HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8201  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 4:54 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Another Rosso coffee shop is opening tomorrow in Tuxedo, 20th Ave and Centre St N. VIP pre-open was Monday.
Rosso isn't bad, much prefer Analog, I hope they open more locations!
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8202  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 6:28 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,273
Copied over from construction thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
It's just a fad here in Calgary too. All the urbanist hipsters who are are paying large to line up and eat outside will clue into that fact and that will be the end of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I witnessed an elderly lady go up to the Fiasco truck and ask for a coffee. "Sorry we don't serve that, but we do have an Americano"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
in the US at least it seems that food trucks are a fad that is already in decline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Storm View Post
IMHO we've reached peak food truck here as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
I suspect the same will happen here too. The food trucks with good value will stay in business.
Agree with these sentiments, with some observations:
- they are not cheap, and often more expensive for same items you could get anyway
- the fact they can service areas that are less serviced, or service festivals / concerts / special events is a positive, and will allow a reasonable number to stay in business and do well
- I think most people now know that an Americano is simply a term for a coffee that costs double, so the education mandate is beyond peak
- The social media buzz about them when they started up has all but gone away. People used to invite them to events as much for their tweeting and associated tweeps as anything else. The quality of those tweeps / turn-over ratio vis-a-vis special event attendance, has gotten worse over the last year, so it is not seen as much of a value any more

They will not go away though. They have filled a niche. I really hope that parking lots are not specifically created so that they can all park in a circle like a tail-gate party on an expansive parking lot outside an American football stadium. I think it is better when their presence animates street life. That's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8203  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 8:41 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
- the fact they can service areas that are less serviced, or service festivals / concerts / special events is a positive, and will allow a reasonable number to stay in business and do well
Yeah. They do great things for special days in office parks, where there are plentiful workers and plentiful street space, and they are only competing against in building cafeterias.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8204  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 5:11 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
I'm not being a cynic, I'm only being realistic. They are just a fad, and have manage to overcharge people for a few years now because hipsters and urbanists will pay the extra $$$ so they can have the so called 'urban experience'.
I'm not looking down at the hipsters, if they want to get robbed at the til because they want to look cool that's their business. They remind em of the cool teenagers standing at the bus stop freezing because they don't want to wear a dorky winter jacket.
Half the restaurants in the city overcharge, does that mean half the people out dining just want to be cool? food trucks simply offer variety, and they are not on the cheaper end, but paying $10 - $15 for a burger or some noodles isn't really out of line price wise. And I don't think anyone goes to a food truck for an urban experience, they go there because they are nearby and convenient.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8205  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:57 PM
Colin's Avatar
Colin Colin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 365
If anyone was a fan of Top Chef Canada, the show is being rebooted and will begin airing on April 2nd on the Food Network. It's an all-star season, so Connie DeSousa from Charcut and Nicole Gomes from Cluck N' Cleaver will be back competing!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8206  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 10:28 PM
Policy Wonk's Avatar
Policy Wonk Policy Wonk is offline
Inflatable Hippo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Suburban Las Vegas
Posts: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Half the restaurants in the city overcharge, does that mean half the people out dining just want to be cool? food trucks simply offer variety, and they are not on the cheaper end, but paying $10 - $15 for a burger or some noodles isn't really out of line price wise. And I don't think anyone goes to a food truck for an urban experience, they go there because they are nearby and convenient.
Maybe I was just in the wrong state of mind towards the end of my time working downtown, but come lunchtime I wanted to get out and away from my office. Picking something up from a food truck and returning to my office did not appeal to me. And in the winter that is presumably what you're doing.
__________________
Public Administration 101: Keep your mouth shut until obligated otherwise and don't get in public debates with housewives.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8207  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 11:02 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Maybe I was just in the wrong state of mind towards the end of my time working downtown, but come lunchtime I wanted to get out and away from my office. Picking something up from a food truck and returning to my office did not appeal to me. And in the winter that is presumably what you're doing.
They don't operate in the winter, today was the first food truck I've seen since October. In the summer, you grab some food and find a spot somewhere outside to eat, half the point is to get out of the office.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8208  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 11:12 PM
Policy Wonk's Avatar
Policy Wonk Policy Wonk is offline
Inflatable Hippo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Suburban Las Vegas
Posts: 3,989
I couldn't give you an exact date (I worked downtown till about three years ago and left Calgary coming up on two years ago) but they were definitely a couple parked near Nexen in not Summer.
__________________
Public Administration 101: Keep your mouth shut until obligated otherwise and don't get in public debates with housewives.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8209  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:19 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,581
Just tried the Butcher and the Baker in Bow Valley square, pretty good little take out sandwich place, and $12 for a soup, sandwich and a cookie is not a bad price.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8210  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:26 PM
hulkrogan hulkrogan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 526
Bridges on First has opened as a neighborhood pub style place replacing Black Pig Bistro. The place is actually pretty decent, and I think they have a shot at doing pretty well, but they put up frigging mirrored window tinting.

They even responded to a facebook post about it saying they learned from a bunch of mistakes during their time as Black Pig, and they have many business reasons for the window tint, and they have two very bring "open" signs so that people know they are open.

I'm pretty flabbergasted someone could think that is a good idea. I wish there was a bylaw against it. What should have been a pretty vibrant corner may as well just be blank brick walls.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8211  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:25 PM
CorporateWhore's Avatar
CorporateWhore CorporateWhore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 4,685
Seriously, talk about an unwelcome street presence. It makes it look like they're renting pornos in there or something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8212  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:00 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Bridges on First has opened as a neighborhood pub style place replacing Black Pig Bistro. The place is actually pretty decent, and I think they have a shot at doing pretty well, but they put up frigging mirrored window tinting.

They even responded to a facebook post about it saying they learned from a bunch of mistakes during their time as Black Pig, and they have many business reasons for the window tint, and they have two very bring "open" signs so that people know they are open.

I'm pretty flabbergasted someone could think that is a good idea. I wish there was a bylaw against it. What should have been a pretty vibrant corner may as well just be blank brick walls.
Brutal!

One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to urban design - it's almost as if business owners don't want patrons to see the goods and or services they are selling.....it's almost as if that wouldn't be of some sort of benefit to the business.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8213  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 2:33 AM
Suburgatory's Avatar
Suburgatory Suburgatory is offline
No man's land
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 763
Speaking of restaurants with tinted windows. The former Ric's? in Emerald Stone on 8th has been split into multiple units with access off 8th and very clear glazing. Very well done with some food service businesses u/c. Fusilli will be happy. I know he lives in the area and hated that disconnected to the street treatment of a prominent location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8214  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 2:29 PM
UofC.engineer's Avatar
UofC.engineer UofC.engineer is offline
Laura Palmer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Peaks, Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
Speaking of restaurants with tinted windows. The former Ric's? in Emerald Stone on 8th has been split into multiple units with access off 8th and very clear glazing. Very well done with some food service businesses u/c. Fusilli will be happy. I know he lives in the area and hated that disconnected to the street treatment of a prominent location.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.03911...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Yeah...poor urban design.
__________________
I've got good news! That gum you like is going to come back in style!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8215  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 12:40 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,380
The much beloved Drum and Monkey space is set to open as....Leopold's Tavern in the fall!!

For anyone who has spent some time in Regina (or more recently Saskatoon), this is a popular, and lively venue in both cities! There are three locations in Regina (plus a fourth by a different name), and one recently opened in Saskatoon's Broadway area.

As someone who has spent a lot of time (and money) at Leopold's downtown Regina location, I can't wait!

https://www.facebook.com/LeopoldsTav...type=3&theater
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8216  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 6:17 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,380
80th and Ivy has closed.

Sounds like something will be coming in its place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8217  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 8:51 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,183
Always meant to check out goth and ivy
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8218  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 1:54 AM
speedog's Avatar
speedog speedog is offline
Moran supreme
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,522
Molly Malone's been closed awhile now, Prohibtion Bar opening up in it's place, new owners.
__________________
Just a wee bit below average prairie boy in Canada's third largest city and fourth largest CMA
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8219  
Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:12 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 34,823
Edmonton will get 1, Calgary will get 5 and Vancouver will get 4.

Arby's to open 10 new restaurants in Western Canada creating 300 jobs

Quote:
Development agreements were signed with Mazhar Malik and Santosh Menon to open an initial five restaurants in Calgary.
http://dailyhive.com/calgary/arbys-n...rn-canada-2017
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8220  
Old Posted May 5, 2017, 2:42 PM
CalgaryAlex's Avatar
CalgaryAlex CalgaryAlex is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Edmonton will get 1, Calgary will get 5 and Vancouver will get 4.

Arby's to open 10 new restaurants in Western Canada creating 300 jobs



http://dailyhive.com/calgary/arbys-n...rn-canada-2017
Didn't they just close 2 locations here? One on 16 Ave and one on 1 St SE.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.