Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:16 PM
recession proof

You didn't get my Newfie humour?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
That's what you mean by Hunter boot? Oh, those aren't what's popular here at all. Hunter here is a brand name, not a boot style - Baffin Inc. doesn't cut it. And they're often very colourful and cute.

These are the ones I want, so bad.

http://www.hunterboots.com/mens-tall...ots/black/2126
Lol next the tron's are gonna tell us that the canada goose coat is an orginal style all its own and us provincials never seen something like that until they invented it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Your not a newfie therefore do not have the humour.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
No, unfortunately. I still don't get the joke? If you mean it'd be ridiculous to wear Hunters in downtown TO, then that would be what I'd've assumed but you mentioned they were popular. Unless that was the joke from the start? If so, yeah, you got me. I just assumed that was correct.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
This is a proper Hunter boot: http://www.tscstores.com/Hunter-Mens...x#.WEBYtlx8G-c

This is what I usually wear around Toronto: http://www.tscstores.com/Mens-Rqnger...x#.WEBY-lx8G-c

Did I mention TSC is my T(op)S(outhern)C(anada) store?
Is that a hipster thing? We all used to wear "rain boots" like that when I was a kid (strictly for rainy days/playing in puddles, never as a winter boot),

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's what you mean by Hunter boot? Oh, those aren't what's popular here at all. Hunter here is a brand name, not a boot style - Baffin Inc. doesn't cut it. And they're often very colourful and cute.

These are the ones I want, so bad.

http://www.hunterboots.com/mens-tall...ots/black/2126
Those are the kinds of boots my kids and their friends often wore in the fall and spring. When it's cool and wet but not snowy yet.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:26 PM
recession proof

I always wore "TSC wellies" aka red-soled rain boots as a kid. And mucking about on the farm. Now I wear them to look like a hipster. Hunter is a Scottish wellie brand that became over-played with the fashion crowd about 6-8 years ago, like Crocs, Burberry etc. Yawn. My parents wore them unironically in England c.1960s. I guess they've finally trickled down to the facebook suburbs of North America?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
This is a proper Hunter boot: http://www.tscstores.com/Hunter-Mens...x#.WEBYtlx8G-c

This is what I usually wear around Toronto: http://www.tscstores.com/Mens-Rqnger...x#.WEBY-lx8G-c

Did I mention TSC is my T(op)S(outhern)C(anada) store?
I have those second boots - I use them to work in the yard.

I don't know how you can wear them for too long. My feet hurt like hell after walking around in them for an hour or two.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:30 PM
recession proof

^I wear them 8-10 hours daily as part of my job. I triple work sock 'em + sole inserts. Mine are the steel-toed variety.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
I always wore "TSC wellies" aka red-soled rain boots as a kid. And mucking about on the farm. Now I wear them to look like a hipster. Hunter is a Scottish wellie brand that became over-played with the fashion crowd about 6-8 years ago, like Crocs, Burberry etc. Yawn. My parents wore them unironically in England c.1960s. I guess they've finally trickled down to the facebook suburbs of North America?
I'm not sure if your 6-8 year time frame pre-dates their arrival here. I only know from personal experience that they've definitely been popular here for 4-5 years. And they were so established here at that point I'd be surprised if they hadn't already been here a while before that.

The difference is they definitely have staying power here - probably because of the climate. You don't need another type of winter boot, and they work for spring and fall as well.

That rest, though - you really think Toronto is that far ahead? And influential? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything in fashion that came from Toronto. Is there any brand or style popular there that you think I couldn't get a picture of here?

These were the duckies that I had to wear growing up.

I shuddered Googling pictures of those.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:49 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

edit, delete

Last edited by Architype; Dec 2, 2016 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:50 PM
recession proof

I remember many kids wearing those boots in the late '80s. Also moon boots ha. (hope they make a hipster comeback.)

Toronto is not a fashionable city. Montreal is the place to be to see that crowd. Of course Hunter has staying power--it's become a huge international brand w/ marketing, boutiques etc.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, Montreal does exceptionally well - for Canada, at least. I can always tell in airports which seating area is for a flight to Montreal just by looking at the people.

Likewise for my own city, but under less fortunate circumstances (commuter workforce going to and from Alberta. Sneakers, Dad jeans, hideously-patterned polos, waterproof jackets, and baseball caps on the old guys; work boots, very dark or very light jeans, pastel graphic Ts, white sunglasses, and baseball caps on the young guys).

My favourite fashion city, though, is Dublin. I realize they're objectively awful at it (everyone I know here who could be described as even slightly preppy has mentioned how bad the fashion in Dublin is lol. I'm half expecting Ayreonaut or jeddy1989 to laugh at me for this post) but they speak to me. They have all the same generic current fashions, but the ways they build on that are the same as us - more texture, colour, and layers. They avoid polished, matched looks for something with a little more bargain bin, hippie ease. And there's always still a perfectly timed punch. They did really red lipstick, for example, at exactly the right time. And messy top buns were greatly timed there too. Everyone looks like they might've been on their knees in a bathroom stall 20 minutes previous and that's just what looks good to me.

And after that I'd choose London, which is similar in a lot of ways but has fewer fails in its experimentation and everything (EVERYTHING) is elevated. You also get the affluent influence, which is completely absent (and in some ways consciously avoided) in Dublin. They also have the best-looking basics.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Are you saying south as in "the US south" in terms of the local culture? Because that's not southern Ontario at all.
I'd agree for the most part, although I would argue that the twin* Southern Gothic/Southern Ontario Gothic traditions represent a pretty major exception. America's Timothy Findley and Alice Munro analogues don't come from Oregon or Ohio.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
I'd agree for the most part, although I would argue that the twin* Southern Gothic/Southern Ontario Gothic traditions represent a pretty major exception. America's Timothy Findley and Alice Munro analogues don't come from Oregon or Ohio.
I'm not sure where the american reference is coming from, I was actually thinking about south asia when I made the comment about southern canada. Was literally thinking about how Canada is a mirror image of Eurasia.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Likewise for my own city, but under less fortunate circumstances (commuter workforce going to and from Alberta. Sneakers, Dad jeans, hideously-patterned polos, waterproof jackets, and baseball caps on the old guys; work boots, very dark or very light jeans, pastel graphic Ts, white sunglasses, and baseball caps on the young guys).
I'm not sure if I should be offended.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:28 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Toronto is not a fashionable city. Montreal is the place to be to see that crowd. Of course Hunter has staying power--it's become a huge international brand w/ marketing, boutiques etc.

And are you saying that as a snappy dresser yourself, or are you just regurgitating 40 year old conventional wisdom (if it was ever even true...)? I don't think they're so different that a fashion-conscious person could visit both Montreal and Toronto and declare one to be "a fashionable city" and one to be not, whether based on the anecdotal street fashion or general clothing infrastructure.

In Toronto you'll see a bit more high fashion and streetwear; in Montreal you'll see a bit more "alternative" looks, but on the whole they're not much different - neither from each other nor most other western metropolises these days. Either one has plenty of cool shops and talented designers (though not many in either case with global reach), and associated "crowd" you'd expect. Neither has many rubber boots, if that's what you think is cool.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:48 AM

What would be the "point" of such a declaration?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 3:34 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah, Montreal does exceptionally well - for Canada, at least. I can always tell in airports which seating area is for a flight to Montreal just by looking at the people.

My favourite fashion city, though, is Dublin. I realize they're objectively awful at it (everyone I know here who could be described as even slightly preppy has mentioned how bad the fashion in Dublin is lol. I'm half expecting Ayreonaut or jeddy1989 to laugh at me for this post) but they speak to me. They have all the same generic current fashions, but the ways they build on that are the same as us - more texture, colour, and layers. They avoid polished, matched looks for something with a little more bargain bin, hippie ease. And there's always still a perfectly timed punch. They did really red lipstick, for example, at exactly the right time. And messy top buns were greatly timed there too. Everyone looks like they might've been on their knees in a bathroom stall 20 minutes previous and that's just what looks good to me.

And after that I'd choose London, which is similar in a lot of ways but has fewer fails in its experimentation and everything (EVERYTHING) is elevated. You also get the affluent influence, which is completely absent (and in some ways consciously avoided) in Dublin. They also have the best-looking basics.
I had a feeling you'd get killed for this post. You've gotten off lightly so far.

How does one measure fashionability anyway? It's just something you feel.

Kind of like when I compared the average politeness of Montrealers vs. Torontonians. You just... know. It can't be measured or proven.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
To answer the thread's title: Florida is Canada's south.
What about Cuba?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada