HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 6:12 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Too much speculation.
yeah you're right. and I'm def. guilty of it.
but it is the talk of the city right now...well that and cycle tracks/bike lanes

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Wasn't in Edmonton, that's for sure. Edmonton's first triple homicide did not take place until 2006.
I know it happened, but maybe time has inflated the body count on me. I remember it freaking me out at the time. My dad's dead, so I can't ask him.

/edit... I think this is the incident I was thinking about. It was less killed than I remembered and I'm glad I was wrong.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4938,5896755

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I know it happened, but maybe time has inflated the body count on me. I remember it freaking me out at the time. My dad's dead, so I can't ask him.

/edit... I think this is the incident I was thinking about. It was less killed than I remembered and I'm glad I was wrong.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4938,5896755
This made it into a Florida newspaper? I noticed the ad for Publix which was the place we shopped at when living in FLA. Wish the prices were the same today...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
This made it into a Florida newspaper? I noticed the ad for Publix which was the place we shopped at when living in FLA. Wish the prices were the same today...
I thought that was a bit odd as well. I was also able to find another story in the Montreal Gazette, but nothing local.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 9:17 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

It's in a News of Canada section. Interesting. Probably for the early snowbirds.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I hope this kid gets the help that he needs, but I also hope that he's not getting any special treatment in jail because his father is a cop. Speaking of his father, I can't help but wonder if his dad has bailed him out of other jams in the past and the kid finally wrote a cheque the old man can't cash.

/edit: Forgot to mention that they have charged him with five counts of first degree and that's premeditated.

Anyone notice how much more common these mass murders have become, the quick excuse is always mental illness. I'm sure sociologists and psychologists can come up 100 different theories in relation to this, but how about how the subject of the way kids are being brought up these days? This is a generalization but it's undoubtedly much more of a me, me, me culture of entitlement these days where the kids are never wrong, kids are all very special, and a complete lack of discipline. T

These kids grow up in bubble, and when reality finally hits(job/relationship/financial issues etc) some of them simply can't cope with the fact that they're not really that special and the world doesn't revolve around them. That's my theory anyways. I'm sure others will strongly disagree, maybe blame the media or something/somebody else, but this is the root of it all imo. I don't buy this mental illness excuse, and I hope it doesn't get him any special treatment. Actually, hope he gets the shit kicked out of him regularly in jail and it gets reported in the media. Maybe the next fuckhead will think twice.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:56 PM
ARTchitecture

Turns out at least two of my friends each knew one of the victims, crazy how small the world is when terrible things like this happen :/

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:37 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Anyone notice how much more common these mass murders have become
They have? Where's your evidence for this?

I'll answer that for you: there is none. You're wrong.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:40 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Turns out at least two of my friends each knew one of the victims, crazy how small the world is when terrible things like this happen :/
I knew one of the victims. We were in the same graduating class in Junior and Senior High School.

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post

Where's yours?

Mine's very anecdotal, but it's undeniable that these mass murders are happening one after the other across the continent, be it at schools, movie theatres, malls, train stations, marathons, airports; to the point that they're not even that shocking anymore. I don't recall nearly the amount of these tragic events happening as early back as the 90's.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:01 PM
Here and There

Oh please, dont start.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:17 PM

I'd say anyone who does this has to, by definition be somewhat mentally ill. Normal people don't do that, so something obviously is not right. What the cause is obviously varies in every case.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
These kids grow up in bubble, and when reality finally hits(job/relationship/financial issues etc) some of them simply can't cope with the fact that they're not really that special and the world doesn't revolve around them. That's my theory anyways. I'm sure others will strongly disagree, maybe blame the media or something/somebody else, but this is the root of it all imo. I don't buy this mental illness excuse, and I hope it doesn't get him any special treatment. Actually, hope he gets the shit kicked out of him regularly in jail and it gets reported in the media. Maybe the next fuckhead will think twice.
I have similar theory that this bubble leads to an increase in depression.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post

The overall murder rate is decreasing and mass murders and spree killings don't happen very often in Canada, but they sure seem to happening fairly frequently in the states and seem to be increasing in the past 10 years or so.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:05 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Where's yours?

Mine's very anecdotal, but it's undeniable that these mass murders are happening one after the other across the continent, be it at schools, movie theatres, malls, train stations, marathons, airports; to the point that they're not even that shocking anymore. I don't recall nearly the amount of these tragic events happening as early back as the 90's.
More people = more interactions

I would bet that the the ratio of those interactions to the number of murders (mass or otherwise) have dropped dramatically and is likely nearly a vertical line.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:17 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd say anyone who does this has to, by definition be somewhat mentally ill. Normal people don't do that, so something obviously is not right. What the cause is obviously varies in every case.
I'd argue that anyone that commits murder is mentally ill. There are special exceptions of course, but "normal" rational people do not kill one another.

as for increase in mass murders (4 or more victims) in Canada, nope. some years we have 0, some 1, some 2, and rarely 3 in any given year.
The homicide rate peaked in the 1970s at over 3 per 100k pop and has now leveled out around 1.75 per 100k population.

source

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:21 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
I knew one of the victims. We were in the same graduating class in Junior and Senior High School.
so sad, tragic. senseless

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
I'd argue that anyone that commits murder is mentally ill. There are special exceptions of course, but "normal" rational people do not kill one another.

as for increase in mass murders (4 or more victims) in Canada, nope. some years we have 0, some 1, some 2, and rarely 3 in any given year.
The homicide rate peaked in the 1970s at over 3 per 100k pop and has now leveled out around 1.75 per 100k population.

source
I found conflicting reports with regards to the states, that the number is going up, then the number is going down. I found this site that has a fascinating but yet horrifying database for mass murders in the states. Down there they average about 1 every two weeks. Insane.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...a-map/2820423/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:34 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I found conflicting reports with regards to the states, that the number is going up, then the number is going down. I found this site that has a fascinating but yet horrifying database for mass murders in the states. Down there they average about 1 every two weeks. Insane.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...a-map/2820423/
yeah the US is crazy.
That being said if Canada had 318 Million people our numbers would probably be much higher.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
yeah the US is crazy.
That being said if Canada had 318 Million people our numbers would probably be much higher.
We would have more murders, but the per capita number shouldn't change by much. In 2013 we were at 1.6 per 100K,the US was 4.8. and Afghanistan was 2.4. El Salvador leads the list with 69 per 100K.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy