HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:59 PM
Bailey Bailey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: HOUSTON
Posts: 290
Texas Triangle

To continue the theme of the other posts, for the non Texans- let me paint a picture of what is happening in the state.

Today, as of 2019, FIVE of the THIRTEEN most populated cities in the United States of America, the #1 economic superpower in the world, are located in Texas.

Not only are they located in Texas, they are located inside what is called the 'Texas Triangle'.

Those cities, of course, are:

Houston - 4
San Antonio- 7
Dallas- 9
Austin- 11
Ft. Worth- 13

Within that Texas Triangle, you will find TWO of the FIVE largest Metropolitan Areas in the United States. Those two, of course, are the Metroplex (Dallas + Ft. Worth) at #4 and the single city seat Metro of Houston at #5.

All of the projections that I hear, for the population of Texas in the year 2050, have Texas around the 50-55 million projection. The majority (90%+), will be located within the Texas Triangle.

What does that mean for the Texas cities....we shall see how it develops but, living in Houston, I can say the Inner loop & Uptown is going vertical at an alarming rate, and mass transit is increasing in Houston. I imagine the same is happening Dallas.

Austin, is going through an obvious growth spurt and surprisingly, I haven't seen the same happen to San Antonio but....IT WILL. It is a huge rising stock!

So, instead of thinking about the Houston and Metroplex passing the 3 in front of them, think about what WILL happen to the Texas Triangle.

Last edited by Bailey; Oct 25, 2019 at 9:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:07 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
To continue the theme of the other posts, for the non Texans- let me paint a picture of what is happening in the state.

Today, as of 2019, FIVE of the THIRTEEN most populated cities in the United States of America, the #1 economic superpower in the world, are located in Texas.

Not only are they located in Texas, they are located inside what is called the 'Texas Triangle'.

Those cities, of course, are:

Houston - 4
San Antonio- 7
Dallas- 9
Austin- 11
Ft. Worth- 13

Within that Texas Triangle, you will find TWO of the FIVE largest Metropolitan Areas in the United States. Those two, of course, are the Metroplex (Dallas + Ft. Worth) at #4 and the single city seat Metro of Houston at #5.

All of the projections that I hear, for the population of Texas in the year 2050, have Texas around the 50-55 million projection. The majority (90%+), will be located within the Texas Triangle.

What does that mean for the Texas cities....we shall see how it develops but, living in Houston, I can say the Inner loop & Uptown is going vertical at an alarming rate, and mass transit is increasing in Houston. I imagine the same is happening Dallas.

Austin, is going through an obvious growth spurt and surprisingly, I haven't seen the same happen to San Antonio but....IT WILL. It is a huge rising stock!

So, instead of thinking about the Houston at Metroplex passing the 3 in front of them, think about what WILL happen to the Texas Triangle.
... it will get denser?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:21 PM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 4,123
Texas will turn Blue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:25 PM
Bailey Bailey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: HOUSTON
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
... it will get denser?
I'm thinking Houston and Dallas will add millions and continue their rampage to becoming mega American Alpha cities. They will go vertical and urban in a way that will please most on this site.

Austin will still grow, but will take a step back to address the infrastructure problems associated with rapid growth.

San Antonio is the wild card....look for this city to boom..really boom..a la Austin. A booming San Antonio metro will just morph into a bigger Austin metro.

As for the rest, I expect to see much of the rest of the Texas Triangle to start to fill it at lesser density levels, but hopefully in a way to prevent the issues associated with sprawl.

Either way, the Triangle will continue to become one of the most important regions of the United States. It's even more apparent if you consider Houston's "influence" along the Gulf Coast and beyond.

Texas just isn't slowing down anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:32 PM
suburbanite's Avatar
suburbanite suburbanite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,776
I was in Texas for the first time this year and it was hotter than I ever imagined. I fear for the well-being of 50 million people living there during whatever a heat wave looks like in 2050.
__________________
Discontented suburbanite since 1994
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:45 PM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,996
This is interesting. A regional rail should be constructed ( if not already there) to connect all these cities to one another. Also something should be built to connect the Triangle to other cities that could benefit outside like El Paso, Amarillo, and Corpus Cristi.
__________________
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
-Aldous Huxley

Continue improving until the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:55 PM
Bailey Bailey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: HOUSTON
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I was in Texas for the first time this year and it was hotter than I ever imagined. I fear for the well-being of 50 million people living there during whatever a heat wave looks like in 2050.

True, it does get hot...but the heat here is less of an issue than the extreme cold in most places. We've learned to live around the heat...its the outsiders who aren't used to it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:33 PM
dimondpark's Avatar
dimondpark dimondpark is offline
Pay it Forward
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Piedmont, California
Posts: 6,966
Population growth rates are slowing everywhere in the US, including Texas.

This article in the Hill goes into detail...
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...sity-in-coming
__________________

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:36 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 704
One of the largest implications I see is that more effort should have been focused on building a major regional airport between Austin and San Antonio. There was talk around this, but Austin was eventually "gifted" Bergstrom AFB back in '91, paving the way for AUS (Austin Bergstrom International) and the rest is history.

Today, AUS is a first-class international airport, one that suits a thriving, rapidly growing city like Austin. Meanwhile, SAT (San Antonio International) recently expanded, and though the airport is growing and being renovated, it "feels" (and looks) like it belongs in a medium-sized city like Birmingham or Norfolk.

As the two cities experience continue to attract new residents and businesses, and as their suburbs push closer and closer towards each other, the metros will essentially connect, and a regional transportation center along the lines of DFW could serve as a foundation for greater economic prosperity across the region.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:46 PM
TexasPlaya's Avatar
TexasPlaya TexasPlaya is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ATX-HTOWN
Posts: 8,786
The border region has also boomed until recently, there are several million people there depending on what you count.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:54 PM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
Sacramento~City of Trees
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Urbs Indomita
Posts: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Meanwhile, SAT (San Antonio International) recently expanded, and though the airport is growing and being renovated, it "feels" (and looks) like it belongs in a medium-sized city like Birmingham or Norfolk. .
San Antonio’s airport feels and looks like a medium sized city because it is a medium sized city (or rather a mid sized market). I say that as somebody who lived and attended school there and loves San Antonio. But Airport authorities usually do not build facilities that the market can’t support because air carriers help bear the costs of airport construction. SAT has done a good job keeping up with growth without overreaching. In the end keeping costs under control will be much more attractive to lure future air service to other cities and grow passenger traffic.
__________________
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”~~Theodor Seuss Geisel
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:05 AM
bossabreezes bossabreezes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NYC/SP/RJ
Posts: 124
I was literally just thinking about this today.

I think Waco has some future potential to boom as well, as it's the midway point from Dallas to Austin.

Texas is impressive for it's giant metros. They have not developed in any kind of sustainable way (and in most cases are still not righting this wrong), but nonetheless, still impressive.

I have a feeling Dallas will continue it's roaring growth. I think Austin is going to stall, mainly due to it's insane price point for an inland, non coastal city. It's very expensive, and while the city has a strong job market, I don't see this pricetag as being sustainable long term. Either the metro will stop growing or the suburbs will sprawl very far out from the city to meet demand for lower cost housing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:52 AM
TexasPlaya's Avatar
TexasPlaya TexasPlaya is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ATX-HTOWN
Posts: 8,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
I was literally just thinking about this today.

I think Waco has some future potential to boom as well, as it's the midway point from Dallas to Austin.
There are a handful of mid tier cities that are growing handsomely due to a large university, the military, or recreation like Waco, San Marcos, Conroe, New Braunfels, College Station, Temple, and Canyon Lake. They are also well connected to the big 4 metros.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 1:44 AM
Bailey Bailey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: HOUSTON
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
This is interesting. A regional rail should be constructed ( if not already there) to connect all these cities to one another. Also something should be built to connect the Triangle to other cities that could benefit outside like El Paso, Amarillo, and Corpus Cristi.
A privately funded bullet train is currently being planned. It will connect Houston and Dallas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:42 AM
Dariusb Dariusb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 416
I wouldn't be surprised if the cities along the Interstate 35corridor(D/FW, Waco, Killen/Temple, Austin, San Antonio) all grow into each other or very close to doing so by 2050. I also think that the Texas Triangle will attract not just people out of state like it has been but other slower growing parts of the state will probably lose population to the Triangle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:51 AM
BG918's Avatar
BG918 BG918 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the cities along the Interstate 35corridor(D/FW, Waco, Killen/Temple, Austin, San Antonio) all grow into each other or very close to doing so by 2050. I also think that the Texas Triangle will attract not just people out of state like it has been but other slower growing parts of the state will probably lose population to the Triangle.
It will be interesting to see what type of spillover growth occurs further north into Oklahoma along the 35/75 corridors.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:53 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I was in Texas for the first time this year and it was hotter than I ever imagined. I fear for the well-being of 50 million people living there during whatever a heat wave looks like in 2050.
Yep, it's hot (and getting hotter) from June-September, and in some years you can add May and October. This October has been horrendously hot, although it's fairly cold for now and northwest TX had about 6 inches of snow yesterday.

People complain about the hot summers, but about half the year (and sometimes more) is mild to cool, and cold at times. But generally very pleasant except for some extended rainy periods. Don't forget, too, that northwest and west TX can have blizzards, although usually short lived and followed by nice weather.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:07 AM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,565
I said this in another thread but the explosive boom of the past is largely in the past for Texas. We are ageing and birthrates are declining across the board. We are still growing at a steady pace but the growth is stabilizing and the population is maturing; Houston for example is less and less of a transient city. People come here with intent of staying, not merely passing through. And the rest of the country is healthier economically to offer transplants more options. Houston at 7 million is more than enough but I'm sure we will hit 10 million (ugh) at some point but it will take longer to get there...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 5:25 AM
Dariusb Dariusb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
It will be interesting to see what type of spillover growth occurs further north into Oklahoma along the 35/75 corridors.

Very interesting.. Since Dallas's suburbs are growing north along Central Expressway (75) towards Oklahoma and parts of 75 are being upgraded to interstate standards, I wonder will that corridor one day become part of the interstate system?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 5:51 AM
ThePhun1 ThePhun1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston/Galveston
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
San Antonio’s airport feels and looks like a medium sized city because it is a medium sized city (or rather a mid sized market). I say that as somebody who lived and attended school there and loves San Antonio. But Airport authorities usually do not build facilities that the market can’t support because air carriers help bear the costs of airport construction. SAT has done a good job keeping up with growth without overreaching. In the end keeping costs under control will be much more attractive to lure future air service to other cities and grow passenger traffic.
San Antonio has a bigger population but Austin has more movers and shakers (government or otherwise) and a richer, more educated workforce per capita. That essentially makes them equals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:37 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.