HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Regarding the confirmed new Anglophone middle school for the northwest end:

- will be completed by September 2019.
- there are still 4-5 potential sites for the school under consideration.
- the DEC has been asked if a three storey design would be acceptable, presumably indicating that at least one of the proposed sites for the school might be undersized.
- all of the proposed sites are within city limits in the northwest section of the city.
- land purchase will be complete by next spring.
- the school is planned to accommodate 670 students.
Any idea where any of the locations might be?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 12:49 AM

Every time I drive by the new NB Liquor store on Mountain Road, I'm flabbergasted. How could a Council or Planning Board authorize this thing is beyond me. This structure belongs in an industrial park or business park. If it tried to be more ''urban'' with its zero setback it has failed miserably, because now its ugliness is even more obvious up front. Even if it's suburban in style the Jean Coutu across the street is more appropriate for the area. There is a difference between being suburban and bluntly industrial. Just awful.
I also saw that they built one of these atrocious thing in uptown SJ. End of rant.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 12:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The peculiar thing is that the front of the store faces the parking lot to the back of the building, so it's the ass end of the liquor store that faces Mountain Road.

I agree - things could have been done better........

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 12:54 AM

I agree. That is an ugly bland building for that area. The Gray colour scheme that NB Liquor is going for lately does NOT match well with it; the brown/yellows it had before were a lot better. It may have zero set back, but it also has zero sidewalk presence. If they had put an angled entrance on the corner maybe and some windows it would've been a lot better (even with the gray colours).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 2:18 AM

Quote:

The peculiar thing is that the front of the store faces the parking lot to the back of the building, so it's the ass end of the liquor store that faces Mountain Road.

I agree - things could have been done better........
I agree it does look ugly. But the entrance is in the back corner of the building for a good reason. If it was in the front corner customers would be parked right by the stop light. Thus cars would be backing out of parking spaces and blocking incoming cars. Possibly causing accidents or cars hanging out into traffic on Mountain Road.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
I agree it does look ugly. But the entrance is in the back corner of the building for a good reason. If it was in the front corner customers would be parked right by the stop light. Thus cars would be backing out of parking spaces and blocking incoming cars. Possibly causing accidents or cars hanging out into traffic on Mountain Road.

What astounds me is why they did not put an actual street at the lights to the trailer park. instead there is a misaligned street entrance like 40ft from the lights. The whole north end is like a lesson of what not to do in urban planning. They have not seemed to have learned anything from their mistakes. If they ever connect twin oaks to horstman it might help.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 10:02 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Truthfully they could have done something like boston pizza where the entrance was on the road side with parking behind/side. Maybe somehow hook up to the tim hortons. I agree the whole intersection could have been ALOT better thought out.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 11:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
What astounds me is why they did not put an actual street at the lights to the trailer park. instead there is a misaligned street entrance like 40ft from the lights.
Personally I don't think the trailer park will still be there in 5-10 years time. The city has grown around the park, and usually trailer parks are located on the fringe of a city. I predict it will be relocated, with a more traditional subdivision put in it's place, and this will be done at about the same time they finally connect Glencairn & Mailhot Avenues.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 1:25 AM
Our Tide is Rising

I agree during the day the facade leaves much to be desired...but to bring a small positive spin...

1. Small setback is appreciated
2. With lighting effects it looks MUCH better at night

Still not enough to redeem the design unfortunately

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Personally I don't think the trailer park will still be there in 5-10 years time. The city has grown around the park, and usually trailer parks are located on the fringe of a city. I predict it will be relocated, with a more traditional subdivision put in it's place, and this will be done at about the same time they finally connect Glencairn & Mailhot Avenues.
Well there was an attempt by the owners of the trailer park to sell the land south of Glencairn Drive/Mailhot Avenue (Still a part of the trailer park but would have been issued it's own PID/PID's). In the hopes Someone would purchase the area for a new housing development since they could not get permission to expand the park Despite owning the land from what I had heard anyway.

There was also a rumor a while back that they attempted to purchase an old (Seized) Trailer park that was no longer in use, and sell off the entire land to a developer to potentially build a neighborhood (Should really be considered as a part of but government wording says if more then one home is built it is considered a neighborhood).

Last edited by Scarface; Dec 8, 2016 at 9:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 5:02 PM

There's a local restaurant owner who is close to closing a lease on the former NB liquor location at Valhalla Place. I can't say which restaurant until it is made official but it would be their 2nd location in Greater Moncton.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 5:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good to hear. That would be a nice spot for a restaurant. It will be good to have Valhalla Place back to 100% occupancy. I've always liked that retail strip.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:13 AM

Does anyone know if anything has happened to the Hollis Wealth Sports Dome?? The parking lot has been blocked off for a few days and the paintball trailer front door is boarded up.

Also, talked to a Salvation Army employee and it is scheduled to open in mid January. Repairs from the fire, smoke damage and the firefighters water caused too much damage.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if anything has happened to the Hollis Wealth Sports Dome?? The parking lot has been blocked off for a few days and the paintball trailer front door is boarded up.
Yup electrical fire a few nights ago

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:07 AM

Quote:
There was a fire in the office

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/fire-at-m...care-1.3190746

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 6:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Government press release confirms funding for a new Anglophone middle school in Moncton north.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/ne...6.12.1206.html

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 7:29 PM

Any word on the restaurant where the old NB Liquor was? I noticed the leasing signs are gone and were replaced with paper in the windows but no indication of what's going in.

Based on the previous post, I was thinking maybe Rossano's?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 9:47 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Any word on the restaurant where the old NB Liquor was? I noticed the leasing signs are gone and were replaced with paper in the windows but no indication of what's going in.

Based on the previous post, I was thinking maybe Rossano's?
I could really see Sports Rock or maybe even "KFC/Taco Bell" setting up shop there, there is less competition from that type of business in that area than their current one.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
I could really see Sports Rock or maybe even "KFC/Taco Bell" setting up shop there, there is less competition from that type of business in that area than their current one.
It will be a Sports Rock confirmed by someone who works at the Dieppe location

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 12:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would have been happier with Rossano's, but whatever. I'm just happy to see that the space will be filled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces