HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Let's not bicker about distance because I just punched in Coquitlam Center to the Arena spot and today Google says 17km. SO it's different than what it told me the first time and what it just told you.

I said I stood corrected so quite honestly, pound sand.

*sigh* I'll take your word for it since the large portion of Coquitlam itself is closer to Coquitlam Center than Lougheed and Coquitlam doesn't seem to publish any population by neighborhood numbers so you're really just making the above up unless you can show me some stats to the contrary.

Really? Last I checked Google travel times are actually based on a lot of factors including actual travel times, current traffic, real-speed, and up-to-date information pulled from active Android devices traveling the route in addition to simple speed limits. Case and point, my Garmin says it should take me 45 minutes to drive from my house to my work every day because it follows speed limits and the SFPR is 80. But everyone drives 100+ and my Android Phone aka Google says it should take me about 31 minutes. It on average takes me between 28 and 32 minutes so Google is far more accurate.

What makes Google not accurate overall is that it tells you travel time "now" aka with traffic. That means the travel time will change throughout the day. If you look up a route during rush hour it will give you a different travel time than if you look at it at say 2am on a Saturday morning. My Garmin however will always give you the same travel time because it only looks at speed limits (I don't pay for the traffic service).

And if you read my post I kind of pointed that out fairly clearly in my analysis referencing the potential error.

That said, I pretty clearly said I stood corrected on my claim it is closer to LEC so again some pounding and some sand.
I'm not making anything up. Actually, only a small portion of Coquitlam is located close to Coquitlam centre. Port Coquitlam is a mere few blocks east and Port Moody is just down the road so actually, only a tiny part of Coquitlam is located around Coq. Centre. Google and set of relatively working eyes shows me that so no figures are needed. Pick any Coquitlam address that's not immediately adjacent to Coquitlam Centre, and you'll see that the distance between the two arenas (and in particular travel times since its such a fan favorite) is drastic. So unless you live immediately adjacent to HWY 7 you will have to deal with city streets (including lights) which blows any time gained travelling on the HWY 7 immediately. In fact, if you take the Coquitlam Adanac's home arena, the distance to the Langley Events Centre even when measured by time is twice as long (if not even more depending on the route taken, with some being almost 3X as long) if you use the Golden Ears Bridge. (35km 45 min to LEC, vs 12 km or 21 min to proposed Surrey Arena site). No amount of wishful thinking is going to change that. If anything's "made up" its the notion that Langley is somehow closer to Coquitlam than Surrey is (which it isn't)

Now, as for google, like I said they skew towards the highway driving since they base on speed limits. A car travelling on a city street may have left for a destination 4 minutes before another, yet it catches a couple of lights while the car that left later doesn't, and they end up at the destination at the same time. I too have a GPS (a Tom Tom) and it used it in the US and it has told me to head to backtrack to the highway even though my final destination was almost within eyesight and the city roads were largely empty. The distance between 2 structures does not change and is impervious to variables, while measuring travel time is less accurate. But regardless, even WITH taking all that into account, unless the Langley Events Centre grows some legs and walks itself to a more convenient location, the distance from Coquitlam to the proposed Surrey site is CLOSER.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 7:59 PM

OK you win congrats.

I don't really care. My feelings are the Arena sport wise will focus on hockey given Surrey is also moving the Ice sheets from Surrey Central North Surrey Rec to that location. Lacrosse could fit, I just don't think there is enough demand but who knows. If Coquitlam has such a huge demand for Lacrosse they should just build their own arena. *shrug* I just don't buy it is that in demand given statistically Lacrosse participation in kids and in adults doesn't even crack the top 10 sports played in BC or Canada for that matter but to each his or her own.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 11:36 PM

Google drive times

Poirier Arena to LEC = 21 mins
Poirier Arena to 110st Ave Arena proposal = 20 mins (via 108 which once that goes to 1 lane for the ground level train you can add another 10 mins to.

I guess for me I'd rather drive out a multi-lane highway and jump onto a multi-lane Langley street straight to an arena versus driving through North Surrey hitting lights and traffic.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:46 PM

Mystery surrounds proposal to build Surrey outdoor stadium
Derrick Penner
Published on: October 11, 2017 | Last Updated: October 11, 2017 9:31 AM PDT
An as-yet-unnamed group has proposed to build an outdoor stadium on city-owned land in Surrey for a yet-to-be-identified pro team, said Coun. Bruce Hayne, rolling out a mystery as to who that might be.
It doesn’t appear to be either the B.C. Lions or the Vancouver Whitecaps as management of both teams, which play home games at B.C. Place Stadium now, expressed little knowledge of the proposed development....
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...utdoor-stadium

City of Surrey:  Prequalification - Design, Construct, Finance and Operate an Outdoor Spectator Stadium
http://www.surrey.ca/business-econom...ent/25065.aspx

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 10:01 PM

Although no further details have been released, it appears the proposed team would be for the Canadian Professional Soccer League, and the size of the stadium would likely be 2-5000.

From Global News:

Canadian Premier League Soccer (CPL) is working with ownership groups to establish a new professional franchise in the Lower Mainland.

“We can confirm a group of local business leaders have submitted a proposal to the City of Surrey representing a future franchise in the Lower Mainland,” CPL spokesperson Greg McIsaac said in an email.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3800718/s...-team-stadium/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:37 PM
Rational urbanist

Frankly I'm surprised there's interest in a Surrey stadium that size when Swangard is perfectly usable. Surely a renovation there would be more economical, unless a Surrey location (or further east) is specifically desired.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation