HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

3 Civic Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 6:40 AM

I owned a 1 bedroom in Park Place near King George (recently sold) and fit a full King Size bed in the bedroom with plenty of space for end tables and to walk around the bed (2+ feet on the end by the closet), so that room is absolutely ridiculously small for a "penthouse."

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 2:07 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombaman View Post
Most buildings in Surrey were constructed with inferior designs, materials, etc. Does anyone think so?
Depends on the building really. Most buildings are fine, but there are a few buildings that seem to have small bedrooms that seem to be geared towards rentals. What's really discouraging are the amount of newer buildings across Metro Vancouver that are shoehorning 2 beds and 2 baths in less than 800 sq ft.

For the record, I have a 2 bed 2 bath in 3 Civic, and I have a King bed in one room, and a queen bed in the other. Both have plenty of space for side tables, and to move around them without issue.

That penthouse unit looks like a weird unit made up of the leftover space from the other penthouses. The bedrooms look like hallways. And that price is way over inflated, even if it were located in Downtown Vancouver and not Surrey. I'm wondering if the owner is planning to keep it empty with the high rental price but claim that no one wants to rent it to avoid the Speculation and Vacancy Tax.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
I'm wondering if the owner is planning to keep it empty with the high rental price but claim that no one wants to rent it to avoid the Speculation and Vacancy Tax.
I hope they know that an excuse like that won't make any difference, as the unit either is or is not lived in for more than six months a year to either have to pay the tax or not.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
Depends on the building really. Most buildings are fine, but there are a few buildings that seem to have small bedrooms that seem to be geared towards rentals. What's really discouraging are the amount of newer buildings across Metro Vancouver that are shoehorning 2 beds and 2 baths in less than 800 sq ft.

For the record, I have a 2 bed 2 bath in 3 Civic, and I have a King bed in one room, and a queen bed in the other. Both have plenty of space for side tables, and to move around them without issue.

That penthouse unit looks like a weird unit made up of the leftover space from the other penthouses. The bedrooms look like hallways. And that price is way over inflated, even if it were located in Downtown Vancouver and not Surrey. I'm wondering if the owner is planning to keep it empty with the high rental price but claim that no one wants to rent it to avoid the Speculation and Vacancy Tax.
I'd agree it isn't just a Surrey thing. Most new condo buildings are getting smaller and smaller doesn't matter the city. Also I don't believe I ever read an exemption to the spec tax that was "I really tried to rent it but can't." I'm pretty sure as Klazu said it is do you live in at least 6 months of the year yes/no, if not do you have a tenant with a signed contract yes/no. No to both and you pay.

Last edited by Xelebes; Sep 19, 2021 at 6:08 AM. Reason: clean up

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 1:52 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I'd agree it isn't just a Surrey thing. Most new condo buildings are getting smaller and smaller doesn't matter the city. Also I don't believe I ever read an exemption to the spec tax that was "I really tried to rent it but can't." I'm pretty sure as Klazu said it is do you live in at least 6 months of the year yes/no, if not do you have a tenant with a signed contract yes/no. No to both and you pay.
Yeah I totally understand the Spec Tax is pretty cut and dry. The over inflated rent on this unit just looks like what some rental units across Metro Vancouver were doing when the tax debuted. Though they could just be hoping that someone will just rent it sight unseen and overpay for it.

Last edited by Xelebes; Sep 19, 2021 at 6:08 AM. Reason: cleanup

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 1:56 PM

Someone in the previous page posted their total monthly utility costs for a 2 bed/ 2 bath unit.

Can someone please share their total cost for a 1 bed? Appreciate it. From what I can gather there are two fixed fees: a 40.77 dollar fee and a 19.66 dollar fee, correct? And on top of that are the variable fees?

What's the gym like in this building? Useable? Or is a gym membership necessary?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 6:38 PM

When did this page turn into MLS or a home owners review page?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn86 View Post
When did this page turn into MLS or a home owners review page?
It hasn't.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
While the main penthouse seems to come and go on the rental market, another penthouse in the building has popped now up. I have to laugh at someone thinking they can get $5,000/month for a lot smaller and fully furnished unit in Surrey. Those bedrooms are especially bad, as the rooms fit nothing else but the bed.
Three months later, this one is still on market, now for $3,900.

I cannot get over how challenging the living room on this unit is to furnish in any sensible way do the the stairs and the alcove.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...399451583.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 10:16 PM

So the hotel wants to stop concierge service to residents?

Where did the residential concierge go? Carl was there before the pandemic hit and when the hotel took over it kind of made sense because they’re always there but as of January 1, 2022 theres nothing??

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Three months later, this one is still on market, now for $3,900.

I cannot get over how challenging the living room on this unit is to furnish in any sensible way do the the stairs and the alcove.

Ditch the electric fireplace and move the TV to a stand in front of the right side sliding glass doors
(only use the left side sliding glass doors). Put both armchairs side-by-side facing the TV.

Put a small round dining table under the "chandelier" and a tall plant or small desk where the fireplace was.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 8:34 AM

^^ I would instead wall mount the TV on the right side wall and take the fireplace with it. Leave arm chair couches where they are and move the couch to the side adjacent to where it currently is facing the TV.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley