HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:48 PM

Lightbulb Other stores taking over former cinemas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanier View Post
The space previously used by the cinemas is currently empty and will remain empty for the foreseeable future. There are no plans to re-open it as a cinema. The cinema used to be located behind that black tiled wall to the left of the elevators.

The area occupied by Simons is solely in the new development.
Vanier, once movie theatres on the top floor in malls like the Rideau Centre, World Exchange Plaza, and Place de Ville Podium were designed as cinemas and they closed down, it is difficult to convert to something else, because the rent is very high. Since the Rideau Centre, WEP, and Place de Ville Podium buildings are located downtown and close to Parliament Hill, the rent will be very expensive. If they converted the former cinemas at the Rideau Centre and WEP into retail or restaurants, nobody is going to go on the top floor to eat or to shop. I suppose that they could convert the former cinema space into offices, but there are already a lot of offices downtown. I was thinking that 'GoodLife Fitness' would move to the former cinema space, but it has a pool and they do not want to move the pool upstairs. Last December, I asked one of the construction workers, what will become of the former cinema space, he heard rumors about a movie theatre going there or if nobody wanted to take over the former cinema space, they would just leave an empty space. The manager Cindy Vanbuskirk does not know what will be the permanent lease of the former cinemas. The Place de Ville podium cinema space has been left empty for 20 years since 1996. They removed the big screens, the carpets, chairs, and snack bars. They were thinking of building a 19-storey office tower in the space of the Place De Ville podium space, but I have not heard any recent news. They are building a station for the LRT inside the Place de Ville Podium building, but I am not sure whether it will take over the cinema space. They were thinking of converting the former cinema space at the WEP into offices, but they are still empty. They built windows for tenants to look inside.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 11:54 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by loga0082 View Post
Vanier, once movie theatres on the top floor in malls like the Rideau Centre, World Exchange Plaza, and Place de Ville Podium were designed as cinemas and they closed down, it is difficult to convert to something else, because the rent is very high. Since the Rideau Centre, WEP, and Place de Ville Podium buildings are located downtown and close to Parliament Hill, the rent will be very expensive. If they converted the former cinemas at the Rideau Centre and WEP into retail or restaurants, nobody is going to go on the top floor to eat or to shop. I suppose that they could convert the former cinema space into offices, but there are already a lot of offices downtown. I was thinking that 'GoodLife Fitness' would move to the former cinema space, but it has a pool and they do not want to move the pool upstairs. Last December, I asked one of the construction workers, what will become of the former cinema space, he heard rumors about a movie theatre going there or if nobody wanted to take over the former cinema space, they would just leave an empty space. The manager Cindy Vanbuskirk does not know what will be the permanent lease of the former cinemas. The Place de Ville podium cinema space has been left empty for 20 years since 1996. They removed the big screens, the carpets, chairs, and snack bars. They were thinking of building a 19-storey office tower in the space of the Place De Ville podium space, but I have not heard any recent news. They are building a station for the LRT inside the Place de Ville Podium building, but I am not sure whether it will take over the cinema space. They were thinking of converting the former cinema space at the WEP into offices, but they are still empty. They built windows for tenants to look inside.
On a few occasions over the past decade or so I visited government offices in the podium building. It seemed like a pretty big space, and the floor was level. So I don't know how it relates to the former two screen cinema.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 1:36 PM

Arrow Podium Building cinemas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
On a few occasions over the past decade or so I visited government offices in the podium building. It seemed like a pretty big space, and the floor was level. So I don't know how it relates to the former two screen cinema.
The Place de Ville Podium cinemas were enclosed in the middle of the Place de Ville Podium buildings. They were surrounded by government offices. They were know as PiggyBack theatres in which one was on the ground floor and you went up to an escalator onto the first floor. As you entered the Place de Ville Podium building, the doors which were sealed off with paper were where the former cinemas were. They remained empty for 20 years. They were movie theatres for 25 years from 1971-1996. Norman, if you google Place de ville Podium cinemas January 2014, there will be photos of what the Place de ville cinemas looked like being demolished. Even if the big screens and seats have disappeared, they are still are in an uneven floor. Go check it out!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:56 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Go check it out!
Sylvia, you do know that that emoticon means "I think you are crazy", right?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 7:07 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
The Place de Ville Podium cinemas were enclosed in the middle of the Place de Ville Podium buildings. They were surrounded by government offices. They were know as PiggyBack theatres in which one was on the ground floor and you went up to an escalator onto the first floor. As you entered the Place de Ville Podium building, the doors which were sealed off with paper were where the former cinemas were. They remained empty for 20 years. They were movie theatres for 25 years from 1971-1996. Norman, if you google Place de ville Podium cinemas January 2014, there will be photos of what the Place de ville cinemas looked like being demolished. Even if the big screens and seats have disappeared, they are still are in an uneven floor. Go check it out!
I'd been to those theatres a few times back in the day. I recall taking the elevator. Always thought that it was an odd set up.

The cinemas at westgate were also a strange set up. I recall taking the stairs up. Tough to do with a date walking in high-heels.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 7:30 PM

Arrow Apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Sylvia, you do know that that emoticon means "I think you are crazy", right?
Dear rocketphish:

I strongly apologize about what I said about the 'Go check out' the photos of the former Place de Ville podium cinemas dated January 2014 in the Internet. I will not talk about the Place de Ville cinemas in the Rideau Centre skyscraperpage. I am going off the topic. Sorry about that, rocketphish!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:46 PM

The Place de Ville Cinema space is still there. They rent it out once in a while for events. They even announced the 2017 Multi-Media Show at Lyon Station in there (it will also be used as the starting point of the Multi-Media Tour).

As far as I know, the only cinema that was converted to office space was the one on Queen at Bank.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 2:05 PM

Unhappy Exhibitions where former cinemas were

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The Place de Ville Cinema space is still there. They rent it out once in a while for events. They even announced the 2017 Multi-Media Show at Lyon Station in there (it will also be used as the starting point of the Multi-Media Tour).

As far as I know, the only cinema that was converted to office space was the one on Queen at Bank.
J.OT13, you are right. I did read somewhere in 2010 that they had a Titanic exhibition and some other where the former cinemas the Place de Ville Podium once stood. How they were able to put an exhibition on an uneven floor is another story, because when I saw an article dated January 2014, the floors where the cinemas stood looked like an uneven floor. What exhibition did they hold recently in the former cinema space? J.OT13, the former cinema which along Queen and Bank which was converted into office space was the Capitol Square Movie Theatres which once held three movie theatres. My major concern is the Rideau Centre cinemas. They still have not come up with a permanent lease. Most of the shops and restaurants in the existing Rideau Centre and expansion already have permanent leases, except for the former cinemas. I went yesterday morning to the fourth floor and I saw that the construction workers left the door open and as I peeked, I think that I saw one of the former cinemas. I could see a big square, where the big screen once stood and all the chairs were removed. Did you take a peek and see what the former cinemas looked like now? I truly wish that they come up with a permanent lease for the former cinemas. They cannot just leave an empty space. It has been over three years that it has been left vacant. The expansion is going to open soon on August 11th. They better hurry up.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
J.OT13, you are right. I did read somewhere in 2010 that they had a Titanic exhibition and some other where the former cinemas the Place de Ville Podium once stood. How they were able to put an exhibition on an uneven floor is another story, because when I saw an article dated January 2014, the floors where the cinemas stood looked like an uneven floor. What exhibition did they hold recently in the former cinema space? J.OT13, the former cinema which along Queen and Bank which was converted into office space was the Capitol Square Movie Theatres which once held three movie theatres. My major concern is the Rideau Centre cinemas. They still have not come up with a permanent lease. Most of the shops and restaurants in the existing Rideau Centre and expansion already have permanent leases, except for the former cinemas. I went yesterday morning to the fourth floor and I saw that the construction workers left the door open and as I peeked, I think that I saw one of the former cinemas. I could see a big square, where the big screen once stood and all the chairs were removed. Did you take a peek and see what the former cinemas looked like now? I truly wish that they come up with a permanent lease for the former cinemas. They cannot just leave an empty space. It has been over three years that it has been left vacant. The expansion is going to open soon on August 11th. They better hurry up.
It will be hard to lease to a store (it requires a lot of renovation to reconfigure the space and the 4th floor is somewhat isolated from the rest of the mall). Staying empty may be the most likely outcome for a while. I think a food court or gym would have been a good use, but I'm not sure the structure, plumbing, etc. is designed for that.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:30 PM

It could be a good spot for mall administration functions like a management office or a security office, if the Rideau Centre management needs it.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 8:27 PM

Setting up some auditorium space for the convention centre might be useful

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 4:31 PM

Question Auditorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Setting up some auditorium space for the convention centre might be useful
m0nkeyman, that is a great idea! I would say that an auditorium could go well in the former cinema space. It is big enough for one. Massage therapy office, chiropractor, and physiotherapy centres can go in the space where the former cinemas once stood. This could be a great idea.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
m0nkeyman, that is a great idea! I would say that an auditorium could go well in the former cinema space. It is big enough for one. Massage therapy office, chiropractor, and physiotherapy centres can go in the space where the former cinemas once stood. This could be a great idea.
safe injection site?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 2:50 AM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

Last time I looked into that area, the theater slope was still there. It's too costly to "un-slope", just like at WEP, so it'll stay empty awaiting a potential new cinema. Its a completely useless space for anyone else, so time will tell if someone wants to operate from there again, although it doesn't fit the current vision of the mall, but who knows down the line.

Quote:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 2:36 AM

Arrow New Cinemas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_junkie1 View Post
Last time I looked into that area, the theater slope was still there. It's too costly to "un-slope", just like at WEP, so it'll stay empty awaiting a potential new cinema. Its a completely useless space for anyone else, so time will tell if someone wants to operate from there again, although it doesn't fit the current vision of the mall, but who knows down the line.
Macjunkie, I doubt that the Rideau Centre cinema space will be movie theatres again. The seats, screens, and snack bar have been removed. Once the WEP and the Rideau Centre cinemas were designed as movie theatres, it is difficult to convert into something ekes, because the rent is very high and it us located downtown close to Parliament hill. Many people found it a nuisance having to park and pay lots of money for parking. Who knows what the former cinemas will become in the future? We have to wait and see.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 3:56 AM

I was quickly walking by the "new" section of the Rideau Centre last night and noticed that Anthropologie does not have an entrance from the street. It seems to be just a giant display window. Has anyone else noticed that? I was passing by quite fast and it was dark so perhaps I missed a door....but not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 8:55 PM

Talking Anthropologie

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
I was quickly walking by the "new" section of the Rideau Centre last night and noticed that Anthropologie does not have an entrance from the street. It seems to be just a giant display window. Has anyone else noticed that? I was passing by quite fast and it was dark so perhaps I missed a door....but not so sure.
Movebyleap, I did not notice it at all and I walked passed this shop many times this week.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 7:36 PM
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK

You never know though... It's a useless space to anyone else, so maybe in the future it could become something like that again. It doesn't change my life if a theater returns or not, but down the line, it could be an option worth exploring again. Or maybe a smaller type area for people who put on plays or stuff like that. Or a conference room of types. There are options, but I don't see it being retail. It'll stay closed up as long as it needs to be and no one will even blink about it

Quote:
Macjunkie, I doubt that the Rideau Centre cinema space will be movie theatres again. The seats, screens, and snack bar have been removed. Once the WEP and the Rideau Centre cinemas were designed as movie theatres, it is difficult to convert into something ekes, because the rent is very high and it us located downtown close to Parliament hill. Many people found it a nuisance having to park and pay lots of money for parking. Who knows what the former cinemas will become in the future? We have to wait and see.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 1:56 AM

Question Empty Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_junkie1 View Post
You never know though... It's a useless space to anyone else, so maybe in the future it could become something like that again. It doesn't change my life if a theater returns or not, but down the line, it could be an option worth exploring again. Or maybe a smaller type area for people who put on plays or stuff like that. Or a conference room of types. There are options, but I don't see it being retail. It'll stay closed up as long as it needs to be and no one will even blink about it
macjunkie, I walked pass by the Rideau Centre and walked up to the fourth floor where the former cinemas use to be. I saw a construction worker exit from the former cinema space. I have asked what will become of the former cinemas. He told me that he and the people who work in the whole mall do not know. He told me that it will remain empty for a while. I asked him, if new cinemas could go there, but he did not think so. I do not believe that they will put plays, because there is the NAC very close by. It could be possible that conference rooms could go there. They are big enough for them. Maybe an art gallery or entertainment shows could go in the cinema space, but I do not know. I am just speculating.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 5:04 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Simons says Rideau Centre is the place to be

David Sali, OBJ
Published on August 09, 2016

From his vantage point overlooking the ByWard Market in what will soon be the Rideau Centre’s newest department store, Peter Simons sees a different Ottawa than the one he used to know.

“The first time I came with my brother, I told (him), ‘Let’s go. We’re going to do a store in Ottawa,’” the 51-year-old CEO of the Quebec-based Simons chain said in a recent chat with OBJ.

“We were walking down Rideau Street, and there was a police arrest – really violent; there were guns and stuff – and my brother looked at me and said, ‘This is completely crazy.’ It was another era. The city’s really moved forward. It’s been on our radar for a long time. Sometimes you just need the right place and the right project.”

The downtown Ottawa that Mr. Simons visited a decade ago seems light years removed from a place he believes is in the midst of a renaissance. Now, he says, it’s the right place with the right project: the $360-million expansion of the Rideau Centre in which Simons will take centre stage when it opens its first Ottawa location on Thursday.

During a 30-minute tour of the 100,000-square-foot space in the mall’s newly expanded wing at the corner of Rideau and Nicholas streets, Mr. Simons spoke freely about the store and his company, which was founded in Quebec City in 1840 and is the oldest private family-owned enterprise in the country.

“There aren’t many businesses like us left,” he said.

The fifth-generation chief executive is known for being thoughtful and forthright with the media, and his recent interview with OBJ was no exception.

He didn’t deny being slightly stressed over the last-minute push to complete the store as he surveyed dozens of workers drywalling, sawing and hammering away, but he said the physical structure itself isn’t his main concern.

“We’re really focused now on our staff and our training, honestly,” Mr. Simons said. “I can see people coming to the store more and more, yes, for the building and the experience, but the community experience is just the great people, so we’re really focused on our recruiting now and finding … people that are going to really be committed and understand our values.”

Still, when you’ve carved out a reputation for designing stores that don’t fit a cookie-cutter mould, the actual building is important.

The Rideau Centre location will feature a work from Canadian artist Shayne Dark, which will be suspended in the centre of the escalator atrium. Called Torrential Red, the 22-foot-long sculpture is crafted out of ironwood saplings saturated in red pigment.

“Our stores aren’t just a box,” said Mr. Simons. “These are places that we really care about.”

Clearly a proud Canadian, he said the chain is also working with renowned artist and writer Douglas Coupland on a piece of art to celebrate the country’s 150th birthday in 2017.

“These are projects that don’t happen, to be honest, when it’s not a company from here,” he said. “I’m hoping people appreciate the things that we’re doing.”

Corporate responsibility is a recurring theme for Mr. Simons, whose company is planning a store in Quebec City that will be equipped with solar panels and charging stations for electric cars and will be designed to produce as much energy as it consumes.

The retailer also contributes to the communities in which it does business through various avenues such as providing financial support to Quebec City’s symphony orchestra and Vancouver-based Ballet BC.

It’s never bad for business to be seen as a good corporate citizen, but Mr. Simons insisted it goes beyond that.

“I think consumers are really smart,” he said. “I think there are certain things about who we are that they appreciate. We’re trying to participate in the communities where we’re working. I’m hoping people appreciate that, as another factor that makes us a bit different, and support us.”

As someone who grew up in the retail industry, Mr. Simons is well aware of the struggles of Canadian-based companies in an increasingly cutthroat business climate.

Years ago, he and his brother Richard, the firm’s vice-president of merchandising, made a conscious decision to spend big money to fortify Simons’ e-commerce presence. Since then, online sales have become a major driver of growth for the retailer, which does about $400 million worth of business each year.

“We’ve put everything on the table to build not a big company, but a modern company,” said Mr. Simons. “We’ve invested enormously in technology and the web and our stores and the experience. Our gamble is we could build a world-class company in retail here in Canada, which is more and more rare. It’s been a lot of heavy lifting. There’s a lot of risk on the table.”

The firm has also invested heavily in its most important resource, giving its entire workforce an across-the-board raise three years ago.

“We’re humble enough to see the risk and the change, but we’ve got amazing people,” Mr. Simons said. “I just keep telling myself, you can get great people together with the values we all share, and they understand why you’re trying to do what you’re doing. I go to bed every night saying to myself, ‘If you’ve got great people, it’s got to work.’”

Rideau Centre renaissance

Simons’ entry into the Ottawa market couldn’t have come at a better time for the Quebec City-based apparel chain, says a prominent local retail analyst.

“In some ways, they are kind of lucky,” said Barry Nabatian of consulting firm Shore-Tanner & Associates.

With a sluggish loonie keeping shoppers at home and planned federal infrastructure projects promising to give the local economy a boost, things are looking up for higher-end retailers such as Simons, he said.

“The Rideau Centre is the perfect place for them,” Mr. Nabatian said, explaining that the addition of luxury stores such as Nordstrom, Tiffany and Michael Kors has made the downtown mall the preferred shopping destination for upper middle-class consumers.

“It has jumped several steps above all the other shopping centres in Ottawa,” he said.

Simons, which is opening its first store in Ottawa this week, will add something new to the Rideau Centre’s mix, Mr. Nabatian said. While Nordstrom is more like a collection of boutique retailers, Simons is essentially a high-end department store, he said.

“They will not compete; they will complement each other. Simons will add a great deal more attractiveness to Rideau Centre.”

Rideau Centre general manager Cindy VanBuskirk says the addition of Simons is all part of the mall’s long-term strategy to broaden its retail mix. The store is one of 21 new retailers that are set to open on Thursday as part of owner Cadillac Fairview’s $360-million overhaul of the mall that began three years ago.

Other brands that will be making their Ottawa debut in the newly expanded Rideau Centre include women’s clothing chain Anthropologie, Spanish clothier Massimo Dutti and NYX Cosmetics.

“We’re really looking to bring new best-in-class retailers not only to the property but to Ottawa,” Ms. VanBuskirk said. “We think that’s a big win for everyone. There’s an audience in Ottawa that wants to have that sort of retail experience. If you can deliver that retail mix and you can deliver an elegant interior environment, you’ve really got a great recipe, I think, for success over the long term.”

Still, she dismissed any suggestion of the expansion being a “luxury wing,” noting the new space also includes retailers that target a broader market segment such as H&M, which is opening a 25,000-square-foot store.

“The fact is we’re downtown, we’re urban,” Ms. VanBuskirk said. “We need to have an H&M, we need to have some of the more popular-priced retailers to complement our offerings at the other end. I don’t think people shop exclusively in any one part of the spectrum. I think customers are very open to shopping at different price points.”

According to Mr. Nabatian, 40 per cent of the city’s households earn more than $150,000 a year. Other malls looking to grab a share of that upscale consumer market would do well to court Simons, he said, suggesting Bayshore Shopping Centre would be an ideal location for a second store in the capital.

“The Ottawa market can for sure support two Simons,” he said. “There is a lot of money in the west end.”

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Retail/2016-...-to-be%0D%0A/1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa