HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 9:30 PM

Freed From Bondage - The Panorama, 1321 Mission at 9th St.

As many of you already know the dock workers strike has held hostage ships and containers for several months. According to the San Francisco Chronicle the outside siding of the Panorama was on a ship off of the coast of Ensenada, Mexico for several months costing the developer a lot of money. I'm glad today to see the siding being installed. I was tired of looking at the green vapor/insulation barrier.

1321 Mission Street (@9thSt.)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
man, blows me away that we can absorb so many people every year with such negligible residential construction.
We definitely need more contruction. This is not a San Francisco issue either. IDK why there is such a lack of units. Construction is moving at at a fast rate in American terms, but the game has changed. Now it needs to go on overdrive. For SF, NY, Miami and so on.

I have been hearing about advocacy groups pushing for higher density and more construction in SF, and I hope it accelerates and that their efforts succeed. They also need to get rid of prop-M.

The census results don't surprise me. SF is booming and its a great model of what many other cities should strive to be!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
As many of you already know the dock workers strike has held hostage ships and containers for several months. According to the San Francisco Chronicle the outside siding of the Panorama was on a ship off of the coast of Ensenada, Mexico for several months costing the developer a lot of money. I'm glad today to see the siding being installed. I was tired of looking at the green vapor/insulation barrier.

1321 Mission Street (@9thSt.)
And it's going up fast! Last Wednesday the Panoramic was just getting its first panels - looks like its progressing nicely.

Excited to see this building delivered.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 8:42 PM

Proposed highrise at 636-648 4th Street

As reported by the San Francisco Business Times (see link below) there is a proposal to build, where K & L Liquors is now housed, a 350 foot tall building. That would be the almost as high as the Fox Plaza for reference. If built as pictured I would like it very much, particularly the red color. If built as proposed it would be in my view about 1 mile away.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...r-solbach.html

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
As reported by the San Francisco Business Times (see link below) there is a proposal to build, where K & L Liquors is now housed, a 350 foot tall building. That would be the almost as high as the Fox Plaza for reference. If built as pictured I would like it very much, particularly the red color. If built as proposed it would be in my view about 1 mile away.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...r-solbach.html
I hope it gets built. I like the red:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-building.html

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:35 AM

That building looks great, especially the red. It's definitely going to stand out with the color and its location. I'm surprised it will be this tall given its proximity to AT&T Park.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 1:33 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

That rendering looks awesome!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 3:51 AM

I hope it gets built looking like that. I also wonder if the red building might look as good from the other side.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 6:45 AM
heavy user of walkability

just adding my thumbs up to this good-looking proposal. as someone on socketsite mentioned, I wonder if the red is actually going to be brick-coloring, to help it relate to the neighborhood. great to get this height along a new light-rail line and close to Caltrain (and potential HSR)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:33 PM

Its fascinating to me that this thread is slower than its Downtown Los Angeles counterpart, when SF has so much more (of such greater quality and interest) going on. My only theory is there are less interested in development in developed cities like SF, while in LA.... Well, we could use a lot.

Here are a few crappy pics I took last week of just a couple blocks. I didn't get to spend much time in SoMa shooting all that exciting stuff like I'd like to, but will come back up to SF in the coming months to shoot much more.

Pine & Kearny by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

Stockton from Geary by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

350 Bush Street by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

Stockton & Post by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

SoMa by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 6:01 PM

Good to see 350 Bush moving forward after such a wild history. It has to be one of my favorite projects - such a well thought out example of historic preservation incorporated with modern necessities.

Great pics, Hunter!

Last edited by chuckrim; Apr 6, 2015 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Its fascinating to me that this thread is slower than its Downtown Los Angeles counterpart, when SF has so much more (of such greater quality and interest) going on. My only theory is there are less interested in development in developed cities like SF, while in LA.... Well, we could use a lot.
I think the biggest difference is that, on SSP, SF has many more individual project threads, so the general project thread gets used primarily for infill projects, which we dont have quite as many of in the city, whereas LA posters mainly use the Central City and Metro threads for the majority of their posts (since the Wilshire Grand was the only tower with its own regularly posted-in thread until recently). But I do agree that there is much more opinion and debate about how LA is developing in their general thread than we have, because LA is in such a huge transition phase right now.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 7:39 PM

Actually it's because simms has a firewall at work

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 9:11 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Also, SF isn't seeing as many new proposals--much of what is currently being built was first planned as long ago as 2008, so we've been aware of these new projects for quite some time. This city is in more of a 'construction' phase than a 'proposal' phase, so there's not as much to debate or discuss except how far along they are. And for those of us tied up at work during daylight hours, it's not easy to just go and photograph the construction sites.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:46 AM

Thanks for the pics, DTLAdenizen!

Article about the upcoming/existing SOMA boom:
Quote:
Warehouses become highrises: Map of S.F.'s Central SoMa real estate boom

Also, I found a couple renderings I hadn't seen before after doing some quick searches based on the article above:

600 Brannan (SKS Partners)

Source: www.zappettini.com

363 6th Street (Realtex Group)

Source: realtexgroup.com

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Well there's also a lot more people in LA.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:17 AM
heavy user of walkability

Schlage Lock

not sure if this should go in the SF run-down, or Bay Area, but since most of the development will be on the north end of the site, I'll put it here.

I had noticed a little activity from Caltrain over the last couple weeks, and now we know why: an update on the Schlage Lock site, which straddles the SF-San Mateo County border, from curbed:

Quote:
The much larger Schlage Lock project is about to start construction on curbs, streets, streetlights, and utilities for the long-shuttered factory site, in anticipation of the big changes on the way for this southern neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:27 PM

DTLAdenizen - thanks for the nice photo updates - very informative. I had not realized that the Apple store on Union Square had been taken down already!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:02 AM

45 Lansing

A view on April 7th from Mission Street. For such a prominent location on Rincon Hill it is a very disappointing building.

Last edited by combusean; Apr 8, 2015 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Fixed your link

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:45 AM

Quote:
A view on April 7th from Mission Street. For such a prominent location on Rincon Hill it is a very disappointing building
It's pretty annoying that the best-looking buildings from this construction boom (535 mission, 350 mission) are too short to stand out on the skyline...while 45 Lansing (I mean "Jasper" ), which is one of the ugliest ones, is one of the most prominent. And it's mostly because of those giant solid white stripes on the western side...AKA the most visible side from within the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations