HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. They could do site prep while the city does the street work. The Record street project got a bunch of materials on site before it was even approved so I don’t see why this project couldn’t do something similar.
It would be nice to see this project get going sooner. With 148 units just steps away from Main Street, it will be a major boost to downtown. And downtown could really use more people to support the businesses.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I see no reason why they couldn't start excavation for the three levels of underground parking at the same time as the street and infrastructure improvements on Victoria and Wesley.

I still don't necessarily expect to see the tower crane at St Bernard Square however until next spring.
You may have been right MonctonRad. Driving by the site tonight I saw a piece of heavy equipment and a metal storage container on the property. I don't think the city uses storage containers when they do street work, do they? So Frederic Properties could at least do some site preparation now, and then be all ready to start the excavation when the time comes. If this is what's happening, I think it's a good sign. It tells me that Mr. Grandmaison wants to get going on the project as soon as he can.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 2:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good news. I won't get too excited though until I see construction fencing around the site.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 3:07 AM

Quote:

Good news. I won't get too excited though until I see construction fencing around the site.
It was a bulldozer so I'd say they're going to remove the asphalt to get the property ready for excavation. Might as well do that now, no need to wait.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:

Somebody has been on the site. I noticed this morning that there is now some fencing on one side of the container and a pile of gravel on the other side. Again, I can't see why the developer couldn't start site prep before/while the city is doing the street work they've planned for August. At least they should be able to remove the old asphalt from the property.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 6:30 PM

A lot of activity has been happening on the land. Large amount of earth, underground concrete sewer pipes, traffic cones etc. It looks like it's being used as a staging area for the city in preparation for the underground work they'll be doing on Wesley and Victoria. I forget how long it's supposed to take, but hopefully Frederic Properties can get going on their project this fall.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 3:27 PM

Valdo Grandmaison, owner of Frederic Properties, had said that the aim was to start his project in late September or October. It would be dependent on the city finishing their underground work on Victoria & Wesley streets. Driving by the area this morning, it looks like the city is a long way from finishing their work.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 11:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, of all the major projects slated to get started in Moncton this year, this is the only one still pending. I presume this is because the city is still using this lot as a staging area for the infrastructure work on the adjacent roadways.

Grandmaison must be tearing his hair out by the roots. The window of the fall construction season is rapidly narrowing. There will be a lot of digging necessary for the underground parking structure.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 1:57 PM

There's going to be 3 levels of underground parking. I'm not sure how long it would take to excavate, but it sounds like a major undertaking. If I were a betting man, I'd say that they won't start until next year.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
There's going to be 3 levels of underground parking. I'm not sure how long it would take to excavate, but it sounds like a major undertaking. If I were a betting man, I'd say that they won't start until next year.
Once you get ~8 feet down winter shouldn't matter all that much, right?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Once you get ~8 feet down winter shouldn't matter all that much, right?
I honestly don't know. I was thinking that it would take quite a while to dig down 3 floors, and right now the city is still using the lot as a staging area. So they aren't even ready to start yet. What affect would the winter weather have on this type of job? Maybe somebody who knows more could shed some light on it for us.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 8:25 PM

As of this morning, Wesley Street is completely torn up, however they are now re-building it. So it would seem like the water/sewer system has been upgraded.

Can Mr. Grandmaison start his huge project at this time of year, considering the weather that's just around the corner?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 1:53 PM

Quote:
So, of all the major projects slated to get started in Moncton this year, this is the only one still pending. I presume this is because the city is still using this lot as a staging area for the infrastructure work on the adjacent roadways.

Grandmaison must be tearing his hair out by the roots. The window of the fall construction season is rapidly narrowing. There will be a lot of digging necessary for the underground parking structure.
Drove by again yesterday. Wesley is still torn up. I think Frederic Properties will have to wait until the spring to start on this project.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Drove by again yesterday. Wesley is still torn up. I think Frederic Properties will have to wait until the spring to start on this project.
Wesley Street is still closed today, but it looks like they're close to being ready for pavement. Could Frederic Properties do some site preparation this late, like at least removing the old asphalt? Or could they still start excavation?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Wesley Street is still closed today, but it looks like they're close to being ready for pavement. Could Frederic Properties do some site preparation this late, like at least removing the old asphalt? Or could they still start excavation?
In some ways I'm looking forward to St. Bernard Square more than I am 20 Record Street. It would be nice if they could do at least some initial site prep this fall, but I would not be surprised to see them put everything off until the springtime.

It really all depends on how far along they are with negotiating with the subcontractors, and how locked in they are with the construction timelines (for example, when do they have the tower crane rented for, and for how long?)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:36 PM

Quote:
In some ways I'm looking forward to St. Bernard Square more than I am 20 Record Street. It would be nice if they could do at least some initial site prep this fall, but I would not be surprised to see them put everything off until the springtime.

It really all depends on how far along they are with negotiating with the subcontractors, and how locked in they are with the construction timelines (for example, when do they have the tower crane rented for, and for how long?)
I think so too. Maybe do whatever they can with the site this fall so they can hit the ground running in the spring.

One thing I wonder about is if this project will spur more development in the neighbourhood. I'm confident 20 Record Street will, but curious if we'll see more activity as a result of St. Bernard Square.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:55 PM

Here is a February 25th quote from the CBC story on this project:

"Grandmaison said the aim is to start construction by late September or October and would take two and a half years"

Wesley and Victoria streets are still closed as of this afternoon.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 12:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Surrounding roadwork is now complete, but, this late in the season, I certainly do not expect to see shovels in the ground until springtime.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Surrounding roadwork is now complete, but, this late in the season, I certainly do not expect to see shovels in the ground until springtime.
Plenty of buildings break ground at this time of year in Canada - although less likely it's still possible. When you also consider the shortage in the trades it would be a great time to break construction. And if not, the Spring isn't too far away!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 1:22 PM

With the amount of underground work they'll need to do (3 stories of underground parking + foundation), they probably don't really want to start digging while its frozen; so waiting for the spring thaw would make sense. If they really wanted to I'm sure they could work through the winter; but I doubt the extra costs would be worth it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces