HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:05 PM
SFBruin SFBruin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 296
Houston looks pretty economically invincible to me.
__________________
I don't read. I apologize in advance.
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:21 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,628
Doesn't it still get hit hard when the oil industry isn't doing well?
Obviously its not the only game in town, but many Houstonians seem to freak out by incoming layoffs on other social media sites when shit hits the fan.
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:24 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Doesn't it still get hit hard when the oil industry isn't doing well?
Obviously its not the only game in town, but many Houstonians seem to freak out by incoming layoffs on other social media sites when shit hits the fan.
Spoken like an "informed" West Coaster.

Because yeah, let's source "social media sites" for factually accurate information!
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:33 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,628
Oh no. It's the "informed" guy.

Actually, it takes a quick google search of "Oil Layoffs Houston" to see tons of articles about it. And guess what? They're not 20 years old, either. There's too many to paste,
so I won't even bother posting them all.

I just remember alot of people in Houston freaking out when they come on social media. But to you, IT NEVER HAPPENED. CAUSE. TEXAS. That good ole' Texas pride.
It's a perfect place that everyone loves.

Last edited by LA21st; Oct 24, 2019 at 10:45 PM.
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:43 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,748
Oil industry is always like that, when prices are high production spikes and hiring skyrockets, overproduction drives prices down and layoffs follow.

Its been like that for decades.

Its also not universal, certain methods of extraction and refining are only profitable at certain oil prices. As the price point changes some oil jobs just cease to make economic sense even while other oil jobs are on a boom.

But in General Houston is far from dependent on oil these days, its still a major shipping port major population center and regional financial and business center its economy is not fragile
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:47 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,628
Probably, but glancing through some of those articles, its not a small thing either. Otherwise, it wouldn't be all over the media.

And like I said, people freak the hell out over there.
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:53 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Probably, but glancing through some of those articles, its not a small thing either. Otherwise, it wouldn't be all over the media.

And like I said, people freak the hell out over there.
The current trend in Oil is efficiency and fracking and less off shore.

Fracking is continually becoming cheaper and more efficient meaning less workers and the traditional off shore and oil Derek systems are slowly phasing out as oil looks to stay put around its current price for the USA for some time.


This wont change unless say, Saudi Arabia/Iran actually go at it or Russia decides to cut off oil sales to Europe. If that happens then the price skyrockets and those types of oil production will once again come back into use en mass as the demand for oil internationally has to be replaced by the USA.

Ironically the best thing that could happen for Texas and N. American Oil from New Orleans to Edmonton would be for the Saudi's and Iran to make Hormuz and the Gulf a no-go war zone.
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:55 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
But in General Houston is far from dependent on oil these days, its still a major shipping port major population center and regional financial and business center its economy is not fragile
Shhhhhhh...don't tell that to the Californians still bitter and in denial that millions of their fellow (now former) residents, corporate headquarters and media attention are now focused on being there.
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:04 PM
ThePhun1 ThePhun1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston/Galveston
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Oil industry is always like that, when prices are high production spikes and hiring skyrockets, overproduction drives prices down and layoffs follow.

Its been like that for decades.

Its also not universal, certain methods of extraction and refining are only profitable at certain oil prices. As the price point changes some oil jobs just cease to make economic sense even while other oil jobs are on a boom.

But in General Houston is far from dependent on oil these days, its still a major shipping port major population center and regional financial and business center its economy is not fragile
General Houston? What about Sam Houston.
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:09 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Shhhhhhh...don't tell that to the Californians still bitter and in denial that millions of their fellow (now former) residents, corporate headquarters and media attention are now focused on being there.

What media attention?
Are you gonna post articles from 10 years ago from outlets nobody reads?
One guy's opinion, who confirmed what I already said?
Are you going to talk about Houston's restaurant scene is the 2nd best again with nothing to back it up?

Your Texas pride is annoying and incredibly stupid. Californians who leave for other states (inlcuding Texas) are being priced out. I guess you don't understand what that means.
It's not a bad thing. Can you imagine if California was as affordable as Texas???It would have 60 million people by now. The traffic would be insane.

We're still waiting for you to "inform" on us on something. Anything.

Last edited by LA21st; Oct 24, 2019 at 11:29 PM.
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:32 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
What media attention?
Are you gonna post articles from 10 years ago from outlets nobody reads?
One guy's opinion, who confirmed what I already said?
Are you going to talk about Houston's restaurant scene is the 2nd best again with nothing to back it up?

Your Texas pride is annoying and incredibly stupid. Californians who leave for other states (inlcuding Texas) are being priced out. I guess you don't understand what that means.
It's not a bad thing. Can you imagine if California was as affordable as Texas???It would have 60 million people by now. The traffic would be insane.

We're still waiting for you to "inform" on us on something. Anything.
If you are trying to brag that the current economic situation in California is good that is incredibly foolish.

A state where the extremely wealthy live in utopia surrounded by masses of helpless poor while middle incomes flee to other locations is not a good nor sustainable system.

"People being priced out" in mass is incredibly destabilizing, no to mention there are a number of oddities about California that put the state in a precarious position. For example, a big reason California gas prices are 4.50 a gallon while pretty much the rest of the country enjoys $2-3. (its because you get most of your oil from the Middle East still) A spike in oil prices will hit California in a way as to cause a crisis like the 1970's I dont even want to know what would happen if the mythical "big one" earthquake ever does hit.

etc. etc.
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:39 PM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,989
For those who want to discuss the Texas cities even more, I made another thread for you guys.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...19#post8728519
__________________
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
-Aldous Huxley

Continue improving until the end.
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:41 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,628
Not bragging, just saying something very realistic.
Most people think TONS of people get priced out California, no?

So if California suddenly became as affordable as other states, it wouldn't benefit from a massive population gain?

It won't happen, but in that scenario, it surely would. To say otherwise is moronic.
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:43 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
If you are trying to brag that the current economic situation in California is good that is incredibly foolish.
There’s no “if” or “trying” about it. That’s EXACTLY what he’s doing.

And “incredibly” is an understatement. 😂😂😂 😁😁😁
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:46 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
One guy's opinion
"One guy", huh?

More like everyone on this thread except YOU, anyone who DOESN'T live in California, or anyone with HALF a brain?
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:49 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
So if California suddenly became as affordable as other states
EARTH TO LA21st: this will never, ever happen, but keep dreaming - CAUSE CALIFORNIA, amirite?
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 12:02 AM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
"One guy", huh?

More like everyone on this thread except YOU, anyone who DOESN'T live in California, or anyone with HALF a brain?
You don't even remember what you post or say. Mental problems?

I referenced you posting a Time Magazine article, who had one guy's opinion. And that one guy confirmed what I already said. People are moving to Texas for COL, which you took offense to, because good ole' insecure Texas pride.
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 12:05 AM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
EARTH TO LA21st: this will never, ever happen, but keep dreaming - CAUSE CALIFORNIA, amirite?
I already said it would never happen, you idiot.
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 12:07 AM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,466
Thread closed due to monumental amounts of unrelenting stupidity.
__________________
He has to go.
     
     
End
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.