HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4981  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 6:18 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,354
I would love to attend this screening if I were in the city (I'm in the midwest).
I hope it's a great evening for everyone involved.

________


below: I tried to find this same view as it looks today on google street views to no avail.
Is it correct to say that this area was pretty much wiped out for the Harbor Freeway?


http://www.lapl.org/

________

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4982  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 12:16 AM
Horthos's Avatar
Horthos Horthos is offline
Last exit for the lost...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I would love to attend this screening if I were in the city (I'm in the midwest).
I hope it's a great evening for everyone involved.

________


below: I tried to find this same view as it looks today on google street views to no avail.
Is it correct to say that this area was pretty much wiped out for the Harbor Freeway?


http://www.lapl.org/

________


I dont recognize any of that, so Im pretty sure most of its been replaced by the freeway.

While out for a walk this morning, I came across this interesting scene on the corner of 6th and s. saint andrews pl.


Photo by meee....

I have no idea how long this has been like this. Does anyone know anything about what may have happened here? Im assuming a fire...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4983  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 1:40 PM
gsjansen's Avatar
gsjansen gsjansen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I would love to attend this screening if I were in the city (I'm in the midwest).
I hope it's a great evening for everyone involved.

________


below: I tried to find this same view as it looks today on google street views to no avail.
Is it correct to say that this area was pretty much wiped out for the Harbor Freeway?


http://www.lapl.org/
________
yeah, pretty much everything on 8th between bixel and francisco has been obliterated by either the harbor, or just plain ol' development.

at the lower right in this 1955 aerial you can see the tall building at the intersection of francisco and 8th


Source: LAPL

In this 1982 image taken from 8th and bixel looking east, (almost from the same vanatge point), you can see everything is purty much gone


Source: LAPL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4984  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 2:07 PM
gsjansen's Avatar
gsjansen gsjansen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 684
some image from life magazine i don't recall seeing before.......(but i could be wrong)


4th and main 1948


Source: Life Magazine

5th and hill 1948


Source: Life Magazine


not quite sure of this exact location, but i'm pretty sure it's looking south on Figueroa, somewhere in the vicinity of temple or so 1948


Source: Life Magazine

construction begins on the 4 level interchange between the harbor, hollywood and arroyo seco and santa ana 1949


Source: Life Magazine

and last but not least!

hollywood boulevard 1951..................wow!


Source: Life Magazine
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4985  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 2:18 PM
gsjansen's Avatar
gsjansen gsjansen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 684
one more!

noir in color...............................



Source: Life Magazine
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4986  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 2:27 PM
gsjansen's Avatar
gsjansen gsjansen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 684
arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh! for what could have been some of the most amazing photographs ever taken of bunker hill just prior to it's destruction. we end up with these fat headed lawmen blocking the view!

Hey parker and friends, move yourselves out of the frame fercrissakes!!!!!!!! you guys are supposed to stop crime....not commit one!!!!!!!!!

1960


Source: Life Magazine


Source: Life Magazine


Source: Life Magazine



sigh................there's never one around when you need em.............
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4987  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 3:39 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh! for what could have been some of the most amazing photographs ever taken of bunker hill just prior to it's destruction. we end up with these fat headed lawmen blocking the view!

Hey parker and friends, move yourselves out of the frame fercrissakes!!!!!!!! you guys are supposed to stop crime....not commit one!!!!!!!!!


Those are some mean lookin' men--sometimes I'm reminded of the reactionary bent of L.A. politics.... I don't think I would have liked to have been me in that era, as much as I'm fascinated with it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4988  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 3:55 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horthos View Post
I dont recognize any of that, so Im pretty sure most of its been replaced by the freeway.

While out for a walk this morning, I came across this interesting scene on the corner of 6th and s. saint andrews pl.


Photo by meee....

I have no idea how long this has been like this. Does anyone know anything about what may have happened here? Im assuming a fire...
I remember riding my bike down Wilshire about 5 months ago and I saw this building on fire. You'd think that it would've been repaired by now. Guess not. :\
__________________
Washed Out
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4989  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 11:12 AM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horthos View Post
So I checked out that bit of the sidewalk on broadway tonight. I am not sure what the building is as far as what it was historically, but now its just some typical greasy broadway shops, and the rest of the building seems empty.


Image from Google Earth
718-720 S Broadway was at one time known as the Wiley B. Allen Building-- W B Allen was a major West Coast music dealer. (All those random earthquake plates don't inspire much confidence....) Although I haven't found any vintage shots to confirm it, this distinctive sidewalk was apparently at the entrance to the company's retail store at this location, which must have succeeded an earlier store at 416-418 S Broadway:

Silent Locations
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4990  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 7:39 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,454


Thought maybe this Noirish Los Angeles milestone should be acknowledged...




Kudos to Our Esteemed Founder, ethereal_reality
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4991  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 7:47 PM
so-cal-bear so-cal-bear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 118
.

Last edited by so-cal-bear; Aug 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4992  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 10:59 PM
Handsome Stranger's Avatar
Handsome Stranger Handsome Stranger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 344
A pair of autochromes showing Charlie Chaplin standing outside his studio on La Brea Avenue, circa 1917-1918.


[source: George Eastman House Still Photograph Archive]


[source: George Eastman House Still Photograph Archive]

And the same spot in October 2011. The steps and doorway still exist but the door is non-functional.


[source: me]


[source: me]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4993  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 11:10 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,354
Great stuff handsome stranger!

_______


I came across this photo in the Metro Transportation Archive.



http://www.flickr.com/photos/metroli...ve/2951000582/

It is the remains of the Forthmann & Bergin Building on First Street that housed the Los Angeles Soap Company (shown in 1884).


usc digital archives

I was delighted at the thought of the grand old building surviving against all odds.
Sadly, after a few searches on google street views of east First Street I realized the Forthmann & Bergin Building is probably long gone
......and that the Metro photo must date from the 1970s or 80s.

Can anyone pinpoint on an old map where did this building once stood? I only have the vague address of east First Street.

We covered the building briefly way back on page 96 of this thread.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1907

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 18, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4994  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 11:38 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,354
The Alexandria Apartments at 635 North Kenmore lost out to the Hollywood Freeway. That's Deanna Durbin and Judy Garland standing out front.



lapl

Oh....and I'm kidding about Deanna Durbin and Judy Garland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4995  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:56 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 4,025

Haha I nearly spit out my drink as I read that!
__________________
"If the climate were a bank, the U.S. would have already saved it."

---Hugo Chávez
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4996  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 1:37 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 4,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

_______


I came across this photo in the Metro Transportation Archive.



http://www.flickr.com/photos/metroli...ve/2951000582/

It is the remains of the Forthmann & Bergin Building on First Street that housed the Los Angeles Soap Company (shown in 1884).


usc digital archives

I was delighted at the thought of the grand old building surviving against all odds.
Sadly, after a few searches on google street views of east First Street I realized the Forthmann & Bergin Building is probably long gone
......and that the Metro photo must date from the 1970s or 80s.

Can anyone pinpoint on an old map where did this building once stood? I only have the vague address of east First Street.

We covered the building briefly way back on page 96 of this thread.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1907
I think it was on the north side of 1st street, a block or so east of Alameda, in what would now be considered the Arts District, just east of Little Tokyo. This area is now surface parking lots, and the Nishi Hongwanji Buddhist Temple is now there. If you do a Google Map search of E. 1st Street and Hewitt Avenue, you'll see the general area of where the soap company was: 1st and Hewitt

So was the Los Angeles Soap Company later White King Soap?

Here is the area in 1923. Notice in the lower middle-right, you can see the Los Angeles Soap Company.

LAPL

Here is the area circa 1950s. Notice in the middle right that the building says White King Soap.

LAPL

I'm very fascinated by the above photos because I frequent Little Tokyo and the Arts District, and it's interesting to me to see what buildings were there.

In fact looking at the above photo now, the old building that you posted, ethereal, is just right (east) of the intersection of Hewitt and 1st.
__________________
"If the climate were a bank, the U.S. would have already saved it."

---Hugo Chávez

Last edited by sopas ej; Oct 19, 2011 at 1:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4997  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 1:49 AM
Fab Fifties Fan Fab Fifties Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 288
Bi%$ch Fight!!!!

and Grandma goes in for the money shot!!!


Acme Press Wire Photo/e-Bay

During the 1941 Ladies Dress & Sportswear union strike, union and non-union workers clash outside of the Pig 'n Whistle at 8th and Broadway.

The men seem to be enjoying it, of course.

~Jon Paul
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4998  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:32 AM
Fab Fifties Fan Fab Fifties Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 288
Early 1900's postcard currently on e-bay...

The Emerson Apartments 5857 Franklin Ave.



Somehwere under Hollywood United Methodist Church is the plot of land they sat on.

Google Streetview

~Jon Paul
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4999  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:49 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
So was the Los Angeles Soap Company later White King Soap?

Here is the area in 1923. Notice in the lower middle-right, you can see the Los Angeles Soap Company.

LAPL

Here is the area circa 1950s. Notice in the middle right that the building says White King Soap.

LAPL
Thanks for the info. sopas_ej.

After a little more research, I found out that the Los Angeles Soap Company Plant was located at 617 E. 1st Street.
It covered 40 acres and had upwards of 600 employees. More than 75 brands of soap were manufactured at this one plant.

below: A couple photos of the plant. "The Home of White King Soap" is written along the cornice.


lapl



usc digital archive



Scott Fajack http://www.laobserved.com/assets_c/2...ajack-7034.php


I'm guessing 'White King' must have been their best selling soap.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5000  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:30 AM
Fab Fifties Fan Fab Fifties Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 288
and speaking of....

the original

eBay

then in the 60's "White King D"!!!!

eBay

~Jon Paul

Last edited by Fab Fifties Fan; Oct 19, 2011 at 6:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:27 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.