HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:00 PM
Editor

CALGARY | Guardian South | 482 FT / 147 M | 44 Floors

This one won't be in the proposals section for long as the construction of the podium is already built, and the north tower is already half built. Word is that they will be starting the south tower soon.

The south tower (shown below on the right) is a twin of the north tower which is already under construction.

Guardian North and South Tower by Render Central, on Flickr

Last edited by Urbannizer; May 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:05 PM
Editor

From the Calgary construction thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
On the Guardian front... deposit cheques for tower two have started getting cashed. Probably a good sign.

The right side of the image below shows what has been done so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquattingBear View Post
Yep, looking great from the west too.
From their site calling the first living floor above the parkade the 8th floor, i guess they are pouring the 31st now?

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:14 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

This will be moving over to construction pretty quick:

According to their twitter response to me yesterday they are building the table forms for the second tower:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Calgary Twitter Account
A secret this big is hard to keep! Yes, we have begun to build the table forms for The Guardian South.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:58 PM
Editor

Looks like it could be moved right now

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:47 PM

Looking at the construction photos starts making me think these might have been better with different heights. South tower maybe a few floors shorter or taller..... Maybe the next set of twins! LOL

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 6:43 PM

This one should be in the construction thread. They are already pouring the first floor of the south tower.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 9:50 PM
ARTchitecture

Another huge boost in population density for the Beltline! Woot

How many units in the Guardian project? 600 or something? So about 900 - 1000 people living in the towers? Pretty badass

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 10:49 PM

I am glad they started this before topping out the North tower. Sales look to be very good.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 11:41 PM
ARTchitecture

I just sent an email to the Guardian team and asked if they had any data pertaining to the height of both towers in metric or imperial measurements, rather than storeys.

If the original 41 storeys - 143 meters was correct, then having it increased to 44 floors would make it approx 151 meters.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 5:55 AM

^^ Just a little under 500'.... so close! ^^

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:12 PM
Editor

That's a good idea. I tried getting the info from the city but haven't had any luck. The number of stories is confusing too, as there have been a few numbers floating around. Their website says 44, so I'm assuming that's the final number, and if so you're probably right, it could very well be a different height. 151m would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I just sent an email to the Guardian team and asked if they had any data pertaining to the height of both towers in metric or imperial measurements, rather than storeys.

If the original 41 storeys - 143 meters was correct, then having it increased to 44 floors would make it approx 151 meters.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 6:47 PM

That is confusing, but if it is a twin it should have the same floor count. Even the rendering has a 41 floor count, but I guess you can't trust renderings.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:50 PM
ARTchitecture

I just got confirmation from the Guardian Sales Staff:

Quote:
Hi Chad,

The total height is 146.6M

Yes, were hoping for more than 1000 people! We have over 600 units between the two towers. I've attached all of our floor plans and a feature sheet for you as well.

Glad to hear you are very excited about our development!
Source: marco@theguardiancalgary.com

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 10:11 PM
Majestic

Haha, figured it would be Marco who got back to you on that.

Flickr

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 10:19 PM

So correct me if I'm wrong - but will this be the tallest residential tower in Western Canada? I know there are a few taller buildings in Vancouver (Shangri-La, Hotel Georgia) but I thought they were actually mixed use towers with hotel etc?

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 12:21 AM
ARTchitecture

Yes, I believe it will be.

The Georgia (157 meters) is listed as fully residential, but it has like 7 floors of office in it... so I don't know how they consider it all residential.

Not that it really matters anyways, but yeah. For reference, at 147 meters, these towers will be taller than the main tower of Bow Valley Square, and just 5 meters shy of the Nexen Building. Pretty impressive.

Oh and Boris, as a database mod, could you edit the revised height into the diagrams section please? I'll edit my diagrams accordingly.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:23 AM
Editor

Quote:
I just got confirmation from the Guardian Sales Staff:

Source: marco@theguardiancalgary.com
Nice find! , so basically 147m. That's a very good height for a residential tower.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 6:58 AM

The "Bar" has been Raised!!

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:02 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Oh and Boris, as a database mod, could you edit the revised height into the diagrams section please? I'll edit my diagrams accordingly.
You can go ahead and update.

Flickr

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, I believe it will be.

The Georgia (157 meters) is listed as fully residential, but it has like 7 floors of office in it... so I don't know how they consider it all residential.

Not that it really matters anyways, but yeah. For reference, at 147 meters, these towers will be taller than the main tower of Bow Valley Square, and just 5 meters shy of the Nexen Building. Pretty impressive.

Awesomeness. So we now have under construction at the same time the tallest building in Western Canada, the tallest residential building(s) in Western Canada and very soon the tallest mixed use building in western Canada. That's pretty cool.

Guardian is already nearly the height of Nuera and Alura, even with around 15 more floors to go. These buildings are going to really stand out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive