HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 12:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm not a New Yorker, so forgive my ignorance, but I've always wondered what exactly these were, these striped pipes with the sawhorses beside them in the middle of the street that spew steam--- so what are they?
They are an important part of the New York City infrastructure, but here's a quick answer:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/New-York-...team-Pipes.htm

Quote:
Some 30 billion pounds of steam every year flow beneath the streets of Manhattan from the Battery to 96th Street. While it is unknown to most New Yorkers, Con Edison's subterranean steam system is the biggest steam district in the world. There are 7 plants in NYC -- five in Manhattan and one each in Queens and Brooklyn. On a cold winter day, nearly 10 million pounds of steam at 350 degrees Fahrenheit flow each hour through 105 miles of underground mains. Steam is efficient and cost effective for high-rise buildings and most of it is used for heating and cooling.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos