HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:26 PM

Yesterday:

Quote:
New Statesman photos from yesterday:

More here: http://galleries.statesman.com/gallery/fin...-081012/#612424

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:28 PM

More yesterday:

Quote:
Statesman: Final layers of asphalt at Circuit of the Americas coming soon

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/final-...he-2433548.html

Quote:
...and now what you've all been waiting for.

Grid Girls...

...and Grid Girls + Alexander Rossi:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 8:20 PM

We just posted 67 new photos shot on a tour yesterday morning by our buddy Art Nunes:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Samples:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 9:49 PM

Great pics, thanks. I think a lot of people fail to realize how much elevation change there is throughout the circuit, not just on Turn 1. Some of Art's photos show how great the race-day camera views could look on some of those other turns.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:07 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
My sister is a stylist at Roar, the salon that did the hair and makeup for the Austin Fashion Week opening night which F1 was involved in.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:44 AM
Meh

I was at my sister's house yesterday in Del Valle, and I noticed you can see the observation tower from their street even from their front porch. I took some photos of it, but they were accidentally deleted. So I'll have to try again the next time I'm there. The tower's shaft isn't very visible because of it being white, but the red metal supports and those huge cranes definitely were. The track is about 2 miles from their neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:44 PM

One of our FB followers found this "First Lap" video & posted it on the page. Only problem is that it's excruciatingly slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LA9Aw7Se-0

So Vance sped it up a bit. LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=508312402516643

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:48 AM

Turn1, thanks for keeping us posted on the COTA progress. I always look forward to your posts and pics. I watched the regular speed version of the test lap, it was intense! The driver was going so fast he didn't seem to have to slow down when a fully loaded dump truck pull out right in front of him. Actually the slow speed gave me time to see how enormous this project is and how far along they are, but also how far they still need to go. Been mentioned before I think, but will there be an elevator on the observation tower?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:01 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...0-2435393.html
Quote:
Travis County might make up to $34,000 by renting its parking spaces during F1

By Farzad Mashhood

Updated: 9:41 p.m. Monday, Aug. 13, 2012
Published: 7:28 p.m. Monday, Aug. 13, 2012

Travis County commissioners are considering a deal that could bring the county tens of thousands of dollars in parking fees during the Formula One race in November.

Commissioners voted in June to sell 1,131 spaces at market rate by opening up five county-owned lots typically restricted to county employees.

The lots would be available to the public the evenings of Nov. 15 and 16, a Thursday and Friday, and Nov. 17 and 18, said Marvin Brice, an assistant purchasing agent for the county. Until 5 p.m. on Nov. 15 and 16, the lots would only be open to county employees who park there for work.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:11 PM
~Hook'em~

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 2:53 PM

COTA released some new paving images today:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:07 PM

Mayor pulls support for F1 Fan Fest music festival at Auditorium Shores

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...t-2436667.html

ETA: Reid Ryan (Nolan Ryan's kid, who runs the Texas Rangers' AAA Minor League Baseball Round Rock Express) just tweeted this:

@robertreidryan #F1 concert a no-go in downtown #Austin. #rrexpress and Dell Diamond would love to host F1 music fest.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
Mayor pulls support for F1 Fan Fest music festival at Auditorium Shores

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...t-2436667.html

ETA: Reid Ryan (Nolan Ryan's kid, who runs the Texas Rangers' AAA Minor League Baseball Round Rock Express) just tweeted this:

@robertreidryan #F1 concert a no-go in downtown #Austin. #rrexpress and Dell Diamond would love to host F1 music fest.
Anything that helps the surrounding cities and screws Austin has my support..Good example, the Dell Diamond..Could have been in Austin but the city leaders didn't want it..

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Anything that helps the surrounding cities and screws Austin has my support..Good example, the Dell Diamond..Could have been in Austin but the city leaders didn't want it..
The hell it will be in round rock

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 11:29 PM

Vance just posted 33 nice new photos:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Some samples:

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 8:59 AM

It's a little puzzling why COTA doesn't want to have the "Fan Fest" music events at the Tower Amphitheater.

Are downtown venues are preferable to a venue in Elroy? What is the Tower Amphitheater's advantage over downtown venues seeking to book the same acts? If they have no advantage on race day, then when will they have one...and how? The Tower Amphitheater's capacity seems to change every time they bring it up, but the latest I've seen mentioned by a COTA rep is 15K. What advantage does it hold over the Erwin Center (~18K) or Zilker Park (70K)?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 10:03 AM
~Hook'em~

From what I know once the amphitheater is ready they will use it after the races to try to stagger those leaving once the race ends. So everyone isn't trying to leave all at once. But it won't be ready for this years race.

Additionally I can think of many reasons why they would want to put on a big show downtown this year, but obviously not being able to use their amphitheater is the main reason. If as I understand that it isn't going to be ready in time is accurate.

For one, a large part of the Austin population hates COTA. The fact it is a professional sport to start with, and a race on top of that is enough to make it really hard for them in a town like Austin where most of us are ignorant of car racing and just associate the sport with NASCAR and conservative toothless rednecks. On top of that how they went about getting and planning to use tax money from the state and the whole mess with that really alienated many people. Justly or not, they got a lot of bad press. So they need to engage the population of Austin. Sponsoring the Fashion Week is a fantastic start. Putting on a large Fan Fest downtown would have been another. But they sure do have their work cut out for them and a very hard uphill battle to win over Austin. For COTA to be successful it will need to win Austin. The worst thing they could possibly do is take Reid Ryan up on his offer to use the Dell Diamond in Round Rock.

Another big reason I can think of for having a show downtown is there is a reason they chose to locate the race in Austin. It has a kick ass party scene and is a hell of a fun town. They want those that attend the race to have a good time, and getting them to hit a show downtown after the race and likely hit the town after the show would be big in getting those that come to town for the race to really enjoy their trip and tell their friends what a great time they had and come back again for next years race.

And another reason is they need people to spend money in Austin. The $25 million they want from the state depends on Austin signing off on it, and for Austin to do that then Austin needs to make back all the money it spends on overtime and everything else with tax revenue. If the economic impact of the race and the tax revenue that Austin brings in, isn't enough then they will not get Austin to sign off, and possibly not get the money from the state. So that is a big reason to insure more people spend money downtown that week.

Lastly they could have just hired C3 to put on a big show on Auditorium Shores very easy. C3 has so much experience doing shows there that C3 could have done it blindfolded with one hand tied behind its back, no sweat. lol. If the Waller Creek project was not currently under construction then Waterloo Park would be a great other option, but it is u/c so it isn't an option.

As for the other places downtown. For the Erwin Center that is basketball season. They can set it up pretty quickly but UT will want a ton of money if they are going to go through the trouble. They would demand a LOT more money that I would think COTA would ever think of spending. Putting on a show at the Erwin Center is expensive as hell. Both for UT to host the event, and for whoever is putting on the event. It is a major venue, and not cheep or easy to use. For Zilker it is a bit far but a good option if it is available and all the days aren't used up already.

My advice is to go the SXSW route and sponsor a bunch of parties all over town. During South by there are over 900 shows a day seen by almost a half a million people a day (Note: many of that 500,000 are the same people seeing multiple shows) Sponsor some big acts at the larger venues like Moody, Stubbs and Mohawk. And sponsor lots of smaller parties and acts all around town. To do that though takes a lot of work and planning way far in advance, but there are plenty in Austin who can get a big time party together pretty quickly and do a much smaller scale version of South By. Another option get permits to shut down 6th and Congress and put on a street fest. Something like what the ROT Rally does on 6th and Congress and what Bat Fest does on the Congress Bridge. Just shut down the streets starting at 7pm and put up a stage right in the middle of the intersection. Most of those streets close down every weekend anyway, and with the F1 Grand Prix going on, and many more in town than usual there will already likely be more street closures downtown than on normal weekends. So just get a permit for a stage or two and rock on.

Last edited by BevoLJ; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
It's a little puzzling why COTA doesn't want to have the "Fan Fest" music events at the Tower Amphitheater.

Are downtown venues are preferable to a venue in Elroy? What is the Tower Amphitheater's advantage over downtown venues seeking to book the same acts? If they have no advantage on race day, then when will they have one...and how? The Tower Amphitheater's capacity seems to change every time they bring it up, but the latest I've seen mentioned by a COTA rep is 15K. What advantage does it hold over the Erwin Center (~18K) or Zilker Park (70K)?
I think it makes sense to do the "Fan Fest" in downtown. After all, the race may technically be in Elroy, but it is really in Austin... To take advantage of the hotels, restaurants, music clubs, and all the other cool things about the city, it really must be downtown.

However, I've always interpreted COTA's statements as indicating there would be concerts both at the track (after the race), and downtown. This despite the fact that they also say the amphitheater isn't going to be finished.. so it may be more a park-like concert at the track. The track concert would just be a single show Sunday afternoon. Downtown would have Thurs-Sat night shows.

And in the future, I see the COTA amphitheater being a good spot for touring shows, very similar to outdoor venues in San Antonio and Dallas. The advantages over the Erwin center are 1)No university rules, 2)No games to schedule around, 3)Less traffic/easier parking (eventually), and 4)Purpose built for music. Advantages over Zilker are: 1)Infrastructure/cost, 2)Size (don't need 70K capacity for most touring shows), 3)Parking, 4)No noise limitations.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 5:17 AM

Mystery document plagues F1 funding:

AG opinion leaves questions about race money

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...ues-f1-funding

Quote:
Mystery document plagues F1 funding
AG opinion leaves questions about race money

Josh Hinkle

AUSTIN (KXAN) - Continuing the legal saga over Formula 1, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott released an opinion Friday leaving more questions about whether the Grand Prix event should be able to receive state funding.

Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson requested the opinion, suggesting that organizers – the Circuit Events Local Organizing Committee - did not follow proper procedure when requesting money from the Major Events Trust Fund and that Comptroller Susan Combs allowed the alleged misstep to occur.

“Unless an application for an event as defined in the statute is submitted to a site selection organization, that is event is ineligible for METF funding,” Abbott wrote.

The race’s site selection committee is Formula One Management Limited, headed up by F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone. Included in CELOC and the City of Austin’s request for the state funding last month was a letter dated May 11, 2011, from Ecclestone.

“Formula One Management is confirming that we selected Austin, Texas as the location for the annual Formula 1 United States Grand Prix from 2012 to 2021, based on an application submitted to this office,” he wrote.

But Patterson said that application never surfaced. And Abbott’s opinion suggests, without it, solving this matter might be difficult.

“Whether such an application was actually submitted in this case is a matter of factual dispute that cannot be resolved through the opinion process,” he wrote.

“Somebody needs to produce an application, or the Comptroller cannot spend any METF money,” Patterson said.

The METF request does not include such an application from the site selection committee, and City Manager Marc Ott only references Ecclestone’s letter and assumed actions by the man who initiated Austin’s F1 endeavor – Tavo Hellmund.

“It is my understanding that Tavo Hellmund pursued this application to bring this event to the Austin area,” Ott wrote in the METF request. “We believe this supports a finding that Austin was selected as the sole site for this event through a highly competitive selection process…”

The statute says such an application must come from “a local organizing committee, endorsing municipality, or endorsing county” – in this case, CELOC or the City of Austin.

“While Combs’ brief to the Attorney General tried to suggest that an application was filed before the site-selection announcement, she neglected to note that it was Tavo Hellmund who filed the application with F1, not the City Council or Commissioners Court,” said former Travis County Judge and F1 watchdog Bill Aleshire.

Hellmund is no longer in the picture, and CELOC officials have not responded to messages left by KXAN regarding this matter.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 11:35 PM

BevoLJ, you make a lot of good points and I agree with your advice in your last paragraph of your article. May I add that a Pecan Street Festival where locals can sell souvenirs to the tourists might be a good idea too. It would be a great place for out of state / out of country folks to take home something authentically Austin and TX, and give our local artists another venue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin