HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:12 PM

Snow-mageddon 2014!

The city and state are taking quite a bit of criticism both locally and nationally for the chaos that resulted from only 2 inches of snow on Tuesday.

Blame Atlanta storm mess on sprawl, bad decisions

Quote:
Surely to everyone else in the world, the staggering sight of one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United States brought to a standstill by a few flurries seemed comical at first. Oh, those Southerners, they don’t know how to drive in the snow! Indeed, as I tried to get home from work Tuesday evening, my tires spinning uselessly in an icy patch just yards from Peachtree Street, a trio of tourists snapped camera-phone pictures and laughed. I’m sure my Honda’s enshrined on someone’s Facebook page with a witty caption. Inevitably, people began to compare the gridlocked cars heading out of downtown Atlanta to the Walking Dead poster, Southerners trapped by a “snowpocalypse” instead of the zombie variety.

Atlanta's image takes a beating from snowstorm

Quote:
A few inches of light fluffy snow could bruise Atlanta's carefully crafted image as a sophisticated, international city that's a magnet for corporate headquarters.
Jan. 28's nightmare, which was addressed today by Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal and Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, is the talk of the national media and social media.

"Winter storm hits Atlanta harder than expected, stopping city cold," reports a Jan. 29 Wall Street Journal story.
The WSJ story noted, "Criticism has been widespread, including across social media and on national television. 'This was poor planning on the mayor's part and the governor's part, pure and simple,' television weatherman Al Roker said on the NBC's Today Show."
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 11:39 PM

Yeah, it kinda sucks how the media has created a real bandwagon for criticism. While this was a serious situation in Atlanta, it has been taken to a ridiculous level in the media. Something very similar happened in Birmingham and other southern cities but the focus has all been on Atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 3:03 AM

this event really has the atlanta subreddit really talking about transit like mad though. some really interesting discussion going on over there:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/comm...ll_wont_pay_a/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/comm...ot_a_solution/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/comm...enting_future/

etc...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Yeah, it kinda sucks how the media has created a real bandwagon for criticism. While this was a serious situation in Atlanta, it has been taken to a ridiculous level in the media. Something very similar happened in Birmingham and other southern cities but the focus has all been on Atlanta.
Yeah there must not be a lot going on in the world for them to make this such a huge story. But I guess that's just what the 24hr media does.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 2:57 PM

Sometimes, No One is to Blame

Sure, it was the worst I have seen Atlanta with snow/ice and that includes the blizzard of 1993 especially in regards to traffic. Also, I agree that GDOT, politicians, school officials, forecasters, citizens, employers, etc could have done a better job. But I am slow to cast blame when it comes to things like weather which us humans have little control of - perhaps Al Roker and others should also.

I am rather attentive to the weather. I follow the forecasts and really enjoy 99% of the wide variety of weather that Atlanta has. I hardly ever (maybe never) complain about the weather. Last weekend, I watched the forecasts which stated that the winter weather would be concentrated in South and Middle Georgia but possibilities in South Metro Atlanta.

As late as 11:30 Monday night, I watched Glen Burns on Channel 2 downgrade the Winter Storm Watch to Winter Storm Advisory for Metro Atlanta with dusting to an inch in South Metro. As I rushed to get ready to go to work Tuesday morning, I caught the last glimpse of traffic report and weather forecast where field reporters where searching for snow.

Nonetheless, I made up my mind to leave work at noon because I definitely did not want to be trapped at work due to snow. I'd rather be trapped at home. I work on the Southside and live on the Westside. It had barely started to precipitate and the roads were fine when I left work around noon on the Southside (which is where all the forecasts I had been hearing was supposed to have the crux of the winter storm). And I thought I was doing good. But the more west I went, the heavier the snow fall and the worst the roads got. It turned out that contrary to all the forecast I had been hearing, North Georgia was getting the worst of winter storm and not South and Middle Georgia ---- and that the West Metro (Douglas/Cobb/SoFulton/Atlanta) was getting the worst in Metro Atlanta and not South Metro.

So if Al Roker wants to be so quick to cast blame - place in it variety of places including the forecasts. Otherwise, do not be so quick to blame and be so high and mighty about something like weather which us humans cannot control - no matter what.

Last edited by L41A; Feb 1, 2014 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 7:04 PM

I haven't heard anyone in the media mention the fact that winter weather forecasts for Atlanta are wrong more often than not. If they closed everything down for every winter weather prediction we would get similar criticism...it has happened in the past.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 5:20 AM

Well to me people take Atlanta serious because we a big city and really known, but on the other side we a tropical city that's what people don't realize, we are not use to snow we are use to warm weather.
Well tomorrow we get snow for 2 days straight and sleet and ice

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta