HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:08 PM

I have been inside the press box, and if anyone has any problems with it, then they are just spoiled. Regarding the press box, it is big, has outdoor seats, and decent sized windows.

That was just a typical Paul Friesen Article. That man does nothing but find ways to complain about things.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
$190 million in the states would likely get you a scoreboard. I have been to about half of the NFL Stadiums and they are much larger and grander. That being said, i can't think of any i have been to that will be this tight or intimate with regards to being right on top of the playing field. I think we got a hell of a stadium for our budget......could it have been better, possibly.
Thx for this, coming from someone who has seen many of the grand US stadiums.It puts things in perspective.Population,Metro Size and the biggie, "Budget". Yes maybe there could have been some improvements as you mentioned but to what end? Most likely they will enclose the Press box in glass,"for the media ,print press".

But anyway I understand season ticket holders concerns,as they pay for the seats, but It is still impressive for what they've done for the budget alloted to them.

Don't want to offend anyone but I call this " Winnipeg Resident Syndrome".

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I have been inside the press box, and if anyone has any problems with it, then they are just spoiled. Regarding the press box, it is big, has outdoor seats, and decent sized windows.

That was just a typical Paul Friesen Article. That man does nothing but find ways to complain about things.

Thx Chris, apparently we were posting at the same time and I did not see your post until I submitted mine..."Agree"

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:46 AM

Quote:

Stadium is smoking! Congrats Winnipeg, gonna be a great environment for football games!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 1:07 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Thx for this, coming from someone who has seen many of the grand US stadiums.It puts things in perspective.Population,Metro Size and the biggie, "Budget". Yes maybe there could have been some improvements as you mentioned but to what end? Most likely they will enclose the Press box in glass,"for the media ,print press".

But anyway I understand season ticket holders concerns,as they pay for the seats, but It is still impressive for what they've done for the budget alloted to them.

Don't want to offend anyone but I call this " Winnipeg Resident Syndrome".

It still pales in comparison to the billion dollar palaces that are built in the US, but I imagine that to do Investors Group field as best as it could possibly be would require another $50 to $100 million. That being said I think we built a pretty nice facility for $190 million. The things that are deficient can be altered over time as money or need becomes available....like the cosmetics of seamless glass for the Press Box and private suites.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It still pales in comparison to the billion dollar palaces that are built in the US, but I imagine that to do Investors Group field as best as it could possibly be would require another $50 to $100 million. That being said I think we built a pretty nice facility for $190 million. The things that are deficient can be altered over time as money or need becomes available....like the cosmetics of seamless glass for the Press Box and private suites.
I think you're sport on with your comment.

One thing to note is with the new TV deal with TSN, all CFL teams will be bringing in an additional $2.5M+ every single season. Likely to increase after the new 5 year deal ends. That's huge in paying the $4M annual payments for the stadium. Should make those improvements over time a little easier too.

On the flip side, salary cap will increase.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think you're sport on with your comment.

One thing to note is with the new TV deal with TSN, all CFL teams will be bringing in an additional $2.5M+ every single season. Likely to increase after the new 5 year deal ends. That's huge in paying the $4M annual payments for the stadium. Should make those improvements over time a little easier too.

On the flip side, salary cap will increase.
Hopefully with a bigger salary cap you also get better players and the cycle grows and this league continues to grow, and then you can add more teams, and fix or refurbish more stadiums. With all that is being done, it really leaves only Calgary and Toronto with outdated stadiums

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Hopefully with a bigger salary cap you also get better players and the cycle grows and this league continues to grow, and then you can add more teams, and fix or refurbish more stadiums. With all that is being done, it really leaves only Calgary, Toronto and Hamilton with outdated stadiums
Fixed.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 6:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Fixed.
Don't be so hard on Hamilton, the new stadium being built there just points out that Hamilton has all but given up on professional sports and could make a fine high school stadium in the future.

Last edited by rrskylar; Jun 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Don't be so hard on Hamilton, the new stadium being built there just points that Hamilton has all but given up on professional sports and will make a fine high school stadium in the future.
Maybe it is the optomist in me, but maybe there will be more left over in the contingency or "slush" fund for there to be more added. such as a roof over one section and some permanent enzone seating (maybe up to 25-26K)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 3:37 PM

In conversation with... Ray Wan.
Winnipeg Free Press

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...210681221.html

"RAY WAN has been a part of the new Blue Bombers stadium initiative for eight years and has experienced the many highs and lows associated with the project."

[...]

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 7:15 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The wavy roof thing is for noise retention? Is this the first time this has been mentioned?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The wavy roof thing is for noise retention? Is this the first time this has been mentioned?
I asume the " wavy roof " will be acousticly friendly for concerts.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
I asume the " wavy roof " will be acousticly friendly for concerts.
I have my doubts about that one - it certainly may help minimize the noise quantity outside the stadium, but I think they should consult with an acoustic expert before claiming it will improve the acoustic qualities of the venue - the way I would guess the acoustics will work with the wavy canopy is that sound will be bouncing off the roof structure in all directions - there will be some sweet spots, a few places where the volume will be incredibly loud and other places where the sound will be flat and undiscernable.

On the other hand if they were to to acoustically insulate the underside of the canopies it may be very effective at deadening the noise and making for a good music venue - but I don't think that is the effect the bombers would like for home games.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Don't be so hard on Hamilton, the new stadium being built there just points out that Hamilton has all but given up on professional sports and could make a fine high school stadium in the future.
You can probably place the Hamilton situation squarely on the shoulders of the Tiger cats in my opinion. Who as far as I can see, with the exception of a few minor concessions put up little or basically nothing in terms of cash for a stadium which they will be the primary tenants. About the only contribution as far as I can see made by the Tiger Cat organization was to do a lot of complaining about the location of the stadium which seemed to do a 360 and in the end ended back at Ivor Wynn.

But I would say its not a total loss, the stadium is designed for future expansion. In fact if you go the the Pan-American stadium in the Hamilton blog you can see someone has posted a scale model of the expanded stadium. It actually looks kinda nice with the end zone seating in and it should be fairly easy and inexpensiveness to add temporary or permanent end zone seating in the future. But the lack of any type of protection for fans from the elements aka. no roof I think is a major drawback, at least in this day and age. You can probably get away this in the deep south but not in Canada I say. Who knows maybe if their primary tenant had kicked in $10 or 20 million they could have had some type of roof at least and a little better viewing experience.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 4:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillweed View Post
You can probably place the Hamilton situation squarely on the shoulders of the Tiger cats in my opinion. Who as far as I can see, with the exception of a few minor concessions put up little or basically nothing in terms of cash for a stadium which they will be the primary tenants. About the only contribution as far as I can see made by the Tiger Cat organization was to do a lot of complaining about the location of the stadium which seemed to do a 360 and in the end ended back at Ivor Wynn.

But I would say its not a total loss, the stadium is designed for future expansion. In fact if you go the the Pan-American stadium in the Hamilton blog you can see someone has posted a scale model of the expanded stadium. It actually looks kinda nice with the end zone seating in and it should be fairly easy and inexpensiveness to add temporary or permanent end zone seating in the future. But the lack of any type of protection for fans from the elements aka. no roof I think is a major drawback, at least in this day and age. You can probably get away this in the deep south but not in Canada I say. Who knows maybe if their primary tenant had kicked in $10 or 20 million they could have had some type of roof at least and a little better viewing experience.
Hamilton's Pan Am games stadium looks like a NCAA division two stadium at best, certainly not one built in the last 20 years. The CFL should have shown some kohones and told to build it right or not at all.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 5:05 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
cuz he made it up.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 12:27 PM

The Arch would have been better for noise retention than the Wave. You don't need a sound engineer to figure that one out. Although, I am one so yeah, Wave just diffuses the sound creating multiple reflective surfaces for it to bounce off of, (Which may actually be better for concerts), however if they wanted a plain loud surface for the players to feel the energy, they should have gone with the Arch.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 12:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Remains to be seen I suppose.

Last edited by Riverman; Jun 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 1:48 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
You don't need a sound engineer to figure that one out. Although, I am one so yeah,
I think they were referring to an professional acoustical engineer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan