in late July or early August. They will not be removing furniture or fixtures - just picking up the whole thing and moving it down the street. The old foundation will not be coming along for the ride, but the coach house and front porch are. A few trees will need to be cut down to facilitate the move.
  • Demolition for the data center is planned to start this summer.
  • There is a planned curb cut on Calumet just north of the ABC building. This will be shared with the hotel, data center, and ABC building. That block of Calumet is currently a one-way street (heading north) and will become 2-way.
  • The Lakeside Bank building at 14th and Michigan is scheduled for construction starting this summer.
  • The first floor of the ABC building along Cermak will be restaurant space - open to the public.
  • The entire first floor of the hotel (except for check-in/check-out desk space) will be retail and restaurant - open to the public.
  • The data center developer is contributing $5 million for a pocket park in the vicinity. The site is currently in negotiations so they are not saying where it will be.
  • Finally, a few pages ago in this thread (I think it was this thread), I mentioned community demands for school facilities and said that none were needed and it was a crazy demand. Well, the gentleman leading the push gave a small presentation at the meeting. It turns out that the demand is to merge South Loop Elementary and NTA Elementary into a single neighborhood district (dual campus), but make it K-12 instead of K-8. To do this, they envision an expansion
    of NTA for the 9-12 classrooms. There is plenty of city-owned land at NTA for such an expansion. After hearing him out and seeing the slides he brought, I should say that I was wrong and that I do support the plan and that the near south TIF should either pay for it or have the base assessment revisited so that property taxes can pay for it. The $55 million in TIF money going to this hotel represents less than 1 year of near south TIF proceeds, and the school proposal isn't even asking for that much.
Good summary, thanks. (I also agree about the school proposal.) Here is a link to the entire presentation (also posted in the general developments thread):

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0012CenB...2EuXFvtnqgVg==

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:01 AM

This project goes before the plan commission on Wednesday 04/23

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 5:31 AM
TL;DR

Yeah, this new hotel design sucks and reeks of value engineering. It's like theWit's bigger, dumbed-down Vegas cousin.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, this new hotel design sucks and reeks of value engineering. It's like theWit's bigger, dumbed-down Vegas cousin.
I agree. Is it finalized?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 3:56 AM
DENNAB

I kinda like it, and there aren't many highrises in that area either (A bit south of the city I presume)

Is it still around 700 feet?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Is it still around 700 feet?
Yeah, that is the latest number from a meeting a few months ago. When it first came out, I think it was supposed to be 100+ feet less than that actually. It's increased in height.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
The emergency power generators for 350 Cermak are wedged into a pie shaped piece of land next to the busway just to the north of the building. IIRC, there is a couple hundred thousand gallons worth of diesel fuel tucked away somewhere on the property too.
Tucked away, or is that the massive tank thing sitting opposite Cermak that seems practically visible from space? If not, what is that giant thing?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Are both old and new designs by Gensler, and if so do we assume both are Gensler's Chicago office?

I can't believe that crappy looking draft of a highrise data center is Gensler though. Is this just McHugh's in-house design team? Its design should get a small share of the community criticism too. Just because there are some gorgeous buildings around it doesn't mean you can sneak attack with a junky new one in between them.

Anyway, what can you do. At least 715 feet -- and "Event Floor Level 62" -- have a really, really nice ring to them.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 1:31 PM
Urbane observer

The big tank at the foot of Cermak (behind the Platt Luggage façade) is MPEA's district cooling plant. I think they make ice in there overnight, when electricity is cheaper, to be used for cooling during the day.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 3:10 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I agree. Is it finalized?

Agree with you guys.

Project is getting lamer and lamer. Sure, I like the injection of tons of new activity, and could really kick-start the near-south side up to the south loop to truly join in this boom, but it's not doing much at all for me design-wise - and it had such great potential (who cares if the tower is still 600-700 ft if the design is such a ve'd-to-death banal version of the original?) Would much rather have a 500 ft version with a strong design statement (not even necessarily a 'statement' - just a strong design, period). And think of some of the other design submissions for the event center.......the winning Pelli is eh - it's ok....not bad, but there were better, for sure. The results overall here seem like they will have that sad 'Chicago government involvement in design decisions'-type of look (at least how it's largely been for the better part of 25-30 years, ie results lacking).

I've mentioned before, but I think not on this thread - it would be pretty bold for the city/mcpier to not at least delay for one month until may plan commission - it seems to me that a lot of this was all just publicly released this month........I mean, pretty much everyone knows these ways that Chicago (fails to) 'work', but has it just gotten to the point that location politicians don't even care anymore to put forth at least minor efforts to put up appareances that it's not all closed-door insider wheeler-dealing? I mean, c'mon guys - talk about lazy!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive