HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 2:56 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
Re Crane city.......this shot is amazing. It looks like an invasion of cranes.

Sent it to my German friend who is an architect......she will be blown away.
It appears that all of the West Coast cities have become crane cities. Here in San Francisco there are cranes everywhere. When I visited the Portland (my hometown) Skyscraper Page there are cranes everywhere there, too. And Seattle is going to look even more amazing once these projects are completed. Exciting times for urbanites.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 3:52 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Thats not all the cranes either. I remember reading that there are currently 50 active ones in Seattle. Just in Seattle!

Theres a nice earthcam of Seattle from the needle where you can see the surrounding districts to the North of downtown and to the Northeast where many nice cranes reside. Like weeds.

Obama's America is seeing some of the largest transformations in terms of the skyscraper and highrise game in decades. I'd say the economy is starting to go on steroid mode. Lots in the pipeline for West and East Coast.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J21bird View Post
Greetings,

I am journalist who covers construction and development news in Denver and I am going to be in Seattle for the first time in a couple weeks. I know there is a lot of construction going on in Seattle these days. Any projects I should make a point of taking a look at while I am in town?

The publication I write for: http://denverurbanreview.com/
Some of the largest projects I suppose would be the Fifth and Columbia Tower, Rainier Square, 505 Madison, the new Amazon Campus, and a few more. I'm sure all of these and more are located back in the thread somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Greetings,

I am journalist who covers construction and development news in Denver and I am going to be in Seattle for the first time in a couple weeks. I know there is a lot of construction going on in Seattle these days. Any projects I should make a point of taking a look at while I am in town?

In terms of downtown, IMO, the most dynamic quarters currently are Pioneer Sq/the stadium area, Belltown and the area north of downtown between DT and the Space Needle and S. Lake Union. The latter is where Amazon is expanding and starting development of its 3/4 bldg headquarters.

Pioneer Sq is the historic portion of DT that was in decline a few years back but now is experiencing a strong revival with the recent announcement of a major corp relocating its headquarters from the suburbs to PS. PS sits near the Seahawk's stadium where infill development is occurring on land formerly used as parking for the stadium. The Amtrak station is nearby as well. Its been painstakingly restored but has seen no where near the level of development as with Denver's train station.

Belltown is a primarily residential neighborhood just north of Pike's Market that is seeing a lot of new construction. However, the most impressive development is in the northern part of DT where I mentioned previously that Amazon is building its headquarters. That's where the majority of cranes are located. When you want to kick back and people watch, go to Westlake Center which is sandwiched between Macy's and Nordstrom's.

Some future approved projects are the waterfront expansion:

http://waterfrontseattle.org/who-we-are

and the Pike's Market expansion:

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/marketfront

As for neighborhoods, most everyone is experiencing major construction. For me the most impressive is the Capitol Hill district immediately east of DT. I think the bldgs are well designed and have transformed the neighborhood. A new street car line has been built between it and DT. However, its opening has been delayed because the company providing cars has not been able to produce them quickly enough.

I hope this overview helps. Feel free to ask questions. Car2Go or Zipcar are great ways to get around.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
It appears that all of the West Coast cities have become crane cities. Here in San Francisco there are cranes everywhere. When I visited the Portland (my hometown) Skyscraper Page there are cranes everywhere there, too. And Seattle is going to look even more amazing once these projects are completed. Exciting times for urbanites.
Yup. Some impressive stuff going up in SF and Portland is doing some nice bldgs as well. I particularly like their new bridge that is dedicated to buses, bikes and walking but no cars.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSeattle View Post
March 25, 2015

Design Perspectives: After decades of talk, there's action on Lake2Bay
Lake2Bay will be a kind of super-green route — mostly on streets — from South Lake Union to Seattle Center and the waterfront.
If done well, this could be very exciting.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 10:42 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Greetings,

A few highlights:

1. Amazon HQ. Amazon is transitioning from the <1msf they had in 2009 or so to about 10msf in maybe 2019. That might be unprecedented in a downtown environment. The centerpiece will be three contiguous blocks that (one topped out, one starting to rise, one just vacated) that will total 3.3 msf with three towers around 500'. They have many other leased spaces and numerous smaller buildings from that area to Lake Union. Their staff is also heavy into the 20-somethings, and a large percentage want to live within walking distance, so this is a big reason for the housing boom.

2. If you define "greater Downtown" as about 2,500 acres (slighly gerrymandered) there are about 6,500 housing units underway or in site prep, much as there were when I counted 18 months ago. The current boom started slowly in 2010 and might be in the 14,000-unit range so far. From a 2010 density that was around 20,000/sm in 2010 (similar for a variety of land definitions) we should be over 25,000/sm when these are done.

3. Parking ratios are a big part of enabling this growth, and making it worthwhile. Downtown/nearby office buildings generally have about a parking space per every 4-7 workers depending on location. Housing is typically about 0.5 to 0.8 spaces per unit except condos which can sometimes go over 1.0, and except a large volume of micro units which often have 0.0 or 0.1. This makes it possible for micros to pencil. It also allows a lot more housing to fit on a small site, such as the a 350-unit apartment on a 14,000 sf site and shared lot lines and most/all of the parking below-grade.

4. Tall towers have taken off. A small area is zoned unlimited height (but with tight FAR for commercial use), another small area is zoned 500' (+10% for residential architecture/mechanical/amenities), and a bit larger area is zoned 400' (+10% for residential). As a result we have a couple office towers underway in addition to the first two Amazons, and the bigger story is the wave of 440' residentials. Starts in this boom so far include one completion, five underway (two deep holes, three with most/all structure in place), and three (possibly four) with site prep underway and permit status that suggest they're real.

5. Hot spots: Every area has something going on. The biggest hot spots are the Amazon towers and nearby tall residentials, South Lake Union (from Denny Way to the lake) which is a couple hundred acres with numerous lower office buildings, labs, and residential buildings underway (soon to be joined by highrises), and the Pike/Pine area of Capitol Hill, which is home to numerous new residential lowrises (generally at 65') that typically include the facades of the low buildings that used to be there.

6. The rise of other techs. Downtown's office market has been heavily reliant on Amazon, but the boom is broadening. Seemingly every tech company in existence is setting up a big tech office here, or expanding their tech office. A few recent examples include a 275,000 sf lease by Facebook, Ali Baba going for 60,000 sf, HBO expanding to 120,000 sf, and Disney taking 100,000 sf.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 11:50 PM

Time to put brakes on car habit in South Lake Union

Originally published March 24, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Kicking cars out of some street lanes in Seattle’s boomiest neighborhood may seem radical. But working there is enough to convince you something’s got to give.

Seattle’s decision to kick cars off two lanes of a major street through the heart of its fastest-growing neighborhood is definitely radical.

It sure got the “war on cars” crowd all stirred up, as some accused the city of abusing drivers or holding a vendetta against the automobile.

But as someone who commutes by car every day to that same neighborhood, I can tell you the move is not only the right one, it was inevitable.

It’s one of the first signs Seattle finally is starting to get serious about facing up to its huge growth and traffic boom — with the Amazon jungle of South Lake Union at Ground Zero.

When I first came to work in South Lake Union in the early 1990s, free on-street parking was plentiful. Imagine that! There was only one place to eat — a club-sandwich-type diner called “The Family Affair.” (OK, the 13 Coins has always been here too, but it’s too rich for my journalist’s wallet.)

Fast forward to today. It’s so hard to find even paid parking that yellow-shirted valets vie in the street to park your car for you. One of the last lots, the current Seattle Times lot where I park, is due to be redeveloped into one of the largest residential complexes in the city’s history — nearly 2,000 units in four towers totaling 146 stories (which is nearly two Columbia Towers).

The underground parking garage will be bigger than the garage for Safeco Field — 2,580 spots versus Safeco’s 2,000.

This is the story of boomtown Seattle, reflected in one parking lot. It’s driven by good things, such as jobs and economic prosperity. But when it comes to cars, it’s a classic tragedy of the commons.

Stand in my parking lot at, say, 5 p.m. on any weekday, and you’ll see cars lined up almost motionless along Denny to the west and down Fairview toward Lake Union. This gridlock in turn stalls out the buses. Add another estimated 5,000 car trips per day from this one development in our parking lot and it doesn’t take a transportation engineer to forecast “gridlockapocalypse.”

This isn’t a war on cars. It’s a war of cars. The streets are a depleted resource that realistically can’t be widened to help us drivers. To date we drivers have swamped boomtown while the city has basically done nothing to help anybody.

Until now. The headline news is they’re planning to bar cars from two lanes of a mile of Westlake Avenue so the streetcar won’t get stuck in traffic. But the streetcar — more of a toy than real mass transit — isn’t the big news. The plan that will actually help thousands of people daily is to run buses, including a bus-rapid transit line, on the same car-free road lanes.

The RapidRide Line C alone carries 8,000 riders per day. When it’s extended on Westlake to Amazon in those dedicated lanes, that number will soar. The Metro bus No. 40 on the same route also carries about 8,000 riders per weekday (and that’s stuck in traffic.) Freeing these buses is huge.

What’s more, in a few years the city’s plan is to kick cars out of two lanes on First Avenue downtown to connect the streetcar and the dedicated bus lanes from South Lake Union all the way through downtown to the stadium district.

As anti-car as all this may sound — it will probably make driving and parking down here more difficult than it already is — it’s also by far the most cost-effective way to move more people through a congested city. The other options are even more radical, such as barring new development (goodbye Amazon), or building new road rights of way at incredible cost (hello Bertha).

Bigger cities are already taking back some streets from cars (Chicago, for one). It’s not about waging war. It’s just the math of the big city commons. Which is that they keep making more cars, but they can’t make more streets.

So something’s got to give. If anything it’s overdue that it’s finally the cars.

Danny Westneat’s column appears Wednesday and Sunday.

Reach him at 206-464-2086 or dwestneat@seattletimes.com

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...th-lake-union/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I am looking forward to my visit.

Cheers,

J

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:17 PM

WOW! That came from the Seattle Times?! Things are really changing out there.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
WOW! That came from the Seattle Times?! Things are really changing out there.
Danny Westneat calls it like he sees it.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:35 AM

Alibaba 'likely' to choose Seattle for U.S. headquarters

By Marc Stiles

Mar 31, 2015, 1:45pm PDT Updated: Mar 31, 2015, 3:30pm PDT

It's rumored that Alibaba, which Jack Ma heads, plans to locate its U.S. headquarters in Seattle. A company spokeswoman declined to comment.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/b...e-for-u-s.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:19 AM

Expedia to move headquarters to Amgen's campus on Seattle's waterfront

By Marc Stiles

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/b...campus-on.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:43 PM

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 5:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Excellent.

Reminds me of stuff I used to see in Adbusters.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 6:58 PM

The dark side of Expedia’s move to Seattle

by David Kroman

http://crosscut.com/2015/04/the-dark...ve-to-seattle/

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 7:22 PM

It seems like the folks at Crosscut are looking for a problem where there really isn't one. The Expedia folks are taking over an existing corporate campus that was on track to be deserted after Amgen completed their move out. Their employees have a few years to either come to terms with the commute, find new employment on the Eastside, or move to Seattle.

Improving transit to this area is a great goal but it's already a lot better than it was when Immunex started building the campus years ago.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 7:44 PM
Never Dell

If I worked there I'd live in Belltown or Lower Queen Anne and walk through Myrtle Edwards Park along the waterfront. Or the top of Queen Anne Hill is pretty walkable via stairs. Or just the west face of Queen Anne somewhere.

The semi-BRT line should be more frequent too, both to Ballard (another good option) and Downtown proper.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskyfan View Post
It seems like the folks at Crosscut are looking for a problem where there really isn't one. The Expedia folks are taking over an existing corporate campus that was on track to be deserted after Amgen completed their move out. Their employees have a few years to either come to terms with the commute, find new employment on the Eastside, or move to Seattle.

Improving transit to this area is a great goal but it's already a lot better than it was when Immunex started building the campus years ago.
I think what CC is doing is anticipating problems which is a good thing. Its what good planning is all about. Actually, its Expedia that is anticipating the problems. It sounds like they are working with SDOT to mitigate those commute problems as much as possible........which is good for everyone working in that area.

Its the title of the article that is a bit overwrought.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 8:11 PM

Brier Dudley

Booking a deal: Traffic fears aside, Expedia snags an ideal spot in Seattle

Originally published April 5, 2015 at 7:54 am
Updated April 5, 2015 at 10:58 am

Expedia intends to eventually fill its new Seattle headquarters with 1,500 more employees, especially with young tech workers who like Seattle, but it also may bring a day of reckoning for the Seattle mayor and others who insist the city will be fine with fewer traffic lanes.

Expedia is Seattle’s next Amazon.com, for better or worse.

In announcing last week that it’s moving from Bellevue to the former Amgen campus on Elliott Bay, Expedia is joining the dizzying rush of tech companies moving to Seattle.

Lately we equate this phenomenon with Amazon, making it the focal point of Seattle’s transportation crisis and growth angst.

I wonder if that focus will shift to Expedia after its 3,000 employees begin moving to the 40-acre spread next year.

It’s an exciting move. Chief Executive Dara Khosrowshahi expects it will help him add 1,500 more headquarters employees in the next few years, especially young tech workers who like Seattle.

But it’s also likely to worsen the traffic problem and increase concerns about the city’s ability to manage its growth.

With 75 percent of its employees living on the Eastside and a new campus that’s off the beaten path and a significant walk to the nearest bus stop, Expedia may bring a day of reckoning for Seattle Mayor Ed Murray and others who insist the city will be fine with fewer and fewer traffic lanes.

Their urban-utopia fantasy works with Amazon and the surrounding web of apartments, bus routes and bike lanes. Especially if you squint and don’t count the cars streaming to and from Interstate 5.

Murray said Seattle is adding more buses and requiring Expedia to provide bus passes and charge for parking on campus. But it still doesn’t fit the narrative. Instead, Expedia’s move will highlight Seattle’s standing as a hub for people who live and work across the region.

Bellevue’s construction boom may have to pause for a moment to absorb the loss. But perhaps the Expedia space there will be filled by a Seattle company escaping the traffic.

F5 Networks, the biggest tech company now on Seattle’s waterfront, two years ago opened a satellite office in Bellevue. It did so to hire and retain engineers living on the Eastside and wanting to avoid the commute. In the evening, it may take 50 minutes to drive from Seattle Center to the freeway on Mercer Street, according to traffic-data firm INRIX.

read more...............

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/booking-a-deal/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations