HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 7:33 AM

From the Saturday AZ Daily Star (5/19/12) by Becky Pallack http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...01d62d253.html

Tucson aims to annex project on Craycroft
NEIGHBORS, REMAINING IN COUNTY, FEAR TRAFFIC AND TALL BUILDINGS

To the dismay of many neighbors, the city is moving rapidly on a proposal to annex and rezone land at River and Craycroft roads for a seven-story hotel and other commercial development.
Many neighbors, frustrated by fears that, as county residents, they will have no voice with the city, are rallying to oppose the plans, citing concerns about traffic, building heights and damage to the views.
They're also upset about the fast pace, saying they learned about the plans in February as construction was beginning on part of the project and noting Pima County previously rejected plans for that site.
The development, called Rio Verde Village, would include 23 acres of shops, restaurants, a hotel, offices and parking, plus a gas station and school, which are already under construction. Homes and an assisted-living center are planned for an adjacent 17 acres.
The hotel and assisted-living center are labeled on conceptual site maps as three stories, but the requested zoning would allow up to seven stories.
The site has been vacant for years, except for event parking or for holiday vendors. It is owned by Broadway Realty and Trust Inc.
G.T. Alley III, senior vice president, said he is proud of the plans and thinks the development will be exciting.
Developers have been working on this project for 10 years, but neighbors say they were caught unawares.
A three-part zoning examiner's public hearing concluded Thursday. The meeting was quiet but contentious, with both sides whispering and shaking their heads about the other's comments.
"We've been heard, but we haven't had our questions answered," said John Rourke, a representative from the newly formed Friends of River Road Communities.
The city zoning examiner will issue a preliminary report this week and a final report next week. The City Council plans to vote on the annexation and zoning on June 5.
The council previously approved a preannexation development agreement for 65 acres last month.
The city has received 53 letters of support and 137 letters of protest on the zoning.
The large number of protests will require a supermajority vote - six out of seven - for the City Council to approve the zoning.
Neighborhood concerns are focused in three areas.
Traffic
That stretch of East River Road is one lane in each direction with a two-way left turn lane in the center.
The developer says the project would add around 9,000 trips a day to that stretch of road.
But Ahmad Al-Sughaiyer, a transportation engineer who lives nearby, said it would be more like 14,000 trips to the already over-capacity roadway. River Road is the only way to and from home for many of those who live in the neighborhoods, he said.
The development and its future residents would be in the city, but the road and traffic problems would be in the county, he added.
Alley said his company is forming a committee with concerned neighbors to bring the need for River Road improvements to the attention of government leaders.
Density and height
The property is currently zoned for low-density residential use by Pima County.
The developers are seeking annexation into the city and a planned area development rezoning, which allows flexibility on density and height.
The company is asking for up to 75 feet in certain areas, but the land slopes down 40 feet from River Road to Tanque Verde Creek, so "it really isn't going to stand out," Alley said.
Gordon Vliet, who lives next door and leads the Friends of River Road Communities, said it will be the tallest building around. Nearby apartments are three stories, and the tallest building at nearby Tucson Medical Center is four stories.
Alley called the land "a good fit" for a hotel, possibly an extended-stay hotel to serve the hospital, when the hotel market rebounds.
After meeting with the Old Fort Lowell Neighborhood Association, the developers agreed to limit the height of buildings within 100 feet of Craycroft to 30 feet to preserve the view.
They also agreed to use gradual, terraced grading on the sloped property.
Washes and trails
Neighbors doubt the developers intend to participate in the planned regional River Park trail system.
Alley said the development could include land to be dedicated to the future extension of the River Park trail system, but the developer will wait until local governments have funds and access.
"We will certainly do our part," which is dedicating sufficient space for the project, he said.
Plans call for a bicycle loop around the edge of the property and a walking path within the development.
The developers also agreed to preserve as much of the existing vegetation in the washes as possible, especially where an unnamed wash meets Tanque Verde Creek.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:58 AM
Tucsonan

demolition has begun

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
demolition has begun
They are just remodeling, not tearring down the building. I went to the hotel sale they had and spoke to some of the former employees who said it will be an extensive remodel.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
From the Saturday AZ Daily Star (5/19/12) by Becky Pallack http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...01d62d253.html

Tucson aims to annex project on Craycroft
NEIGHBORS, REMAINING IN COUNTY, FEAR TRAFFIC AND TALL BUILDINGS

To the dismay of many neighbors, the city is moving rapidly on a proposal to annex and rezone land at River and Craycroft roads for a seven-story hotel and other commercial development.
Many neighbors, frustrated by fears that, as county residents, they will have no voice with the city, are rallying to oppose the plans, citing concerns about traffic, building heights and damage to the views.
They're also upset about the fast pace, saying they learned about the plans in February as construction was beginning on part of the project and noting Pima County previously rejected plans for that site.
The development, called Rio Verde Village, would include 23 acres of shops, restaurants, a hotel, offices and parking, plus a gas station and school, which are already under construction. Homes and an assisted-living center are planned for an adjacent 17 acres.
The hotel and assisted-living center are labeled on conceptual site maps as three stories, but the requested zoning would allow up to seven stories.
The site has been vacant for years, except for event parking or for holiday vendors. It is owned by Broadway Realty and Trust Inc.
G.T. Alley III, senior vice president, said he is proud of the plans and thinks the development will be exciting.
Developers have been working on this project for 10 years, but neighbors say they were caught unawares.
A three-part zoning examiner's public hearing concluded Thursday. The meeting was quiet but contentious, with both sides whispering and shaking their heads about the other's comments.
"We've been heard, but we haven't had our questions answered," said John Rourke, a representative from the newly formed Friends of River Road Communities.
The city zoning examiner will issue a preliminary report this week and a final report next week. The City Council plans to vote on the annexation and zoning on June 5.
The council previously approved a preannexation development agreement for 65 acres last month.
The city has received 53 letters of support and 137 letters of protest on the zoning.
The large number of protests will require a supermajority vote - six out of seven - for the City Council to approve the zoning.
Neighborhood concerns are focused in three areas.
Traffic
That stretch of East River Road is one lane in each direction with a two-way left turn lane in the center.
The developer says the project would add around 9,000 trips a day to that stretch of road.
But Ahmad Al-Sughaiyer, a transportation engineer who lives nearby, said it would be more like 14,000 trips to the already over-capacity roadway. River Road is the only way to and from home for many of those who live in the neighborhoods, he said.
The development and its future residents would be in the city, but the road and traffic problems would be in the county, he added.
Alley said his company is forming a committee with concerned neighbors to bring the need for River Road improvements to the attention of government leaders.
Density and height
The property is currently zoned for low-density residential use by Pima County.
The developers are seeking annexation into the city and a planned area development rezoning, which allows flexibility on density and height.
The company is asking for up to 75 feet in certain areas, but the land slopes down 40 feet from River Road to Tanque Verde Creek, so "it really isn't going to stand out," Alley said.
Gordon Vliet, who lives next door and leads the Friends of River Road Communities, said it will be the tallest building around. Nearby apartments are three stories, and the tallest building at nearby Tucson Medical Center is four stories.
Alley called the land "a good fit" for a hotel, possibly an extended-stay hotel to serve the hospital, when the hotel market rebounds.
After meeting with the Old Fort Lowell Neighborhood Association, the developers agreed to limit the height of buildings within 100 feet of Craycroft to 30 feet to preserve the view.
They also agreed to use gradual, terraced grading on the sloped property.
Washes and trails
Neighbors doubt the developers intend to participate in the planned regional River Park trail system.
Alley said the development could include land to be dedicated to the future extension of the River Park trail system, but the developer will wait until local governments have funds and access.
"We will certainly do our part," which is dedicating sufficient space for the project, he said.
Plans call for a bicycle loop around the edge of the property and a walking path within the development.
The developers also agreed to preserve as much of the existing vegetation in the washes as possible, especially where an unnamed wash meets Tanque Verde Creek.
This is one fight I hope the NIMBYs win. There is no reason to put up a seven story high-rise in the foothills!! It WILL block views that some neighboors paid a pretty penny to live by and see. We can't just start putting up high-rises anywhere in the city. Put high-rises where they belong, down in the valley not in the hills! If the city pushes ahead with the re-zoning, I fear support for future high-rise bulidings in lagit areas will start to be erroded with the general public.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
They are just remodeling, not tearring down the building. I went to the hotel sale they had and spoke to some of the former employees who said it will be an extensive remodel.
As a Tucson resident who probably won't ever use the hotel, I'm grateful that exterior renovations are being done. That building was one of the ugliest in town.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 3:41 PM

There's finally something going on in the SW corner of Speedway & Stone.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
The old repair garage right?? It was listed as a "Tucson Oddity" and according to the article, there weren't immediate plans to tear it down. Considering they beefed up that area across the street by putting Five Guys, that brewery/restaurant and Party city, they need to beef up the old Mervyn's building as well. Just tear down the dang garage and put something decent there I say.
I was hoping that the statement from the ITB article ("The Vitamin Shoppe will occupy space at a multi-tenant pad located in front of the future Stein Mart store, along east Broadway Blvd.") meant that the old Goodyear tire shop would be torn down to make space for the new pad. I know the old building had remained to make permitting new construction easier.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
There's finally something going on in the SW corner of Speedway & Stone.

Hmm. Sadly, that would seem to be a prime spot for a QT given their pullout from the lot on Speedway and 5th.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Hmm. Sadly, that would seem to be a prime spot for a QT given their pullout from the lot on Speedway and 5th.
I tried in vain to see if I could find out what was going in there, but found nothing but old plans. I hope it's not a QT

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:36 AM

Quote:
As a Tucson resident who probably won't ever use the hotel, I'm grateful that exterior renovations are being done. That building was one of the ugliest in town.
Considering they have already started with the remodel, I couldn't find ANY design plans on what the new hotel will look like for that location??

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 3:56 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't say it was ugly, just very distinctive

You could certainly tell what era it was from. I'm looking forward to seeing what it will look like.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 4:28 AM

Does anyone know what they're building on 22nd Street, just west of Alvernon, on the south side of the street (just across from Reid Park/Dell Urich Golf Course). I drove by it Sunday and was wondering what it was.

Also, drove by the new building on West Congress just west of I-10, the new 6-story housing building (went to A-Mountain to watch the eclipse), and it looks pretty nice.

Last edited by Patrick S; May 22, 2012 at 6:01 AM. Reason: Had put east of Alvernon, instead of west of Alvernon, on accident.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 8:47 AM

Found a cool little link to a Ch. 13 (CBS) story about the building of the streetcar. They show them laying rails down on 4th Avenue, and talk about future routes on Broadway, north up Campbell and south down 6th Avenue. They also say the Federal Government has already been in contact with the city about future expansions to the streetcar system. Here's the link: http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/1...y-and-tomorrow

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Found a cool little link to a Ch. 13 (CBS) story about the building of the streetcar. They show them laying rails down on 4th Avenue, and talk about future routes on Broadway, north up Campbell and south down 6th Avenue. They also say the Federal Government has already been in contact with the city about future expansions to the streetcar system. Here's the link: http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/1...y-and-tomorrow
Great link! It's ridiculous how some citizens bash Tucson because we never do anything progressive here...yet, when Tucson does try to do something you have a lot of folks saying it's going to fail and it's a waste of money. For me, we'll never know till we try! I fully support the streetcar and I can't wait to ride it. I'm gonna do my best. It's also awesome to hear that FTA is already inquiring about extensions to this project. This shows that if you are truly serious about implementing something, then others around will want to support you...meaning the feds and private development.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 4:23 PM

I know I'm pulling this post out of nowhere, but what better place to blog my thoughts on current Tucson "skyscraper" development? So here we go...

Initially, all of these recently developed, soon to be developed, and proposed 3 to 9 story buildings were giving me heart burn. I've been waiting for that next SKYSCRAPER, since I watched the (formerly known as) UniSource Tower rise back in '85-'86 as a little boy. I was so angry when people shot down the proposed Century Tower on the SW corner of the over-rated, over-hyped, over-exaggerated library plaza (cuz, you know, it's a precious park). Lastly, I cringed when the city and the developers proposed the 25 story Sheraton at the convention center because I knew in my heart that the bad boy was too big and too tall for an initial hotel (I have a good reason for that intuition). With all that said, I was in Washington, D.C. for the 1st time in April and it was the coolest thing to see that all the buildings are basically 10 to 15 stories in the "metro" area. I walked around and around that place and it felt urban as heck. I loved it! There were no major "skyscrapers"...just medium sized buildings that seemed to fit the city. So when I came back to Tucson I came back with a different mind-set. For now, at this stage of development and progress, I don't mind these smaller "skyscrapers". As I mentioned in my first post, the District looked and felt so fresh and urban. The New Armory Building looks good. The new TEP building changed the landscape of the skyline. Now I can't wait for all these other develepments to rise up. I'm still a little disappointed that the Plaza Centro development (adjacent to the Rialto) went down in scale (two 11 story towers to two 6 story towers...I wonder if they thought of building one tower and then the other?), but 6 is better than dirt and hopefully it will still impress.

I know that was a lot of chatter, but with all that is going on, the infill and redevelopment of these lots and the modest heights of these structures will still give us that urban feel and lifestyle we all desire...in the Tucson way of course! (But I still want that skyscraper!)

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what they're building on 22nd Street, just west of Alvernon, on the south side of the street (just across from Reid Park/Dell Urich Golf Course). I drove by it Sunday and was wondering what it was.

Also, drove by the new building on West Congress just west of I-10, the new 6-story housing building (went to A-Mountain to watch the eclipse), and it looks pretty nice.
I think the construction on 22nd is the County or City's new communications bunker facility.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...87835&page=128

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 4:14 AM

Saw a story on Ch. 13 news at 6 this evening. A couple of years ago when the economy was really in the tank and tax-income was way down, the RTA and the city had to push back and delay some of the RTA's construction projects in the city. Well, this news story talked about how these projects are back on the agenda, literally, as they are being discussed at tonight's city-council meeting. These projects include (1) The final segment of the Downtown Links (2) Silberbell Rd. from Goret to Grant Rd. (3) Phase 2 of the Kolb Rd. extension to Sabino Canyon Rd. (4) Houghton Rd. from Broadway to 22nd St., including desgin of new bridge over Union Pacific Railroad (5) Grant Rd. from Stone to Park Ave.

There's a link to the news article on-line (though there isn't much more info than I just gave you) and there's a link to the city-council meeting agenda (which is also in the on-line article).

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Saw a story on Ch. 13 news at 6 this evening. A couple of years ago when the economy was really in the tank and tax-income was way down, the RTA and the city had to push back and delay some of the RTA's construction projects in the city. Well, this news story talked about how these projects are back on the agenda, literally, as they are being discussed at tonight's city-council meeting. These projects include (1) The final segment of the Downtown Links (2) Silberbell Rd. from Goret to Grant Rd. (3) Phase 2 of the Kolb Rd. extension to Sabino Canyon Rd. (4) Houghton Rd. from Broadway to 22nd St., including desgin of new bridge over Union Pacific Railroad (5) Grant Rd. from Stone to Park Ave.

There's a link to the news article on-line (though there isn't much more info than I just gave you) and there's a link to the city-council meeting agenda (which is also in the on-line article).
Here's an update on my last post, with an on-line article from Ch. 13 about what was discussed at the city-council meeting.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 9:38 AM

The state of Rio Nuevo

After holding literally dozens of meetings and piling up nearly $1M in legal fees over the past two years with few tangible results, it seems that not only has the latest Rio Nuevo board essentially become irrelevant--as asserted by Councilman Kozachik--but seems to be actively undermining the whole purpose of the TIF district with its pointless lawsuits and claims against the city of Tucson, and by not having formulated any plans to make the TCC a viable facility and build a convention hotel, which has been its primary mandate from the state.

Some have said that this has been the intention of the new state-appointed board all along--to keep the district paralyzed and ineffective, thereby providing the legislature with the ammunition to eventually dismantle Rio Nuevo altogether, and deny Tucson any additional TIF support. Granted, the city hasn't proven to be a competent manager of downtown redevelopment in the past, and the Rio Nuevo board is a volunteer group; however, the lack of any significant progress to date by the reconstituted board is inexcusable, regardless of the city's past missteps.

*Despite the Rio Nuevo board's claims of transparency, the majority of their board meeting time is spent in executive session (i.e., closed to public scrutiny), their official website has now deleted all board minutes prior to July, 2011, and their monthly TIF revenue report has not been updated since January, 2011: http://rionuevo-tucson.org/

Josh Brodesky: Like a monster, Rio Nuevo lurches down ruinous path
Arizona Daily Star
May 24, 2012

What a horror story Rio Nuevo has become. It's tempting to liken the state-run Rio Nuevo Board to the monster in Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein": an ugly and misunderstood creation, shunned by the public, that turns on its creator. But a more fitting analogy for the downtown development entity would be to simply think of the board as a zombie, mindlessly wreaking havoc on the public at large. The proof is in the legal fees. It's in the $25 million claim Rio Nuevo has filed against the city. Instead of building a conference hotel or an improved convention center downtown, Rio Nuevo has only built enmity. What a waste of time this has been.

After filing a $25 million claim against the city over needed repairs at the Tucson Convention Center, Rio Nuevo Chairwoman Jodi Bain said, "We are trying to work together, and we need the community to remember that." That's a head-scratcher, since the claim torpedoed the flimsy mediation talks between the two sides. But really, what else would you expect from the captain of a rudderless ship? Bain keeps insisting the claim is nothing more than a formality, preserving the district's right to sue down the line.

This is true. But Hizzoner, Jonathan Rothschild, noted Bain said the same thing about an earlier $47 million claim the district filed against the city. But that formality - she called it an olive branch - turned into a lawsuit. "They can always withdraw this $25 million notice of claim, but that's not the behavior I have seen," the mayor said. "From the perspective of the person representing the taxpayers and the city of Tucson, this is not a step in the right direction." Well it is, if the right direction means walking in endless circles.

For full article: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...e1e95970c.html

Tucson drops mediation plan with Rio Nuevo
Council ends it after the district files $25M claim against TCC

by Darren DaRonco
Arizona Daily Star
May 23, 2012

The City Council voted Tuesday afternoon to end all mediation with the Rio Nuevo District after receiving a $25 million notice of claim against the Tucson Convention Center. The vote was calculated to force the dispute between the city and state-appointed Rio Nuevo Board over who owns what property and owes what money to go to a judge to decide.

"If trying to talk to (the Rio Nuevo Board) about putting $1 million into the TCC generates a new $25 million notice of claim," said City Attorney Mike Rankin, "I think my responsibility is to tell the mayor and council that there is no reason to spend time in mediation." Rankin said his next step will be to advise Rio Nuevo that the mediation is off, "and that any offers that we had put on the table are no longer on the table. And we'll let the litigation play out."

For full article: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...d8d575456.html

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Some have said that this has been the intention of the new state-appointed board all along--to keep the district paralyzed and ineffective, thereby providing the legislature with the ammunition to eventually dismantle Rio Nuevo altogether, and deny Tucson any additional TIF support.
At this point, it's pretty clear to me that this is the endgame. It's as if Rio Nuevo is being run by a group of real-life Ron Swansons who, as volunteers, have no qualms about being as unproductive as possible to demonstrate the harms of big government.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest