HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Well, my analogy is the following: imagine there's a plastic potted plant in the corner of the PM's office. It's been there in the same spot since the 1800s (very early 1800s plastic; don't ask). Sir John A Macdonald, Wilfrid Laurier, etc all touched it in a special ceremony, it's a heritage item. The Constitution explicitly says it must forever stay exactly where it is; trying to remove it would be a super messy process. It also systematically costs a few dollars a year in maintenance, somehow. (Even though it's plastic. Don't ask.)

What I'm saying is that this plastic potted plant does not serve any purpose and that the country would run exactly like before, if it were magically removed.

That's all. I'm not saying we should try to remove the plastic plant, I'm just telling people who seem to believe it's essential that they're factually totally incorrect.
Love this analogy!

Even though I'm no fan of the Monarchy, and am pro parliamentary republic, there could be one pro to keeping it. How about as a cultural buffer to somewhat keep our identity separate from the elephant to the South?
It's not much, but that + having Quebec's French culture preserved and not becoming Louisiana, are small wins that keep us from getting more culturally absorbed into America's fabric.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 2:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There was an interesting recent answer on Quora on why Canada feels more civilized and safe than the USA, when America is a wealthier country. I believe this might offer some insights.

Quote:
The late Canadian nationalist and political philosopher George Parkin Grant, pictured above, once offered a very adroit explanation for why Canada and the United States differ rather markedly.

While both nations are the outgrowth of settler societies, the cultural and political traditions of Canada simply were carried across the Atlantic by the British. In that respect, Canada, much like the other former dominions, Australia and New Zealand, are settler societies that nevertheless derive many of the advantages of organic societies, such as Britain, France and Germany.

America as a Propositional Nation

The United States, on the other hand, is a society born of revolution. It initially was settled by roughly the same stock that colonized Canada, but it was conceived as what Lincoln later describe as a propositional nation. It is a nation founded on a set of ideals, namely 18th century Enlightenment ideals, rather than one that grew organically out of ancient cultural and political traditions.

Incidentally, one of the world’s most preeminent ethno-cultural historians, David Hackett Fischer, author of the highly acclaimed “Albion’s Seed: Four British Folkways in America, explores this organic/propositional dichotomy in a more recent book titled Fairness and Freedom: A History of Two Open Societies, New Zealand and the United States.

As Fischer argues in the book, both New Zealand and the United States, as British-derived societies, share much in common. Both are democratic societies with mixed economies. Both place immense value on pluralism and human rights. Yet, the United States historically has placed considerably more emphasis on “living free,” while New Zealand has tended to place greater emphasis on fairness and natural justice.

The “First” versus the “Second” British Empire

What accounts for these differences? Fischer contends that the United States was a product of the First British Empire, which essentially passed into history when the 13 American colonies effectively gained their independence from Great Britain following Washington’s victory at Yorktown in 1781, This first expression of British imperialism was characterized by conflict between the British Crown its imperial authorities and the colonists, who were told that they lacked the same rights as Englishmen.

On the other hand, New Zealand, and, for that matter, its sister nation, Canada, came of age with the era of the Second British Empire, when many of the issues between the Crown and colonies were largely resolved, and Britain was inclined to grant its colonists the same rights as British subjects.

Moreover, as Fischer argues, British colonization and colonial policy become considerably more idealistic, based on the notion of a civilizing mission in which Briton at least paid lip service to concepts such as fairness, decency and social justice.

The Canadian “Red Tory” Tradition

For a deeper insight into the differences between Canada and the United States, I would urge a thorough reading of the writings of George P. Grant, particularly Lament for a Nation, which caused quite a stir upon its release, and Technology and Empire.

Grant also played a critical role in the formation of a unique Canadian contrivance known as Red Toryism, a political ideology that places unusually strong emphasis on the collective and communitarian aspects of the British Tory tradition.

To know Grant and his works is to know why Canada has historically hewed a markedly different path than the United States.
So, Canada is a "Red Tory" nation, defined by tradition and respect for existing constructs and symbols, and at the same time promoting "peace, order and good government" as an ideal. The US on the other hand has "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' as it's ideal, and tends to be far more suspicious of authority (which is strange given that in many ways the US feels more conformist and Canada more Bohemian).

In any event, Canada, as a child of the "Second Empire", has a different relationship to the Crown than our excitable American cousins, a relationship based on tradition and respect, a relationship far more civil and peaceful than what we see represented to our south.

Structure, stability, respect and civility - I prefer a parliamentary democracy over base republicanism 100% of the time.

God Save the Queen!!!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 4:22 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
God Save the Queen!!!
She'd better hope so, what with her family's behaviour and all.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:44 PM

I personally think that this issue is not at the top of things to deal with as we have many issues we face as a country so I'm indifferent.

But if we were to drop the crown in its current structure, I would be for rotating it between each province's LG taking a turn of (four years or so) being the GG. The appointment of the LG's could be from the first nations people of that province as an example. A nod to reconciliation and that they were the original holders of the land.

Now that I said this, let the millions of issues with this come my way.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 7:19 PM

Well we can set this rumour aside. See below:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/...ment-1.4719891

Prince Charles' office issues statement about Queen's retirement

Jackie Dunham
CTVNews.ca Staff Writer
@JaclynLDunham Contact
Published Saturday, December 7, 2019 12:23PM EST
Last Updated Monday, December 9, 2019 9:05AM EST

TORONTO -- In a rare statement, a spokesperson for Prince Charles has dismissed persistent rumours claiming Queen Elizabeth II plans to retire when she turns 95.

“There are no plans for any change in arrangements at the age of 95 — or any other age,” the Clarence House spokesperson told CTVNews.ca in an email on Saturday....

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
There was an interesting recent answer on Quora on why Canada feels more civilized and safe than the USA, when America is a wealthier country. I believe this might offer some insights.

So, Canada is a "Red Tory" nation, defined by tradition and respect for existing constructs and symbols, and at the same time promoting "peace, order and good government" as an ideal. The US on the other hand has "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' as it's ideal, and tends to be far more suspicious of authority (which is strange given that in many ways the US feels more conformist and Canada more Bohemian).

In any event, Canada, as a child of the "Second Empire", has a different relationship to the Crown than our excitable American cousins, a relationship based on tradition and respect, a relationship far more civil and peaceful than what we see represented to our south.

Structure, stability, respect and civility - I prefer a parliamentary democracy over base republicanism 100% of the time.

God Save the Queen!!!
It's also worthwhile to remember that the beginnings of English Canada came about in no small part who were actual American colonists loyal to the British Crown. The loyalists basically founded Ontario (Upper Canada) and came to dominate the Maritime colonies in the late 18th/early 19th century.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

What’s with all this fuzz about “Megxit”? Can someone explain?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Well we can set this rumour aside. See below:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/...ment-1.4719891

Prince Charles' office issues statement about Queen's retirement

Jackie Dunham
CTVNews.ca Staff Writer
@JaclynLDunham Contact
Published Saturday, December 7, 2019 12:23PM EST
Last Updated Monday, December 9, 2019 9:05AM EST

TORONTO -- In a rare statement, a spokesperson for Prince Charles has dismissed persistent rumours claiming Queen Elizabeth II plans to retire when she turns 95.

“There are no plans for any change in arrangements at the age of 95 — or any other age,” the Clarence House spokesperson told CTVNews.ca in an email on Saturday....
Whether or not you like the monarchy, you have to respect the Queen's dedication... no gearing down to a carefree life sipping margaritas on the beach for her. She's going to keep on going right to the end.

I guess if you've been at it this long, you might as well see it through.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:48 PM
the first stamp is free

^ she's trying to provide the commonwealth with as little of King Charles as possible. It's understandable.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ she's trying to provide the commonwealth with as little of King Charles as possible. It's understandable.

E II R taking one for the team!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Long live King Harry and Queen Meaghan of Canada!

It's just too perfect - half British, half American and racially diverse to boot!!!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:

It's just too perfect - half British, half American and racially diverse to boot!!!
If Harry becomes GG, I hope they’re obliged to take out Canadian citizenship.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'd rather we cut all ties with monarchy before this ever happens.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:25 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'd rather we cut all ties with monarchy before this ever happens.
Same.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:40 PM

Quote:

Sounds like BC is their favourite and may move here.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Sounds like BC is their favourite and may move here.
Do we think they can afford to buy in Vancouver, or will they have to rent like nearly everyone else?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:45 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Do we think they can afford to buy in Vancouver, or will they have to rent like nearly everyone else?
Lol this is a good question.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post

Couldn't have said it better. I was born in the UK and the sooner Canada can rid itself of these shackles of the monarchy the better.
I was born in India and the sooner Canada can rid itself of the shackles of the monarchy the better.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If Harry becomes GG, I hope they’re obliged to take out Canadian citizenship.
I wonder if he automatically has it?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I wonder if he automatically has it?
No. Only the Queen is the personification of the state and is able to travel without a passport. By right, she is also a citizen of Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada