HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 4:05 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

i too have questions about the efficiency of the campus, but i will say that i completely disagree with that many of you are saying.

saying that creative people need 'nooks and crannies' is not true at all. just look at japan, there are tons and tons of award winning, simplistic, white-walled buildings which inspire thousands of people who work and live around. churches, college buildings, etc... inspiration varies with individuals, not everyone needs a cozy corner to sit and ponder. and hell, apple did an amazing job imo with the courtyard idea, it gives dozens and dozens of 'nooks and crannies' for people to get inspired, and draw inspiration from nature.

the simplistic design is perfect for apple, a company which (if you haven't noticed) whips out simple designs. the pentagon comparison is only valid because it's a large, circular building. other than that they have nothing in common. apple will hire the best interior designers, space planners, and obviously draw feedback from employees. i still want to know about efficiency, but to me it seems like it won't be much of a problem. there's underground parking so there's bound to be an underground connection system, i wouldn't be surprised if they had shuttles either.

another thing, a pentagon has 5 sides, that means you can only get either 5 180 degree views, or 5 252 degree ones. and the only way you'll be able to get those 250 degree views is if you stand in a corner, one of the only 5 corners. other than that you're stuck with the same view all along one of the sides.

one last thing, apple isn't google either, they don't need or want swings and hammocks everywhere. google is reaching out to creative folks, apple wants people to come to them. i'll also disagree with your trend-setting/lifestyle comments. there are die hard apple fans, just the same way there are die hard microsoft one's. most (including me) just don't care. apple has whipped out some amazing products, and (even though i know nothing about computers) i doubt any company out there is close to matching it's software/products. the only real competitor for apple is google.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I don't find this very creative or creativity-inspiring. On the interior, the view from every single fucking window will be the same (other than the foliage). How horribly monotonous. From the exterior, pretty much the same story. Creative types need variety, nooks, crannies, different environments for different moods, etc.; those things foster innovation.
But the foliage is precisely what will make every view unique as long as the landscaping is done well. Moreover, a building's plans and sections tell you about what kind of nooks, crannies and other interior spaces it houses. We have neither-- just some blurry renderings of the building-as-object and its footprint-- so it's a tad premature to claim that no such spaces will be provided.

Based on what we do know, it's clear that this building isn't urban, but it certainly doesn't embrace the suburbs (even though it's fundamentally suburban). It appears to be a giant cloister-- essentially inward looking-- surrounded by an artificial forest meant to give the illusion of nature/seclusion. Which is weird. Like some attempt to combine Walden Pond and corporate insularity.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 2:37 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Let's cut the crap, this new Apple HQ is obviously intended to hold Steve Jobs in his Golden Throne so that death will not deprive Apple of the messiah and his benevolent rule may continue through the ages.

This structure is part of the system to keep Jobs alive, likely by hooking up will Apple zealots directly to the building to provide Job with the vital nutrients and lifeforce he will need.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 2:08 AM
99.9%-Urban .1%-Me

This design is honestly underwhelming. I was expecting way more, being that it is apple. Anyway the design is way too boring, like really a giant circular over sized doughnut...? That's all the supposedly most innovating company in the world could come up with...? Lame right?

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 "Don't play with Lightning"

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 10:33 PM
Waiting for what's next..

New Renderings

More Views from the Apple campus. (updated renderings from the city of Cupertino, CA as posted by The Apple Insider).

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ga_campus.html

Last edited by LWR; Aug 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Incorrect web site name

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 6:49 PM

Some more info:

Quote:
Apple Submits Written Application to City for New Campus Development
Submitted August 13, 2011, 12:38 AM

Apple Inc. has at long last filed its formal application with the city of Cupertino to build its new headquarters, dubbed “Apple Campus 2” in the official record.

The application contains few surprises and tracks closely the information disclosed by company founder and Chief Executive Steve Jobs when he spoke to the Cupertino City Council on June 7. That session was the first close-up look granted the public by Apple about its intentions for the nearly 176-acre site. That said, as with everything Apple, even the details are interesting...
Source and the remainder of the article: http://www.theregistrysf.com/RTRE_apple_campus_2.html

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 1:40 AM

Here's a pdf of the renderings submitted by Foster + Partners.

Underwhelming design or not it's an impressive structure. The glass in the rendering of the dining area/great hall is particularly impressive.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
This design is honestly underwhelming. I was expecting way more, being that it is apple. Anyway the design is way too boring, like really a giant circular over sized doughnut...? That's all the supposedly most innovating company in the world could come up with...? Lame right?
That's what they said about the Pentagon too, real funny.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 8:28 PM

Apple spaceship HQ might work in Cupertino

Read More: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MN751KUVFE.DTL

Quote:
If Apple sought to build its new headquarters in San Francisco or Oakland or downtown San Jose, the scheme would be preposterous: a futuristic doughnut holding 12,000 workers amid 130 acres of trees and grass and shrubs. But the office park sprawl of Silicon Valley is something else, a landscape where context does not exist. So it's refreshing to see the firm behind iPods and iPhones show real architectural ambition - even when that ambition translates into a sci-fi fantasy best viewed from a helicopter.

- While the spaceship is the main attraction, it's not the structure that would be most visible to outsiders. That honor goes to the parking garage, which would form a streamlined wall along Interstate 280 four stories tall and 1,440 feet in length, with room for 4,300 cars - 1,715 more than San Francisco's Fifth & Mission garage, the city's most spacious. The garage is gargantuan. It also eliminates the need for surface parking lots, allowing a deep green buffer between the spaceship and Planet Cupertino.

- There's hubris in all this, absolutely: No space planner would fashion offices that require you to walk nearly half a mile indoors to reach a co-worker on the far side of the doughnut (will employees be issued Segways?). The idea is to set Apple apart from its peers. "We've seen these office parks with lots of buildings, and they get pretty boring pretty fast," Jobs told the Cupertino City Council in June. "We'd like to do something better than that."

- Again, I wouldn't want to see this campus land amid anything resembling a traditional city. A far better model to emulate is in San Francisco, where the software firm Salesforce is working with Mexico's Legorreta and Legorreta to fit a campus for 8,000 workers into the compact blocks of the Mission Bay redevelopment district.

- But the office and research parks built in suburban America since 1960 have never been about good urban design. If nothing else, Appledom as imagined by Jobs would challenge the conventional wisdom in Silicon Valley that one concrete shell is as good as the next. And if a cultural and technological bellwether like Apple says we need to change, the message can't help but hit home.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 8:34 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I see suburbia isnt dead...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
I see suburbia isnt dead...
... praise God.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 6:52 PM

This really is disappointing, especially coming from one of the most innovative companies in the world.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 3:51 PM

It'll look great on google maps.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:59 PM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
This just epitomizes why I hate Silicon Valley. I have no idea how they get people to work & live there. It's the most ridiculously overrated place. It's boring, unimaginative, epitome of suburbia completely lacking in character that oddly is super expensive as well ...being in the tech industry I will NEVER move there.

All this is, is just a polished 1950-60s office design. Stale IMO.

If Apple truly wanted to be as innovative with a new campus as they are with their products and stores they'd create more a more mini-urban, neighborhood like with condos/apartments and a few stores connected for their employees to have access to (like West Village in Dallas or Easton Town Center in Columbus). Or something that includes modularity. Something that maintains corporate privacy but somehow integrates elements of the HQ with the city.

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 1:54 PM

Apple builds a suburban lemon

Read More: http://newurbannetwork.com/news-opin...suburban-lemon

Quote:

Steve Jobs, before he stepped down as Apple's CEO, released renderings of the building, which is to have four-story walls of glass that curve continuously to form an enormous circle, over four stories of underground parking. The perimeter of the 150-acre property is to be fenced to keep the public away. "It's a little like a spaceship landed," The Times quoted Jobs as saying of the building, which is intended to hold 12,000 employees and have its own power plant, fueled by natural gas. Jobs expressed pride that Apple had chosen the design despite the fact that a curved building "is not the cheapest way to build something."

- But why, in the second decade of the 21st century, would a company choose to erect a building reminds us of spaceships from corny movies produced in the 1950s? And why would a high-tech employer want to isolate its workplace from everything except nature—this at the very time when knowledge workers in their twenties and thirties are demonstrating a strong desire for stimulating urban settings? Some aspects of the choice surely reflect the predilections of the architect, Foster + Partners. Norman Foster's firm, though celebrated, has repeatedly paid inadequate attention to human scale and urban context.

- Hawthorne, in his Times piece, nails this issue. The interesting question, he says, "is whether a place like Cupertino can maintain its low-density sprawl in future decades, as the Bay Area's population continues to grow." The Cupertino City Council's eagerness to accommodate the proposed Apple headquarters "can be read," he says, "as an endorsement of a car-dependent approach to city and regional planning that might have made sense in the 1970s but will seem irresponsible or worse by 2050."

- Quite a few of the outlying business complexes built in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s have suffered a loss of allure, as New Urban Network reported in June 2010. It's hard to convert a mammoth, stand-offish corporate compound to use by multiple new, smaller users. A notorious example of this is the massive Union Carbide headquarters that was built in Danbury, Connecticut, in 1982. Union Carbide did not live much longer, and by 2007 the complex, designed by Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo and Associates, was worth less than half what it had cost to construct it. Apple may be making the same white-elephant mistake as Union Carbide. Even the dimensions of the park-like space inside the circle of the building are going to be unwieldy; Hess points out that "a one-third mile walk will be required to cross it from one meeting to another."

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 11:04 PM

Love it or hate it, Apple might be correct in calling this building "ICon". This will probably be the closest thing Silicon Valley is ever gonna get to an Empire State Building.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 1:07 AM

I find it amazing that just a few months before his death, and probably suffering a debilitating disease, Jobs took the time to present to that dinky Cupertino town board. Whether Apple likes it or not, this building is going to be a monument to Jobs and the Olympian heights that he took the company. Will it be a long decline, a collapse, or will Apple continue to flourish without Jobs? I'm dubious.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 1:58 AM
Metal Up Your !

RIP Jobs. I'm sure this will be built in his honor, in some way or another.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
I find it amazing that just a few months before his death, and probably suffering a debilitating disease, Jobs took the time to present to that dinky Cupertino town board. Whether Apple likes it or not, this building is going to be a monument to Jobs and the Olympian heights that he took the company. Will it be a long decline, a collapse, or will Apple continue to flourish without Jobs? I'm dubious.
Never know, sometimes people are even more influential dead than alive. People might buy Apple products simply for posterity reasons now.

But it is funny how Jobs purposed this project right before he died. Apple pretty much has to go through with it now, it's his last wish.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Never know, sometimes people are even more influential dead than alive. People might buy Apple products simply for posterity reasons now.

But it is funny how Jobs purposed this project right before he died. Apple pretty much has to go through with it now, it's his last wish.
This tarnishes Jobs' legacy for me. The above article nailed it on the head, this project makes me sad and frustrated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development