HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 6:33 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Humanity has had 200,000 years. Computers haven't even had a century and look at what they've accomplished. The rise of AI will be the death of human exceptionalism.
Computers didn't invent themselves; "they" have accomplished nothing.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 7:44 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I think some people are greatly overestimating computation growth. It is no longer doubling every 1.5yrs. Moores Law died a few years ago. We are still seeing doubling on the mobile side (which is much further behind) but that is about to hit a wall too. We have for the last several computer generations seen growth of only 5-15% To expect anything to continue to grow exponentially indefinitely is absurd. We as a society will still all be working in 80yrs, what we'll be doing I have no idea but we'll be working.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 8:43 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
... We as a society will still all be working in 80yrs, what we'll be doing I have no idea but we'll be working.
The definition of "working" will change. The idea of the 40 hour work week will probably disappear. Working may mean an hour a day, a day per week, or occasional monitoring, giving people more control over their level of involvement. That's what improved task efficiency by computerisation can do, but human abilities will still be required.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 12:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's opening up a little, especially as baby boomers (who are still in charge, really) want more flexible employment arrangements as they age. There's also a lot of pressure from young families struggling with child care, and of course innovations from Silicon Valley.

There are even a few examples in small markets, like ours:

Quote:
It sounds like every employee's dream.

Taking as many vacation days as you want, getting paid to go to the gym or run errands, working from home whenever you like — all of this is a reality for staff at Vigilant Management in Paradise.

"If somebody is getting their work done really, really fast, really, really efficiently — well then there should be some incentive for them," said Terry Hussey, CEO of the construction project management company.

Hussey said it's a pretty simple concept.

If someone takes a break to go to the gym during the work day, for example, they'll come back refreshed and better able to do their job, so Hussey said it's worth it to the company to keep that time on the clock.

Likewise for working from home or the beach, because people only really need to be in the office for face-to-face meetings.

"It's the concept of, let's set people up to do work in the best way they feel is appropriate," said Hussey.

That includes taking time off.

"We realized there's not really any point in us tracking how many days people are here or not here, all we care about is 'is the work getting done?'" said Hussey.

Even though Hussey said it's weird for people at first, especially work term students and those who have worked in "regular jobs" at other companies, they start to get used to it. And enjoy it.

"Ironically, it also makes them more productive," he said.

"People work harder."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...tion-1.3867274

Those sorts of things sometimes have the opposite effect with employees being afraid to use even the legally mandates breaks and benefits. But if this company's employees actually take at least the standard vacation days, then good job.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It's opening up a little, especially as baby boomers (who are still in charge, really) want more flexible employment arrangements as they age. There's also a lot of pressure from young families struggling with child care, and of course innovations from Silicon Valley.

There are even a few examples in small markets, like ours:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...tion-1.3867274

Those sorts of things sometimes have the opposite effect with employees being afraid to use even the legally mandates breaks and benefits. But if this company's employees actually take at least the standard vacation days, then good job.
I understand that to be quite common in the USA, but thought it was much rarer in Canada. Am I wrong?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The short answer is maybe, but it depends on who your target demographic is. Most people who I know who are living in cities wouldn't want to live in a rural area. Many of them could be now if they wanted to.
I call this a circular argument. This is often because of dating options.

I.e. Both partners need to be independent from the economy.

Quote:
You are assuming people live in cities are there solely for employment reasons, whereas human civilization has always made its greatest advances within cities, which were prominent in the culture.
No I'm assuming simply that there will be more people moving to places smaller than 100k than will be moving to cities, big differences.

Quote:
You are making a false assumption that rural living is perceived as "better". Automation will not change many of the realities of rural living that much, probably not any more than it will change the realities of urban living. In short, rural living is boring and regressive.
And your equally making the assumption that city living is better.

When the reality is proof is in the economics.

When you factor in the dual income component its obvious that cities currently have a dual income component.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
http://www.cantechletter.com/2016/11...w-report-says/

Unless you have been living under a rock computer automation is taking over. Not just labor jobs but everything from drafting legal documents, to diagnosing people with disease.

Were fast gonna see a drastic reduction in the number of jobs required to operate our economy.

So when being on welfare becomes the norm do you think we might see a surge in people moving to rural canada.
Automation improves lives for Canadians. Just look at how automobile automation did so.

Rural Canada is being gutted, especially here in BC. My hometown used to have 70 students in the local school when I was there 20 years ago. Now there are like 12 students from K-9 (high school is 200 km away, and kids only come home on weekends). Same goes for Blue River, as CBC's The Current documented in their story about Kinder Morgan. School had 75 students 20 years ago, and now has 15. Almost all of rural BC is like this. Meanwhile, schools in Kelowna and other big cities are busting at the seams because automation and the internet age has led to centralization and urbanization.

This trend shows no signs of slowing or reversing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada