HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I think Arbutus or Dunbar/Alama is fine. That addresses Skytrain through the major bottleneck areas of Broadway. A decade or two later they can come back and extend it beyond that point to UBC. The partial extension probably has the biggest band for the buck and gets the extension completed a few years sooner.

Skytrain to Langley makes more sense that light rail.

If I am not mistaken, with the Evergreen extension I think Vancouver now has the most track of any metro system in Canada. Two more extensions will help keep that lead position.
Vancouver's system is bigger/longer than Toronto's? That doesn't seem right.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I will make no claims on how accurate or inaccurate Wikipedia is, however per Wikipedia it does appear Vancouver has more track than Toronto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_transit_in_Canada

The one difference is Vancouver uses two different technologies. The Expo and Millenium line have narrower cars. The Canada line is more conventional cars from a width perspective.

The Canada line is also the one that has a more conventional propulsion technology. The Expo and Millenium lines use linear induction motor technology. All the Vancouver lines are driverless.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I will make no claims on how accurate or inaccurate Wikipedia is, however per Wikipedia it does appear Vancouver has more track than Toronto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_transit_in_Canada

The one difference is Vancouver uses two different technologies. The Expo and Millenium line have narrower cars. The Canada line is more conventional cars from a width perspective.

The Canada line is also the one that has a more conventional propulsion technology. The Expo and Millenium lines use linear induction motor technology. All the Vancouver lines are driverless.
Yes, Wikipedia is correct in this case. Vancouver now has Canada's longest rapid transit system and will hold that lead even after the spadina extension is complete next year in Toronto. Montréal will dwarf both systems when its REM is complete however and will then have the largest true RT system in Canada.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 11:48 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Well longer, not sure I'd use the term bigger considering the difference in capacity, number/size of stations, etc. That seems to be a classic case of length vs girth.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:39 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar777 View Post
Yes, Wikipedia is correct in this case. Vancouver now has Canada's longest rapid transit system and will hold that lead even after the spadina extension is complete next year in Toronto. Montréal will dwarf both systems when its REM is complete however and will then have the largest true RT system in Canada.

Yes "true rt" but don't think an electrification of the GO/RER/UPX won't be a massive improvement for those transit riders in the GTA. Because of the extensive rail network in and out of Toronto which Metrolinx slowly and surely purchased the impact will be far reaching for neighborhoods even in the "416" inner suburbs.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Yes "true rt" but don't think an electrification of the GO/RER/UPX won't be a massive improvement for those transit riders in the GTA. Because of the extensive rail network in and out of Toronto which Metrolinx slowly and surely purchased the impact will be far reaching for neighborhoods even in the "416" inner suburbs.
Access to the central core in Toronto for my parents' old place in Mississauga will be comparable to when I lived near Sherbourne in what many would still consider downtown.

It will be pretty transformative.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 12:12 PM

An update of the Metrotown station upgrade in Burnaby.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 1:18 PM
gettin' rich!

What the hell? Snow in Vancouver? In December? What's wrong with you guys? Lol.

Anyways thanks for the update.

In Toronto, they are beginning site clearing at Eglinton Station to extract the tunnel boring machines. Also it looks as though excavation work is being on a new station building on Eglinton as a entrance to the underground LRT /Subway/ and Yonge-Eglinton mini PATH network.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 3:41 PM
More transit please

Quote:

In Toronto, they are beginning site clearing at Eglinton Station to extract the tunnel boring machines. Also it looks as though excavation work is being on a new station building on Eglinton as a entrance to the underground LRT /Subway/ and Yonge-Eglinton mini PATH network.
Do you have a link/pictures?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 4:59 PM
gettin' rich!

The larger site is for the extraction of the TBM(tunnel boring machines) The smaller site is the new entrance to the subway and underground LRT station.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads...nx-m-1s.26480/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 9:56 PM

Quote:

I'm in as much shock as you are haha.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 4:48 PM
gettin' rich!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:16 PM

I checked out the new Evergreen Line a few days ago. It's a great ride with spectacular views.

A few pics of Coquitlam Central Station.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 8:14 PM

What's next for Vancouver?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 11:10 PM

i think the millennium line extension that will run along broadway to Arbutus eventually one day to UBC. It will provide a connection for people to get to the Canada line at cambie.

Also in the works is something for Surrey if they can figure that out

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i think the millennium line extension that will run along broadway to Arbutus eventually one day to UBC. It will provide a connection for people to get to the Canada line at cambie.

Also in the works is something for Surrey if they can figure that out
From what I gather both projects are in the relatively distant future as neither are funded.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 6:28 AM

yup, many years away.

After that at some point there is an extension that will go to port coquitlam from the evergreen extension, they already have the track spur constructed.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 6:45 AM

Vancouver's Millenium and now Evergreen Lines have done an excellent job at incorporating wood into their designs. The wood gives the station a more intimate feel and feel less utilitarian and look less sterile. When you are in one of the stations you don't feel like you are in a glorified concrete bus stop. It's actually quite inexpensive to do but adds some humanity and intimacy to the station. Congratulations to Vancouver for acknowledging that a station doesn't have cost a fortune {ie Spadina extension} to be attractive and inviting.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Vancouver's Millenium and now Evergreen Lines have done an excellent job at incorporating wood into their designs. The wood gives the station a more intimate feel and feel less utilitarian and look less sterile. When you are in one of the stations you don't feel like you are in a glorified concrete bus stop. It's actually quite inexpensive to do but adds some humanity and intimacy to the station. Congratulations to Vancouver for acknowledging that a station doesn't have cost a fortune {ie Spadina extension} to be attractive and inviting.
Looks great. They are beautiful stations. Laminated beams add to the warmth.

On the west coast wood is a staple building material and intrinsic to a "west coast" building style. I wonder it would go over well in other parts of the country or it would look out of place.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
From what I gather both projects are in the relatively distant future as neither are funded.
Provincial and Federal funding is in place, the approval of phase one for the 10 year plan has allowed both projects to enter detailed design phases, if phase 2 of the 10 year plan is approved both projects (and especially the Broadway Extension) will commence construction in 2018.

So not what I would consider the distant future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada