HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It seems like what was originally planned as a significant education/live & work hub has partially unraveled. I'm sure ACC will continue to be the driving force for Highland's redevelopment but it's become less clear on what the area will ultimately become.
Huge wasted opportunity. Highland is location, location, location. The general area around there mostly on the east side of Airport for half a mile or more in either direction from Highland is ripe for denser development. It is well connected with the regional highway system and likely to be at the heart of future rail development. Why aren't the city and the county working together to create a master plan for the ENTIRE AREA that would encourage all manner of private development? ACC should simply be a component in a larger master plan. It should not be guiding outcomes for the area.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
It seems like what was originally planned as a significant education/live & work hub has partially unraveled. I'm sure ACC will continue to be the driving force for Highland's redevelopment but it's become less clear on what the area will ultimately become.
I don't think it's nearly that bad.

Rackspace was only ever going to be one of several office buildings on site. It's actually probably better this way, rather than getting most of the way to finishing the building and _then_ have them start laying people off (which they've started)

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...ures-as-a.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Wait... why do you say it seems like that?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 2:22 AM

I don't see how this really changes anything. It is too bad Rackspace won't be happening, but the City building will probably more than make up for the employment count. The first apartment building is going up at Highland, and there is affordable housing proposed for the County property further south on Airport.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 9:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Huge wasted opportunity. Highland is location, location, location. The general area around there mostly on the east side of Airport for half a mile or more in either direction from Highland is ripe for denser development. It is well connected with the regional highway system and likely to be at the heart of future rail development. Why aren't the city and the county working together to create a master plan for the ENTIRE AREA that would encourage all manner of private development? ACC should simply be a component in a larger master plan. It should not be guiding outcomes for the area.
I agree with your assessment in that it can and should be much more than what it is.

When I say it seems, I mean that as I recently drove by the area for the first time in a few months, it looks pretty drab and empty. Last time I was in the area there was more construction activity.

There's quite a few city employees who are not very keen on the idea of relocating to Highland, but the city is gonna do what it's gonna do.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Isn't/wasn't there a master plan proposal for the whole of Airport blvd from I-35 to Lamar?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Isn't/wasn't there a master plan proposal for the whole of Airport blvd from I-35 to Lamar?
Past I35, all to way to 183

http://austintexas.gov/department/corridor-studies

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:15 PM

A lot of soil samples were taken the past two days.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 12:39 PM

Renderings of future phases by RedLeaf Properties

Sector 3

Sector 4

Phase 2 & 3 Mixed-Use

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:18 PM

Those are great finds. I'm -- once again -- a little surprised that some of these don't go twice as high. I have to assume that the zoning is there based on what's already under construction.

Also, just generally -- I took a drive by there this weekend and there's an amazing amount of space there to fill when you consider both the Mall property itself as well as the all the satellite properties that are either decrepit or abandoned or both.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Those are great finds. I'm -- once again -- a little surprised that some of these don't go twice as high. I have to assume that the zoning is there based on what's already under construction.

Also, just generally -- I took a drive by there this weekend and there's an amazing amount of space there to fill when you consider both the Mall property itself as well as the all the satellite properties that are either decrepit or abandoned or both.
It is such a wasted opportunity. Hopefully the economy stays strong and developers finally realize the possibilities for this area. I am pretty sure that it would be possible to build taller in these locations since Nimbyism might not have the traction here that it has in other locations. Issues regarding views or neighborhood encroachment would likely be minimal. This is where Austin's "second downtown" should be happening rather five or six miles further out in suburbia at the Domain

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
This is where Austin's "second downtown" should be happening rather five or six miles further out in suburbia at the Domain
Highland mall : 80 acres

Domain: 303 acres (all phases).

North Burnet Gateway: 2300 acres.

Highland will be a nice little development, but it's too small to be a "second downtown" (even including periphery properties that aren't Highand per se but might eventually be redeveloped as well).

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 11:45 PM
Meh

Where all the tall buildings at?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 11:52 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
http://www.redleaf-properties.com/up...17_reduced.pdf

Also see this document for the location of these various projects in the broader Highland campus plan.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Highland mall : 80 acres

Domain: 303 acres (all phases).

North Burnet Gateway: 2300 acres.

Highland will be a nice little development, but it's too small to be a "second downtown" (even including periphery properties that aren't Highand per se but might eventually be redeveloped as well).
I am betting on the greater Highland Mall neighborhood in the grand scheme of things. It is too good to pass up. Your beloved Domain is just another suburban wet dream. It is sterile and artificial. It will never be another Galleria.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 7:08 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
I am betting on the greater Highland Mall neighborhood in the grand scheme of things. It is too good to pass up. Your beloved Domain is just another suburban wet dream. It is sterile and artificial. It will never be another Galleria.
(1) Highland is going to have the same sterile and artificial architecture as the Domain, or, for that matter, 2nd Street with its consistently boring architecture and rotating empty storefronts. Sterile and artificial doesn't make something not "urban." The Galleria, for what it's worth, isn't urban at all, but is actually more suburban in character (being an indoor shopping mall with highrises that happen to be attached to it) than any of the ancillary districts that Austin has to offer. I'd go further and argue that the Domain, already, is about as intensely developed as Downtown was in the 1970s, minus the handful of towers over 300 feet.

(2) the Domain, etc. is still getting the intense urban development of anywhere outside of downtown, even in parcels that aren't actually directly part of the Domain. For instance: the 11, 7, and 6 story Maravilla mixed used towers that The ATX just posted about in the North Burnet/Gateway/Domain thread for senior living. Or the multiple office mid or highrises that are either under construction now or fixing to start. And then there's the Brandywine / Intel land across Burnet from the Domain that will also end up being another major mixed-used development in this area. That entire area is being developed as actually urban, whether that urbanity happens to be new and sterile feeling. Over time, as the parking lots and warehouse space are infilled with newer and more unique projects, it won't feel that way quite as much.

Last edited by wwmiv; Jun 13, 2017 at 8:43 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 8:25 AM

Here's a Statesman article on the last of those projects posted by Urbannizer:

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...ef=cbTopWidget

Quote:
a combined total of 390 units, as well as 25,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space.
Quote:
39 will be set aside as affordable housing
Quote:
The two buildings, which will both be four stories tall, will be situated on either side of what’s being called a “gateway green” – a lush open space that’s slated to be the primary entrance to the property from Airport Boulevard.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:03 PM

These are not "either/or" scenarios. All the above sites will develop. The question is "How".
What the domain has proved is that the lack of coordinated long term planning is disastrous.
Most people have to or choose to get in their cars just to shop at the different areas.
Was a true missed opportunity for small scale mass transit.
Leave it to selfish developers to not invest up front in infrastructure/ transportation and try to fix with silly little go carts to get people from one place to another.
It's a clogged mess.... ( with some nice shopping !)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Was a true missed opportunity for small scale mass transit.
Leave it to selfish developers to not invest up front in infrastructure/ transportation and try to fix with silly little go carts to get people from one place to another.

What do you think small scale mass transit looks like?

Those "silly little go carts" are probably the appropriate size, scale and speed. Being electric they also have the advantage of being clean.

Now, if I had my way, I'd run more of them in a continuous loop at a high enough frequency to be effective (instead of on-call). But I recognize that getting demand high enough for that is a hard problem.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
(1) Highland is going to have the same sterile and artificial architecture as the Domain, or, for that matter, 2nd Street with its consistently boring architecture and rotating empty storefronts. Sterile and artificial doesn't make something not "urban." The Galleria, for what it's worth, isn't urban at all, but is actually more suburban in character (being an indoor shopping mall with highrises that happen to be attached to it) than any of the ancillary districts that Austin has to offer. I'd go further and argue that the Domain, already, is about as intensely developed as Downtown was in the 1970s, minus the handful of towers over 300 feet.

(2) the Domain, etc. is still getting the intense urban development of anywhere outside of downtown, even in parcels that aren't actually directly part of the Domain. For instance: the 11, 7, and 6 story Maravilla mixed used towers that The ATX just posted about in the North Burnet/Gateway/Domain thread for senior living. Or the multiple office mid or highrises that are either under construction now or fixing to start. And then there's the Brandywine / Intel land across Burnet from the Domain that will also end up being another major mixed-used development in this area. That entire area is being developed as actually urban, whether that urbanity happens to be new and sterile feeling. Over time, as the parking lots and warehouse space are infilled with newer and more unique projects, it won't feel that way quite as much.
The difference long term will prove to be the fact that Highland is an inner city location that is already well connected to the core of the city. The Domain location is suburban and isolated from the most vibrant parts of the city. Retail is the only thing that animates the Domain, and retail, even high end retail, is not what it used to be. The Domain PR machine would have you believe all is well out there, but I suspect there are growing problems. Yes, the Domain development mimics the urban form, but it is not truly urban. As far as the architectural merits of new developments are concerned, I am not optimistic about what is likely to get built at either Highland or the Domain. I think, long term, a lot of what happens around the Highland area will depend on Travis County. I have a feeling that the Family Courts are going to end up at the county site in a new mid rise structure. That will possibly spur the construction of some other office developments. I feel pretty certain that the central location and relative affordability of the new housing projects being built in the Highland area will prove a successful combination, so there is likely to be a steady stream of these projects over the next decade. I won't be around to find out who is right or wrong, or, if I am around, I'll be in a nursing home. With regards to the Houston Galleria. I know the built form, especially the mall, is suburban in character, but overall the Galleria area, replete with massive high rise office, hotel, and condo developments, is well integrated into the urban fabric (such as it is) of the west side of Houston. It is only 6 or 7 miles from downtown and two or three miles from the Med Center. It is adjacent to affluent River Oaks, Memorial, etc. It is two miles from the trendy Melrose area. From what I can tell, the Domain area has none of that going for it. It sits isolated beside a busy freeway and surrounded by dreariness. The neighborhoods to the east are limping along trying to avoid becoming crime ridden slums. There is a lot of land nearby ripe for re-purposing, but I am not sure that will prove to be enough to turn the area into a second downtown or even a real urban neighborhood.

Last edited by austlar1; Jun 13, 2017 at 7:07 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin