HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 1:48 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The street my late grandmother's house was on (my cousin lives there currently) is in the South Manchaca neighborhood. The short cul-de-sac already has at least 3 lots that have 2nd houses built in their backyards. They had to pave over more of the front yards and beside the houses in order to have some parking. If not, then there are too many cars on a narrow street.

I really don't like it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Our long time neighbor passed away last year, the house is being renovated and a second house will be added to the lot. It's a corner lot so the driveway will be on that street. I don't mind the added density in this neighborhood as long as the added housing within the core of the neighborhood matches with the surrounding architecture.

Just did the survey, thanks for posting.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 4:41 AM

Has anyone heard of this proposed project in 78745?

St. Elmo's Market, South Austin

Quote:
St. Elmo’s Market will renovate and existing 45,000 square foot warehouse into a mixed use market. 450-650 apartment units and hotel will accompany the existing retail building. The area is currently in a rezone process to allow mixed use development within the South Congress Combined Neighborhood Plan.

I remember there was a proposed project for the site of the former St. Elmo-tel called South Urban Lofts, but I believe that project was cancelled. Is this that same piece of property? I noticed that a St. Elmo Hotel is in the renderings.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 4:51 AM

Does that warehouse looking building exist today and is it occupied? And why are there snipers on the roof of that building on the left?

Last edited by the Genral; Jun 3, 2014 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Does that warehouse looking building exist today and is it occupied?
The description says "St. Elmo’s Market will renovate and [sic] existing 45,000 square foot warehouse into a mixed use market." If it didn't exist, there wouldn't be anything to renovate.

I don't know if it's currently occupied, though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:41 AM
Meh

That's the first I've heard of that one, though, I do remember the South Urban Lofts project. I believe they got approval for 75 feet for that lot.

The address is 4361 South Congress. They requested an extension last November.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11049208

Streetview
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2182...UWdijxPl1w!2e0

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 5:51 AM
Meh

Here's another one for 78745. I think we've posted about it before, but it's been a while.

5100 South Congress - this is planned for a vacant lot near Ramble Lane about a half mile north of Stassney Lane.

5100 South Congress. The building elevations are listed. The tallest building is shown as 54 feet with 4 floors.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10863945

Streetview
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2095...l6NIIEOovg!2e0

I'm hoping they work on the street through there. That stretch of South Congress can be scary at times.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 7:09 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Here's another one for 78745. I think we've posted about it before, but it's been a while.

5100 South Congress - this is planned for a vacant lot near Ramble Lane about a half mile north of Stassney Lane.

5100 South Congress. The building elevations are listed. The tallest building is shown as 54 feet with 4 floors.

I'm hoping they work on the street through there. That stretch of South Congress can be scary at times.
That's for sure! Scary as in you might get run over and be forgotten about, yes. What's struck me the most though about South Congress once you travel south of Ben White is how incredibly boring it is. Since moving down I've been staying with a friend on Stassney off of South 1st and I do not understand the appeal of the area at all. If Austin is growing at as rapid a clip as the statistics say, denser urban construction should be the norm throughout. Count me as hoping these projects will be built and serve as a catalyst for change in the greater area.

Tomorrow I move to my permanent new home on East Oltorf

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 12:41 AM
Meh

My family has been in this area since the early 60s back when there truly wasn't anything around. I still prefer it to North Austin, but I do agree it is pretty boring compared to even areas along Congress just north of Ben White. It has potential, though. So much of it is badly underused.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 8:17 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It was only a matter of time before developers would come to our area and now that they have, things are about to get very interesting. Any empty lots in my area are either on the maket for sale or have already been bought. New townhouses are being built 4 blocks from my house. More are on the way. Has anyone taken a drive down Bluebonnet to Clawson and up Clawsom to Fortview lately. Every (and I mean every) piece of empty land is now being developed and its all happening at once. Now all eyes are looking across Ben White to my hood, areas down St. Elmo, to Stassney west to Manchaca. We are next in line.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 6:00 PM

I think the area adjacent to S. Congress between Ben White and Wm. Cannon has huge potential. It is underdeveloped and provides a straight shot to SOCO and downtown. This means there are good transit options among other things. I am actually surprised it has taken this long for the area to start seeing real development.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 6:15 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've actually heard that the southern part of Congress (south of William Cannon) is about to see some big growth. It's just a bunch of junkyards now. Those can be easily scraped clean and developed quickly. That HEB getting built would help accelerate that, I think.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 2:55 AM
Everywhere all at once

Where exactly is the HEB being built again?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 2:58 AM
Meh

Way down South Congress at the corner of Slaughter. I hate that intersection. My brother and his wife just bought a house at the end of Slaughter Lane, so it looks like we'll be dealing with that intersection for years to come.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 3:04 AM
Everywhere all at once

Gotcha. Yeah that's another area that I would love to see some new dense residential construction, a la Domain or South Shore District. Southpark Meadows has already become such a major node of activity in South Austin it could certainly serve as a town center of the area in more ways than one. Especially considering how difficult that shopping center is to navigate as of right now. I could just imagine overlaying an actual street grid through those parking lots and building some new residential buildings within.

Also, if I had my way I would think it smart to build some more overpasses crossing to the far I-35 service road along the center, so that all the SPM traffic didn't have to empty out onto Slaughter...not to mention the fact that if you want to go north out of the shopping center, your only option is to navigate the parking lots or take the rear entry road, which itself is hard to find.

...I've thought for a while, since the first time ever driving through the area a few months ago that the huge warehouse area around Industrial Boulevard and Terry O Lane (not far from the St. Elmo project) could be a great area for a new Warehouse District of nightspots, restaurants and dense residential, especially as the original Warehouse District downtown has been hemmed in by new development to the point that it's really only the one block of 4th between Colorado and Lavaca.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:21 PM

From what I can gather, NIMBYs nixed most of the infill options on the South Austin Combined Neighborhood Plan. Hopefully at least they still allowed for VMU on main roads and 'town center' type developments to replace strip malls.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:39 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
From what I can gather, NIMBYs nixed most of the infill options on the South Austin Combined Neighborhood Plan. Hopefully at least they still allowed for VMU on main roads and 'town center' type developments to replace strip malls.
What I do not understand is this plan has been in the works for awhile now with plenty of NA involvement and we voted for the draft which did get majority in favor of so what in the world happened recently? Are they against people being able to add on to their lots??? I hate to break it to them or I should say love LOL, but people are building multiple houses on their lots now. In a month, 2 new houses will be constructed on the property next door to mine. It is a corner lot so the original home faces my street but the 2 new houses will be facing the side road. Last I heard it was a go and construction on both homes will start within a month.

I do not understand why people are so against having a comprehensive growth plan. It makes more sense than no plan at all.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 10:12 PM

Confess, this house belongs to someone from this thread, doesn't it?

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/inves...tion/15701003/

Quote:
"It's always trashy. There's always shady people kinda hanging out there," said Leann Land, president of her South Austin neighborhood association.
Quote:
The thorn in the neighborhood is 4510 Tejas Trail. Land and her neighbors call it the "House from Hell."
Quote:
In 2005, the KVUE Defenders found Land and other neighbors having a hard time closing down an illegal sex party business out of the same home.

City code eventually shut the sex parties down after months of complaints.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:42 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Lmao, it's not anyone on this thread. Some Lady owns the house. The house is in the Western Trails Neighborhood. The same one with all the anti-South Austin Combined Neighborhood plan signs.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Has anyone heard of this proposed project in 78745?

St. Elmo's Market, South Austin

I remember there was a proposed project for the site of the former St. Elmo-tel called South Urban Lofts, but I believe that project was cancelled. Is this that same piece of property? I noticed that a St. Elmo Hotel is in the renderings.
Looks like this is a step closer to getting done.

From the Austin Business Journal
Developer fired up about South Austin St. Elmo's Market and Lofts proposal
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all

Snip:
Quote:
An ambitious plan to create a destination marketplace, music venue, hotel and condo development on South Congress Avenue took a step forward with the recent blessing of the Austin Planning Commission.
The proposed St. Elmo’s Market and Lofts project will be debated by the Austin City Council some time in October, but the developer — GroundFloor Development — is hopeful for final approval by Nov. 1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin