HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 2:24 AM

Man what a gong show this is turning out to be...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 1:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanYWG View Post
Man what a gong show this is turning out to be...
Everything the Blue Bombers touch turns into a gong show so why should their stadium be any different. You've got amateur hour running the team and this is the result.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 6:25 PM

Someone on one of the Bomber forums who was involved in the construction of the stadium said the concourses can and will support the temporary stands for the Grey Cup as long as the point loads are located directly above all the beams.

I'm certainly no expert on construction, but that makes sense. I guess we will see temp stands on the concourse come fall.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 6:31 PM

^ Geez Louise, one had better hope the floors will support all of that weight. I was planning on buying Grey Cup tickets for the temp seats... maybe I should just stay at home and watch on TV instead?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 7:24 PM

I would think any stadium who is going to be putting up temporary seating would put them above structural supports below. If any stadium designed concourses so they could put stands for thousands of people just willy nilly wherever they want, have over designed and built their stadium. Strategically locating the supports seems like common sense to me. It's like a stage rig set up. You don't just hang heavy lights from the rafters and call it a day. You have structural supports designated for such things. Which may in turn be hanging from the joists themselves.

I think the Bombers did a good job in clarifying that the stadium will not be falling down. There's issues that will cause long term maintenance problems, along with the building code and water damage stuff. And they are trying to resolve it now, when they can hang out the contractor (which is the right thing to do).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Someone on one of the Bomber forums who was involved in the construction of the stadium said the concourses can and will support the temporary stands for the Grey Cup as long as the point loads are located directly above all the beams.

I'm certainly no expert on construction, but that makes sense. I guess we will see temp stands on the concourse come fall.
Bigger problem will be how they move people through the building, already a problem with a crowd of 30,000 forget 40,000, and how they will satisfy inspectors to get permits. Hopefully they are working with those inspectors to meet requirements as they build this time.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Strategically locating the supports seems like common sense to me. It's like a stage rig set up. You don't just hang heavy lights from the rafters and call it a day. You have structural supports designated for such things. Which may in turn be hanging from the joists themselves.
That's why those temp stands are done with stamped plans that go for plan review by the city.

Some structural engineering firms reputation and insurance policy are on the line if the temp stands don't perform. I am sure that nobody wants to be known as the next "Elliot Lake" engineer.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:43 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:44 PM

Bring it on! Let's see what deals were made with Asper and company.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:38 PM

We cant feel to bad Tim Horton's field isn't done yet!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
We cant feel to bad Tim Horton's field isn't done yet!
Good grief. About a year ago at this time I was being slammed in the Canada subforum for stating the obvious, i.e. that there was no way THF would be ready for football season despite the preposterous claims of the builders.

I'm glad that Mosaic Stadium is steering clear of promising absurdly aggressive timelines with little grounding in reality. The shitstorm that inevitably ensues when those deadlines are blown are simply not worth it... just tack on an extra year from the outset and be done with it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good grief. About a year ago at this time I was being slammed in the Canada subforum for stating the obvious, i.e. that there was no way THF would be ready for football season despite the preposterous claims of the builders.

I'm glad that Mosaic Stadium is steering clear of promising absurdly aggressive timelines with little grounding in reality. The shitstorm that inevitably ensues when those deadlines are blown are simply not worth it... just tack on an extra year from the outset and be done with it.
I'm sure the PCL saw the shitstorms of THF and IGF and knew it wanted none of that. The stadium already generated a ton of anger. They didn't want some sort of uprising.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:49 PM

Anyone know who the architect/builder of the Hamilton stadium is?

Can't find it on Wikipedia or their website. Wondering if it is an inexperienced combo like the mix we had in Winnipeg. Kudos to Regina for going with the people who only build stadiums/arenas.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Anyone know who the architect/builder of the Hamilton stadium is?

Can't find it on Wikipedia or their website. Wondering if it is an inexperienced combo like the mix we had in Winnipeg. Kudos to Regina for going with the people who only build stadiums/arenas.

The general contractor for the Tim Hortons Field is Ontario Sports Solutions, which is a joint venture between Kenaidan Contracting and Bouygues Building Canada.

Bouygues is huge. In Europe at least.

Architects: http://www.cannondesign.com/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Good thread it gives and gives. Still talking about Investors Goup Failure Field a year and a half later.
Can't wait for the New Mosaic so we can bury this one.

Is there any reason why

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro August.2014
Good thread it gives and gives. Still talking about Investors Group Failure Field a year and a half later.Can't wait for the New Mosaic so we can bury this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Is there any reason why
Your answer is cleverly and stealthily hidden in the post you quoted.I bolded it.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:16 PM

For all the dumping on IGF I'd say it's still a success and represents excellent bang for the buck even with the cost overruns. Unlike THF which was basically a 1 for 1 replacement of an old venue with a nearly identical new one (but with skyboxes and club seats), IGF is leaps and bounds better than CanadInns Stadium. A lot of the early clucking about accessbility and transportation has been put to rest already, so all that's left is relatively small potatoes stuff that are definitely head-scratchers (the concourse's inability to support forklifts, the inadequate drainage, etc.) but nothing that impacts the fan experience whatsoever. The team has had far more of a negative effect on that than anything to do with the stadium's design or architecture.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:26 PM

The team made almost $4M last season. Needed to pull some cash from savings to pay their loan payment of $4.4M. Not sure what subsidies they get.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:50 PM

^ The team's abysmal on-field performance has probably hurt their finances. The fact that there have only been 3 sellouts at IGF is amazing (inaugural game + 2 banjo bowls), and that figure probably would have been doubled had the team managed to attain even a .500 record in 2013. In many ways 2013 was an utter disaster for the club.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
For all the dumping on IGF I'd say it's still a success and represents excellent bang for the buck even with the cost overruns. Unlike THF which was basically a 1 for 1 replacement of an old venue with a nearly identical new one (but with skyboxes and club seats), IGF is leaps and bounds better than CanadInns Stadium. A lot of the early clucking about accessbility and transportation has been put to rest already, so all that's left is relatively small potatoes stuff that are definitely head-scratchers (the concourse's inability to support forklifts, the inadequate drainage, etc.) but nothing that impacts the fan experience whatsoever. The team has had far more of a negative effect on that than anything to do with the stadium's design or architecture.
I think there's a little more than small potatoes and several issues that affect fan experience, the biggest one being the impossibility of moving through the building when there is anything close to a capacity crowd. Hard to believe they'd build something in the 2010's with 1980's sized concourses, especially when there was plenty of space available.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan