HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:15 PM

Moved here in early '08 from the Detroit area. I work with the internal IT team at one of the larger tech firms here. I originally started my Austin career at a architectural firm downtown, and I think that's where I bumped into this board. I know I'm more of a lurker, but this site is always full of great content and discussion!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 7:26 PM

Born and raised in Southwest Michigan, between Chicago and Detroit. I have lived in Austin for about 4 years now and work for the state (TCEQ).
I have been interested in city development and planning since college, but unfortunately I found that passion too late in college. If I could go back, I would love to do civil engineering or urban planning. But I will try to get into these fields through different avenues.
Thanks for the chance to share and read others' stories!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 10:01 PM

I moved a lot as a kid no more that 2 years at a school other than college that I finished at UMBC with at BA in Geography. I worked for MapQuest.com in Columbia MD right from an internship. Was part of the team developing maps for the National Geographic Road Atlas published in 1998. Was laid off twice from MapQuest. So since I created the inset map of Austin in that atlas from my research I decided to move there as it seemed like a cool place. Arrived in April 2001.

I work for Travis County in Transportation and Natural Resources, specifically in Permits for development outside of the COA limits. I wish I had access to AMANDA the COA system to look stuff up but I don't. I'll be here 10 years at the end of February.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 10:02 PM

Grew up in Houston and moved to Austin in '99 to go to UT. I am an estimator/project manager at a commercial drywall company here in town. Always been interested in the goings on around town and this thread helps me keep track and updates on projects going on around town.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 5:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

I went to UT several years ago where I started in architecture but ended up getting a degree in advertising. I worked in NYC for 18 years in ad agencies and did camera work for a live performance music TV show (like a smaller version of ACL). Now I run my own small ad agency business in the Boston area.

I'm working on getting construction industry clients after realizing that combining my love of buildings and experience in video production could make for a fun niche. Here's the project that made me realize that.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 7:11 AM
World Traveler

I grew up in the Hill Country (30-45 minutes out of Austin) but frequented Austin proper for everything from club sports and shopping (we only had a Walmart) to music. I finally called it home after college. Worked in Austin for several years before moving to China to learn language and seek out business opportunities. I now run a consulting business focusing on education, tourism, and development opportunities in the region.

I've always been fascinated by the ways cities develop and grow. From a young age I loved watching the progress of buildings under construction and larger projects that influence a city's growth. I have no idea what got me into it, but I enjoy it merely from a curiosity standpoint. I stumbled onto this site a few years ago and stuck around. In some ways, I guess it helps me to stay connected to Austin.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 6:02 AM

It looks like we've got a good mix of posters in both development related and Tech fields.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:10 PM

I am currently employed as a land development engineer in Austin. That's about all I really want to say about that.

Last edited by NWHillbilly; Feb 22, 2017 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 2:27 PM

***Major Bump Alert***

This thread is over two years old, but we have had a lot new forum members since it was created. If anyone one cares to share info about yourself or update your previous post, feel free.

Nothing has changed with me. I still manage about dozen employees at a downtown Tech company and commute from Bumfuck. But I'm hoping to move into Central Austin if not downtown next year.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 3:18 PM
Resident Moron

I own a board game publisher is usually good for weirdest answer to this question.

My background is in risk management/finance which is why I was in NYC for about 5 years. Native Austinite who thinks all the changes and growth have made it a way more livable city.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 3:24 PM

Native unicorn.

Last edited by Azul; Apr 29, 2019 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 3:39 PM

Born in Bahrain (to American parents), grew up in Dubai until 2002 (graduate HS then). Moved to Lubbock for university, then got to Austin as soon as I could.

Worked my way through a couple of tech companies but now a manufacturing engineer at one of the larger ones in the Austin area.

Joined for the airport thread due to my travel addictions. Stayed for the building posts and knowing what is going on in the city. I saw Dubai explode, sorta like watching Austin...but it is on a smaller scale here.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 3:57 PM
looking at plans...

I guess I'm one of the few here that is actually involved with construction.
I live and work in San Antonio (originally from S. TX), but here lately most of (if not all of) my work is in both Austin and Houston. Just not much for me in San Antonio.

I started my project manager career at a rebar fabricator in SA in 1997. Moved to a small GC firm for a couple years, then eventually got more involved in the concrete construction world. Currently, I work for a nation-wide, concrete subcontractor that specializes in high-rise, suspended concrete construction.

Red River is one of my current projects!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:51 PM

Been browsing this forum for years and I didn't know this thread existed!

I was born and raised in San Antonio, came to Austin to study architecture at UT and graduated in 2015. Worked at an architectural firm here in town for four years and last year just started at a small interior design/build company I'm trying to help grow.

Obviously I'm fascinated by architecture and design and so I love keeping up with development news. It's been amazing to see how much Austin has grown, from the frequent road trips I would take here as a kid, to when I moved here 10 years ago, to now.

I've always been eager to see my hometown (SA) grow and originally joined this forum to keep up with San Antonio developments. But all the excitement here in Austin over the last decade has me following both cities closely now

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 7:11 PM

Grew up in a mid-atlantic suburb, my experience with urbanism/skyscrapers had been in frequent visits to Philly, Baltimore and DC. Moved to TX 13 years ago. Spent some time in DFW, but mostly Austin.I got really interested in urbanism after living/working/traveling in Asia, based out of China, and seeing how different life was when cities weren't rigidly zoned and car-dependent.

I'm a product manager at a tech company. Lived/worked DT for years but bought a home in Highland and now work out of a suburban office park (sad).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 8:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm from Austin born and raised. Have always been fascinated by highrises since the 80s building boom. Graduated from Travis in 98 and then made my first attempt at college which honestly I was not ready for. Dropped out and worked different jobs for a few years. When I was ready to go back to school I studied Meteorology and then shifted to Climatology and Environmental Sciences. Math has never been my friend, even though I excelled in science, I was horrible in math which is odd since the two intertwine.

I then switched degrees to 2D Animation and graduated in 2015. What good that did since I ended up not pursuing a long term career in Animation though it's become a hobby when I have the time. Along with Animation and my fascination of weather and climate (the only other forum that I'm regularly on is a weather geek forum lol), I also have a passion for aquariums, 3rd gen fish keeper in my family.

I currently work at Austin Aqua-dome specializing in planted aquariums and fresh water tropical species of fish. For those who like fish or are interested in checking out the store feel free to come by! At home I currently have 5 aquariums up with my largest being 125 gallons, fully planted with Discus and other South American and tropical species. I also have 3 ponds for outdoor breeding.

Oh yea, I also love going out. Pretty much out Downtown at least once a week.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 8:15 PM

I work at IBM in 045, been there for over 30 years so have a high interest in the domain area. I have always been very fascinated with buildings, primarily skyscrapers. Because of my interest in development, I have a strong history of how Austin has changed over the last 35 years since I pay so much attention to those details. Also very detailed oriented, my nature and a good fit for my engineering work in our chip design area.

I also was so into new development that I became a volunteer for the planning and zoning commission of Cedar Park. Was on the board for 14 years, half as chairman. Kept getting reappointed even as I butted heads with the politicians on the council. Left when I moved into Austin.

I also like to run distance so some times pick routes to see new parts of Austin. I also love the brewery scene.

By the way since there are several here from Michigan. I was so in awe of the old architecture in downtown Detroit. Those old buildings are classics.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 8:45 PM

When my dad retired from the US Army in 1959, we moved here to settle because my brother was attending UT - and the family liked the area. I was a high school freshman at the time. Except for a one year sojourn to Mexico and a two year stint teaching in Giddings, I have lived here ever since. Am a retired secondary teacher who loves the history of Austin and its growing up into a major city. The population signs at the city limits back in ‘59 said 182,000, and there was no “metro” area.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 8:54 PM

I have been retired for 3 years now. I moved here from Gulfport, MS in 1980 to attend UT. My partner (now husband) and I bought a house in the Quail Hollow Neighborhood not too far from the the intersection of Kramer & Metric in 1988. We have enjoyed watching how the city has grown and have been amazed at the changes in our area with the Domain, upcoming soccer stadium, etc. I very rarely post, but do enjoy very much lurking around and reading the different posts/conversations. Cheers everyone, Lyndon

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 10:00 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm still a federal employee.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin