HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 9:44 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I do not agree. There are plenty of appropriate spots for single family homes, even nearby. But not this. It's not the end of the world, but I don't think there should be any single family homes on Broad this close to the Lombard/South stop of the Broad Street line. And there is no retail or restaurant use obviously. And now one is foreclosed.

These kind of projects -- that forever close the door to retail and restaurant uses on a major artery -- make it harder to pull some of Center City's energy south. That's the goal of Friends of Avenue of the Arts and what we're trying to do all the way down to Washington.
Well, I don't think we are at a tipping point of running out of lots for higher density and if there's demand for these mcMansions on Broad, so be it. And, I don't think the idea is to overcrowd Broad St with them. It's zoned for higher density, no? Also, not so sure how much infinite retail and restaurants can be had without over-saturation or lack of quality. When we think about retail or restaurant, we seem to think that if something goes in there, it will be an overnight success. But contrary to that, both retail and the restaurant industry is a tough business in light of the ever changing dynamic of retailing and restaurants by virtue have a low success rate per its industry group's reporting. Paying big rent and taking all these risks is not a game for people who invest in them, but for us outsiders we think retail and restaurants in a utopian place where it will be successful if space is offered for it to be there.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Well, I don't think we are at a tipping point of running out of lots for higher density and if there's demand for these mcMansions on Broad, so be it. And, I don't think the idea is to overcrowd Broad St with them. It's zoned for higher density, no? Also, not so sure how much infinite retail and restaurants can be had without over-saturation or lack of quality. When we think about retail or restaurant, we seem to think that if something goes in there, it will be an overnight success. But contrary to that, both retail and the restaurant industry is a tough business in light of the ever changing dynamic of retailing and restaurants by virtue have a low success rate per its industry group's reporting. Paying big rent and taking all these risks is not a game for people who invest in them, but for us outsiders we think retail and restaurants in a utopian place where it will be successful if space is offered for it to be there.
A key reason they are built over higher density housing on a street like this is excessive parking minimums, and it's a damn shame. Nothing's a guaranteed or overnight success. But if you're bringing adequate population to an underserved area, good retail/commercial/restaurants can be introduced and succeed.The first tenant may not succeed. Just how it goes. Eventually something clicks, sometimes immediately. Sometimes it takes a few tries.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 10:38 PM
Philly Rising Up!

"A key reason they are built over higher density housing on a street like this is excessive parking minimums, and it's a damn shame."

I agree with the above wholeheartedly.

And, if the model is to have higher density to bring in more people, you need to bring in people that have lots of discretionary income to spend on retail and restaurants. And you need to have well paying jobs in the city to draw people in to live in these highrises with ground retail/restaurants. Time will tell if Broad St. CMX3 to CMX5 new projects will be a success. I hope it will be.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
"A key reason they are built over higher density housing on a street like this is excessive parking minimums, and it's a damn shame."

I agree with the above wholeheartedly.

And, if the model is to have higher density to bring in more people, you need to bring in people that have lots of discretionary income to spend on retail and restaurants. And you need to have well paying jobs in the city to draw people in to live in these highrises with ground retail/restaurants. Time will tell if Broad St. CMX3 to CMX5 new projects will be a success. I hope it will be.
Same.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:51 AM

So, the Ritz Bourse is closing. Maybe we'll see the massive garage on Ranstead where it sits get developed! Anyone hear about a planned closure for it? The owner of the theater is Charles Cohen. Not only does Cohen own an independent film company, but he also is a billionaire real estate developer who often turns his theater sites into much larger mixed used projects, whether alone or through development partnerships. https://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/n..._3nLcuJ0Yx4KB0 I hadn't realized he owned this theater till today. He bought Landmark from Mark Cuban at the end of December 2018, and through that, he owns ALL the Ritz theaters in Philly. https://www.inquirer.com/entertainme...uh86zTr4CoEJqY Hell, maybe we'll see the old Scannapieco site on the 200 block of Walnut developed into something yet!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 1:14 PM

2100 Hamilton (Sunday):

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
So, the Ritz Bourse is closing. Maybe we'll see the massive garage on Ranstead where it sits get developed! Anyone hear about a planned closure for it? The owner of the theater is Charles Cohen. Not only does Cohen own an independent film company, but he also is a billionaire real estate developer who often turns his theater sites into much larger mixed used projects, whether alone or through development partnerships. https://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/n..._3nLcuJ0Yx4KB0 I hadn't realized he owned this theater till today. He bought Landmark from Mark Cuban at the end of December 2018, and through that, he owns ALL the Ritz theaters in Philly. https://www.inquirer.com/entertainme...uh86zTr4CoEJqY Hell, maybe we'll see the old Scannapieco site on the 200 block of Walnut developed into something yet!
Am I the only one who is really bummed at the idea of the Ritz closing theaters?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:33 PM

1/21, near J and Tioga:

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 6:41 PM

Really curious what their plans will be.

Exclusive: Philadelphia refinery expected to be sold to real estate developer - sources

Quote:
The bankrupt Philadelphia Energy Solutions is expected to sell its fire-damaged refinery site to real estate developer Hilco Redevelopment Partners, three sources familiar with the situation said on Tuesday.

The agreement between PES and Hilco, a Chicago-based developer, is expected to be announced later on Tuesday. PES and Hilco did not immediately respond to requests for comment. A city official declined to comment.

The sale reduces the possibility that the more-than 1,300-acre (526-hectare) Philadelphia site would be resurrected as an oil refinery, but it is possible that Hilco could lease it to a refinery, biofuels or other heavy industrial operation, the sources said.

The 335,000 barrel-per-day refinery is the largest and oldest on the U.S. East Coast, but was shut after a fire and series of explosions on June 21 last year that destroyed a key processing unit.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 6:44 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Seems like a great choice. That's their specialty due to experience.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 7:16 PM

I think the site is too contaminated for residential use but its access to the airport, Phila Port, rail, and highway and the city's central location in the Northeast could make it a major warehouse/distribution center.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 7:18 PM

These guys buying the refinery is the best possible scenario for Philly. They're doing great in Baltimore.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 7:23 PM

I agree that an industrial use is most likely. Hopefully something designed and landscaped to improve the appearance of the area, with waterfront recreational access.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:06 PM

As of 1/17, a new construction permit was issued for the parking lot at the NW corner of Broad and Spring Garden:

Quote:
FOR THE DEMOLITION OF ALL STRUCTURES ON THE LOT FOR THE ERECTION OF A DETACHED STRUCTURE ( 98. 6 FEET HIGH);FOR COMMERCIAL USES AS PERMITTED IN THE NORTH BROAD ST OVERLAY ON THE FIRST FLOOR, FOR BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL OFFICES ON THE SECOND FLOOR, FOR MULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING ( 402 DWELLING UNITS) FROM THIRD FLOOR THROUGH SEVENTH ( 7TH ) FLOORS WITH ACCESSORY PARKING BELOW GRADE WITH TWO HUNDRED EIGHTY EIGHT (288) ACCESSORY PARKING SPACES INCLUDING SEVEN((7) ACCESSIBLE SPACES INCLUDING TWO(2) VAN ACCESSIABLE SPACE INCULDING SIXTY EIGHT (68) COMPACT SPACES, INCLUDING FIFTEEN (15) ELECTRIC SPACES WITH SEVEN(7) RESERVOIR SPACES AND WITH ONE HUNDRED TWENTY FOUR (124) BICYCLE SPACES ON AN ACCESSIBLE ROUTE AT FIRST FLOOR AND TWO(2) INTERIOR LOADING SPACES.
That's a LOT of parking for a building that essentially sits atop a local/express BSL stop!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:24 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Although at least as far as the Ritz at the Bourse is concerned, I would have thought they're merely a tenant of the garage. Or maybe not. I see in atlas for 400 Ranstead St there was a deed item in 2007 involving Landmark Theaters; maybe it's a commercial condo unit. EDIT: Apparently, at least in 1989, Ritz was leasing their space, per a lease included in the zoning archive file.

https://atlas.phila.gov/#/400%20RANSTEAD%20ST/deeds

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/219-299915.pdf

Last edited by Jayfar; Jan 22, 2020 at 5:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:07 AM
Philly Pholly

Saw this posted.
2101 Washington Avenue -The Chocolate Factory lot

2101 Washington Avenue

2101 Washington Avenue 2

https://mailchi.mp/19ce952d000c/2401...LuzBcVyEFmF3cA

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:29 AM

Wow that actually looks great! Still would have preferred the original factory, but it has a good traditional-esque look

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:24 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Saw this posted.
2101 Washington Avenue -The Chocolate Factory lot

2101 Washington Avenue

2101 Washington Avenue 2

https://mailchi.mp/19ce952d000c/2401...LuzBcVyEFmF3cA
Handsome! Reminds me of the re-build in Old City of the Shirt Corner's Men Shop.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:07 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Here are more renderings of the 2101 Washington development-- there is a SOSNA Zoning Meeting meeting about this tonight at 6:30pm at Shiloh Baptist Church - 2040 Christian St. If you live in Grad Hospital you are eligible to vote, but if you don't live in that area and want to come in support of the project, you can do that too.

If you're wondering about the townhomes in the back, the first 20 foundations have been poured and the first 10 homes framed. Pre-sales on the homes have exceeded expectations!

Last edited by Aaamazarite; Jan 22, 2020 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Am I the only one who is really bummed at the idea of the Ritz closing theaters?
Nope, I'm with you. I would have guessed this would be the last one standing due to the size of the garage. The Inquirer did suggest (no evidence) the possibility of Netflix Or Amazon taking over to screen their films which I think would be better than losing it completely.

We sorely need more theaters. With all the multi-use developments going up I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen a "high-end" art house as part of one. I know it already has a grocery, but *ahem* broad and washington is a huge lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development