HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Which of the 5 finalists for Milwaukee new city flag is your favorite?
Three Rivers 11 15.49%
"M" Star 38 53.52%
Golden Arrow 7 9.86%
"Cream City" Star 6 8.45%
Sunrise Over The Lake 9 12.68%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 1:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

MILWAUKEE: vote for the city's new flag

as we all know, the current milwaukee city flag is a disaster of design. they threw everything at the flag to see what would stick and, apparently, everything stuck.

bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad:

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Milwaukee

so a group of civic-minded milwaukeeans sponsored a campaign to have a contest to design a new flag for the city. they received hundreds of entries and have now winnowed them down to five finalists and have released them to the public. none of this is technically official yet, but there's speculation the city council may hold a vote on whether or not to adopt whichever finalist ends up winning as the city's new official flag.

so, which one is your favorite?

Three Rivers
Milwaukee’s three rivers flow from the land into the lake, with a large disc representing the city united and our brewing history.

source: http://radiomilwaukee.org/story/mkeflag-design-contest/

"M" Star
Four “M”s connect to form a cream-colored star representing Milwaukee on the blue lake, its Native American roots, and symbolizing the city’s bright future.

Golden Arrow
Milwaukee’s past, present, and future, moving in a positive direction, symbolized through its rivers, brewing history, and the lake, with white echoing the art museum.

"Cream City" Star
The green symbolizes our commitment to preserving our city's natural beauty and the blue represents our lifeblood of Lake Michigan, coming together in the cream-city of Milwaukee - represented in the 6-pointed star that symbolizes the 3 original sections of the city and its 3 rivers.

Sunrise Over The Lake
The sun rising over Lake Michigan symbolizes a new day. The blue bars in its reflections represent the city’s three rivers and founders.

if you like, you can rate each of the 5 finalists on a scale of 1-10 at the official website of the new flag contest:

https://docs.google.com/a/behlesbehl...requested=true

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 16, 2016 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 2:31 PM

Maybe a flag that features a bottle of beer in it.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 2:35 PM

Sunrise on the lake looks like a generic retirement home Florida flag that was designed in the 80s. Anything but that one. But I like both of the stars, with a nod towards the M star because it's more memorable as an outsider.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:01 PM

Sunrise Over the Lake looks like an inverted Obama logo with different colors.

I'm partial to Three Rivers and "Cream City" Star.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:02 PM
The City

M star takes the cake

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:02 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

ugh. come on milwaukee.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:26 PM
All man. Half nuts.

hmmm.

none of them really trip my trigger. the three rivers idea is okay, but not really "milwaukee-unique".

a shame none of them play off the bridge wars that resulted in the downtown bridges being at different wonky angles.

i voted for the M-star. needs more beer, though.

maybe they should just have a flag with a picture of alice cooper and this quote:

Quote:
Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?
Alice Cooper: Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers were coming here as early as the late 1600s to trade with the Native Americans.
Pete: In fact, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?
Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

my take:

Three Rivers: way too literal. flags should be symbolic, but they shouldn't be stylized maps of physical geography, and this flag shows why.

"M" Star: my favorite of the bunch. it's not brilliant, but it's simple and gets the job done. that's a flag i wouldn't mind see proudly flying on buildings all over downtown milwaukee.

Golden Arrow: it's not a bad design, just a bit on the generic side. it just doesn't really "feel" like milwaukee to me, whatever that means.

"Cream City" Star: it's alright i guess, but given the prominence that 6-pointed stars have on chicago's flag (and the history of milwaukee being perennially in chicago's shadow), it'd probably be better to pick a different symbol for milwaukee's flag.

Sunrise Over The Lake: "a generic retirement home in Florida flag that was designed in the 80s" sums it up perfectly, LOL! i really, really hope they choose one of the other 4 designs.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

M-Star. the rest are just wretched poo.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:45 PM

Hands down the Golden Arrow one. The colors are awesome and it would look great on merchandise. It has a 'coolness' to it similar to the Chicago, Colorado, and Amsterdam flags.

I don't get the whole 'cream' thing... it's a terrible color for a flag.. it makes it look old and faded even when its brand new. The 'M'-star one with white instead of cream would be my 2nd choice, and I'll admit the design may be more timeless than Golden Arrow.. but it's less cool.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:29 PM

Wow, Milwaukee's current flag is really ugly. Almost any of those are better. l like the three rivers the most. Voted accordingly.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:17 PM
Meh

Modern flags are too simplistic and unimaginative.

I like their current one, but maybe with a little less excitement. And really, a polluting factory and a red-skinned Indian chief?

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Modern flags are too simplistic
uhhh, all good flags, throughout history, have been simplistic. it's the very most basic point of good flag design. it's not a modern notion at all.

flags are intended to be seen and recognized from a distance, not up close under careful inspection, so they need to be simple and bold to be effective.

highly intricate and jumbled designs with literal imagery and lettering (such as milwaukee's current mess of a flag) are the very antithesis of what a good flag should be.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 8:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

three rivers, golden arrow, and sunrise over lake are extremely bad. the current flag is a kitchen sink.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 8:57 PM
arf

I'm pretty surprised that none of them are really bad. Most are pretty bland, but nothing to actually be offended by. The M-star has a fairly unique symbol on it so it might stand out the best in a lineup of flags.

I don't think flags and nicknames or slogans belong with cities. The identity of a city exists because the city exists not because you say, land of beer or infinite horizons or big turd.

Smaller cities waste way too much time and money on this kind of useless branding/rebranding. Want to do something special? Every time you want to spend a few million reprinting stuff because you redesigned something, clean up the city, plant more trees, build more bikelanes. Fund the local arts group to put plays on in the park during the summer and stop prrinting the old flag on things. Just name the city. Milwaukee has a great name and a great heritage of beer and Laverne and Shirley.

The best advertisement for your city is happy and productive people in your city. Work with that.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 9:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Smaller cities waste way too much time and money on this kind of useless branding/rebranding.
Agreed.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 9:07 PM

Sunrise Over the Lake flag

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker here for awhile.

I'm honored to have been chosen as one of the finalists. There were so many great submissions. My flag is "Sunrise Over the Lake". Things like this are subjective, and you're all entitled to your opinions. That being said, I hope you'll take some time to check out this site I created, which explains the meaning behind my design.

http://robertlenz.com/mkeflag

Regardless of which design ends up winning, I'm very excited about the possibility of the new flag being officially adopted. The current flag is a mess, and any of the finalists would be better than what we currently have.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 9:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I don't think flags and nicknames or slogans belong with cities.
i disagree with that one million billion trillion percent. flags can be a huge point of civic pride. just look at the way the citizenry of chicago embraces and celebrates its flag.

i'm of the opinion that a little civic pride is a good thing. it means people actually give a bit of a shit about where they live, warts and wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Smaller cities waste way too much time and money on this kind of useless branding/rebranding.
the city of milwaukee hasn't spent a single red cent on this effort to get the city a new flag. this initiative is run by private citizens. the hope is that when a final winner has been chosen, they might be able to cajole the powers that be in city government to adopt the new flag to put the embarrassment of the current flag behind them.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 16, 2016 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 9:23 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

All of them are terrible.......

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 9:47 PM
cities|transit|croissants

3 Rivers is awkward, but the rest are all good flags. Any of them are better than the current one.

And ditto to everything Steely Dan said about how good flags are supposed to be simple.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions