HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:10 PM

[QUOTE=odinthor;8767850]On Poodle-Dog Restaurants, and/or their locations:

136 N. Spring was the well-known grocer Jevne's original location:

LA Times 5/12/1907, via ProQuest, via CSULB Library

A little about the building:

LA Herald 11/16/1904

There seems to have been a Poodle Dog eatery on E. 1st St., the cook of which had a canine adventure:

LA Times 8/28/1910, via ProQuest, via CSULB Library

The New Poodle Dog Restaurant opened just in time for New Year's 1911 . . .

^^^
Naming a restaurant "Poodle Dog" might have been part of the problem. The French don't eat dogs (some cultures do), but still... Even worse, if they named if after a horse. Some French & Belgians do eat equines.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 5, 2019 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

recto; odinthor collection
Huh. I guess Wikipedia can be flawed at times. They still show Poodle Dog at 156 N. Spring, not 136.

Only took seven years...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Can't believe this is No. Hollywood. Streets too steep, large mountains too close. Maybe Sierra Madre or Altadena. Was there a Safeway in Sierra Madre?

ScottyB:

The Tucker was supposedly brought in for a paint job (don't do it) from Madman Muntz's car lot. From reading up on Muntz (interesting guy), it seems that his car lot was located in Glendale. Does anywhere around Glendale fit the bill for this photo?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=CaliNative;8768012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
^^^
Naming a restaurant "Poodle Dog" might have been part of the problem. The French don't eat dogs (some cultures do), but still... Even worse, if they named if after a horse. Some French & Belgians do eat equines.
I hope they didn't name it after the poodle dog bush either, that's a nasty one. The poodle dog bush is a plant that grows in the decade after an area has burned in a brush fire, contact with the skin is similar to poison oak or poison ivy. Something to know about and avoid when hiking in the local mountains.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
^^^
Do you think they fired the engineer? Must have been drinking or sleeping. Or maybe the brakes went out?
If I recall correctly, the engineer left the engine running, as they do and forgot to put the brake on.

I don't know what was the policy as to firing for error. I would imagine they were lenient if no lives were lost.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 11:25 AM

Marineland & P.O.P.

Any old pics of Marineland & Pacific Ocean Park ("POP")? Went to those places a lot as a kid, especially POP. Going over the hill from the sweltering Valley where I lived to the cool, sometimes cold Santa Monica/Venice summer air was my initiation into the microclimates of the L.A. area. POP had a really old fashioned Coney Island feel. I liked POP better than Marineland. The porpoise & whale shows got tiresome after a while. The rides and arcade games at POP were more fun to a kid under 10. I also remember riding in a bubble tram ride over to an "island" they built a fair distance from the pier. Once after going to POP we made the fairly short walk over to "Muscle Beach" where the male & female athletes put on quite a show of strength & acrobatics. Another time we walked over to the Venice canals which back in the early 1960s were pretty run down but still kind of fun to walk.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 6, 2019 at 11:42 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:20 PM

In my mystery post from yesterday, I should have included an image that shows the strip along the bottom.

eBay

Putnam Photo.,....223 N. Spring, Cor. Temple St.

And here's a closer look at the tower (and two tall chimeys) in the distance....As you can see the tower appears to have an open-air cupola.

detail / top left corner

I'd wager a guess that the building is a school. (even though I don't see a BELL in the cupola)

And here is that large house on the hill on the opposite side of the photograph.

detail / top right

Is the vertical line directly above (and behind) the house one of those tall electrical masts that were placed around the city?
..or is it simply an error in the print?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 7, 2019 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:42 PM

More mid-century mayhem, as before these are from the L.A. Examiner archives....

Man trapped under a Pacific Electric freight car in Gardena 8-7-51....John C. Heldt Jr., victim.

Dr. (Chiropractor) Emilio Abitia (left), of 675 S. Vermont at the San Pedro Detective Bureau on 9/15/51....Abitia was questioned in the abortion death of Patricia Colbert, 22....the procedure allegedly conducted by Abitia in his offices at 1245 S. Avalon Blvd., Wilmington.

Stabbing (motel at 2683 W. 9th St.), 11/27/53....fight between Mr. & Mrs. William Walker....

Mrs. Walker

Felony bookmaking, April 12, 1951. Ann Gardella (alias Ann Stark)

Carbon Monoxide suicide (in the alley behind 8161 W. 3rd Street), 02 October 1951. Body of E.B Dubain.

Venice Beach Death, 14 May 1954. Unidentified body pulled from surf.; Caption slip reads: "Photographer: Gaze. Date: 1954-05-14. Reporter: Sandusky. Assignment: Venice Beach death. Investigators and others stand beside body of man (not yet identified) pulled from the surf behind the breakwater of the old Venice Pier by a passerby (Nathaniel Smith, visiting from Sacramento). Detective Stewart Jones said the man appeared to have been shot through the head. Suicide question -- or...."

Accident, July 17, 1951. Accident at Gateway and Barrington; Ruth Frabasillio.

GSV

Burglar shot at 15th and Los Angeles, May 30, 1951. Unidentified burglar being taken from building where cops shot him.

Church yard murder, 11 May 1961....body of unidentified person found in parking lot at 48th and McKinley.

GSV

Walter Wanger, film producer, checking into jail following conviction 6/4/52.... atty Jerry Giesler to his left....

The following is extracted from the book On Sunset Boulevard (1998, p. 431) by Ed Sikov:

In 1951, producer Walter Wanger discovered that his wife, Joan Bennett, was having an affair with the agent Jennings Lang. Their encounters were brief and frequent. When Lang and Bennett weren't meeting clandestinely at vacation spots like New Orleans and the West Indies, they were back in L.A. enjoying weekday quickies at a Beverly Hills apartment otherwise occupied by one of Lang's underlings at the agency. When Wanger found proof of the affair, he did what any crazed cuckold would do: he shot Lang in the balls.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 12:03 AM

Excellent post riichkay!

We covered the Wanger - Bennett - Jennings 'love triangle' in the early days of NLA.

"As for Walter Wanger shooting Jennings Lang in the balls and in the process pretty much killing Joan Bennett's career." ..GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics17/00028171.jpg
Picture it: 1951. Joan--Jennings--Walter

Speaking of guns and groins--gs, you've reminded me of one of my favorite Hollywood stories: Walter Wanger shooting agent Jennings Lang in the nether regions after suspecting him of wooing Mrs. Wanger--a Lang client, and none other than Miss Joan Bennett. (I once worked with a great editor in NY who happened to be the youngest daughter of the Wangers. Naturally I never brought up the shooting--but she did have tales of a glamorous life in a Wallace Neff house in Holmby Hills, and of flying back and forth between LA and NY on TWA Super Constellations. No bragging--just True Tales of a Hollywood childhood. She was--and I assume still is--funny and down to earth, and she looked alot like Joan, too--very beautiful.) Details of the unmentioned-to-the-daughter incident here: http://www.opossumsal.com/Christmas/...t/Bennett.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=H0o...page&q&f=false
Joan at home in Holmby Hills. (More pics at link above.)

LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics17/00028170.jpg
Lang recovering at Midway Hospital. (That's Mrs. Lang--not to be unkind, but one can sort of understand the
allurements of Miss Bennett.)

LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics17/00028168.jpg
Mrs. Lang leaving the hospital after a visit, accompanied by Miss Jane Wyman.
____

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
More mid-century mayhem, as before these are from the L.A. Examiner archives....

The following is extracted from the book On Sunset Boulevard (1998, p. 431) by Ed Sikov:

In 1951, producer Walter Wanger discovered that his wife, Joan Bennett, was having an affair with the agent Jennings Lang. Their encounters were brief and frequent. When Lang and Bennett weren't meeting clandestinely at vacation spots like New Orleans and the West Indies, they were back in L.A. enjoying weekday quickies at a Beverly Hills apartment otherwise occupied by one of Lang's underlings at the agency. When Wanger found proof of the affair, he did what any crazed cuckold would do: he shot Lang in the balls.
Yep, that's the way it rolled in LA of the 1950s. Thanks for posting the raw photos.

Tune of the era...>>>>

https://youtu.be/vtyVrvQRPc0

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 5:22 AM

.............................................................EUREKA!

That fine line that rises above the house on the hill is an early electric light mast!

detail from HERE

The house (and mast) are visible in a photograph taken at The Plaza in the 1890s. [link to the complete photo is below image]

detail / USC

I know that we have discussed this mast on NLA. (but I wasn't able to locate the old posts)

The lighting mast is even illustrated on this 1889 map.

waterandpower...............................................................................................for search purposes: William Workman property and vineyard, Boyle Height

Of course this doesn't solve the location of my 'mystery' eBay photograph.

You can see the mystery photo (again) ...HERE

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 7, 2019 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 5:58 AM

Just so you don't think I'm beating just one dead horse, here's another mystery.

The date is 1954 and the place is Cathedral Films.

eBay

oops.I was wrong. There is an address. 140 Hollywood Way, Burbank

I've never heard of Cathedral Films before..... It sounds all religiousy.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 7, 2019 at 6:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 6:05 AM

Here's one more slide for tonight.

Original Slide, "Walt Disney Productions" Studio Building - Burbank CA - 1954

eBay

I don't recall seeing this particular Disney gate before. Do you think it's a side gate or a film crew entrance?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 9:05 PM

Don't have the answer to your question, but I found this other photo of the same building. It's not dated. The car could be a clue as to the date.

William Bird/Flickr

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 9:38 PM

I think this is the Disney building. It's still standing on the western side of the Disney Studios block on S Buena Vista Street.

GSV

The entrance is now about 40 yards to the south, but you can see where it used to be in this 1944 aerial. I've arrowed the building.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 10:50 PM

Thanks for locating the building Martin Pal and HossC. ...I'm a bit surprise it's still there.

Look at the size of Warner Bros. Studios, and then compare it to the size of Walt Disney Studios.

It looks like it would take six (or more) Walt Disney Studios to fill up the same area as Warner Bros.

I had no idea there was such a difference. (in 1944)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 11, 2019 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 11:03 PM

According to Wikipedia, Disney only made five movies featuring elements of live action in the '40s, so they didn't need all the sound stages and outside lots.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 11:13 PM

That's interesting, Hoss.

The humongous sound stages at Warner's take up 3/4th of their space.

Here's the Warner Bros.' sign in 1954.

eBay

By the way, this slide was taken by the same person that took the photograph of the gate building.

"Combining Good Citizenship With Good Picture Making." ....Well that's a mouthful....No doubt to placate McCarthyism.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 8, 2019 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 1:02 PM
BANNED

photobucket

Posted by riichkay

I wonder if this guy survived after this ordeal? They've jacked up the box and the wheel of the train...note the chain on the wheel truck [called a bogie in the UK]. They've also placed a wood plank under the wheel. Was he hitching a free ride?

They've got a doctor, two ambulance attendants and some cops on the scene. Sad situation.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Dec 8, 2019 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:08 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Wanger/Bennett/Lang story, especially the part about the junior exec at the agency loaning Lang the key to his flat lead Billy Wilder to write "The Apartment?"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos