HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:00 PM

When are tenants supposed to start moving in?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:13 PM

A Tribune article from April reported that the first tenants would begin moving in by September. So, unless there have been unpublished delays, any minute now?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:25 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ld-post-office

September 17, 2019 10:33 AM UPDATED 23 MINUTES AGO

Cboe confirms HQ move to Old Post Office
The parent company of the Chicago Board Options Exchange also is moving its trading floor to the CBOT Building.

CRAIN'S STAFF

Quote:
Cboe Global Markets announced today it will move its headquarters to the Old Post Office and move its trading floor to the CBOT Building.

The company said it signed a 15-year lease, with an option for a five-year renewal, for about 185,000 square feet in the Old Post Office building at 433 W. Van Buren St. Crain's had previously reported that a deal to move the HQ to the Old Post Office was close.

Cboe also said it would move its trading floor to the CBOT Building at 141 W. Jackson, signing a 12-year lease there for about 40,000 square feet of office and trading floor space. The company said it plans to sell its current building, 400 S. LaSalle St.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:12 PM

9/23

The tour stated that 2.0 million square feet was either leased or in discussions. This is out of the 2.3 million total. I’m not sure if this matches what’s been officially announced.

Two tenants are moving in on October 1st.

Main lobby for tenants

One of Uber’s two floors. This floor plate is 4x bigger when looking the other direction (to the left in this picture).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:09 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
They need all that space to store their worthless stock certificates.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:10 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post

Wow, stunning. It's like our very own Reichs Chancellery.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
They need all that space to store their worthless stock certificates.
Not to mention the piles of money that they're raking in by abusing the drivers.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Wow, stunning. It's like our very own Reichs Chancellery.
Kind of, but this was built back in the days when things like Post Offices were built to impress - along with other government projects like Hoover Dam - who would ever image something as utilitarian as a dam with terrazzo floors, amazing metal work etc.

My favorite example is the old post office in Singapore - built in the British colonial era, it screams "we're Britain, and you're not." Now a hotel, it is still awesome.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
My favorite example is the old post office in Singapore - built in the British colonial era, it screams "we're Britain, and you're not." Now a hotel, it is still awesome.
^ Funny you don't notice the irony of saying this, yet also pointing out the below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
Not to mention the piles of money that they're raking in by abusing the drivers.
Do ya think the British just created their wealth out of thin air? I think a lot of people got "abused" (more like murdered...cough cough) in order to plunder the wealth to build these so-called great "we are British" buildings

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:21 PM

Heck even the Post Office in Uptown was built in the middle of WW2, has huge carved granite eagles in front of the building, and huge murals painted inside.

It just goes back to the culture at that time, that people and buildings should "dress to impress" while in public.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

and by the '70s the USPS was building shit-burgers like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9686...7i16384!8i8192

once upon a time they actually gave a shit: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0471...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and by the '70s the USPS was building shit-burgers like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9686...7i16384!8i8192

once upon a time they actually gave a shit: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0471...7i16384!8i8192
Did the USPS actually build that turd or just move in. Take away the sign and it could be any of a million doctor's offices or insurance agencies in the US.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^they built it after they moved out of the old lincoln square post office that was subsequently demolished.

and the site of the old post office in lincoln square is now a strip mall!!!

man, the '70s were just so chock-full of good ideas and decisions.

the original lincoln square post office:

source: https://forgottenchicago.com/articles/pony-express/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:02 PM

Uggg, yea I hate that Lincoln Square post office from the 70's. And the one that demolished was so nice for a ugly strip mall, what a travesty. I prefer going to the Uptown Post Office now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:03 AM

Was surfing the internet and found a blog talking about 5 CTA stations that badly need renovations. To no surprise, Clinton Blue Line was one of them. Fortunately, as a part of the Forest Park renovation they plan to build an entrance in front of the Post Office

https://www.metroblog.us/2019/09/5-c...e-need-of.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:13 AM

Cool find rg34

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Was surfing the internet and found a blog talking about 5 CTA stations that badly need renovations. To no surprise, Clinton Blue Line was one of them. Fortunately, as a part of the Forest Park renovation they plan to build an entrance in front of the Post Office

https://www.metroblog.us/2019/09/5-c...e-need-of.html
The linked article also mentions the LaSalle Clinton stop. This is a disaster of a stop. Another one with a long platform leading nowhere, and no access from the street that doesn't involve stairs - 26 of them, I've counted. It is described as often desolate, but I don't know what the author is talking about. As more and more housing units come online is serves as a primary stop for Sloopers coming and going from ORD. Bury prime time it's very busy and during off hours it seems busier that those desolated stations the train passes through further north. It isn't traveler friendly - not only are the steps daunting, but the turnstiles are too narrow for a standard suitcase so you need to do the "get the attendant to open the gate, shove your bag through and then go through the turnstile before retrieving it." routine. With all those units opening on Wells, it would seem a prime place to add an exit from the West side of the platform, but I have no idea how they'd fit it in.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 6:09 PM

Steely Dan,

I can see at least an attempt at architectural language and interesting geometries in that post office design, even if it fails to create a memorable presence or convey civic power. This thing across the street though is a complete abomination of architecture and urban planning:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9685...7i16384!8i8192

Like, who comes up with this trash?

The post office is a beautiful expression of function, careful proportion, and limited ornament where it can really make a statement in a way that most contemporary buildings just don't seem to be able to muster up.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Steely Dan,

I can see at least an attempt at architectural language and interesting geometries in that post office design, even if it fails to create a memorable presence or convey civic power. This thing across the street though is a complete abomination of architecture and urban planning:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9685...7i16384!8i8192

Like, who comes up with this trash?

The post office is a beautiful expression of function, careful proportion, and limited ornament where it can really make a statement in a way that most contemporary buildings just don't seem to be able to muster up.
That whole section of Lawrence is terrible. Except HarvestTime of course. It's the best grocery! Oh and Hellenic Bakery and Goosefoot

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:00 PM

With all the news of move-ins, etc. I was reminded of the piece of property West of Canal and North of Harrison. This is the Holiday Inn, the sad little shopping strip on Harrison and the Parking lot.

There was speculation awhile back that at least the Holiday Inn was for sale. Is there any news?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development