HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 4:41 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Many of these people are currently in buildings just far enough away from the core to be inconvenient
I can think of three IOL buildings housing their employees that are within a five minute walk of the new HQ.

Quote:
....moving to King square will hopefully mean the need for services like grocery stores etc.
How? Will the employees be moving residential addresses because they've moved professional addresses? Perhaps, perhaps, we'll consider more convenience stores in the immediate area, but a grocery store can't be warranted without a large uptick in the population on the Peninsula. The IOLHQ does nothing to guarantee this uptick. Will there be brand new hires? Perhaps. What incentive is there for them to live in Uptown over anywhere in the suburbs?

Quote:
It will also mean (I hope!) the need for quality housing uptown as once the HQ is built and gentrification continues, more and more people will want to live in the core.
Again, how? If I work for IOL and live in Quispamsis changing office address in the Uptown doesn't necessitate a move to the Uptown any more than my current office address Uptown does. Gentrification is sort of a chicken and egg thing...do people come before services (higher quality housing, groceries) or do the services lead to the people?

Quote:
I recognize that this is probably an over simplification of this but although it certainly is not a silver bullet it will restore hope which in turn will spur growth. In my opinion, attitude is part of the problem we have in Saint John. Is it the whole issue...no.....we still have many other issues to deal with but this will be a big step forward.
I have no issue with optimism such as yours on a project because it's far better than the negative attitude that persists throughout the city; however, I can't sit on the sidelines and watch blind optimism run amok, either.

Quote:
Will any of this happen? Who knows. I certainly don't but I do know that if we do nothing, nothing will happen. Sitting here with our fingers crossed isn't good enough. We must have faith as we have been disappointed enough over the years...by industry and government alike.
Agreed. Faith would be nice. Putting faith in a company that negotiated the City down to an embarrassing tax deal so rotten that the City had to run to the Province in Fredericton for help? I'm a bit skeptical.

As of now I see the new IOL as a great new building for the Uptown at the cost of consolidation of a lot of other office space in the immediate area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardTruth View Post
We have to get some new blood into the system, the IBM announcement is actually better news than the IOL HQ in this regard.

Don't get me wrong the IOL HQ is a great thing for Uptown but its not a silver bullet solution like some people think. We are way too quick to jump onto those type of bandwagons here "Eider Rock will save us!" "Energy East will save us!".

We need to focus on the smaller businesses which are the real driving force of growth, not boom and bust style mega-projects.
Absolutely.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 11:17 AM

Ammenities close to the office can be important. I know for me, I use the Superstore next to work more than the one next to my home, since it's just as easy to stop in there after work and pick up what I need. Plus there's also businesses servicing the offices during the day.

Also, I'm pretty sure Irving isn't planning on their new offices to be filled to capacity right off the bat, so over time as they do grow, that will be more people coming in in total.

As for emptying the offices around the city; I guess we'll have to see how things shake up. That will free up a lot of office space around the city, which could be good opportunities for other businesses who might be looking to consolidate or just move to a more central location or a bigger location. It's going to be 2-3 years before Irving clears out to the new building.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 3:45 PM

[QUOTE=JHikka;7412595]I can think of three IOL buildings housing their employees that are within a five minute walk of the new HQ.

How? Will the employees be moving residential addresses because they've moved professional addresses? Perhaps, perhaps, we'll consider more convenience stores in the immediate area, but a grocery store can't be warranted without a large uptick in the population on the Peninsula. The IOLHQ does nothing to guarantee this uptick. Will there be brand new hires? Perhaps. What incentive is there for them to live in Uptown over anywhere in the suburbs?

As I note below, it will be a slow process but I do believe it will happen. We have 2 demographics at play as I see it - those 45-55 and the under 30 set. The older folks, who have the big house in QP have kids who are either gone or close to going - big house, no kids....lets downsize; cut the commute; be closer to restaurants etc etc. Those under 30 and single - like to be close to restaurants/bars/entertainment....To attract them we need good solid housing stock that is in good neighbourhoods with access to services/entertainment etc. We are already seeing a degree of this with the condo developments and Historica's many developments not to mention Waterloo Village improvements.

Again, how? If I work for IOL and live in Quispamsis changing office address in the Uptown doesn't necessitate a move to the Uptown any more than my current office address Uptown does. Gentrification is sort of a chicken and egg thing...do people come before services (higher quality housing, groceries) or do the services lead to the people?

I never said there were any guarantees; nor did I say a grocery store for example would be built. I am optimistic that this, along with other developments in the core could ultimately lead to services etc. You are right, it is a chicken and egg game but I did live in an area of Toronto for many years that experienced gentrification and ultimately lead to an increase in services or an expansion/improvement of services already in place. Yes, I know, this isn't Toronto but in the 8 years I have been here I do see some similarities - will it happen as quickly as it did in TO? Not a chance but it will happen (in my opinion).

I have no issue with optimism such as yours on a project because it's far better than the negative attitude that persists throughout the city; however, I can't sit on the sidelines and watch blind optimism run amok, either.

I don't believe my optimism is blind as I have lived this to some extent - again in a VERY different city and VERY different economic environment but I am confident that it will happen....eventually!

Agreed. Faith would be nice. Putting faith in a company that negotiated the City down to an embarrassing tax deal so rotten that the City had to run to the Province in Fredericton for help? I'm a bit skeptical.

I am not here to judge any company for negotiating a business deal and for the record, I'm not an employee of this organization or dependent on them for my livelihood. That being said, healthy skepticism is never a bad thing. Are they looking out for their best interests - of course they are and they should be as any business should. It is up to our elected officials to look out for ours....and I know, there are gaping holes on that front - both local and provincial!!

As of now I see the new IOL as a great new building for the Uptown at the cost of consolidation of a lot of other office space in the immediate area.

Yes, it's consolidation but the little I know about any Irving Company tells me that there is a master plan somewhere - Irving in my opinion, sees this a one piece of a much larger strategic puzzle.

I enjoy the debate but on most issues I don't think we're that far apart - I'm probably just more optimistic. Like I've said before what I do know 100% is that if we do nothing; nothing will happen. Lets' chat in 3-5 five years and compare notes....

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 1:28 AM

The new bylaw is scheduled to take affect on May 2nd. Has anyone heard if there will be shovels in the ground on the 3rd?! I know there are folks on here from IO; so someone must know something!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 12:20 PM
Spem Reduxit

First of all I am NOT an IO employee, but like most of us here, we are close to those who are...and yes Mr. Arthur Irving himself had communicated to a group of employees (which my source was at) that shovels WILL be in the ground that first week in May!

I think the 'ol fart just wants to really see his legacy building completed so he can fullfill a promise to his father

Joking aside, we'll see cranes in the SJ skyline very soon!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 10:37 PM

Nice postcard through the door today with a pic of the HQ.....all 11 floors! And a link to their website. http://homeofficesj.ca

Can't wait!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 9:55 PM

http://www.saintjohn.ca/site/media/S...ket%281%29.pdf

Looks like a meeting is set up for this Thursday at the Council chamber.

Can anyone here give a Cliff's Notes version of all this?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
Can anyone here give a Cliff's Notes version of all this?
If you scroll down to the PowerPoint slides, they give a pretty quick look at the key points.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 12:28 AM

First and Second Reading passed tonight.

Third reading is this Monday night, the final meeting of this current council before the May 9 municipal election.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 1:08 AM

Quote:
First and Second Reading passed tonight.

Third reading is this Monday night, the final meeting of this current council before the May 9 municipal election.
Great news. How was the session?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Great news. How was the session?
Never mind. Just read the CBC. Sounds like quite a show!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...rdon-1.3558298

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 6:25 PM

You can watch the meeting here:

http://rogerstv.com/media?lid=237&rid=19&gid=251721

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Quite the show. Good for Mel, he stayed the course but particularly disappointed in Reardon. Did she not vote yes just a few weeks ago to proceed with the drafting of the bylaw amendment. This will likely have some blowback on her in the upcoming elections.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 12:45 AM

Now I know where this guy stands...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2671062/sa.../?sf25370191=1

Quote:
An Irving owned parking lot continues to sit empty in uptown Saint John as the company awaits proper approvals to move forward with a new headquarters for Irving Oil and its thousand employees.

A special meeting of Common Council Thursday night saw first and second reading given to a by-law amendment the city believes will allow it to side-step an appeal so the multi-million dollar project can get started.

Jim Bezanson, the former city heritage officer behind the appeal of the heritage board decision, says council’s decision may not provide the project certainty it is looking for.

“They’ve now I think encroached upon my Charter rights and freedoms guaranteed under Section 15 of the Canadian Constitution and that’s appealable to the Supreme Court of Canada,” Bezanson said.

Councillors on either side of the fence

The meeting wasn’t without its drama when attendees were allowed to speak only to the amendment, not the process itself.

Councillor Donna Reardon was the only nay vote. She thought the public should have been given a longer leash because everyone has to feel comfortable moving forward.

Reardon’s Ward 3 colleague Gerry Lowe voted in favour, saying he thought it was the right thing to do.

“I guess most of the people I spoke to are the building trades, the working people and the taxes,” Lowe said.

“The taxes going from an empty parking lot to an 11-storey building is a big tax revenue for the city of Saint John.”

This issue is expected to return to Common Council on Monday night where it’s widely expected the bylaw amendments will be given third and final reading.
This is why the Heritage Board should be, to me, dissolved. They want total power over all projects to be built Uptown, and they should not have any.

This is nothing more to me than Jim wanting to keep his power for life, regardless of hare-brained and stupid he is.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Now I know where this guy stands...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2671062/sa.../?sf25370191=1

This is why the Heritage Board should be, to me, dissolved. They want total power over all projects to be built Uptown, and they should not have any.

This is nothing more to me than Jim wanting to keep his power for life, regardless of hare-brained and stupid he is.
This is a power trip plain and simple. The Supreme Court? Seriously? Get over yourself Jim. Even if it is accepted by the court....and only 80 of approx 600 annual requests are heard, it would be months or possibly years away. But Go ahead, waste Yours and our money. Maybe the international court in The Hague would be interested! I suspect this may be a ploy to see if a cash settlement could be won for the hardship he has experienced.....there's the true motive.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:58 PM

Final reading of the bylaw change approved by all EXCEPT Councillor Reardon. I believe it is effective tomorrow......lets have the sod turning soon!

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Final reading of the bylaw change approved by all EXCEPT Councillor Reardon. I believe it is effective tomorrow......lets have the sod turning soon!
Jim B. has become unhinged - talking about a challenge to the SCOC.
I fully expect he will get a court order to halt construction - delaying construction until there is a hearing on whether council had the right to pass an amendment. He talked about his rights being infringed, although he wants to infringe on council's right to pass an amendment (something he himself suggested city may have to do earlier on in this controversy).

If he is such a steward of preservation - he would of painted his doors which are disgusting. Apparently he is afraid of doing that because property taxes may go up. Who knows ?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:10 PM

Fantastic to see this project get past this minor speed bump so quickly and that things are moving ahead as planned.

I have been following this thread and think some of you still thinking in Saint John's historic pessimistic mind frame. This project is a HUGE win for uptown Saint John. Are people going to move to the uptown just because their office moved a few blocks and its shiny new? Not necessarily, however people are emotional creatures and this fantastic addition combined with all of the other great projects and investment in the uptown area is changing peoples mindset and opinion of the whole uptown core.

It is not just the immediate effect of a fabulous shiny new building but also the investment that will go into nearby apartment buildings, retail, etc. on people wanting to capitalize on the additional foot traffic and focus on this area.

I applaud those of you who continue to be optimistic and enthusiastic about our city and the amazing progress we are making on so may fronts. We have assets that other cities in our region cannot compete with and we are finially starting to take advantage of that!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Fantastic to see this project get past this minor speed bump so quickly and that things are moving ahead as planned.

I have been following this thread and think some of you still thinking in Saint John's historic pessimistic mind frame. This project is a HUGE win for uptown Saint John. Are people going to move to the uptown just because their office moved a few blocks and its shiny new? Not necessarily, however people are emotional creatures and this fantastic addition combined with all of the other great projects and investment in the uptown area is changing peoples mindset and opinion of the whole uptown core.

It is not just the immediate effect of a fabulous shiny new building but also the investment that will go into nearby apartment buildings, retail, etc. on people wanting to capitalize on the additional foot traffic and focus on this area.

I applaud those of you who continue to be optimistic and enthusiastic about our city and the amazing progress we are making on so may fronts. We have assets that other cities in our region cannot compete with and we are finially starting to take advantage of that!
Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 6:57 PM

There are a number of property dealings going on nearby to this project as well, from the sale and subsequent closure of the large parking lot between the provincial courthouse and fire department HQ, to the possible demolition of 38 Sydney Street [across the street from the Irving HQ]. Not sure exactly what is going on, but there could be a parking structure proposal in the works, although word in the neighbourhood seem to vary depending on who one talks to.

Also, I know Jim's appeal has proven to be unpopular - at least with those who have become outspoken about the project - and while I want to see this building go up and not go added to the long list of dead Saint John projects, I think some of the preceding posts are treading too far into the realm of personal insults when the real debate surrounds the merits of both the building's design and the process for approvals in at both the municipal and provincial levels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces