HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybydrone.com View Post
We shot an aerial panorama at 600 feet elevation, where the original architectural renderings placed the top of the building (Now I think it is around 550 feet elevation). Check it out at http://www.phillybydrone.com/panoram...lnut/tour.html.
Nice! Some of these units will have great views, particularly in 15 years when University City starts coming together. I am eager to learn more about pricing and unit sizes (hopefully this project is truly a go; I think they'll be able to move the ball across the plate at this point). Is it confirmed that condos are still in the mix?

Last edited by jsbrook; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 6:33 PM

In the view looking at the Walnut St. front it appears that the tower is slightly cantilevered over the townhouse immediately to the west. Does anyone know anything about this?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post

In the view looking at the Walnut St. front it appears that the tower is slightly cantilevered over the townhouse immediately to the west. Does anyone know anything about this?
Certainly looks like it. Hopefully we get the detailed plans soon enough. The refusal of the Plaza owners to sell that little nub is really a disgrace, particularly since it's been vacant for god knows how long. This would look much better if the base of the new tower was flush with the Plaza.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Certainly looks like it. Hopefully we get the detailed plans soon enough. The refusal of the Plaza owners to sell that little nub is really a disgrace, particularly since it's been vacant for god knows how long. This would look much better if the base of the new tower was flush with the Plaza.
It can't be flush with Rittenhouse Plaza. There are windows on the lowest floors.

We should be happy they (residents at Rittenhouse Plaza) didn't kill the whole thing.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I honestly don't think it would make a difference. The base could never be flush with the Plaza, at least not at the current height. There are windows above that nub, at least three floors of which would be obstructed by the tower base being built flush to the plaza. Initial renderings often include such impossibilities that could never be achieved in reality.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It can't be flush with Rittenhouse Plaza. There are windows on the lowest floors.

We should be happy they (residents at Rittenhouse Plaza) didn't kill the whole thing.
Yes, it could. That little nub is flush with Rittenhouse Plaza. It could step down to the same height and replace that nub and be flush with the building, and that's how it was depicted in the original renders. It looked much better, though other aspects of the current base look better. Also, the portion of the original render that replaced the little nub was pictured activated with retail. Anyway, that's not what's happening because, as Summers said, Rittenhouse Plaza owners would not sell the nub, allowing demolition and extension of the new building. Too bad. But I'm happy to see this inching forward to construction. I hope the Plaza can finally fill that nub with retail again once this building completes construction. It's been vacant since at least 2011.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:

I don't fault the plaza owners, which is a condo, for not selling the little building. In that way they can be certain that the west facing windows have at least 20'? before any wall is built. If they were to sell the building or the air rights above it each owner would probably net such a small amount that they might not think its worth the bother.

I'm surprised by the cantilever on the west side of 1911 mostly because it looks to me that the building isn't built as close to the eastern property line as it could be. If they want east facing windows I think they need to be 3' or 4' back from the property line.

So why go to the building expense of constructing a cantilever and I assume buying the air right to the building under the cantilever, when you have space to use on the east side of the site.

The tower also doesn't look like it uses the full north/south axis of the site. Maybe floor plans or other design considerations effect that decision.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:25 PM

I agree and do not blame the Plaza condo owners either. And frankly, this isn't Hong Kong - a little bit of space between buildings is perfectly fine. Seems like a minor thing overall. Also, I'm not 100% convinced that 1911 cantilevers - could just be an illusion or a not so accurate rendering or it could very well cantilever over the townhouse. I'm not doubting it, just saying this rendering isn't enough evidence for me.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I agree and do not blame the Plaza condo owners either. And frankly, this isn't Hong Kong - a little bit of space between buildings is perfectly fine. Seems like a minor thing overall. Also, I'm not 100% convinced that 1911 cantilevers - could just be an illusion or a not so accurate rendering or it could very well cantilever over the townhouse. I'm not doubting it, just saying this rendering isn't enough evidence for me.
Not to get into an argument or belabor this further, since it's irrelevant and the nub was not sold, but there is STILL no space between buildings. What rendering are you looking at? 1911 will be flush with the nub which is flush with the main Plaza tower.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
I don't fault the plaza owners, which is a condo, for not selling the little building. In that way they can be certain that the west facing windows have at least 20'? before any wall is built. If they were to sell the building or the air rights above it each owner would probably net such a small amount that they might not think its worth the bother.

I'm surprised by the cantilever on the west side of 1911 mostly because it looks to me that the building isn't built as close to the eastern property line as it could be. If they want east facing windows I think they need to be 3' or 4' back from the property line.

So why go to the building expense of constructing a cantilever and I assume buying the air right to the building under the cantilever, when you have space to use on the east side of the site.

The tower also doesn't look like it uses the full north/south axis of the site. Maybe floor plans or other design considerations effect that decision.
I think the cantilever may indeed be real and may have something to do with maximizing views. A developer mentioned this to me a long time ago. Not with SLC but has knowledge about the project and previously looked at the plot of land. Also looks to maximize outdoor space to the right of the main tower (since the Plaza nub was not sold).

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 7:01 PM

The Nub:

Going to retake a pic from here in 2+ years, there better be a 565ft building up there between the trees.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 11:11 PM
Midrise

One minor point which makes a subtle difference – Rittenhouse Plaza is a co-op, NOT a condo building.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:19 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:44 AM

6/20/2017

All sort of signs and permits up on all three buildings

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 9:56 PM

Demo/remediation progressing. Walked past earlier today. The entire parking lot to the west was fenced off with temporary fencing, and they have punched a hole in the side of the funeral home. Assuming that is the first step towards beginning demo in earnest.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 11:22 PM

Demo in earnest has begun! The entire 1900 block of Sansom is closed to traffic, and the entire first level of the funeral home is gone. I'll post pictures when I return home later.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 11:40 PM

Yeah, funeral home is almost entirely gone lol. That escalated quickly!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Demo in earnest has begun! The entire 1900 block of Sansom is closed to traffic, and the entire first level of the funeral home is gone. I'll post pictures when I return home later.
Here is a picture I took yesterday. Operating that T-Rex rig looks pretty fun!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:11 PM

Oliver H. Bair Funeral Home is a Pile of Rubble

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...pile-of-rubble

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 4:51 PM

Skyline View

This will unfortunately probably end up blocking the iconic view of Liberty I and Liberty II when viewed from SSB.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive