HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

3 Civic Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
There's a much bigger relative density of white trash in Surrey Central, specifically around the mall and bus loop.

Like I said, Yaletown probably has more homeless.

And I don't think they're working class in Surrey. More like teen mom welfare queens.
Because you can tell that by looking at someone for 20 seconds on the street.

Seriously can we all try to stop the self-perpetuating ignorance? Maybe I'm asking the impossible.

*sigh*

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Because you can tell that by looking at someone for 20 seconds on the street.

Seriously can we all try to stop the self-perpetuating ignorance? Maybe I'm asking the impossible.

*sigh*
Sometmes you can't judge a book by it's cover, and sometimes you can. The amount of times I've watched young moms feeding their dirty kids junk food at the mall and guys dressed like Vanilla Ice (good call from another poster) walking around acting tough, I can't count. The ignorance and lack of class makes me roll my eyes, and I've watched them treat people like crap (racism), which is my other problem.

Honestly I don't care what you are like if you are leaving other people alone and not treating them like shit.

As a parent, it's painful to watch people raise their kids in such an ignorant and irresponsible fashion. I feel sorry for those kids.

And then there are guys like Vin and others on here, who constantly rag on Vancouver for having homeless people, and Gregor/Vision for not eliminating the homeless like they promised. But Vancouver and Gregor focus more of their time on the problem than any other mayor in the region, and despite the constant increase in homeless, they have built tons more housing for them.

One thing will never change, and that's the rapid defense of Surrey whenever anybody questions it's future...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I'd strongly suggest you travel further than the borders of Metro Vancouver especially to other major cities in Canada and the US before you call the area around 3 Civic a slum. Your Caucasian-Canadian privileged 1%er blood is showing unfortunately. I also definitely didn't walk by 20+ homeless people sleeping in sleeping bags wrapped in Saran wrap on Friday while walking from the Keg in Yaletown to the Queen Elizabeth theatre. No definitely that didn't happen since clearly Yaletown isn't a slum, Surrey central is...
Just because other cities have issues with underprivileged people committing acts of petty violence, perhaps to a greater or lesser degree, does not excuse Surrey from also being defined as anything but a utopia. Acting like you have the moral high ground and being a Surrey apologist is starting to become obvious. You are not the only one who has a pulse on Surrey, and unless you have had negative experiences in Central City, you cannot add fair assessments to such situations, making that your greatest weakness.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Just because other cities have issues with underprivileged people committing acts of petty violence, perhaps to a greater or lesser degree, does not excuse Surrey from also being defined as anything but a utopia. Acting like you have the moral high ground and being a Surrey apologist is starting to become obvious. You are not the only one who has a pulse on Surrey, and unless you have had negative experiences in Central City, you cannot add fair assessments to such situations, making that your greatest weakness.

Tough slogging through all the double negatives. I got the gist, but can't really see your point.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Sometmes you can't judge a book by it's cover, and sometimes you can. The amount of times I've watched young moms feeding their dirty kids junk food at the mall and guys dressed like Vanilla Ice (good call from another poster) walking around acting tough, I can't count. The ignorance and lack of class makes me roll my eyes, and I've watched them treat people like crap (racism), which is my other problem.

Honestly I don't care what you are like if you are leaving other people alone and not treating them like shit.

As a parent, it's painful to watch people raise their kids in such an ignorant and irresponsible fashion. I feel sorry for those kids.

And then there are guys like Vin and others on here, who constantly rag on Vancouver for having homeless people, and Gregor/Vision for not eliminating the homeless like they promised. But Vancouver and Gregor focus more of their time on the problem than any other mayor in the region, and despite the constant increase in homeless, they have built tons more housing for them.
Ok, I'm going to shock you, but I do actually agree with a lot of what you're saying, (even though your greater point is quite partisan). Poor people, people on welfare and the homeless deserve food, shelter, medical care and society's understanding. However, being poor or homeless does not give people the right to make asses of themselves in public spaces. Some time back I witnessed a man with absolutely filthy clothes and oozing facial sores board a crowded sky train during rush hour and squeeze and rub past well dressed/well scrubbed office commuters. I realize this guy was probably a homeless meth addict with a tough life, but his actions and the look on his face basically stated to other commuters, I don't really care if you're going to have to go home and burn your clothes, not my problem, tough shit. Each and every passenger in the compartment deferred to this guy, a woman even giving up her seat, when he leaned up against her shoulder. That's just how most people react in Greater Vancouver, they defer to the poor or homeless who behave obnoxiously in public. Now obviously this guy wasn't representative of each and every poor person, but he was certainly representative of a lot. For all the lip service liberal Greater Vancouverites pay about standing up for the homeless, many do their utmost to avoid any and all contact, and really who can blame them. And then you have certain municipalities who actively discourage the homeless from setting foot in their boundaries (think West Vancouver and Burnaby) but when their city councillors or bigwigs from these same places are in front of the media, they lay it on thick with usual liberal claptrap about how we all have to come together to help the poor. Hypocrisy at its finest!! So the point I'm trying to make is that quality of life for Greater Vancouver citizens will not improve with just more infrastructure for cities and more money for the poor, it also requires a sea change in the behaviours of the urban poor, including but not limited to putting an end to littering public spaces with urine and used needles.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 11:51 PM

Today:

mine.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 1:40 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
Ok, I'm going to shock you, but I do actually agree with a lot of what you're saying, (even though your greater point is quite partisan). Poor people, people on welfare and the homeless deserve food, shelter, medical care and society's understanding. However, being poor or homeless does not give people the right to make asses of themselves in public spaces. Some time back I witnessed a man with absolutely filthy clothes and oozing facial sores board a crowded sky train during rush hour and squeeze and rub past well dressed/well scrubbed office commuters. I realize this guy was probably a homeless meth addict with a tough life, but his actions and the look on his face basically stated to other commuters, I don't really care if you're going to have to go home and burn your clothes, not my problem, tough shit. Each and every passenger in the compartment deferred to this guy, a woman even giving up her seat, when he leaned up against her shoulder. That's just how most people react in Greater Vancouver, they defer to the poor or homeless who behave obnoxiously in public. Now obviously this guy wasn't representative of each and every poor person, but he was certainly representative of a lot. For all the lip service liberal Greater Vancouverites pay about standing up for the homeless, many do their utmost to avoid any and all contact, and really who can blame them. And then you have certain municipalities who actively discourage the homeless from setting foot in their boundaries (think West Vancouver and Burnaby) but when their city councillors or bigwigs from these same places are in front of the media, they lay it on thick with usual liberal claptrap about how we all have to come together to help the poor. Hypocrisy at its finest!! So the point I'm trying to make is that quality of life for Greater Vancouver citizens will not improve with just more infrastructure for cities and more money for the poor, it also requires a sea change in the behaviours of the urban poor, including but not limited to putting an end to littering public spaces with urine and used needles.
What you say 'sounds reasonable,' but is it? No, it isn't. Your last sentence had me laughing - a sea change in behaviours by the urban poor. Before I comment, you need to think a bit. Do not ignore that these issues have been with humankind since the beginning of our time. Every nation, every government, every community, throughout all of history has fought the fight against their own subgroups of crazy dysfunctional people - neighbours, friends, strangers, parents, bosses, leaders, children - a struggle that will never cease and will never be 'solved.' There is no fix, never has been, never will be. Instead, it is an ongoing care-based effort (that we are not doing too well at) that is aimed at a varied population, a not insignificant portion of whom needs intensive assistance through-out their entire lives. And some will always be virtually unhelpable. Its all part of us as a species; no different than any form of disability or lack of capacity. And, in the face of this, you want their manners improved? Good luck! Get down there and see if you can figure out how that might be done.

Last edited by Marshal; Apr 8, 2017 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:45 AM

They tweeted a photo from an east-facing unit: https://twitter.com/3CivicPlaza/stat...17461619539968

And a photo of them making the hotel logo: https://twitter.com/3CivicPlaza/stat...61272727879680

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:52 AM

From Urban Surrey Instagram. Shot from Kwantlen Park.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 7:53 PM

April 7

2 floors to go (Sky Townhouse levels) + 2 storey mechanical.

Given the pace of 2 floors (or less per month). Should top out sometime in May or June at latest.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 6:46 PM

^Nice pic, Shift.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 7:19 PM

Have they started putting on the lower level balconies?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhJay View Post
Have they started putting on the lower level balconies?
You mean the railings?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 9:45 PM

Drive down King George from 80 Ave to 84 Ave on a clear day and this will look freakishly tall.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 12:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Drive down King George from 80 Ave to 84 Ave on a clear day and this will look freakishly tall.
It looks freakishly tall (from a distance) driving around the RCH area in New West. I am also impressed with the Brentwood skyline driving on Highway 1 or traveling on the skytrain heading to Metro Town (itself looking tall).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 12:12 AM

Here is an image from a few days ago.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 3:46 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Yes. It already does from the north (north of the river). This project is only contributing one brick to the wall of the new Surrey, but it has, all by itself, transformed the skyline dramatically.

(Sorry, Caliplanner1, I didn't read your post before 'jumping to respond.') I know what you mean on all counts - the experience of the city is radically changing all over the place. I drove along Marine yesterday and the scale/density of the construction along the river is another case in point. Two years from a wooded area at the bottom of Boundary to BAM!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 11:49 PM

Hotel logo being painted:

https://www.facebook.com/3CivicPlaza...1230084221072/

This post says it'll be installed at the TOP of the tower (550 ft up it says):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRe503Uh...ken-by=tdhxfab

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:55 AM

^Nice. Looks sharp.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Hotel logo being painted:

https://www.facebook.com/3CivicPlaza...1230084221072/

This post says it'll be installed at the TOP of the tower (550 ft up it says):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRe503Uh...ken-by=tdhxfab
A sign above 450ft?? How will Surrey residents ever survive!?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley