HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:39 PM

Looks like it could be Steinway's sister.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 7:05 PM

Demolition Begins at Subway Inn Site; Supertower Likely in Store

Demolition Begins at Subway Inn Site; Supertower Likely in Store
June 23
https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...ly-store/12142

Quote:
It’s been nearly two years since the beloved Subway Inn moved from its decades-long home. The bar was located across from Bloomingdale's near the corner 60th Street and Lexington Avenue and has since relocated to Second Avenue to make way for new “Billionaires’ Row” project. Now, in recent weeks, its former home and five adjacent buildings are being prepared for demolition.
Stretching between 143-155 East 60th Street, the site is slated to bring forth a $900M, 350,000-square foot mixed-use skyscraper developed by Sumi Properties Group. Over the past month, construction workers have been milling about the condemned buildings, having recently erected scaffolding and construction netting around them. Demolition permits for all the structures are already on file with the Department of Buildings.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 7:13 PM

Good news. Let's get this supertall going!

Also, I hope they include the crappy retail space facing Lexington, which needs to be redeveloped.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:12 PM
DENNAB

Nice! Is it still 1,240?

Great height for the area

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:46 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:55 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I like how the tower's contour changes from a slope to the beginnings of a torque. This nicely compensates for the architectural hit taken by 3 HY.

Start digging.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:51 PM

Beautiful tower. But 900 million?-for 350,00 square feet-damn! That is nearly $3000.00 a square foot! New York construction is not cheap.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 12:15 PM

No permits or official renderings have been released yet. Courtesy of CityRealty.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
No permits or official renderings have been released yet. Courtesy of CityRealty.

It will be quite a shame if that heinous PoS on Lex is not razed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:12 PM

it does look nice... very nice...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 1:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Kuafu Properties’ Planned Supertall At 151 East 60th Street Appears To Be Latest Casualty Of Chinese Development Bust, On The Upper East Side

151 East 60th Street, image by Kohn Pedersen Fox

Archilier Architecture’s design proposal

Quote:
Directly across the street from Bloomingdale’s, 143-155 East 60th Street, or 151 East 60th Street, was supposed to give rise to a residential supertall on the southern edge of the Upper East Side. Owned by Kuafu Properties, the assemblage has seen impressive design proposals released by both Archillier Architecture and Kohn Pedersen Fox. Demolition of six low-rise buildings began in the summer of 2017, after permits were filed. However, since then, activity has come to a grinding halt, and it appears that the site is the latest casualty of New York City’s Chinese-led development bust.

Several unrealized proposals have become victims of the Chinese government’s successful crackdown on capital outflows, including the nearby 118 East 59th Street. That project is only one street to the south, and remains an uncompleted excavated pit.

Had any of the proposed plans for 143-155 East 60th Street come to fruition, the tower would have made a large impact on the skyline, especially looking south from Sheep’s Meadow in Central Park. 143-155 East 60th Street would have risen around 1,000 feet, standing taller than both Robert A. M. Stern Architects 520 Park Avenue and the Bloomberg Tower. The building would have consisted of a large retail base and a supertall residential tower, perched on top.

Archilier Architecture’s proposal shows a tall and slender glass skyscraper with a flat southern elevation and an indented western side, with multiple terraces facing Central Park. Kohn Pedersen Fox’s iteration shows a uniform envelope of staggered glass panels with a central tapered profile and larger floor plates underneath the stepped crown.

Since demolition began, The Real Deal reported that Kuafu and Sumi Properties refinanced the development with a new $100 million loan from Bank of the Ozarks. However, that was in April of 2017, and at this point, it appears the loan has been good for naught, with work on the site appearing to come to a total and complete stop.

================================
NYY

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 11:50 AM
BANNED

A mortgage modification agreement was recently executed and filed on ACRIS. I wonder if they’re reviving their plans.

https://a836-acris.nyc.gov/DS/Docume...21042901372004

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 12:50 PM
BANNED

This is on Visual House’s website. It looks amazing.

https://visualhouse.com/stories/lexington-ave

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 4:12 PM

^ I remember seeing that render on the late Richard Rogers’ website a while back but it’s not there anymore. If I recall the write-up accompanying the image said it was an unsuccessful entry in a private design competition.

Looking back through this thread, it looks like the Chinese approached Rogers, KPF, Archilier and others for a private design competition, chose Archilier’s 1240 ft design, but then was unable to complete the project due to the recent crackdown in China. I hope whoever takes control of this parcel builds something tall and impressive.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 4:35 PM

That rendering looks pretty good. Would be very happy to see that design rise at that high-profile corner.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That rendering looks pretty good. Would be very happy to see that design rise at that high-profile corner.
I just hope that the developer gets that corner building on Lex. What's currently there looks lousy. Sadly, I just checked ACRIS and the same owner still has title to this filthy eyesore.

https://a836-acris.nyc.gov/DS/DocumentSearch/BBLResult

I wonder if the principals of Kuafu are under pressure from Chairman Xi a/k/a the 21st Century Mao.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:33 PM
DENNAB

Is that design still on the table? It's amazing, 1,240 feet of that would be epic.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed this. What a bummer.

Quote:
^ I remember seeing that render on the late Richard Rogers’ website a while back but it’s not there anymore. If I recall the write-up accompanying the image said it was an unsuccessful entry in a private design competition.

Looking back through this thread, it looks like the Chinese approached Rogers, KPF, Archilier and others for a private design competition, chose Archilier’s 1240 ft design, but then was unable to complete the project due to the recent crackdown in China. I hope whoever takes control of this parcel builds something tall and impressive.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:35 PM

This site can still produce a supertall and it has the same benefits that 57th street does, so we will see one grow here. However I don't think it will be this design will be the one that is built.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 8:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Is that design still on the table? It's amazing, 1,240 feet of that would be epic.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed this. What a bummer.
I think that this project may be in limbo due to Chairman Mao/Xi's crack down on the rich.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals